Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

45 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Three Strangers is a good film and a fine product of the the Warner Brothers studio system of the 40s;     John Huston had written the basis story outline in 1937.    Too bad he was off doing war documentaries and thus couldn't direct the film (not that Jean Negulesco does do a fine job here).

Also good to see Geraldine Fitzgerald in a solid,  leading actress role;    in 1946 she starred in another noir,  also directed by Negulesco,   Nobody Lives Forever with John Garfield.        

While Three Strangers is long on words,  and shot on action (for a noir \ crime film),   we all know that Greenstreet is a man that loves to talk!

Bosley Crowther wrote of the Three Strangers, "Duplicities and violences complicate their lots, but Fate—that inscrutable mystery—deals the final blow. Such is the theme of the story, and the action which bears it out is full-bodied melodrama of a shrewd and sophisticated sort"

Sounds not too bad.

20 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

Bosley Crowther wrote of the Three Strangers, "Duplicities and violences complicate their lots, but Fate—that inscrutable mystery—deals the final blow. Such is the theme of the story, and the action which bears it out is full-bodied melodrama of a shrewd and sophisticated sort"

Sounds not too bad.

As for "sounds not too bad":       I guess you didn't see the quote associated with my avatar:   There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

This is a line spoken by Leslie Howard in The Scarlet Pimpernel;      

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I guess you didn't see the quote associated with my avatar:   There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

Umm, no - I didn't notice that.

I never pay attention to pimpernels anyway.

• Haha 1
On 7/12/2020 at 11:48 AM, Bronxgirl48 said:

I laughed out loud when Eddie said "I can't be sure if Tierney was a contributing factor, but after this film Priscilla Lane retired from acting"

Apart from the kinky pleasures of seeing kick-**** Larry on the silver screen, plus the always youthful Priscilla in what might be described as her signature persona of the supportive and charming girlfriend/sidekick (She had a cute Nancy Drew-ish vibe here), I have to agree with mr6666 -- I thought BODYGUARD, although tautly directed and moderately entertaining, was nevertheless fairly routine.

I can see why Priscilla decided to retire after this film! A nothing part anyone could have played..........

• Like 2

I thought Bodyguard was ok, but why was it so short? My cable guide had it running for 90 mins and it turned out to be barely an hour! Was a bit disconcerting seeing Tierney as a good guy (though I did see one other film where he was a good guy). Poor Priscilla Lane. Probably a good idea to retire after this film......I wonder what she thought of Tierney? LOL.

• Like 1
On 7/12/2020 at 8:02 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Next week on Noir Alley is the Warner Bros 1946 film Three Strangers;    

Three Strangers poster.jpg

I 've  seen  Three Strangers a few times. I really like it. In fact,  the last time I watched it was New Year's Eve,  on the excuse that it's a New Year's Eve film ;  not really, it's about the Chinese New Year, which as we know doesn't coincide with the Western New Year.  Still, it was a fun reason to watch it.  I actually had it on a videotape, and that's how we watched it.  A few days later a package arrived from Amazon-- my husband had ordered it for me .  So now we have the DVD of it.  And well worth having it is, too.

Actually, full disclosure:  I realize this is an unworthy emotion, but I'm actually a little put out that Eddie's showing this.  For ages nobody else seemed to know about Three Strangers.  You know that thing, where you like something  (movie, book, band, whatever) and nobody else seems to know about it, and you kind of like it that way?  I 'm a bit like that about Three Strangers, it was like one of my secret obscure old movies.  Now you're all going to know about it  !!!

Hey, I said it was an unworthy emotion  !  😆

Anyway, as I guess you've all figured, I like this film a lot.  I always love Peter Lorre, who plays a different type of person from his usual characters in this one.  And Sidney Greenstreet is his usual Sidney Greenstreet self, which I find very entertaining.  I think Three Strangers is a fascinating film, beautifully directed and acted, and with a very different kind of storyline.

But I'll refrain from saying anything further for fear of spoilers.  Maybe this weekend I'll say a little more about it, after everyone's seen it  ( blah, my special secret movie no more !)

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, omm said:

Concerning Bodyguard, did I miss something?

When exactly did Borden enter the picture?

Is his slumping body in the car on the railroad tracks his first appearance?

Sorry, omm, I don't know what happened with that either. It's like they just decided to skip all that and hope the audience accepts that someone framed Carter.  Like a lot of these shorter, lower-budget noirs, they seem to skimp on details  and just hope the audience follows along.

42 minutes ago, omm said:

Concerning Bodyguard, did I miss something?

When exactly did Borden enter the picture?

Is his slumping body in the car on the railroad tracks his first appearance?

