Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 minutes ago, laffite said:

Maybe we don't need to know what happened They were caught, that's the main thing.

Assuming Carter goes to prison it would be interesting to know with how many of her inmates she has affairs and whether, if someone gets killed inside the pen, she screams that she wants to see the body.

18 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Assuming Carter goes to prison it would be interesting to know with how many of her inmates she has affairs and whether, if someone gets killed inside the pen, she screams that she wants to see the body.

Not bad

:lol:

6 hours ago, laffite said:

...and funnier if he still had the ice pick in his back when Johnny recognizes him. As he walks back to the building.  :lol:

Yeah. Man, I've had a backache for years. Just won't seem to clear up.

I also got a kick out of Carter giving her cuckolded hubby a very deep kiss while Gargan looks on, boiling mad.

What a crazy dame. 

18 hours ago, ElCid said:

Night Editor.   Did not watch it this morning as I watched it a couple of weeks ago, but did catch Eddie's intro.  He mentioned some scene that snuck by the censors.  He built it up, but then he tends to do that.  Was going to catch his outro to learn about the scene, but missed it.

Anyone remember the scene?  I have the movie on DVD.  What did he say about it?  Thanks.

Same here, lol., and I didn't realize it. After a while quite a few Noir titles with second and third tier actors blur together. I watched it again however but was bummed out as soon as I  realized it. Oh well.  On to next weeks Danger Signal and if it starts out on a pier I've seen it also, lol.

SPOILER ALERT

I'm surprised no one commented on my comment about the connection between Night Editor and Basic Instinct. Janis stabs Gargan with the ice pick as they are holding each other and kissing.  In Basic Instinct, Sharon and Michael in bed together and we see the ice pick so we know what's coming. Both involve intimacy and that ice pick. Both Janis and Sharon are nuts and voyeurs. I think Night Editor may have had some influence on Basic Instinct.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

SPOILER ALERT

I'm surprised no one commented on my comment about the connection between Night Editor and Basic Instinct. Janis stabs Gargan with the ice pick as they are holding each other and kissing.  In Basic Instinct, Sharon and Michael in bed together and we see the ice pick so we know what's coming. Both involve intimacy and that ice pick. Both Janis and Sharon are nuts and voyeurs. I think Night Editor may have had some influence on Basic Instinct.

I think you're right. The makers of BASIC INSTINCT were probably influenced by this film and other Noirs. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

SPOILER ALERT

I've seen maybe once or twice  Basic Instinct and didn't remember that, oh well, maybe I'll have to ath it again, lol.

7 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Yeah. Man, I've had a backache for years. Just won't seem to clear up.

I also got a kick out of Carter giving her cuckolded hubby a very deep kiss while Gargan looks on, boiling mad.

What a crazy dame. 

Yeah, and again there's that voyeurism. Sharon does the same thing in Basic Instinct to Michael only this time with Dorothy Malone. 

26 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I've seen maybe once or twice  Basic Instinct and didn't remember that, oh well, maybe I'll have to ath it again, lol.

i've also only seen Basic Instinct once. It's a disturbing film.. and Night Editor reminded me of it. A lot of similiarities.

On 9/6/2020 at 1:32 PM, TomJH said:

SPOILER ALERT (there are a lot of giveaways here for those who haven't seen the film): It's a scene in which the film's beautiful but cold blooded femme fatale screams in an almost sexual frenzy manner that she wants to see the body of a woman just beaten to death. She will later stab a man in the back but waits until they are kissing before she does so.. She also makes a man her latest boy toy after finding out he is a murderer. Janis Carter is quite the memorable sado masochistic wacko in this film.

Tom, how come you wrote that explanation (with which I disagree, but I'll get to that later)  in such tiny, almost unreadable letters?  If it was for fear of doing the spoiler thing, you already wrote in block caps  "SPOILER ALERT".   Anyone who chooses to continue reading after that is one of those people who doesn't care about spoilers.  I agree that it's not fair to "give away" a plot point or anything else about a film,  but shirley your SPOILER ALERT  warning was sufficient.

