Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

Well, that doesn't surprise me. It's the main reason I stay away from social media except for this site and a couple of golf sites.  People seem to love to argue and criticize when they are anonymous except for their screen names. i'm all about learning new things about the stuff I enjoy. Everybody has opinions and I try to respect them even if I disagree sometimes.  I certainly don't blame Eddie for not wanting to have to defend his opinions with someone that goes by the name Hoganman and thinks he's an expert on old movies.

Yeah, but I'll bet you could teach Eddie a thing or two about proper club selection though, couldn't ya Hoganman!  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

No, I'm pretty sure it wasn't our friend The Nipster who got into it with Eddie.

(...and now that I think about it, I think it might have been CaveGirl)

YES!!!! He/She Hated Eddie!

29 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

EDDIE may have mentioned it, but WILLIAM GARGAN was nominated for a SUPPORTING ACTOR OSCAR in 1940 for a film called THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WANTED. He was also in RAIN as JOAN CRAWFORD'S love interest and THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE.

He was in a movie that a caught a while back on TCM- I even went to imdb to try and recall the title, but no dice- it was about rival newspaper columnists who are after the same woman. even though i don't recall many things about it, I was absolutely struck with how good GARGAN was (he's like a more expressive, more interesting CHARLES McGRAW) and looking him up online as a result.

Was that a Carole Lombard film? (Wanted)

5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I remembered the Chandler story with the ice pick murder for what it's worth it's in Chandler's The Little Sister,  and it's kept in the filmed version Marlowe (1969).

It's interesting at the end of the end credits, in small print it still says The Little Sister. They must've changed the title after the film wrapped up and forgot to make that change in the end credits.

I wish they would have kept the same time period in the film and not updated it.

I've actually read a great deal of the sources of Noir Alley.  One of the reasons I first joined this board/discussion group was after seeing a horrible adaptation of Cornell Woolrich's I Married a Dead Man.  I would like to see the non-foreign version with Stanwyck in the role (and hear Eddie's comments).

I find out so information about some of the posters (much of it fascinating).  Somehow, my post from the other day showed up.  I find that it isn't worth the effort to engage negatively on social media (or, sometimes, in person).

Re: the comment about bipolarity.  Bipolarity is a various serious issue for me.  There is a genetic component to it (i.e., it can run in families).  I've known individuals whose mental illness has been used against them.

I hope Eddie visits this board.  I'm just glad Noir Alley is back on the schedule.

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

LOL

No, I'm pretty sure it wasn't our friend The Nipster who got into it with Eddie.

(...and now that I think about it, I think it might have been CaveGirl)

It was cavegirl and she  posted terrible things  on the bd. about  Eddie and more than once. He never returned after that, so I guess we have her/him to thank for Eddie's not returning to the bds.

• Thanks 1

About the Night Editor  / Basic Instinct  comparison:  I'm just going to say this, and then I'm done with this argument.

I still think it's possible,  even likely,  that Paul Verhoeven  at some point saw the film Night Editor and was influenced by it a bit in his making of Basic Instinct.  Of course it's not a step-by-step  remake.  But there are enough similarities that it's certainly reasonable to speculate he saw the earlier film and remembered it and maybe incorporated certain aspects of it into his own film.

True,  there are  certain recurring  tropes, stereotypes,  repeating themes,  etc.  in all crime movies.  And maybe the similarities between the two films are just coincidental.  But it's at least a valid consideration,  some of the points they have in common are pretty specific.  No need to mock the idea, anyway.

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

About the Night Editor  / Basic Instinct  comparison:  I'm just going to say this, and then I'm done with this argument.

I still it's possible,  even likely,  that Paul Verhoeven  at some point saw the film Night Editor and was influenced by it a bit in his making of Basic Instinct.  Of course it's not a step-by-step  remake.  But there are enough similarities that it's certainly reasonable to speculate he saw the earlier film and remembered it and maybe incorporated certain aspects of it into his own film.

True,  there are  certain recurring  tropes, stereotypes,  repeating themes,  etc.  in all crime movies.  And maybe the similarities between the two films are just coincidental.  But it's at least a valid consideration,  some of the points they have in common are pretty specific.  No need to mock the idea, anyway.

This post bears repeating that's why I'm quoting you. Only one check is allowed per post so I'm LIKING and THANKING your post. Hope this and your post are the last word but doubt it LOL

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

I certainly don't blame Eddie for not wanting to have to defend his opinions with someone that goes by the name Hoganman and thinks he's an expert on old movies.

