• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

19 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Swamp Women  - Seen it wasn't worth the time it took to watch it. lol

38 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Swamp Women (1956) is considered an adventure-noir by wikipedia.  Interesting little movie staring Marie Windsor, Beverly Garland and Touch (Mike) Connors.  It's in color.

Swampwomen.jpg

Even with Joe's take on this film I was still interested to see it just for how they made the gals,  especially Maria Windsor,   look in the swamp of Louisiana.   

Maria is known for looking all dolled up,  and often, regardless of the location or the circumstances,   the women in such films have nice hairdos and make-up,  like they escaped from a beauty parlor instead of a prison!    But it appears Roger Corman treated the ladies roughly!     

Windsor confirmed this, saying Corman is "such a nice guy. but he's sure hard on you out on the location".

Mike Connors recalled, "the girls in that picture had it much worse than I did. They were playing escaped convicts, and they captured me. They had to trudge through the mud, the swamps, pulling this rowboat, and I was sitting in the rowboat high and dry.

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Thanks! I'll have to check these out.  I am especially interested in Island Women.  I love the poster!   The Unholy Wife poster is pretty amazing too: "Half-Angel, Half-Devil, she made him half-a-man!" 

Re: Timothy Carey.  I don't really know what to make of him.  He's a very interesting screen presence.  And his way of speaking through clenched teeth is odd, but works for his screen persona.

speedy,  you've probably heard of  Paths of Glory.  If you watch that, you'll be getting Stanley Kubrick and Timothy Carey in one film !

Kubrick must have liked Carey, since he did use him in two of his movies.  Paths of Glory is a great film, I love it,  I own it on a Criterion edition  (and you know Criterion only bothers with truly great works...)    Now, it's not a noir, but you can't have everything.  

However !   Kubrick did make another noir, in fact, it was even before The Killing.  He must have liked the word "kill" in movie titles, or thought it was noirish -sounding, or something, because this earlier Kubrick noir is called Killer's Kiss.  I really like it, it's very unusual and original---and it's got some unforgettable very noirish settings, including a fantastic scene in a manniquin factory.

I do know what you mean about how sometimes Kubrick's work can go on too long and be a bit "blah" , as you put it  (I like that-"blah"  !), the  most obvious example of that being the wretched Barry Lyndon.  I hate Barry Lyndon, it goes on and on, and I just can't get with the characters  or their stories, Barry is so NOT interesting to me. Also it's one of those "epic" type films that covers years and years -- I never like that kind of story, it always feels like the movie itself goes on for years and years.

However, Kubrick did make some good, even great films, and certainly his early work (including those two noirs we talked about and Paths of Glory ) are definitely worth watching.

ps:  Yes, Timothy Carey is so weird !  But I love him, he steals every scene he's in in every film he's in.  This guy is so strange. 

Timothy Carey: American actor (1929-1994) (born: 1929 - died: 1994)

Weird ?  No kidding !  I mean, look at this guy !

You might be interested to know that Carey himself made a movie; apparently it's way out there in terms of bizarre-ness.  I've always wanted to see it, but never had the chance.  I don't know if TCM ever shows it.  It's called The World's Greatest Sinner.

6 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

speedy,  you've probably heard of  Paths of Glory.  If you watch that, you'll be getting Stanley Kubrick and Timothy Carey in one film !

Kubrick must have liked Carey, since he did use him in two of his movies.  Paths of Glory is a great film, I love it,  I own it on a Criterion edition  (and you know Criterion only bothers with truly great works...)    Now, it's not a noir, but you can't have everything.  

Yep, Kubrick liked Carey...for a while anyway.

The following excerpt is from Carey's Wiki bio page:

During the filming of Paths of Glory, Carey was reportedly disruptive and tried to draw more attention to his character. Due to this behavior, a scene in which Carey and the other actors were served a duck dinner as a final meal before execution took 57 takes to complete. Carey then faked his own kidnapping to generate personal publicity, which prompted Kubrick and producer James B. Harris to fire him. As a result, the film does not depict the three condemned soldiers during the battle scene, and a double was used during a scene in which a priest hears Carey's character's confession. The scene was filmed with the double's back to the camera.[2]

(...yep, "Weird"?...you betcha)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Thanks! I'll have to check these out.  I am especially interested in Island Women.  I love the poster!   The Unholy Wife poster is pretty amazing too: "Half-Angel, Half-Devil, she made him half-a-man!" 

Re: Timothy Carey.  I don't really know what to make of him.  He's a very interesting screen presence.  And his way of speaking through clenched teeth is odd, but works for his screen persona.

The Unholy Wife is nothing like the poster.. Dont expect much.

3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

However !   Kubrick did make another noir, in fact, it was even before The Killing.  He must have liked the word "kill" in movie titles, or thought it was noirish -sounding, or something, because this earlier Kubrick noir is called Killer's Kiss.  I really like it, it's very unusual and original---and it's got some unforgettable very noirish settings, including a fantastic scene in a manniquin factory.