Yes, you missed what happened in the beginning and no that was not Borden;s first appearance slumped over in the car. Borden was the police Lt. Tierney reported to. In the beginning, Borden gets Tierney fired. Borden was Tierney's boss. Borden was on the take. He was also blackmailing the meat packer's owner nephew because he knew that they had killed the meat inspector and Bordon said it was an accident.
The film starts with Tierney getting fired and punching Borden in the face in Borden's office.  Borden balled Tierney out for ruining what was going to be a raid on a gambling place.They framed Tierney for Bordon's murder because they knew Borden had fired him so he was the perfect patsy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Actually, full disclosure:  I realize this is an unworthy emotion, but I'm actually a little put out that Eddie's showing this.  For ages nobody else seemed to know about Three Strangers.  You know that thing, where you like something  (movie, book, band, whatever) and nobody else seems to know about it, and you kind of like it that way?  I 'm a bit like that about Three Strangers, it was like one of my secret obscure old movies.  Now you're all going to know about it  !!!

It's not as unusual an instinct as you might think. Many of us feel a kind of possessive pleasure when we harbor knowledge of pieces that are lesser-known by other people.

4 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I 've  seen  Three Strangers a few times. I really like it. In fact,  the last time I watched it was New Year's Eve,  on the excuse that it's a New Year's Eve film ;  not really, it's about the Chinese New Year, which as we know doesn't coincide with the Western New Year.  Still, it was a fun reason to watch it.  I actually had it on a videotape, and that's how we watched it.  A few days later a package arrived from Amazon-- my husband had ordered it for me .  So now we have the DVD of it.  And well worth having it is, too.

Hey, I said it was an unworthy emotion  !  😆

Anyway, as I guess you've all figured, I like this film a lot.  I always love Peter Lorre, who plays a different type of person from his usual characters in this one.  And Sidney Greenstreet is his usual Sidney Greenstreet self, which I find very entertaining.  I think Three Strangers is a fascinating film, beautifully directed and acted, and with a very different kind of storyline.

But I'll refrain from saying anything further for fear of spoilers.  Maybe this weekend I'll say a little more about it, after everyone's seen it  ( blah, my special secret movie no more !)

I'm another big fan of Three Strangers. All of Jean Negulesco's B&W films are worth seeing. He fought to get Peter Lorre in a role different from usual, and he wanted Geraldine Fitzgerald. Negulesco also had cast Lorre against type in The Mask of Dimitrios. It will be fun to hear what people think who are seeing Three Strangers for the first time.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Have heard of the title, but have never seen it. Was this after she left Fox?

Summer Storm was made while Darnell was under contract for Fox,  so I assume it was a loan-out role to United Artist.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:50 AM, misswonderly3 said:

I actually quite enjoyed Bodyguard. I found the two leads  (Priscilla Lane and Yes !  even Lawrence Tierney ) to be likable and sympathetic.  Lane's role reminded me a little of Lucille Ball's in Dark Corner - the devoted girlfriend /assistant who proves to be smart and capable, effectively helping the framed protagonist prove his innocence. And as for Tierney, although I'm not that big a fan, and am definitely not a fan of his more famous noir,  Born to Kill, in  this outing I found him to be, as I said, kind of likable. At least he was interesting, which for me is a major assest in noir  (the lead characters don't have to be "good", just interesting...)

I like the film's brevity-- get in , tell the story, and get out, all in less than 90 minutes.  That said, I would like to see the slightly longer version cigarjoe mentioned above.  *

You can almost always say a crime film is "routine";  if by "routine" one means the usual narrative involves some kind of crime and an innocent protagonist bent on proving their innocence, yes, Bodyguard was "routine".  But for me it's not the story itself that matters so much as the telling of the tale.  It's the details like bit characters, atmospheric settings,  and pacing.  And I found Bodyguard surprisingly entertaining on all those levels.  

Probably helped that I'd never seen it before, nor even heard of it.  And viewing a fresh noir for me is always a treat.

ps:  I want to say again, contrarian that I am, that I liked this Lawrence Tierney film much more than the more well-known Born to Kill.  But I suspect that that opinion is the minority one here.

*Edit:  apologies to the poster SadPanda; it was they who mentioned the longer version of this film  (not cigarjoe ---who may indeed be aware of such a version, but was not the person who wrote about it here.)

Underline/bold above, mine : Laffite

But I think Priscilla may have been sharper than Lucille, although I'm short on memory on TDC. Priscilla's role was a bit bland as has been noted elsewhere but she is saved by her extemporaneous brilliance in the eye doctor's office. When they create the Award for Fast Thinking in a Noir, I would like to nominate Priscilla for top honors. Talking about putting the wool (in this case some kind of facial towel) over one's eyes. And exiting the office so cleanly.

The "bit characters" were great, notably Alex Stone's brother and the night watchman who gets locked behind translucent door. There may have been others, still these two remind me once again just how good character actors are. They are always first rate in basic acting skills, often better actors that the leads (we all know why).

I loved the early baseball scenes. Pedantry alert, though this might be known by many, the Los Angeles Angeles were at that time in the AAA Pacific Coast League, which also had my own San Diego Padres (AAA). HOLLY of course was the redoubtable Hollywood Stars, the arch rival of the San Diego Padres. The latter's great glory of the franchise history came in a one-game playoff in 1954, won by those Pads by 7-2. I listened to it on the radio. I have never been inside Los Angeles' Wrigley Field (not to be confused of course of the more famous Wrigley field in Chicago) but I recognize it all the same, chiefly by the center to right field fences, Many (perhaps all) episodes of that venerable old baseball show, Home Run Derby, were filmed there. Dargo might remember some of this. (Remember Carlos Bernier, Hollywood's enfant terrible? Baseball's Lawrence Tierney. He once slapped an empire and was ejected for the rest of the season. He wasn't as bad as Lawrence, though.

