Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 7/26/2020 at 5:58 PM, omm said:

Something looked scratched out underneath the ending Warner Bros. logo, wonder what that's about.

Now that the serious discussion has died down a bit, I would like to go back and look into this question…

The closing credits of The Breaking Point look like this (on DVD as well as on TCM):

CCyQ5Jb.jpg

You can see that it looks like something was covered over on the last line.

Wikipedia has a list of Warner Brothers film releases by date, so I took a look at films released around the same time as The Breaking Point.

Just prior to the release of The Breaking Point in 1950, there was Tea for Two:

hDHknQp.jpg

It is somewhat hard to read, but it says "WARNER BROS. PICTURES, INC." at the end.

So I’m guessing The Breaking Point might have originally said "WARNER BROS. PICTURES, INC.", and now has had the ", INC." at the end obscured.

(Placing “, INC.” at the end where it is blacked out would also fit a centered alignment for the text.)

Films released after The Breaking Point in 1950 include The West Point Story:

cY26xXO.jpg

and they are using “WARNER BROS. PICTURES" in the credits.

And later in 1951 we have Operation Pacific:

NK2sU4I.jpg

which again uses “WARNER BROS. PICTURES”.

So that seems to match up.  Perhaps someone with historical knowledge of Warner Brothers could explain why they might start using the “INC.” and then quickly abandon it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

OR, as that old saying went:

"Somewhere there's a horse missing a blanket."

;)

I always got a kick out of that expression, though it's one you don't hear too much anymore.

For the sake of accuracy, it was likely too thin to be a horse blanket and was more fit for a

medium-sized dog. Either way, it was hard for the eyes to ignore or escape. 

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

She was in another good noir too.  Act of Violence. She played Ryan's girlfriend. She starred in some memorable episodes on the Alfred Hitchcock show in the  50s and  60s and played the mother in The World of Henry Orient. Her movie career never really took off though. Possibly due to the studios setting free their actors in the late 40s/early 50s and them having to freelance. They no longer built up their up and coming actors and many of them went to television. (Anne Francis was another).

Phyllis Thaxter is also good in The Sea of Grass as Katharine Hepburn's daughter.

• Like 2

Well, it looks like we have a long wait until our next Noir Alley offering.

Scheduled for the first week in September is Night Editor  (1946). 

Poster I understand that this one gives us an outstanding femme fatale - played by Janis Carter. 
13 hours ago, SadPanda said:

Well, it looks like we have a long wait until our next Noir Alley offering.

Scheduled for the first week in September is Night Editor  (1946). 

Poster I understand that this one gives us an outstanding femme fatale - played by Janis Carter. 

This movie and Janis Carter were thoroughly discussed on this site a week or so ago, for those that missed it.

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

This movie and Janis Carter were thoroughly discussed on this site a week or so ago, for those that missed it.

It will be interesting what Eddie Muller has to say about this film,  and the overall career of could-have-been-queen-of-the-B noirs,  Janis Carter.

8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It will be interesting what Eddie Muller has to say about this film,  and the overall career of queen-of-the-B noirs,  Janis Carter.

I have it on DVD and need to watch it again.  I was not that impressed with it before.

10 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It will be interesting what Eddie Muller has to say about this film,  and the overall career of queen-of-the-B noirs,  Janis Carter.

Very much so. I have to admit, it's Eddie's wraparounds that intrigue me - sometimes more than the movies themselves.

37 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I dunno about that, James.

Sure, while Janis was pretty good in a few of 'em, B-movies that is, I think this lady HERE is still pretty much crowned with THAT title, wouldn't ya say?!...

marie-windsor_89913.jpg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

My aunt Shirley used to dress like that.

Yeah, word was out about Shirley Panda, alright.

(...you're talkin' about Shirley Panda of Fort Lee, New Jersey, right?!) 

8 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

No, her last name wasn't Panda - she was married, you see.

Well, it all over town about her BEFORE she got married.

