Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

1 hour ago, SadPanda said:

Did you enjoy Eddie's wraparound talk today?  I did.

I found Eddie's "wraparound" today quite interesting, especially the tales of Lawrence Tierney's wild ways  (in real life, that is.)  In fact, for some reason his behaviour, outrageous though it clearly was, struck me as kind of funny.

Although "Seinfeld" is a (wonderfully smart and funny) television sit-com, not a film noir, I do wish Eddie had mentioned Tierney's one-time appearance in a very early episode of that great show. He played Elaine's father and was intimidating as hell.  SadPanda fills us in a little on the Seinfeld thing:

"That guy really was scary - reputably on screen and off. When he appeared on an episode of Seinfeld (playing Elaine's father) it's said that everyone was so intimidated by him that he was eliminated from all future episodes. "    Thanks, SadPanda, for reminding us of that episode.

ps:  I can't resist:  Since we're on a bit of a tangent , talking about Seinfeld, I will observe that clearly at least some of the writers and producers of the show were noir fans. There are several examples:  Jerry and George bullying/ threatening Newman to find out what happened to Kramer.  It's hilarious, they start talking really fast and telling him to "talk".  (Newman reveals that Kramer has set out for California.)

Also, the episode in which Kramer's mother and Newman (Newman again !)  flirt under a street lamp  (although I think it's broad daylight).  They engage in suggestive film noirish dialogue, with sexy saxophone music playing in the background.

Also:  the episode where Jerry inadvertently allows the couch from the lobby in Elaine's apartment building to be stolen. The bit where he and Elaine try to figure out what to do is so funny, Elaine in this Joan Crawford-looking outfit with big padded shoulders, pacing back and forth, telling Jerry, "Shut up, shut up, I tell you, I've got to think!  Gimme a drink."  So funny, but particularly so to those familiar with classic film noir.

edit:  sorry, I just have to...it's so damn funny, especially if you're familiar with noir.  Here's that scene I referred to above, where Jerry and George "interrogate"  Newman.  So funny, such an obvious homage to noir, too:

• Like 3

Love that episode of Seinfeld. George singing Master of the House. LOL. There's a little more to the story of Lawrence Tierney and that episode. He had taken a large knife from the set of Jerry's kitchen. He had it under his ( Tireney's) jacket. Jerry asked Tierney what he had under his jacket, he took out the knife held it over Jerry's head and started to make the screeching noise from Psycho. Julia Louise and Jason Alexander witnessed it. That's why they were frightened, Jason said it scared the c--p out of them and that's why they didn't ask him back and they were going to make Tierney's character as Elaine's father a recurring character but his behavior made them change their mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Love that episode of Seinfeld. George singing Master of the House. LOL. There's a little more to the story of Lawrence Tierney and that episode. He had taken a large knife from the set of Jerry's kitchen. He had it under his ( Tireney's) jacket. Jerry asked Tierney what he had under his jacket, he took out the knife held it over Jerry's head and started to make the screeching noise from Psycho. Julia Louise and Jason Alexander witnessed it. That's why they were frightened, Jason said it scared the c--p out of them and that's why they didn't ask him back and they were going to make Tierney's character as Elaine's father a recurring character but his behavior made them change their mind.

Tierney was his own worst enemy, by the sound of it.  I wonder if he ever regretted his behaviour,  shutting himself out from one of the smartest most successful tv shows ever.

ps:  I just realized, in that earlier post where I cite some Seinfeld episodes, I must use the phrase  "so funny" about 10 times.  I usually try to vary my writing a little more than that, but dammit,  "so funny"  so aptly describes those scenes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Tierney was his own worst enemy, by the sound of it.  I wonder if he ever regretted his behaviour,  shutting himself out from one of the smartest most successful tv shows ever.

ps:  I just realized, in that earlier post where I cite some Seinfeld episodes, I must use the phrase  "so funny" about 10 times.  I usually try to vary my writing a little more than that, but dammit,  "so funny"  so aptly describes those scenes.

So funny does describe those episodes and so many more. Jerry and that suede jacket with the pink striped lining, hilarious.  I don't think you can overuse "funny" to describe Seinfeld.

I agree, Tierney was his own worst enemy. Tierney's mom committed suicide. I think mental illness may have been in the genes and Tierney was most likely afflicted. Sad

edited by me 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

So funny does describe those episodes and so many more. Jerry and that suede jacket with the pink polka dot lining, hilarious.  I don't think you can overuse "funny" to describe Seinfeld.

I agree, Tierney was his own worst enemy. Tierney's mom committed suicide. I think mental illness may have been in the genes and Tierney was most likely afflicted. Sad.