Anyway....HEY EVERYONE,   SPOILER ALERT  !!!.....the reason I disagree with your theory that the scene Eddie was talking about is the one where Janis Carter's character begs/ demands/pleads to see the body of the murdered woman is this:   Maybe I'm the only one who perceived it that way, but I thought Jill (Carter's character) sounded more like a petulant demanding spoiled brat, a kid almost,  whining to their parent for candy,  rather than someone  turned on at the idea of gazing on a freshly beaten up corpse.  I didn't think she sounded sexy or  aroused so much as just morbidly curious.  Maybe you have to be a hetero guy to pick up on the supposed sexual nature of her plea  (which went unfulfilled,  as Cochrane drove away without gratifying her request.  Maybe it's a metaphor, maybe Tony Cochrane just couldn't gratify her anymore--ok, that's going a bit over-the-top, I concede. )

So that brings us to the other scene you mention,   SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT    KEEP READING AT YOUR OWN PERIL IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THIS MOVIE,  the scene where Jill stabs Tony with the ice pick while he's kissing her.  I'm pretty sure that is the scene that Eddie's referring to. Even Eddie seems to get a bit hot and bothered talking about it. So,  I do agree with you, Tom,  about that part,  I believe that is THE  sado- erotic scene he makes such a big deal about.

But, honestly,  I really think Eddie was exaggerating the shock value of that scene.   Jill  didn't look to me like she was in the throes of sexual ecstasy as she stabbed Tony.  (And what she thought she was going to accomplish by doing that we'll never know, as of course she was caught and arrested immediately afterwards, as she must have known she would be.)  I just didn't think it was all that erotic.   The way Eddie Muller went on about it,  you'd think it was the most outrageous sexual scene in all of classic noirdom.

ALSO....yup,  just one thing more...Again, Eddie  went on and on about the powerful sexual attraction between Tony and Jill,  how they just couldn't help themselves, etc. etc. Again, I didn't really see that.  Tony spent most of the movie trying to tell her he was through with her,  and he didn't strike me as someone who was fighting an almost overwhelming physical pull to Jill.  Maybe all that part of their illicit relationship is supposed to have happened before the film even begins.  I've seen lots of other noirs where an irresistible erotic attraction is depicted much more effectively and convincingly.

All that said, I did enjoy Night Editor and would watch it again.  Maybe I'll pick up on that supposed erotic attraction between Jill and Tony more upon a second viewing.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, TomJH said:

Did anyone else experience the picture rolling during the broadcast of Night Editor (briefly during the murder scene near the beginning), as well as, far worse,  during Eddie's closing comments? I've near seen TCM technically mess up like that before.

I did.  It was very annoying.  Fortunately it mostly happened after the screening of the film, during Eddie's "outro" commentary.  It also happened briefly, as you say, early on in the film, but fortunately it resolved and didn't come back until Eddie came on again.  (You could hear what he was saying, just not see much.)

I suspect it had something to do with the TCM satellite signal pick-up  in Ontario, since it looks like you and I were the only ones who experienced the problem.

Let's hope it doesn't happen again !

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Tom, how come you wrote that explanation (with which I disagree, but I'll get to that later)  in such tiny, almost unreadable letters?  If it was for fear of doing the spoiler thing, you already wrote in block caps  "SPOILER ALERT".   Anyone who chooses to continue reading after that is one of those people who doesn't care about spoilers.  I agree that it's not fair to "give away" a plot point or anything else about a film,  but shirley your SPOILER ALERT  warning was sufficient.

Well, Eddie never did say which scene he was talking about but since we've seen femme fatales stab or shoot guys in other films and I can't think of ANY other '40s movie in which a woman screamed that she wanted to see a dead body (kinky, for sure, with possibly a hint of n e c r o p h i l i a) I'm pretty sure the earlier scene was probably the one on his mind. Certainly to me it's the most noteworthy illustration of Carter being a woman "with a difference," even if the scene could have been developed more in the film (but, keep in mind, the film makers were trying to get this scene past the censors). Having said that, though, I agree that stabbing a guy while kissing him is pretty perverse, as well, as it does combine a desire for an erotic experience with violence (even if you don't find the execution of the scene that erotic).