I do know what you mean about how sometimes Kubrick's work can go on too long and be a bit "blah" , as you put it  (I like that-"blah"  !), the  most obvious example of that being the wretched Barry Lyndon.  I hate Barry Lyndon, it goes on and on, and I just can't get with the characters  or their stories, Barry is so NOT interesting to me. Also it's one of those "epic" type films that covers years and years -- I never like that kind of story, it always feels like the movie itself goes on for years and years.

However, Kubrick did make some good, even great films, and certainly his early work (including those two noirs we talked about and Paths of Glory ) are definitely worth watching.

ps:  Yes, Timothy Carey is so weird !  But I love him, he steals every scene he's in in every film he's in.  This guy is so strange. 

You might be interested to know that Carey himself made a movie; apparently it's way out there in terms of bizarre-ness.  I've always wanted to see it, but never had the chance.  I don't know if TCM ever shows it.  It's called The World's Greatest Sinner.

I have heard of Paths of Glory, in fact, I recorded it during Kirk Douglas' memorial tribute, but I haven't watched it yet.  I have been wanting to see it, mostly because of the multiple recommendations I've received on this message board.  I'm not a big war movie fan, but I want to see this film based on the acclaim.  Timothy Carey is so weird.  I feel like he only could have existed in the Golden Age.  I don't know if audiences today would put up with his strange characterizations and speech patterns.  I'd be interested in seeing Carey's film.  

I'd be really interested in seeing Killer's Kiss.  Eddie Muller mentioned this film in the intro for the film.  I'd also read that Rodney Dangerfield is one of the extras at the end of the bar during the bar brawl scene in The Killers.  I kept trying to find him and I *think* I spotted him, but wasn't sure.

Re: epic movies.  I agree with you.  David Lean seems to have segued into these types of movies in the 60s, which is a shame, because Blithe Spirit, Brief Encounter, and Summertime are all great films and are a reasonable length.  I always feel like epic movies are intended more for the visual aspect and less for the actual story.  Very few 3+ hour long films deserve to be that long.  It's a shame that Hollywood these days cannot seem to produce a film that is less than 2.5 hours long.  That's why I love so many of the pre-code and 30s films, they're a short 65-75 minutes.  I'm sure that back then, since movies were usually double features, putting two short films back to back wasn't a big deal.  Nowadays, people would probably feel cheated if they went to a movie that was less than 90 minutes long--and nobody seems to want to sit through more than one film.  Some people can't even sit through one!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I’m watching “Paths of Glory” right now. Ralph Meeker is in this film too! An added bonus! 

I wouldn’t have recognized George Macready if I didn’t know he was in this film. 

• Like 2

I've always wanted to see it, but never had the chance.  I don't know if TCM ever shows it.  It's called The World's Greatest Sinner.

Yes it was showned , the score was composed by Frank Zappa

14 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Its available on DVD, its interesting I'll give it that

The World's Greatest Sinner Poster

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Seen it wasn't worth the time it took to watch it. lol

We like Swamp Women and watch it occasionally.  Have in one of those crime sets with many movies.  Quality is not too good, especially the parts in New Orleans.  It is almost a comedy.

As with any "swamp" movie, it is always interesting to see how the mosquitoes never bother anybody.  Another interesting aspect is how the four women use a knife to cut their jeans down to shorts.  All four  perfectly matched at the same very short length.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

We like Swamp Women and watch it occasionally.  Have in one of those crime sets with many movies.  Quality is not too good, especially the parts in New Orleans.  It is almost a comedy.

As with any "swamp" movie, it is always interesting to see how the mosquitoes never bother anybody.  Another interesting aspect is how the four women use a knife to cut their jeans down to shorts.  All four  perfectly matched at the same very short length.

Yeah, I've seen Swamp Women. Definitely a low point for Marie Windsor. But it's fun!

On 7/3/2020 at 2:13 PM, speedracer5 said:

I once had a dream with Timothy Carey in it in which he had his teeth clenched but the front ones were on hinges and he stuck out his tongue a foot and a half. I woke up screaming and was afraid to go back to sleep the rest of the night. Way too much film noir viewing in my life.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, I've seen Swamp Women. Definitely a low point for Marie Windsor. But it's fun!

Found this photo,   with a funny caption:  "Proof that I am not Marie Windsor".         Ok,   but is Illeana her offspring?  

Illeana Douglas on Twitter: "Proof that I am not Marie Windsor ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spoilerette. Though TSOTR is a pretty grim flick from start to finish, I got a kick out of the

local busybody, played by Dame May Whitty, finally being given her walking papers at

the end of the movie. Much deserved. 

After reading several reviews of THE SIGN OF THE RAM, I may have to pass on watching the film. I usually always watch Noir Alley on Sunday morning. That way I can read comments on this site before I invest the time.  It's pretty telling that the most recent posts don't mention it at all. Those that do, don't seem very positive. 

6 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

After reading several reviews of THE SIGN OF THE RAM, I may have to pass on watching the film. I usually always watch Noir Alley on Sunday morning. That way I can read comments on this site before I invest the time.  It's pretty telling that the most recent posts don't mention it at all. Those that do, don't seem very positive. 