...but maybe he wouldn't mind having a round of golf with you. Along about the 12th hole, you might say, "oh, btw, Eddie ... now just what die you mean by ....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I've actually read a great deal of the sources of Noir Alley.  One of the reasons I first joined this board/discussion group was after seeing a horrible adaptation of Cornell Woolrich's I Married a Dead Man.  I would like to see the non-foreign version with Stanwyck in the role (and hear Eddie's comments).

I love NO MAN OF HER OWN (1950)- the STANWYCK-STARRING adaptation of I MARRIED A DEAD MAN. It periodically shows up online, it's also an hour long episode of the SCREEN DIRECTOR'S PLAYHOUSE that you can listen to for free at archive.org or youtube and I own the OLIVE FILMS DVD RELEASE from just a few years ago.

It is one of STANWYCK'S finest performances.

220px-No_Man_of_Her_Own_1950.jpg

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I love NO MAN OF HER OWN (1950)- the STANWYCK-STARRING adaptation of I MARRIED A DEAD MAN. It periodically shows up online, it's also an hour long episode of the SCREEN DIRECTOR'S PLAYHOUSE that you can listen to for free at archive.org or youtube and I own the OLIVE FILMS DVD RELEASE from just a few years ago.

And NEVER shown on TCM! :(

• Thanks 1

Another good reason I'm considering getting Amazon Prime, Amazon prime Video has No Man of Her Own. It's about 3.99 to rent.

I can'lt remember the name of a made for tv movie and it's not listed im imdb, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a remake of it as a made for tv movie.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It's a PARAMOUNT Picture!

(I am really glad I own the DVD, have been meaning to rewatch it lately.)

YEP! Goes w/out saying. :(

12 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

We get a Paramount network.  Maybe it will show up on that.  However, it would be missing Eddie's comments.  Was that Ginger Rogers in the TV version?

No, it was later than that. A contermporary version maybe in the 1980's or 1990's

12 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

We get a Paramount network.  Maybe it will show up on that.  However, it would be missing Eddie's comments.  Was that Ginger Rogers in the TV version?

I wouldn't count on it I haven't seen any old films on that network. Was hoping there would be.

• Thanks 1

Not only had Verhoeven seen Night Editor before, but he screened it a few times every week while

shooting Basic Instinct, just to make sure he got everything copied correctly. But he was not the first

to do this. Adrian Lyne was also a long-time fan of Night Editor. He switched more things around

for Fatal Attraction as he didn't want anyone to discover that he never had had a good idea of his own

but had to rely on some old low-budget crime flick for "inspiration." 

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

A very good,  pre-code films is No Man of Her Own,  with Gable and Lombard.     This is where they first meet but they didn't become an item until many years later.

Not related to the Stanwyck version or the T.V. movie one.    Still a first rate picture with some racy pre-codes scenes.

BUT since it is Lombard,  it is also Paramount and,,,,  thus,  don't expect to find it on TCM.

No Man of Her Own (1932 film) - Wikipedia

39 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Lavender -- do you mean Mrs. Winterbourne?  It was dreadful.  I think that was a movie with Ricki Lake and Shirley M.

No, not that one. it was some made for tv movie like a Lifetime movie before they changed and did more violent ones.  I've never seen Mrs. Winterborne. I wish I could remember but the plot was basically the same. It was probably 20 to 30 years ago

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I haven't read Woolrichs I Married A Dead Man that I can remember, but from the synopsys No Man Of Her Own seems to follow the novel. BTW I also like the film.

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

A very good,  pre-code films is No Man of Her Own,  with Gable and Lombard.     This is where they first meet but they didn't become an item until many years later.

Not related to the Stanwyck version or the T.V. movie one.    Still a first rate picture with some racy pre-codes scenes.

BUT since it is Lombard,  it is also Paramount and,,,,  thus,  don't expect to find it on TCM.

No Man of Her Own (1932 film) - Wikipedia

I actually have seen this on TCM. However, 1) Universal currently controls most of Paramount's pre-1950 talkie films; 2) Universal may be reserving this title for its Peacock subscribers; and 3) Kino recently released this on Blu-ray with a couple of Lombard's other Pre-Code films.

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

I haven't read Woolrichs I Married A Dead Man that I can remember, but from the synopsys No Man Of Her Own seems to follow the novel. BTW I also like the film.

The opening lines of NO MAN OF HER OWN are a Word for Word quote of the opening paragraph of Woolrichs novel.

• Like 1