Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

People, catch Side Street this Sunday morning, if you can. Or at least record it. Somebody involved with the film (Anthony Mann?)  must have seen They Live by Night  a couple of years earlier and decided that Farley Granger and Cathy O'Donnell make a very likeable couple, because here they are again in Side Street.  And whoever that was, who wanted to pair them up again,was right.

Granger has a certain vulnerability about him, no matter what role he's playing, and it serves him very well as the cash-challenged mail carrier in this unusual little noir. And Cathy O'Donnell is always sweet - and I mean that in a good way, not sickeningly "nice" or a goody-goody, just , sweet, like only Cathy O'Donnell can be.

SPOILER - sort of....

How come Granger's character feels ok leaving this huge sum of cash - just a bunch of cash, sealed up in an envelope - in a public place like a bar, with only the bartender to keep his eye on it?  I mean, it's just sort of stashed on a shelf behind the bar along with the bottles and glasses. 

And honestly, no matter how friendly Joe was with this bartender, would he really trust someone he hardly knows with a package containing $30,000 cash??   But of course, there wouldn't be no story without that foolhardy decision.

Watch for Jean Hagen, about two thirds of the way in, as a sad sack singer in a run-down nightclub. Damn, she's good ! I love Jean Hagen, and wish she had more screen time in this.

• Like 1

Watch for Jean Hagen, about two thirds of the way in, as a sad sack singer in a run-down nightclub. Damn, she's good ! I love Jean Hagen, and wish she had more screen time in this.

Yea Jean Hagen has a way of playing seedy very convincingly. I watcher her recently in The Asphalt Jungle.

• Like 2

I've watched the Granger/O'Donnell Noir/Mystery movies and just don't like them.  There is something about Granger and O'Donnell that just turns me off.  My wife, who likes Noir and mystery movies, also doesn't find the pair appealing.

Yea Jean Hagen has a way of playing seedy very convincingly. I watcher her recently in The Asphalt Jungle.

I was in the other room from the one in which the TV is when her scene came up. I thought at first I was hearing Judy Holiday. Then I walked back into the living room and realized it was Jean Hagen. She is definitely a scene stealer!

• Like 1

I've watched the Granger/O'Donnell Noir/Mystery movies and just don't like them.  There is something about Granger and O'Donnell that just turns me off.  My wife, who likes Noir and mystery movies, also doesn't find the pair appealing.

That's too bad. I guess I can kind of understand your opinion on Granger and O'Donnell together....my husband feels much the same way, he's not crazy about the two noirs they were in. He says they're too sweet, too "lovey-dovey", and all those affectionate scenes between them just waste time.

I don't see them that way, I really like each of them individually, and also think they really "work" as a couple. I wonder if they were friends in real life, and if Cathy had any idea about Farley's sexual orientation. (I picture a kind of Liz Taylor/Monty Clift type of friendship...)

Ya gotta love the location settings and cinematography in Anthony Mann's Side Street. I think the film is worth watching for that alone ( which is not to say I don't also enjoy the performances, characters, and somewhat convoluted story.)

Highlights include that aerial photography that introduces the film (I think Eddie M. said this was filmed from a blimp??? !), something unique to films made then, I don't think I've ever seen it in any other movie from that era. I love the way these opening shots show the skyscrapers of NYC, along with the little alleys (side streets!) and seedier parts of the city.

In fact, a big reason why I like Side Street is those seedy locations, real New York City places circa 1947. One reason I love noir is that very seedyness: dark alleyways, garbage cans lying on their side in these same alleyways (I know that sounds bizarre, enjoying overturned garbage cans !), random stray cats wandering around everywhere, crummy night clubs with cheapskate managers and broken-hearted floozie torch singers, crummier walk-ups (often where the broken-hearted floozies live), and dark towering buildings overshadowing rain-soaked streets.

I also love the "higher end" locales  (not much high-end stuff in Side Street though) - the ritzy glitzy night-clubs (where the singers are several cuts above the floozie variety), the lavishly furnished penthouse apartments, the enormous hotel rooms with 24 hour room service - you often see that side of life in noir, too, and I find it fun to temporarily, vicariously, inhabit such places.

