Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

43 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I'm actually more than halfway through this thread but didn't see it (yet?)  Still racking my brain to remember!   Might you give me a jog by perhaps including some things I said about the movie?  I'm a Billy Wilder fan and know I've talked about his work but for the life of me, as best as I recall, not ONE, TWO, THREE -- in any forum.

You riffed on the Cold War and Communism. I don't remember anything specific. Your very first comment was enthusiastic, something like Wow, I just saw this and what howl (not a quote). I believed you were taken by the satire of the thing. If the movie is not considered a satire, then you made it one (and that's another accolade for you).

On 7/19/2020 at 10:41 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Ok,  I feel it incumbent upon me to comment about Mary Astor's appearance in "The Maltese Falcon".  (Why, I don't know....🤥 )

I've always thought Mary's hairdo in TMF was wretched.  Makes her look matronly and unsexy.  I like Mary Astor,  I think she was a good actress, and I also think she had a lovely face.  But definitely that   hairstyle they make her wear all through this film diminishes her attractiveness.  It's a terrible 'do, and I don't know what the make-up/hair people were thinking to make her look like that.

I liked her short do she wore in many 40s films.

Over-The-Air channel Movies! is having Noir Thursday again: https://www.moviestvnetwork.com/schedule

20,000 Years in Sing Sing, Womens Prison, Destination Murder, Night Editor, The Killer That Stalked New York, Strange Fascination, One Girls Confession, Nobody Lives Forever, Deadline at Dawn, They Live by Night, The Hunted, Too Late for Tears, International Lady, The Corn is Green

ztbHM-1585069407-2710-movie-NightEditor_

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Davehat said:

Over-The-Air channel Movies! is having Noir Thursday again: https://www.moviestvnetwork.com/schedule

20,000 Years in Sing Sing, Womens Prison, Destination Murder, Night Editor, The Killer That Stalked New York, Strange Fascination, One Girls Confession, Nobody Lives Forever, Deadline at Dawn, They Live by Night, The Hunted, Too Late for Tears, International Lady, The Corn is Green

MOVIES-TV has Noir Thursday and Noir Sunday night.      They show a lot of noirs that TCM doesn't show from studios like Columbia and 20th Century Fox.

I saw Night Editor for the first time on MOVIES-TV a few weeks back.   Janis Carter is great in the film.   A real solid noir dame.    The book Film Noir (Silver \ Ward),  says that Carter could have been the queen of noir if she was in more "A" pictures.       The issue I have with the film is Gargan.    I find his screen persona boring.   But still a "B" worth seeing.  

• Like 1
19 hours ago, laffite said:

You riffed on the Cold War and Communism. I don't remember anything specific. Your very first comment was enthusiastic, something like Wow, I just saw this and what howl (not a quote). I believed you were taken by the satire of the thing. If the movie is not considered a satire, then you made it one (and that's another accolade for you).

Cold War and Communism.....still is not ringing a bell but okay, I won't belabor this anymore.  I'll take your word and see if I stumble upon it!

I could see, though, how just thinking about Pamela Tiffin might temporarily cause some confusion in any red-blooded guy, lol.

And speaking for the distaff side, I must tell you that Horst Buchholz has always given me the creeps.

(...btw, I'd first take note of the gorgeous Janis Carter about a dozen years ago and while watching her on TCM in another B-picture, 1945's The Power of the Whistler and costarring Richard Dix...good actress I thought, and not just another pretty face)

I first noticed Janis Carter when watching Framed, with Glenn Ford. It was a painful experience, as I immediately turned into a Tex Avery cartoon character, with my eye balls crashing into the television set. The lady was a real beauty. I just wish she had had better roles in better films. Them's the breaks, as they say.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Davehat said:

Wait - -  What ??  "The Corn is Green"  ?   I think you just stuck that in there at the end to see if we were paying attention !   (ok, John Dall was in "Gun Crazy", but still, that's beyond a stretch !)

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Wait - -  What ??  "The Corn is Green"  ?   I think you just stuck that in there at the end to see if we were paying attention !   (ok, John Dall was in "Gun Crazy", but still, that's beyond a stretch !)

The confusion here relates to US time zones and the fact both TCM and MOVIES-TV programming is US East Coast based.       E.g.  Prime time is defined based on EST.

Thus  what films are part of a start and end of a 'day'  will be different depending on the Time Zone.     The Corn is Green is NOT part of 'noir Thursday' (MOVIES-TV ads make this clear) but on the west coast one could say it is part of Thursday's programming.

30 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

image.jpeg.bd9dc4b77e50dd164ca9fa8f0fe4497d.jpeg

Ok, let's see...  We've got some dim lighting, a bit of rainy weather in a few scenes, and an alienated young man...

It's a Welsh noir !

LOL

Yes, and a, ahem, rare bit of cinema if there ever was, too!

(...nope, you sure don't see a lot of Welsh Noir, do ya)

• Haha 1
On 7/21/2020 at 10:36 PM, Davehat said:

Eddie Meuller surprised me to noght when he said “The Shop Around the Corner” has many elements of noir & it’s one of his all-time favorites!   Maybe he likes the Corn is Green too.  (shrug)

Considering this is pre-silicone implants (pre-1960), the poster artist REALLY exaggerated.  The lady in white has impossibly-large brea

2 hours ago, Davehat said:

Considering this is pre-silicone implants (pre-1960), the poster artist REALLY exaggerated.  The lady in white has impossibly-large brea

giphy.gif

"I hope we're both thinking about the same thing here, because if what your sentence failed to complete is that the lady has impossibly large breath, that's really weird and not what I'm interested in."

