Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, TomJH said:

Brent's best performance may well be in THE RAINS CAME. He largely dominates the first half of the film before taking a back seat to Ty Power and Myrna Loy. But he brings more charm to the part than is usually the case.

I'll have to check him out in that again.

Certainly better than dour Fred MacMurray in the remake.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I'll have to check him out in that again.

Certainly better than dour Fred MacMurray in the remake.

BUT, at least FRED never reminded you of Bugs or any other type of hare, RIGHT Bronxie?!

(...just attempting to diagnose the severity of your Rabbititis here, that's all...NOT that I'm medically qualified in these regards you understand, but just for my own personal future reference, ya see) ;)

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

BUT, at least FRED never reminded you of Bugs or any other type of hare, RIGHT Bronxie?!

(...just attempting to diagnose the severity of your Rabbititis here, that's all...NOT that I'm medically qualified in these regards you understand, but just for my own personal future reference, ya see) ;)

 

Fred MacMurray always reminded me of that cartoon boy Henry, mixed with some type of saurian creature from a sci-fi movie.

I don't love bunnies.  They are soft and fluffy but lack personality.  Harvey, however, is the exception.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, and speaking of the lesbian vibe Rosemary was givin' off in this movie...Gotta say I wouldn't have minded if during this scene...

original-film-title-danger-signal-englis

(...oh never mind...NO WAY it was gonna happen in 1945, huh!)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Faye Emerson's fivehead always gets in my way.

Never noticed George Brent's rear end but I think it's time I did.

I don't think Zachary Scott even had one.  He was too skinny.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Ya know MissW, now that you've brought this up, yeah, I think I also picked up a little vibe like this from  Rosemary DeCamp's character, and even though for some reason I found Rosemary in this movie being just about the sexiest character she might have ever played. 

(...admission to follow...even as a kid I thought she was kind'a hot when I watched her hawking 20 Mule Team Borax on TV...and ya know, I think CigarJoe even once mentioned around here that he felt the same way about her)

And secondly, and regarding Zachary Scott, and getting a "slight gay vibe" from an actor, I almost always did in the case of almost any character he ever played on screen, anyway.

Thanks for the thoughts on the Rosemary DeCamp character,  Dargs.

I just want to clarify something:   I never said I thought Scott seemed gay  (or even gay-ish), neither in Danger Signal nor in any other film I've seen him in.  He's just not very attractive to me, personally.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ElCid said:

Actually I wondered why Erdman showed up as a midshipman.  The war was over, was the Navy really looking for more officer candidates?  Was he on his way to the US Naval Academy?  Doubtful.

I wouldn't want to serve on any ship he was on. :) I think it was just a quick way to have a happy ending.

The younger sister likes Erdman again with his more mature attitude and look, and Bruce Bennett

finally asks for a date with Emerson on his half dozenth try. And mama can look forward to two weddings.

I doubt the producers and director gave much thought to why Erdman was in the Navy beyond the happy

ending scenario. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm assuming most of you here know that Richard Erdman was in another noir with the word "danger" in the title, a much better one,  called  Cry Danger.  The latter was made six years later, and it shows...Erdman no longer looks like a Mickey Rooney stand-in, he's developed his own style.  I always kind of liked him, he was always a good character actor.  Other notable noir (ish)  movies Erdman was in:  The Blue Gardenia  and Stalag 17.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Hey, and speaking of the lesbian vibe Rosemary was givin' off in this movie...Gotta say I wouldn't have minded if during this scene...

original-film-title-danger-signal-englis

(...oh never mind...NO WAY it was gonna happen in 1945, huh!)

Well Dargo, as that 'dope from the Draft Board' might have said, "Wellllll now, I wouldn't say that!"  If the censors were drunk enough....well, ya never know!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Thanks for the thoughts on the Rosemary DeCamp character,  Dargs.

I just want to clarify something:   I never said I thought Scott seemed gay  (or even gay-ish), neither in Danger Signal nor in any other film I've seen him in.  He's just not very attractive to me, personally.   