Tierney's mom committed suicide when she was 64, so Tierney himself was 41 when that happened. He actually lived to be quite old for somebody who had been in as many brawls as he had and had been as hard a drinker as he was. He was days away from being 83 when he died. He got acting jobs until his late 70s when a stroke sidelined him.  He was the last person to have a line on "Hill Street Blues".  I really got interested in his life story after seeing in a couple of films. I think his best was "Born To Kill".  His younger brother Gerard took the stage name "Scott Brady" in part because of the negative impact being associated with Lawrence could have had on his career. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

Tierney's mom committed suicide when she was 64, so Tierney himself was 41 when that happened. He actually lived to be quite old for somebody who had been in as many brawls as he had and had been as hard a drinker as he was. He was days away from being 83 when he died. He got acting jobs until his late 70s when a stroke sidelined him.  He was the last person to have a line on "Hill Street Blues".  I really got interested in his life story after seeing in a couple of films. I think his best was "Born To Kill".  His younger brother Gerard took the stage name "Scott Brady" in part because of the negative impact being associated with Lawrence could have had on his career. 

Scott Brady, Lawrence's brother sadly died when he was 60 of a pulmonary ailment. they had a 3rd brother who was also an actor, Edward Tierney. Sadly he died when he was 55 . Not a good family history. Had Lawrence not behaved the way he did, he might have had a bigger career. Sad about the mother and a sad story all around for that family.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Scott Brady, Lawrence's brother sadly died when he was 60 of a pulmonary ailment. they had a 3rd brother who was also an actor, Edward Tierney. Sadly he died when he was 55 of diabetic shock. Not a good family history. Had Lawrence not behaved the way he did, he might have had a bigger career. Sad about the mother and a sad story all around for that family.

Interesting thing about Scott Brady - he was offered the role of Archie Bunker on All In the Family and turned it down.  Also, Harrison Ford turned down the role of Mike Stivic.  Would Ford have gotten the role of Solo  in Star Wars if audiences had been watching him be called "meathead" on TV for the past six years? It's funny sometimes how things turn out.

• Like 3

There was a rumor that Tom Selleck was offered role of Indiana Jones.  I found Eddie's comments regarding Priscilla Lane interesting.  I can't picture Ford as Mike Stivic, but then I see Rob Reiner in my head.  Interesting background about Tierney's Mom committing suicide.  Watching CBS Sunday Morning, found out the Melissa Gilbert never found out until later years that her Dad killed himself (I think her Mom told her he died from pneumonia).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

There was a rumor that Tom Selleck was offered role of Indiana Jones.  I found Eddie's comments regarding Priscilla Lane interesting.  I can't picture Ford as Mike Stivic, but then I see Rob Reiner in my head.  Interesting background about Tierney's Mom committing suicide.  Watching CBS Sunday Morning, found out the Melissa Gilbert never found out until later years that her Dad killed himself (I think her Mom told her he died from pneumonia).

I think Tom Selleck could probably have pulled off the role of Indy, but I think Ford did wonders for the role that it's impossible to think of anyone else as Indy. But like you, I can't see Ford as 'Meathead' on ALL IN THE FAMILY either.

It's interesting that Ford has gone on to star in 2 of the most successful movie series of all time, the STAR WARS franchise (the original trilogy and FORCE AWAKENS) and the Indiana Jones films.  Would he have had the same level of success if he had taken on the role of Archie Bunker's son-in-law? Who knows...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

So funny does describe those episodes and so many more. Jerry and that suede jacket with the pink striped lining, hilarious.  I don't think you can overuse "funny" to describe Seinfeld.

I agree, Tierney was his own worst enemy. Tierney's mom committed suicide. I think mental illness may have been in the genes and Tierney was most likely afflicted. Sad

edited by me 

I almost forgot...there's another television show, also from the late '80s /early '90s,  where I've seen Lawrence Tierney.  I'm a big fan of "Star Trek: The Next Generation", and in an early episode,  (I think Season 1),  Captain Picard and Data take some R and R time on the ship's Holodeck.  Picard is a fan of 1940s crime novels and film noir, and he sets up the Holodeck for a film noir type adventure.  He is private detective "Dixon Hill", and he has a somewhat unnerving encounter with some noir criminal types, led by Mr. Lawrence Tierney.  

Star Trek TNG 30: The Big Goodbye - Hero Collector

It's a fun episode.

edit:  ps:  I believe that Star Trek TNG episode is titled "The Big Goodbye".  Clearly someone involved with the show's writing was also a noir fan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry everyone,  I'm not trying to derail this thread.  But I couldn't resist, here's a pic of Captain Picard as private eye Dixon Hill, and Data as --not sure, some kind of sidekick to Dixon Hill.   An android private dick !

image.jpeg.c965f8184aca4073cd473e1617ed97de.jpeg

• Haha 1

Next week on Noir Alley is the Warner Bros 1946 film Three Strangers;    

Three Strangers poster.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

OK, watched  Tierney's  Kill Or Be Killed nothing special. An Eagle Lion Picture that takes place in a river port city along the Amazon. Tierney is a believe it or not, an air conditioning installer who when he goes to get paid from Huerta who owns Huerta's  International Cafe finds Huerta dead and himself caught leaning over the body. most amusing part was the sign below....

X4RmfAn.jpg

I'd want to be the genuine blonde inspector 😎

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

OK, watched  Tierney's  Kill Or Be Killed nothing special. An Eagle Lion Picture that takes place in a river port city along the Amazon. Tierney is a believe it or not, an air conditioning installer who when he goes to get paid from Huerta who owns Huerta's  International Cafe finds Huerta dead and himself caught leaning over the body. most amusing part was the sign below....