Last night Ben and Eddie Muller introduced, Little Shop Around the Corner and I thought, what's Eddie doing here?  Evidently it's one of his favorites which made me like him even more.  A man who loves my favorite Christmas movie and Too Late for Tears is my kind of guy.

• Like 2

Janis Carter astride a little mini Mustang motorcycle, circa I'd guess 1945 or so...

tumblr_nfhrieZLU21ri6u4mo1_400.jpg

(...and if I were a G.I. during that time, THIS would've been MY pin-up of choice...forget Betty Grable)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TheCid said:

I have this on DVD and it is not bad, but FYI it is not a newspaper story.  Have no idea why the poster is so big.

Well, the size of the POSTER wasn't exactly what we were wonderin' about here, Cid!  ;)

(...btw, the more pix I see of gorgeous Janis Cater, the more she seems to remind me of Sigourney Weaver)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 7/23/2020 at 8:53 AM, AndreaDoria said:

Last night Ben and Eddie Muller introduced, Little Shop Around the Corner and I thought, what's Eddie doing here?  Evidently it's one of his favorites which made me like him even more.  A man who loves my favorite Christmas movie and Too Late for Tears is my kind of guy.

Eddie tried to justify his appearance by telling us that THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER actually has some suspense, lol. 

This weeks Noir Alley features The Breaking Point;   This fine adaptation of the Hemingway short story To Have and Have Not (and more faithful to that story than the Bogie \ Bacall \ Hawks version),    is a first rate film.     

John Garfield gives one of his best, if not best,  performances  as Harry Morgan.    Patricia Neal plays the a women, Leona,  looking for fun.    It is a unique performance and one that is hard to put a finger on:  strange and sexy.      Phyllis Thaxter plays Harry's wife and helps ground the film.    Her emotional scenes with Garfield are very moving without being overly sentimental.        One great scene is in a bar where Harry and  Leona are having a drink and the wife shows up.   The banter between Wife and suspected mistress is one for the ages, with Garfield,   claiming he doesn't understand what the women are up to,  while they discuss what is going on,  that he isn't even in the room.    

Also in fine form is Juano Hernandez as Harry's sidekick as well as all of the gangster characters and slime ball middleman,  played be Wallace Ford.  

The director is Michael Curtiz.     A first rate film by the Warner Bros. studio system's "A" unit:  E.g. Max Steiner,   Ted McCord (cinmatographer), etc... 

Looking forward to Eddie's take.

PS:  As much as I love the Bogie\Bacall version for their banter and romance,  as well as Bogie as-hero wise cracking performance,    overall The Breaking Point is the better film and one grity noir.

This weeks Noir Alley features The Breaking Point;   This fine adaptation of the Hemingway short story To Have and Have Not (and more faithful to that story than the Bogie \ Bacall \ Hawks version),    is a first rate film.     

John Garfield gives one of his best, if not best,  performances  as Harry Morgan.    Patricia Neal plays the a women, Leona,  looking for fun.    It is a unique performance and one that is hard to put a finger on:  strange and sexy.      Phyllis Thaxter plays Harry's wife and helps ground the film.    Her emotional scenes with Garfield are very moving without being overly sentimental.        One great scene is in a bar where Harry and  Leona are having a drink and the wife shows up.   The banter between Wife and suspected mistress is one for the ages, with Garfield,   claiming he doesn't understand what the women are up to,  while they discuss what is going on,  that he isn't even in the room.    

The director is Michael Curtiz.     A first rate film by the Warner Bros. studio system's "A" unit:  E.g. Max Steiner,   Ted McCord (cinmatographer), 

The Breaking Point 1950 movie poster.jpg

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Also in fine form is Juano Hernandez as Harry's sidekick as well as all of the gangster characters and slime ball middleman,  played be Wallace Ford.  

The director is Michael Curtiz.     A first rate film by the Warner Bros. studio system's "A" unit:  E.g. Max Steiner,   Ted McCord (cinmatographer), etc... 

Looking forward to Eddie's take.

PS:  As much as I love the Bogie\Bacall version for their banter and romance,  as well as Bogie as-hero wise cracking performance,    overall The Breaking Point is the better film and one grity noir.

The director is Michael Curtiz.     A first rate film by the Warner Bros. studio system's "A" unit:  E.g. Max Steiner,   Ted McCord (cinmatographer), 

The Breaking Point 1950 movie poster.jpg

I love THE BREAKING POINT and I totally agree Garfield turns in one of his best performances. It's a shame he wasn't nominated for Best Actor that year. Patricia Neal also shines as does Wallace Ford as the sleazeball trying to arm-twist Garfield into going along with the mission.

I try not to compare POINT with TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, both great films in their own right regardless of which film was more faithful to Hemingway's story.

POINT does end on a bit of a sad note, I feel so sorry for the little boy.

Classic film all the way.

• Like 3