Yeah, I understood that. I guess it must be me who's ever felt that way about how Zac Scott played so many of his characters and especially his most noted caddish ones.

(...but then again, I do have to admit my "gaydar" has never functioned at a very high level)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I understood that. I guess it must be me who's ever felt that way about how Zac Scott played so many of his characters and especially his most noted caddish ones.

(...but then again, I do have to admit my "gaydar" has never functioned at a very high level)

Maybe you conflate gay with effete. Zachary often came across as that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Maybe you conflate gay with effete. Zachary often came across as that.

That could very likely be it. Good point.

(...although now I'm wondering what our friend Lorna might feel about Zac in this regard...yea or nay)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Re:  EXPERIMENT PERILOUS.  Is there any film (other, perhaps, than SAMSON AND DELILAH) that the beautiful but supremely wooden Hedy Lamarr doesn't drag down?

As for George Brent, the best thing I've ever seen him in is JEZEBEL, as Buck Cantrell.  Frankly it's hard remembering any of his other roles.

He was good in The Rains Came too.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  I know Dargo is disdainful of James Craig, one of my favorite actors.  And Miss Wonderley doesn't think Zachary Scott is swoon-worthy.  He was awesome in "The Mask of Dimitrious", but like the ending of "Danger Signal", the last minute or so of the film left a bad taste in my mouth.  I mean, in "The Mask of Dimitrious", Scott comes across as cold, calculating, and disturbingly efficient in getting good-hearted people to aid him in his dastardly schemes that benefit him, but destroys them!  But at the end of the film, Scott gets pushed around by Peter Lorre, of all people (and unlike Popeye, Lorre preferred Chesterfields to spinach!).

According to Zachary Scott's IMDB bio, he was married and had two daughters.  He also was one of the first male actors of his era to wear an earring (a tip-off toward his gayness or possible bi-sexuality?).  Anyway, according to a quote attributed to him, somebody asked him why he only wore one earring instead of two, to which he replied, "Because two earrings would be ostentatious."!  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Zachary Scott does sleazy cad/weakling very well (check him out in FLAMINGO ROAD, reunited with Joan Crawford) but unfortunately I can never take him seriously because he bears more than a passing resemblance to Bugs Bunny.

 

Btw Bronxie, I DO have to admit and now that I've thought a little more about this whole "Rabbititis" thing, that there WAS one actor, more specifically an actress, who DID always kind'a remind me of a rabbit.

(...Meredith Baxter)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ya know MissW, now that you've brought this up, yeah, I think I also picked up a little vibe like this from  Rosemary DeCamp's character, and even though for some reason I found Rosemary in this movie being just about the sexiest character she might have ever played. 

(...admission to follow...even as a kid I thought she was kind'a hot when I watched her hawking 20 Mule Team Borax on TV...and ya know, I think CigarJoe even once mentioned around here that he felt the same way about her)

And secondly, and regarding Zachary Scott, and getting a "slight gay vibe" from an actor, I almost always did in the case of almost any character he ever played on screen, anyway.

I remember those 20 Mule Team Borax commercials! Didn't they run those during Death Valley Days? I didn't find her sexy though. All those stained overalls!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Btw Bronxie, I DO have to admit and now that I've thought a little more about this whole "Rabbititis" thing, that there WAS one actor, more specifically an actress, who DID always kind'a remind me of a rabbit.

(...Meredith Baxter)

I can sort of see it.  Her teeth.

Interesting resume -- CAT CREATURE and Betty Broderick, two individuals you definitely don't want to mess with.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

midwestan,  can you recommend any James Craig movies to me other than KITTY FOYLE and THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER?  (he's good in the latter)  I've tried to like him but his voice is a bit tough to take.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Although Zachary Scott is a bit underweight for my particular taste, I do think he's got charisma.   Someone I'd like to sit down with and shoot the breeze about film and life in general.   I do appreciate that Scott tried to expand his versatility with Jean Renoir's THE SOUTHERNER.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I remember those 20 Mule Team Borax commercials! Didn't they run those during Death Valley Days? I didn't find her sexy though. All those stained overalls!