And so we mostly knew her by her maiden name of Panda and not her married one...which was what again?

(...oh yeah, wasn't it Lipschitz or somethin'???)

32 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

No, her last name wasn't Panda - she was married, you see. Her name was Robinson. The neighbors called her Mrs. Robinson. I called her Aunt Shirl.

OH, I see you've now added her married name here, eh SP?!

Well, in THAT case, I suppose we're surely not talkin' about the same Shirley here.

(...btw, this reminds me...whatever happened to Joe DiMaggio, anyway?...last I saw of him, he was hawkin' coffee makers on TV)

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

OH, I see you've now added her married name her, eh SP?!

Yes. You should always wait a full 60 seconds before clicking the quote on one of my posts. I often have a second thought to add 30 seconds after I've posted.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

"Queen of the B noirs"  ?  Really  ?  Nothing against Janis Carter, but I've seen a lot of noirs,  A, B and even C grade ones.  And I've only seen Janis in a couple of them.     As Dargo noted, there's at  least one candidate for that title who might be more deserving...Marie Windsor.  I can think of a few others, too.

Also, just my impression ....it seems to me that it wasn't so much "Night Editor" the film that was discussed so thoroughly  (regarding The Cid's post above ) , as the poster for the film, specifically the prodigious size of the lady's mammary glands.  Which was kind of pointless (no pun intended) because we all know that the physical,  uh, qualities of the ladies in film noir posters were always greatly exaggerated.  

ps:  After all that, I just want to say, I've never seen "Night Editor", I'm guessing it's kind of rare.  I really hope it's allowed to be aired in Canada.  Sometimes I get all geared up for a noir I've never seen being shown on TCM, only to check the Canadian schedule and see that it's not allowed to be broadcast in Canada.  Aaargh !

57 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Sure, while Janis was pretty good in a few of 'em, B-movies that is, I think this lady HERE is still pretty much crowned with THAT title, wouldn't ya say?!...

marie-windsor_89913.jpg

never mind

1 minute ago, laffite said:

never mind

What happened, laffite?

(...get a good look at Marie's legs here and then lost your train-of-thought here or somethin'???)  ;)

Just now, Dargo said:

What happened, laffite?

(...get a good look at Marie's legs here and then lost your train-of-thought here or somethin'???)  ;)

No, I mistakenly thought that this was meant to be a pic of Janis. And I said, "Gosh, doesn't she look a lot like Marie Windsor." :lol:

2 minutes ago, laffite said:

No, I mistakenly thought that this was meant to be a pic of Janis. And I said, "Gosh, doesn't she look a lot like Marie Windsor." :lol:

Well then, I suppose THAT'LL teach ya to read my words BEFORE lookin' at pictures of hot sexy women, won't it!!!

(...let this be a lesson to ya here)  ;)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

marie-windsor_89913.jpg

Correct.   I revised my posted and added could-have-been,  based on what is said about Carter in the book Film Noir (Ward  \ Silver).

8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Correct.   I revised my posted and added could-have-been,  based on what is said about Carter in the book Film Noir (Ward  \ Silver).

Yeah, I did figure you meant to say "could-have-been Queen" instead. 

Btw, the following is a clip of Janis in 1955, and where after she had given up her Hollywood film career and moved to NYC, she co-hosted a game show called "Feather Your Nest" with Bud Collyer...

• Thanks 1

I'm also a fan of Marie Windsor. I think NARROW MARGIN might be my favorite of her films.

I'm struggling with the fact that we have to wait a month until Noir Alley returns. Hopefully. MOVIES will show some good noirs between now and then. I actually saw NIGHT EDITOR on that channel several months ago.I feel sure I'll be ready to see it again in September.  Maybe MOVIES will air us some Marie Windsor classics in August.  I think she and Audrey Totter are quickly becoming two of my favorite Noir ladies.  Of course, they'll never move ahead of Rita Hayworth.

• Like 2