///

• Like 2
4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Summer Storm was made while Darnell was under contract for Fox,  so I assume it was a loan-out role to United Artist.

I see.

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Wow! And here if ANYBODY was gonna supply us with this information, my money would've been on Arturo!  ;)

(...good goin', James)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Wow! And here if ANYBODY was gonna supply us with this information, my money would've been on Arturo!  ;)

(...good goin', James)

That is true;   I'm watching Wagon Train on ME-TV and the guest star is his favorite gal!

(and she looks great,,  Darnell was in two episodes and this is the first one,,,,  the second  one is  set in San Fran).

Noir's Hard Luck Ladies: Linda Darnell - Criminal Element

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, laffite said:

Dargo might remember some of this

Sorry Dargo, I did not mean to make you sound like a geezer. I sometimes forget that I am most probably the resident geezer around here.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, laffite said:

Underline/bold above, mine : Laffite

But I think Priscilla may have been sharper than Lucille, although I'm short on memory on TDC. Priscilla's role was a bit bland as has been noted elsewhere but she is saved by her extemporaneous brilliance in the eye doctor's office. When they create the Award for Fast Thinking in a Noir, I would like to nominate Priscilla for top honors. Talking about putting the wool (in this case some kind of facial towel) over one's eyes. And exiting the office so cleanly.

The "bit characters" were great, notably Alex Stone's brother and the night watchman who gets locked behind translucent door. There may have been others, still these two remind me once again just how good character actors are. They are always first rate in basic acting skills, often better actors that the leads (we all know why).

I loved the early baseball scenes. Pedantry alert, though this might be known by many, the Los Angeles Angeles were at that time in the AAA Pacific Coast League, which also had my own San Diego Padres (AAA). HOLLY of course was the redoubtable Hollywood Stars, the arch rival of the San Diego Padres. The latter's great glory of the franchise history came in a one-game playoff in 1954, won by those Pads by 7-2. I listened to it on the radio. I have never been inside Los Angeles' Wrigley Field (not to be confused of course of the more famous Wrigley field in Chicago) but I recognize it all the same, chiefly by the center to right field fences, Many (perhaps all) episodes of that venerable old baseball show, Home Run Derby, were filmed there. Dargo might remember some of this. (Remember Carlos Bernier, Hollywood's enfant terrible? Baseball's Lawrence Tierney. He once slapped an empire and was ejected for the rest of the season. He wasn't as bad as Lawrence, though.

///

Wish I did remember pre-West Coast MLB laffite, however I really didn't get into baseball until I was about  8 years old in around 1960, and a couple of years after the Dodgers had moved to L.A. in '58, and only vaguely remember attending one of their games at the Coliseum before Dodger Stadium opened in '62.

I do remember that my very first baseball glove was a Larry Sherry signature model, and who I'm sure you know was the MVP of the '59 World Series for the winning Dodger team that year.

I also don't recall ever going to the old Wrigley Field located in So. Central L.A. to watch any  baseball games either, as the very first Angel game I ever recall attending was the first season they began playing down in Anaheim at their then newly opened Big-A Stadium in 1966.

5 minutes ago, laffite said:

Sorry Dargo, I did not mean to make you sound like a geezer. I sometimes forget that I am most probably the resident geezer around here.

No problem at all, ol' buddy. And besides, I AM a geezer!

(...but evidently, just not quite as much as yourself)  ;)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

.but evidently, just not quite as much as yourself);) 

I'm going to out myself. Why not! It's getting too late to be mysterious. Not that anyone is losing sleep.

I revealed my age four years ago on a birthday thread ministered by a prominent member here, who happened to notice that my profile revealed my birth date, but not year, which I revealed. (I believe my name showed up on some sort of database, I'm sure I wasn't looked up). So the current disclosure is not a premier.

I was born the same year as DD was made. Famous noir.

ps I can still run to catch a bus.:)

///

24 minutes ago, laffite said:

I'm going to out myself. Why not! It's getting too late to be mysterious. Not that anyone is losing sleep.

I revealed my age four years ago on a birthday thread ministered by a prominent member here, who happened to notice that my profile revealed my birth date, but not year, which I revealed. (I believe my name showed up on some sort of database, I'm sure I wasn't looked up). So the current disclosure is not a premier.

I was born the same year as DD was made. Famous noir.

ps I can still run to catch a bus.:)

///

So, born in 1944 and when Double Dindemnity was made, eh?!

Oh, wait. THAT can't be right! ;)

(...okay, I give up...what's "DD" stand for?)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

So, born in 1944 and when Double Dindemnity was made, eh?!

Oh, wait. THAT can't be right! ;)

(...okay, I give up...what's "DD" stand for?)

It doesn't stand for anything. An ignominious typo.

:D