X4RmfAn.jpg

LOL

And NOW if I could ONLY come up a new variation on that old "carpet matching the drapes" line, I'd be all set here.

(...but alas, nothing is springing readily to mind)  ;)

9 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

X4RmfAn.jpg

Can't help but stimulate one's envision-ment of how exactly Huerta ensures that the blondes are "genuine".

• Haha 3

Not a bad little film. The location scenes help. And Priscilla Lane is fun as Tierney's girlfriend.

After Tierney was fired and got involved with the meat packing family, he reminded me a bit of  a

poor man's Philip Marlowe, though I don't think Marlowe was ever involved with meat packing. 

And at a little over an hour it moves along at a good clip. 

Sure, Jerry with his European carry all, nttawwt,  was not the toughest guy around, but I wouldn't

ruin a nice jacket like that just because Tierney was such a boor. He should have given Tierney a

quick shot to the stomach and then run like hell. Old Tierney may have been tough, but I doubt he

could move very quickly. 

14 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I wouldn't ruin a nice jacket like that just because Tierney was such a boor. 

It was a simple matter of saying "okay, you walk ahead a ways - I'll catch up."

Jerry doesn't punch - especially not tough guys. But he was disappointingly lame in this particular moment.

38 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Not a bad little film. The location scenes help. And Priscilla Lane is fun as Tierney's girlfriend.

After Tierney was fired and got involved with the meat packing family, he reminded me a bit of  a

poor man's Philip Marlowe, though I don't think Marlowe was ever involved with meat packing

And at a little over an hour it moves along at a good clip. 

Sure, Jerry with his European carry all, nttawwt,  was not the toughest guy around, but I wouldn't

ruin a nice jacket like that just because Tierney was such a boor. He should have given Tierney a

quick shot to the stomach and then run like hell. Old Tierney may have been tough, but I doubt he

could move very quickly. 

"Meat packing", ya say? SURE he did, then.

Wasn't Marlowe supposed to have had a little fling with his partner's wife in The Maltese Falc.....

Oops, sorry. That was Sam Spade, wasn't it.

(...ya know, I always DID get those two guys confused with each other)  

;)

2 hours ago, SadPanda said:

It was a simple matter of saying "okay, you walk ahead a ways - I'll catch up."

Jerry doesn't punch - especially not tough guys. But he was disappointingly lame in this particular moment.

Yeah, it wasn't his finest. Why ruin a perfectly nice jacket just to appease Tierney. Oh well.

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

"Meat packing", ya say? SURE he did, then.

Wasn't Marlowe supposed to have had a little fling with his partner's wife in The Maltese Falc.....

Oops, sorry. That was Sam Spade, wasn't it.

(...ya know, I always DID get those two guys confused with each other)  

;)

An inordinate number of Marlowe's clients were packing something, but it wasn't meat or a gun.

I always thought Spade was more of a rough and tumble and unsophisticated guy compared to the

chess playing, literature quoting Marlowe, but you need both types in the PI game. 

• Like 1

His partner (Sam Spade's) was Miles Archer.  I just finished a compendium of Ross MacDonald Archer mysteries.  When it came to the film, he became Harper.  I've seen on this board that people have mixed reactions to the film.  I liked it better than The Drowning Pool (shouldn't have been made).

When it was said about walking ahead a bit, it reminded me of De Niro telling Lorraine Bracco to walk a little way to see some clothes (expensive).  They planned to kill her because her husband betrayed the Mob.  This was in Goodfellas (which I thought was far superior to The Departed).

8 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

This was in Goodfellas (which I thought was far superior to The Departed).

Far superior, absolutely.

• Like 1

I wasn't that impressed with BODYGUARD, but I've enjoyed learning about Lawrence Tierney. He was certainly and interesting guy. I remember that Seinfeld episode. I had no idea that actor had such a storied past. It's amazing he outlived both of his brothers considering his lifestyle.  

I'm looking forward to THREE STRANGERS. I've never seen it and I really like Greenstreet and Lorre. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I wasn't that impressed with BODYGUARD, but I've enjoyed learning about Lawrence Tierney. He was certainly and interesting guy. I remember that Seinfeld episode. I had no idea that actor had such a storied past. It's amazing he outlived both of his brothers considering his lifestyle.  

I'm looking forward to THREE STRANGERS. I've never seen it and I really like Greenstreet and Lorre. 

Three Strangers is a good film and a fine product of the the Warner Brothers studio system of the 40s;     John Huston had written the basis story outline in 1937.    Too bad he was off doing war documentaries and thus couldn't direct the film (not that Jean Negulesco does do a fine job here).

Also good to see Geraldine Fitzgerald in a solid,  leading actress role;    in 1946 she starred in another noir,  also directed by Negulesco,   Nobody Lives Forever with John Garfield.        

While Three Strangers is long on words,  and shot on action (for a noir \ crime film),   we all know that Greenstreet is a man that loves to talk!