As for my small font selection after the Spoiler Alert, it was just an added assurance that someone would not unintentionally read major plot giveaways.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

But, honestly,  I really think Eddie was exaggerating the shock value of that scene.

I thought Eddie was talking about the scene when in the car Tony and Jill witnessed the murder and Jill got all erotico hysterical because she had a drooling desire to see the body. Probably because I, too, did not see the ice pick stabbing as erotic. It was quirky.

Eddie pointed out (interestingly) that the telling of the story is a device for B pictures (and others presumably) to save money. I never realized that ... but I still like the device. That would have allowed an addendum that Tom suggested (irony, or no?) i.e., that the movie follow Jill to her prison days with the idea of knowing her reactions to those who die in prison, lol.. The night editor could have simply related that and it would be funny. But I see such a thing as a modern movie device, back then they didn't get that cutesy with an ending like that. 

5 minutes ago, laffite said:

Eddie pointed out (interestingly) that the telling of the story is a device for B pictures (and others presumably) to save money. I never realized that ... but I still like the device. That would have allowed an addendum that Tom suggested (irony, or no?) i.e., that the movie follow Jill to her prison days with the idea of knowing her reactions to those who die in prison, lol.. The night editor could have simply related that and it would be funny. But I see such a thing as a modern movie device, back then they didn't get that cutesy with an ending like that. 

I think that when it  came to her relationships Janis Carter's character was decidedly, shall we say, adaptable (and looking for any kind of thrill that was different). It would have been interesting to see how she would have responded to her prison cell mates. Unfortunately, it would never have gotten past the censor.

It wasn't Jill's story, wouldn't make much sense to follow her story. Jill didn't know why she did the things she did. She apologizes everytime after she does something awful. She  immediately apologizes to Garagan after stabbing him.  I think she says she doesn't know why she did it. She was nuts., I do agree that she was looking for the next thrill. 

LOL I told you guys, the follow up to Jill is she becomes Sharon Stone's character in Basic Instinct LOL A murderous, bi-sexual voyeur with a fascination for ice picks LOL

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, laffite said:

They couldn't film it, to be sure. But as I mentioned before it could have been narrated by the night editor and said in such a way that would be effective.

"Janis had numerous close friendships while locked away and only stabbed two of them."

3 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

It wasn't Jill's story, wouldn't make much sense to follow her story. Jill didn't know why she did the things she did. She apologizes everytime after she does something awful. She  immediately apologizes to Garagan after stabbing him.  I think she says she doesn't know why she did it. She was nuts., I do agree that she was looking for the next thrill. 

LOL I told you guys, the follow up to Jill is she becomes Sharon Stone's character in Basic Instinct LOL A murderous, bi-sexual voyeur,

It might not have been her story but she's still the most interesting character in it. Immorality and perversity does that.

On 9/6/2020 at 2:20 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Spoiler Alert

Anyone else think of Sharon Stone's  ice pick scene in Basic Instinct ? I did.  What a hoot that pyscho voyeur scene of Janis Carter yelling I want to see the body! This was a nifty little noir.

Yes !  Sharon Stone and the ice pick in Basic Instinct  !  Almost certainly director Paul Verhhoeven must have seen Night Editor and remembered it, especially the ice pick stabbing scene at the end.   

I haven't seen Basic Instinct since it came out.  Wouldn't mind seeing it again, if only to compare it with Night Editor.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this morning's noir and knew right away what scene Eddie was referring to. Welcome back, buddy! I do question the number of liquor bottles behind him. My god, man. Did you empty them all yourself??? I love Eddie's comments. Plenty Kailua sombrero mix. 

Ok, I'll bite....there's been some discussion here as to which scene,  exactly,  Eddie was referring to.  If you're sure which one it was  ( there's been at least 3 suggested so far), please tell us.

ps:  I like Eddie's little tiki bar set-up.  Of course he doesn't imbibe all that alcohol himself, he has shapely dangerous ladies to help him with that.

5 minutes ago, TomJH said:

"Janis had numerous close friendships while locked away and only stabbed two of them."

"But in both cases she didn't get a good look at the bodies and for two weeks after babbled nearly incoherently about wanting to see the bodies while laughing hysterically. Hey, Where's Johnny?

• Like 1