But I have to admit, my favourite noir settings are of the kind you see in Side Street- old, dark, "gritty". I don't know why I like those locales so much - maybe it's the slight air of danger and mystery they hold. (This is not to say I'd like to traverse those seedy streets in real life -not that such places exist anymore...)

Speaking of crummy residences, how come Farley, with his pockets full of his ill-gotten cash (not all of the 30,000 is stuffed in that package he left with the bartender), chooses to stay in that exceptionally squalid hotel?  He could have afforded something a little better than that. Of course, as Eddie Muller points out in his intro, poor Joe wasn't thinking straight by that point. Just a young mixed up messed up kid.

• Like 3

Hey !  I just found out !  

Today is Eddie Muller's birthday - October 15th.

I was curious to know how old this guy was, and googled "How old is Eddie Muller?"  What a coincidence I did this on the very day he was born !

Eddie baby, if you're reading this thread...HAPPY BIRTHDAY !

May your streets always be rainy (this is a good thing,) and your martinis always be dry.

• Like 3

Hey !  I just found out !  

Today is Eddie Muller's birthday - October 15th.

I was curious to know how old this guy was, and googled "How old is Eddie Muller?"  What a coincidence I did this on the very day he was born !

Eddie baby, if you're reading this thread...HAPPY BIRTHDAY !

May your streets always be rainy (this is a good thing,) and your martinis always be dry.

At the end of the SIDE STREET outro today (the only part I saw) Eddie Muller said he was having a drink to pretend he wasn't another year older (or something like that) and I wondered if his birthday was the day he recorded the outro or the day it aired. I suspected the latter, but thanks for confirming, misswonderly.

• Like 1

I got caught up on a couple of Noir Alley offerings this weekend:  The Won't Believe Me has a shocking ending (probably Code-mandated) and the three female leads are good.  I like Robert Young playing a jerk.  He's more interesting.  Looks like he was trying to branch out like Dick Powell and John Payne.  Young did play a dark character in The Mortal Storm a few years earlier.

Scandal Sheet was enjoyable with a nice performance by Brodrick Crawford in a not-so-nice role. Henry O'Neill, who played the has-been alcoholic reporter was really good and the standout performance for me.  This is the third time I've seen John Derek and Crawford together in the same film (All the King's Men and The Posse).  The actors playing the barflies certainly looked the part - good casting.

• Like 2

I love Jean Hagen in THE ASPHALT JUNGLE.  In fact, that movie has one of the best casts ever - everyone handled their roles perfectly.  I also remember Jean playing Danny Thomas's wife in the old Make Room for Daddy TV show before Marjorie Reynolds took over.

• Like 1

At the end of the SIDE STREET outro today (the only part I saw) Eddie Muller said he was having a drink to pretend he wasn't another year older (or something like that) and I wondered if his birthday was the day he recorded the outro or the day it aired. I suspected the latter, but thanks for confirming, misswonderly.

Thanks for reminding me of that, Holden. Now that I think about it, I must have unconsciously remembered that Eddie said something about being a year older. I did watch his "outro", so must have heard him say that.

...in which case, it isn't quite the amazing coincidence I thought it was, that I started thinking about how old he was today. I do remember now that he made that remark about having a drink to celebrate being a year older - that must be what got me thinking about his age.

But I honestly wasn't thinking about that when I wrote that earlier post about the "coincidence" of me looking up his age on his very birthday. I truly forgot Eddie had said that, but obviously on some level it stuck in my mind.

So much for the "amazing coincidence". I feel a bit silly, actually.

Oh well, it's still cool that it's Eddie Muller's birthday. Hope he spent it somewhere fun, like a ritzy nightclub with a torch singer.

