Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

In case anyone missed what September's Noir Alley line-up is:

Night Editor  (but only on Sunday at 10:00 EDT) -  William Gargan and Janis Carter 

Danger Signal -  Faye Emerson and Zachary Scott

Gilda - uh,  if you don't know this film,  you haven't lived! 

They Won't Believe Me - Robert Young,  Susan Hayward,    and Jane Greer     (I found this one to be confusing the first time I saw it,  with the flashbacks and overall story,,,, i.e. repeat viewing of this film is recommended.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME has to be ranked as one of the highlight films of Robert Young's career. But I wonder if, for once, TCM will show the full 91 minute version rather than the truncated 79 minute copy of the film they've been showing for years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TomJH said:

THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME has to be ranked as one of the highlight films of Robert Young's career. But I wonder if, for once, TCM will show the full 91 minute version rather than the truncated 79 minute copy of the film they've been showing for years.

Yea that would be nice

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hibi said:

 I can't wait for Eddie to be back! Seems like 6 months, not one. I havent seen the first 2 films and They Wont Believe Me is worth another look. I've seen Gilda too many times, I'll take a pass on that one, but might tune in for Eddie's comments.

EDIT- OOPS, I MEANT THIS AS A REPLY TO YOUR QUESTION ABOUT WHY THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME WAS CUT:

this is all i can find; COPIED FROM imdb . i think it was just to give SUSAN HAYWARD and JANE GREER more screentime, and not because of anything LASCIVIOUS:

When RKO re-released this in 1957, they cut it down from 95 minutes to 80 minutes, for more convenient double-billing, a typical practice at that time, especially for RKO. Turner Classic Movies repeatedly shows the 80 minute version, despite the fact that the 95 minute version has been restored and is marketed on DVD.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

someone correct me if i am remembering wrong (which i often do), but isn't there a moment in THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME where SUSAN HAYWARD'S character, an actress named VERNA CARLSON, mentions  that VERNA CARLSON is just her stage name and that her real name is SUSAN HAYWARD? 

It's stuck in my mind from the last time i saw it, it is possible i am remembering it wrong.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

this is all i can find; COPIED FROM imdb . i think it was just to give SUSAN HAYWARD and JANE GREER more screentime, and not because of anything LASCIVIOUS:

When RKO re-released this in 1957, they cut it down from 95 minutes to 80 minutes, for more convenient double-billing, a typical practice at that time, especially for RKO. Turner Classic Movies repeatedly shows the 80 minute version, despite the fact that the 95 minute version has been restored and is marketed on DVD.

Infuriating! TCM should KNOW better! Hoping since Eddie chose this to showcase it'll be the long one. Thanks for the info.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hibi said:

Infuriating! TCM should KNOW better! Hoping since Eddie chose this to showcase it'll be the long one. Thanks for the info.

NO PROB.

along with GOOFS and TRIVIA,  ALTERNATE VERSIONS IS A FUN CATEGORY TO SOMETIMES CHECKOUT FOR A FILM'S LISTING ON IMDB. (oops, caps lock) they list the various cuts and edits and different versions out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

someone correct me if i am remembering wrong (which i often do), but isn't there a moment in THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME where SUSAN HAYWARD'S character, an actress named VERNA CARLSON, mentions  that VERNA CARLSON is just her stage name and that her real name is SUSAN HAYWARD? 

It's stuck in my mind from the last time i saw it, it is possible i am remembering it wrong.

 

LOL! I don't remember that. I'll watch for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Infuriating! TCM should KNOW better! Hoping since Eddie chose this to showcase it'll be the long one. Thanks for the info.

The fact the longer version is available for DVD sale might be the reason TCM didn't lease the longer version:  i.e. the cost for the longer version is much more than the shorter one.

At a minimum Eddie should mention the two versions,   but it is out of Eddie's control what films TCM leases (so we shouldn't be hard on Eddie if TCM decide to go the cheaper route)

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They Won't Believe Me.  I saw this on TCM(?) a few years ago and it is fairly good.  As for length, sometimes a good editing improves a movie.  Similar to using fast forward on some movies.

When is this going to be on anyway?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

 

this is all i can find; COPIED FROM imdb . i think it was just to give SUSAN HAYWARD and JANE GREER more screentime, and not because of anything LASCIVIOUS:

 

 "Lascivious" .  Good word.  😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

EDIT- OOPS, I MEANT THIS AS A REPLY TO YOUR QUESTION ABOUT WHY THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME WAS CUT:

this is all i can find; COPIED FROM imdb . i think it was just to give SUSAN HAYWARD and JANE GREER more screentime, and not because of anything LASCIVIOUS:

When RKO re-released this in 1957, they cut it down from 95 minutes to 80 minutes, for more convenient double-billing, a typical practice at that time, especially for RKO. Turner Classic Movies repeatedly shows the 80 minute version, despite the fact that the 95 minute version has been restored and is marketed on DVD.

That's interesting,  because I distinctly recall a time when TCM proudly boasted about how they never cut the films they show.  Remember those little shorts, or interstitials, or whatever they're called,  that TCM used to show,  that would playfully demonstrate that they never "cut" the movies they showed?  There was one of a butcher in a deli cutting a round of meat,  and one of a kid cutting paper, like paper dollies -- there was a third one which I can't remember at the moment.  The butcher and the kid would reveal the letters of TCM  (cut into the meat,  and instead of dollies,  the TCM letters made out of paper)  and the voice-over would say  "  They cut. TCM doesn't."  Something like that.  (It was better than that, I can't remember the exact wording...)