I've never seen it I'll be watching this morning

Just finished watching The Sign of the Ram.   Fairly dull overall, although I can agree that Susan Peters did a very good job in her role. 

To me, it just seemed like another Hollywood melodrama.  

I agree with the general consensus of those who've posted about Sign of the Ram here:  a bit dull and slow-moving, and more of a family melodrama than a noir.  In fact, I'm usually pretty open-minded when it comes to what films can be called "noir", I agree with cigarjoe that the definition can be pretty broad, depending on how each individual responds to a film.  However, I will say it's really a stretch to call Sign of the Ram a noir.  And I'm not sure Eddie gave a sufficiently convincing explanation for why he regards it as such.  Ok, it does have some dark themes, and lots of atmosphere with the spooky old house and the crashing waves, etc.  I might put it more in the class of "overwrought family drama plus an eerie factor"--genuinely ghostly movies come to mind, like Portrait of Jennie or The Uninvited or even The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.  Of course, there's no ghost as such in SOTR, but the (supposedly) Cornish seaside and all those thunderstorms provide moody effects to compensate.  Actually, a slightly more apt comparison might be Rebecca, although in the case of Sign of the Ram, the Rebecca-type character is still alive.

Poor Susan Peters !  I knew little about her, and had no idea she'd experienced such a difficult life.  I do agree that she was quite good in this movie, quite effectively conveying a complex of emotions---bitterness, jealously, isolation, fear (of being left alone), guile - and a pleasant mask of feigned kindness to conceal it all.  In fact,  her character could give a Master Class in passive-aggressive behaviour.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I agree with the general consensus of those who've posted about Sign of the Ram here:  a bit dull and slow-moving, and more of a family melodrama than a noir.  In fact, I'm usually pretty open-minded when it comes to what films can be called "noir", I agree with cigarjoe that the definition can be pretty broad, depending on how each individual responds to a film.  However, I will say it's really a stretch to call Sign of the Ram a noir.  And I'm not sure Eddie gave a sufficiently convincing explanation for why he regards it as such.  Ok, it does have some dark themes, and lots of atmosphere with the spooky old house and the crashing waves, etc.  I might put it more in the class of "overwrought family drama plus an eerie factor"--genuinely ghostly movies come to mind, like Portrait of Jennie or The Uninvited or even The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.  Of course, there's no ghost as such in SOTR, but the (supposedly) Cornish seaside and all those thunderstorms provide moody effects to compensate.  Actually, a slightly more apt comparison might be Rebecca, although in the case of Sign of the Ram, the Rebecca-type character is still alive.

Poor Susan Peters !  I knew little about her, and had no idea she'd experienced such a difficult life.  I do agree that she was quite good in this movie, quite effectively conveying a complex of emotions---bitterness, jealously, isolation, fear (of being left alone), guile - and a pleasant mask of feigned kindness to conceal it all.  In fact,  her character could give a Master Class in passive-aggressive behaviour.

I got the feeling that Eddie wasn't convinced it was a noir either and that is why he wasn't convincing.  It could be as simple as "Sign of the Ram" is in the TCM library and therefore it costs little for it to be shown. I think the story of what actually happened to Susan Peters and her husband is more noirish than anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

I got the feeling that Eddie wasn't convinced it was a noir either and that is why he wasn't convincing.  It could be as simple as "Sign of the Ram" is in the TCM library and therefore it costs little for it to be shown. I think the story of what actually happened to Susan Peters and her husband is more noirish than anything.

Agreed !  I thought so too;  as soon as Eddie had recounted Susan Peters' sad story, including what happened with her ex (Richard Quine), I said to my husband, "Now that story's a lot more noir than the movie we just watched."

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to when Eddie presents Young Frankenstein as "slapstick bedroom noir."

young-frankenstein-madeline-kahn-dance-y

• Haha 2

Next week's Noir Alley film will be Bodyguard (RKO - 1948),  with Laurence Tierney and Priscilla Lane (in her final film).

Directed by Richard Fleischer,  who would direct the now classic noir, The Narrow Margin.  4 years later.

Bodyguard (RKO, 1948). Poster (30" X 40"). Crime.. ... Movie | Lot ...

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 7:26 AM, TheCid said:

Anyway, why is it being shown if so poor or do we need to wait for Eddie to explain that?

In the outro he related that July 3 would have been Peters' 99th birthday. So I guess it was shown as a tribute to her. Or maybe coincidental?

The movie was pretty disappointing at the end. It needed a twist of some kind. But early on it was interesting in a low key way. Nothing dramatic early on but the rather long exposition lent an ominous tone which held me a little. Waiting for something to happen. To see her go from good to bad was handled fairly well. Quite medieval to think that just because one's father was insane precluded having any children of one's own. Peters' did a good job. Did the movie have a Gothic feel? Very slight, probably, but it made me recollect The Uninvited, a ghost story with a similar seaside setting.

///

• Like 1

the Sign of the Ram is considered Noir at several movie sites,it is different that's all.

Ram Bam, thank you ma'am.

• Haha 1