I love Jean Hagen in THE ASPHALT JUNGLE.  In fact, that movie has one of the best casts ever - everyone handled their roles perfectly.  I also remember Jean playing Danny Thomas's wife in the old Make Room for Daddy TV show before Marjorie Reynolds took over.

apparently, ROBERT OSBORNE and JEAN HAGEN were very, very close in her later years (and possibly for longer, I dunno)

i can't quite recall when she died...

whenever you see her name in something, it's worth sticking around to see her. she was a tremendous talent.

eta: according to imdb she died in the late seventies at age 54!

but they did list her as a friend of Osborne in the bio/trivia section for her.

apparently, ROBERT OSBORNE and JEAN HAGEN were very, very close in her later years (and possibly for longer, I dunno)

i can't quite recall when she died...

whenever you see her name in something, it's worth sticking around to see her. she was a tremendous talent.

eta: according to imdb she died in the late seventies at age 54!

but they did list her as a friend of Osborne in the bio/trivia section for her.

Yes, she died young. She should've won the Oscar over Gloria Grahame in Bad and the Beautiful. One of the great puzzling wins in Oscar history (not that I dont like Gloria) just a nothing part........

Yes, she died young. She should've won the Oscar over Gloria Grahame in Bad and the Beautiful. One of the great puzzling wins in Oscar history (not that I dont like Gloria) just a nothing part........

I KNOW, RIGHT?

SPOILERS IN RE: THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL

THE reason that I do not like this film is due in large part to my first viewing of it, knowing next to nothing about it other than GG won her Oscar for it (and by this time I had seen her in enough other things (including THE BIG HEAT) to like her a lot.) and the movie unfolds she has the most uninteresting role of her career, maybe three scenes of expository dialogue, and then her character dies in a plane crash and the whole time i watched it, i kept thinking "okay, but she lived right? I mean, she comes back at the end all scarred and PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and shoots Kirk Douglas in the face or something, right? I mean, she won the Oscar for this, there's no way she was in this thing for 15 minutes of nothing then died and WON an OSCAR for THAT?!

But she did...and it does a disservice to Gloria and her costar Lana Turner who- even though I don't like her in 97% of everything else she's in- totally should have won Best Supporting Actress for THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, she's that good in the film, but Lana would've sooner eaten dirt than won supporting..

Yes, Gloria's screen time is rather limited in BAD & BEAUTIFUL.  Even though she was a young woman, do you think it might have been considered sort of a career award because she had so many good supporting appearances in films up to that point?  I think that was around the same time she did SUDDEN FEAR and before that IN A LONELY PLACE and CROSSFIRE a few years before that.

Sometimes in these supporting Oscar nominations, they are almost cameos appearances rather than true support.  Sometimes they're co-lead performances.

In the "should have won" department - yes, Jean Hagen probably should have won.  It was a true supporting performance and she was great in that role.  Gloria may have had more friends in the industry.

Gloria may have thought there was a mistake....for her acceptance she grabs the thing, says thanks into the mic and runs off....

What Gloria did reminds me of what football coaches are doing;  call that next play before the opposing coach can ask for a re-play! 

Gloria may have thought there was a mistake....for her acceptance she grabs the thing, says thanks into the mic and runs off....

LOL! She wasnt going to let anyone take it back.............

I KNOW, RIGHT?

SPOILERS IN RE: THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL

THE reason that I do not like this film is due in large part to my first viewing of it, knowing next to nothing about it other than GG won her Oscar for it (and by this time I had seen her in enough other things (including THE BIG HEAT) to like her a lot.) and the movie unfolds she has the most uninteresting role of her career, maybe three scenes of expository dialogue, and then her character dies in a plane crash and the whole time i watched it, i kept thinking "okay, but she lived right? I mean, she comes back at the end all scarred and PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and shoots Kirk Douglas in the face or something, right? I mean, she won the Oscar for this, there's no way she was in this thing for 15 minutes of nothing then died and WON an OSCAR for THAT?!

But she did...and it does a disservice to Gloria and her costar Lana Turner who- even though I don't like her in 97% of everything else she's in- totally should have won Best Supporting Actress for THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, she's that good in the film, but Lana would've sooner eaten dirt than won supporting..

I know. That's how I felt when I watched it. THAT'S IT??????  Maybe some of her part wound up on the cutting room floor, but they werent voting on THAT.....