I don't know if I've described these little shorts properly.  They were very clever and entertaining.  It was years ago they were shown, I haven't seen them in ages.  I wish they still did so, but maybe they don't because maybe TCM  does "cut"  now.  Or maybe they always showed cut versions of films, and so realized they weren't being entirely honest with those interstitials.

Anyone else remember what I'm talking about here?     

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

That's interesting,  because I distinctly recall a time when TCM proudly boasted about how they never cut the films they show.  Remember those little shorts, or interstitials, or whatever they're called,  that TCM used to show,  that would playfully demonstrate that they never "cut" the movies they showed?  There was one of a butcher in a deli cutting a round of meat,  and one of a kid cutting paper, like paper dollies -- there was a third one which I can't remember at the moment.  The butcher and the kid would reveal the letters of TCM  (cut into the meat,  and instead of dollies,  the TCM letters made out of paper)  and the voice-over would say  "  They cut. TCM doesn't."  Something like that.  (It was better than that, I can't remember the exact wording...)

I don't know if I've described these little shorts properly.  They were very clever and entertaining.  It was years ago they were shown, I haven't seen them in ages.  I wish they still did so, but maybe they don't because maybe TCM  does "cut"  now.  Or maybe they always showed cut versions of films, and so realized they weren't being entirely honest with those interstitials.

Anyone else remember what I'm talking about here?     

No, but I remember UNCUT and commercial free! LOL. Plenty of commercials now, just not the business kind.

Link to post
Share on other sites

true, good to see it mentioned too.  I liked the other fillers they used, creative ones as mentioned above, now they seem to need to promote each other for some reason. more time than the commercials PBS now has instituted. UnCut and Commercial Free. glad to be reminded of this. I still think this is the best there is  however. and Eddie is the best of the bunch a real pro and always interesting. as if he had been made for this 'job'

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

That's interesting,  because I distinctly recall a time when TCM proudly boasted about how they never cut the films they show.  Remember those little shorts, or interstitials, or whatever they're called,  that TCM used to show,  that would playfully demonstrate that they never "cut" the movies they showed?  There was one of a butcher in a deli cutting a round of meat,  and one of a kid cutting paper, like paper dollies -- there was a third one which I can't remember at the moment.  The butcher and the kid would reveal the letters of TCM  (cut into the meat,  and instead of dollies,  the TCM letters made out of paper)  and the voice-over would say  "  They cut. TCM doesn't."  Something like that.  (It was better than that, I can't remember the exact wording...)

I don't know if I've described these little shorts properly.  They were very clever and entertaining.  It was years ago they were shown, I haven't seen them in ages.  I wish they still did so, but maybe they don't because maybe TCM  does "cut"  now.  Or maybe they always showed cut versions of films, and so realized they weren't being entirely honest with those interstitials.

Anyone else remember what I'm talking about here?     

TCM didn't 'cut this film' or any film  (as in someone at TCM actually edits the film).   Instead they sometimes show edited version.   I.e.  there are multiple versions and TCM leased the shorter one.     I asked TCM about this around 6 months ago and  was told,  again, that TCM doesn't 'cut films'. 

AND  TCM has always shown 'cut versions' of film;  E.g.  a studio releases a cut version and that is the version TCM leases.   This is fairly common with pre-code films that were re-released after July 1934 (Garbo's Mari Hari is a prime example) and thus had to be cut to conform to the Production Code.   The easiest version to lease is the post-1934 re-release version.   The full,  pre-code version is hard to obtain.  

Note there are other reasons;  Like British verses American versions  (these can have slightly different scenes,  different endings,  and different titles).

As explained They Won't Believe Me was re-released in 1957.   Thus RKO cut the film and not any content provider \ network like TCM.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

TCM didn't 'cut this film' or any film  (as in someone at TCM actually edits the film).   Instead they sometimes show edited version.   I.e.  there are multiple versions and TCM leased the shorter one.     I asked TCM about this around 6 months ago and  was told,  again, that TCM doesn't 'cut films'. 

AND  TCM has always shown 'cut versions' of film;  E.g.  a studio releases a cut version and that is the version TCM leases.   This is fairly common with pre-code films that were re-released after July 1934 (Garbo's Mari Hari is a prime example) and thus had to be cut to conform to the Production Code.   The easiest version to lease is the post-1934 re-release version.   The full,  pre-code version is hard to obtain.  

Note there are other reasons;  Like British verses American versions  (these can have slightly different scenes,  different endings,  and different titles).

As explained They Won't Believe Me was re-released in 1957.   Thus RKO cut the film and not any content provider \ network like TCM.   

 

this is good to know. I had a feeling this is how they do it. but, now, the commercials....self promotion is fine but so much of it is over the top now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

someone correct me if i am remembering wrong (which i often do), but isn't there a moment in THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME where SUSAN HAYWARD'S character, an actress named VERNA CARLSON, mentions  that VERNA CARLSON is just her stage name and that her real name is SUSAN HAYWARD? 

It's stuck in my mind from the last time i saw it, it is possible i am remembering it wrong.

 

So, kind'a like how Cary Grant drops the name "Archie Leach" in His Girl Friday, eh Lorna?

(...I'll look for it too when they show the Robert Young movie)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2020 at 6:11 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

In case anyone missed what September's Noir Alley line-up is:

 

Gilda - uh,  if you don't know this film,  you haven't lived! 

 

Wow, james...you must really love Gilda.   Seems a little hyperbolic, but a chacun son gout.

  Fortunately for me, I have indeed seen it.   In fact, I've seen it, I think, three times.  Does that mean I've lived three lives'  worth?

Actually,  sounds like a fun idea for a thread:  "If You Don't Know This Film, You Haven't Lived !"  think of all the films people might submit.  And all the arguments we could have about them.  😎

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...