Yep, it sponsored the 1952-1970 program for many years, and Rosemary DeCamp was for one year (1965)  even the cohosted the series during the same period a certain actor, who'd eventually have a very successful political career, hosted it.

So Hibi, do you remember this western anthology series' original host from 1952 until Ronnie took over the job in 1964?

I do. His name was Stanley Andrews, and was known as "The Old Ranger"...

Stanley_Andrews_1953.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

midwestan,  can you recommend any James Craig movies to me other than KITTY FOYLE and THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER?  (he's good in the latter)  I've tried to like him but his voice is a bit tough to take.  

And THAT'S because (and as I mentioned in that recent "Actors You Don't Like" thread), his line readings were usually about as "good" as George Raft's!

In other words TERRIBLE, and sounding as if he's reciting his lines for the first time right off his copy of the script, and with very unnatural sounding inflection and cadence. And which just from your comment up there Bronxie about having a "tough time taking his voice", sounds to ME as if you know exactly what I'm talkin' about here.

(...BUT, there WAS one film I've always thought he wasn't bad in and in fact maybe even GOOD in it, and that would be this one lower-budgeted Mickey Rooney vehicle titled The Strip (1951), and where the usually wooden Mr. Craig played an underworld kingpin, and role which now that I think about it, Zachary Scott would have been very good with too...however, because Midwesty seems to like Mr. Craig for some reason, maybe he can give you the titles of a few other films he thinks he's good in)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Re:  EXPERIMENT PERILOUS.  Is there any film (other, perhaps, than SAMSON AND DELILAH) that the beautiful but supremely wooden Hedy Lamarr doesn't drag down?

As for George Brent, the best thing I've ever seen him in is JEZEBEL, as Buck Cantrell.  Frankly it's hard remembering any of his other roles.

As others have said, George was pretty good in The Rains Came. He has good chemistry with Myrna Loy in Stamboul Express and with Barbara Stanwyck in My Reputation and The Gay Sisters. He's pretty good in The Spiral Staircase. He does comedy surprisingly well in Honeymoon for Three with Ann Sheridan. I still don't get how George became a leading man rather than a character actor.

As for Hedy Lamarr, maybe her best performance is in H.M. Pulham, Esq., where she plays a character named Marvin Miles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yep, it sponsored the 1952-1970 program for many years, and Rosemary DeCamp was for one year (1965)  even the cohosted the series during the same period a certain actor, who'd eventually have a very successful political career, hosted it.

So Hibi, do you remember this western anthology series' original host from 1952 until Ronnie took over the job in 1964?

I do. His name was Stanley Andrews, and was known as "The Old Ranger"...

Stanley_Andrews_1953.JPG

No, sorry. Before my time. I do remember the series in later years and those commercials! (actually the commercials more than the show itself). Had totally forgotten about it until now. LOL

I think it was on late Sun afternoons/early evenings. (at least in my area).

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I'm assuming most of you here know that Richard Erdman was in another noir with the word "danger" in the title, a much better one,  called  Cry Danger.  The latter was made six years later, and it shows...Erdman no longer looks like a Mickey Rooney stand-in, he's developed his own style.  I always kind of liked him, he was always a good character actor.  Other notable noir (ish)  movies Erdman was in:  The Blue Gardenia  and Stalag 17.

I was going to mention Erdman in Cry Danger, but didn't,  He was very good in that one and had a much larger role.  Cry Danger is a very good movie.  I have it on DVD.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

No, sorry. Before my time. I do remember the series in later years and those commercials! (actually the commercials more than the show itself). Had totally forgotten about it until now. LOL

I think it was on late Sun afternoons/early evenings. (at least in my area).

Death Valley Days is on somewhere, StarzEncore-Western I think.  Fairly interesting to watch and wonder just how accurate it is as to the history of the Old West.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...