Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

31 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Death Valley Days is on somewhere, StarzEncore-Western I think.  Fairly interesting to watch and wonder just how accurate it is as to the history of the Old West.

Well, I do seem to recall there WAS that one episode where they showed Wyatt Earp throwing a birthday party for Ike Clanton and getting along like the best of friends.

(...and so maybe not so much)  ;)

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Are the episodes based on historical incidents?

Yes, as I recall almost all of its episodes were supposedly based on the actual events of the old west.

(...but once again, you know what they say about this sort'a thing: "Never get your history from Hollywood films", and so I'm sure there were probably a few liberties taken with the actual facts over its run)

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

midwestan,  can you recommend any James Craig movies to me other than KITTY FOYLE and THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER?  (he's good in the latter)  I've tried to like him but his voice is a bit tough to take.  

Well, Bronxgirl, I don't mind his voice at all.  To me, it's much, much less annoying than say, Ned Sparks or Andy Devine (I've got nothing against these guys, by the way)!

As Dargo mentioned earlier, Craig was in "The Strip" which starred Mickey Rooney.  Craig also played with Rooney in "The Human Comedy", which was made in 1943 and featured a good supporting cast all the way around.  Craig was in "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes" with Edward G. Robinson, Agnes Moorehead, Margaret O'Brien, Frances Gifford, and Butch Jenkins.  He was also the male lead in "Lost Angel" with Margaret O'Brien, Marsha Hunt, and Keenan Wynn.  He was part of a stellar cast in "While The City Sleeps" where he was 'the other man' sleeping around with the voluptuous Rhonda Fleming who was more turned on by Craig than her co-starring husband (played by Vincent Price).  He was also in "Fort Vengeance" where he and his brother (Keith Larsen) join the Mounties after a Montana posse chases them into Canada following a rigged card game and subsequent saloon shooting (instigated by Larsen).  Craig turns over a new leaf and becomes a model Mountie, but Larsen reverts to his cheating ways and besmirches the family name.   A young Rita Moreno is also in this picture.

"Side Street" has been shown several times on TCM.  Craig plays a mobster who is as cold-hearted as they come.  Farley Granger has come across some money...a LOT of money...by accident.  It belongs to Craig and his syndicate, and he'll do anything to get it back.  He strangle-kisses poor Jean Hagen in the back seat of a cab, then later, he shoots the poor cabbie in the back when the taxi driver decides he doesn't want to be a chauffeur for the mob anymore.  Of note, the cab driver was played by Harry Bellaver, who's brother and sister-in-law lived in the house that I now occupy (closest to silver screen fame I'll ever get!).

He was also in "The Heavenly Body" with William Powell and Hedy Lamarr.  He was in "Valley of the Sun" with Lucille Ball and Dean Jagger.  He was also in "Unexpected Uncle" with Ann Shirley and Charles Coburn.  And finally, he played in "Kismet" opposite Ronald Colman, Marlene Dieterich, and Joy Page.  Those are just a few of the films in his filmography.  According to his bio, he graduated from Rice and had designs on going into the medical profession, but a trip to southern California resulted in him catching the acting bug instead.  Once he retired from the big screen and television, he did rather well in the real estate business.

There isn't much to tell about his private life or how he got along with his co-stars on the set.  The only negative thing I read about him was from Joan Leslie, who co-starred with Craig in "Northwest Stampede" in 1948.  She said he was stand-offish and arrogant, and she didn't like him.  The only excuse I could offer for that is that his 3-year old son died that year, so he may have been feeling the sting of the death, or if the kid had a prolonged illness before he died, that could have weighed on him as well.  He was married 4 times (divorced twice, one wife died, and one marriage was annulled).  He had four kids from his first marriage (which lasted 20 years).  He played in a couple of movies with Margaret O'Brien and as many as 4 films with Butch Jenkins.  I would guess somebody like that would have had a decent rapport with kids, otherwise, the studio where he worked would have hesitated to put him in pictures with such youngsters. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I realize I'm a few days late, but I watched Danger Signal last night.  I think this is a movie that I started watching the last time it was on, because the beginning seemed familiar.  Then, I must have fallen asleep or something, because the remaining 3/4 of the film was new to me.

Anyway.

1) Zachary Scott.  I can't decide if I think he's attractive or not.  Sometimes he is, and sometimes he's goofy looking.  With his eyes and long eyelashes, at times he reminded me of a big version of little Scotty Beckett (not what actual grown Scotty Beckett grew up to look like) with a mustache.  What I do like about him is that he plays the sleaze so well.  Probably an unfortunate type casting for Scott, but movies need a good sleazeball, especially in noir, and Scott excels at it. 

I also didn't get his character's MO.  At the beginning it seemed like he was targeting rich lonely women (married or unmarried), then penning a suicide note in their own hand and absconding with their money and his ring.  I didn't get the sense that he forced the woman to pen the suicide note; I got the idea that through courting the women, he somehow got an idea of their handwriting so that he could replicate it.  After thinking that though, I couldn't remember if there were any scenes of him either watching Faye write, or if he'd stolen any letters she'd written.  As for leaving some money behind for the murder at the beginning of the film, I thought that perhaps he did that as eliminate the idea that she was robbed--thus messing up his suicide angle. 

I thought that his limp was going to have some significance later in the film--like act as an identifying characteristic or something.  But it didn't.

2) Faye Emerson.  I've seen Emerson in a couple other films previous to this and I never realized how big her forehead is.  But anyway, I think she is a very striking woman.  Her high cheekbones give her a unique look and I've liked her in the other films I've seen her in.  Before seeing her in movies, for the longest time I only knew of her from a passing reference made by Fred Mertz in an episode of I Love Lucy.  I thought she was excellent in this film and I liked seeing her in a main role as opposed to a supporting part.  In Uncertain Glory, I only wish her character was by Errol's side instead of just a few brief scenes at the beginning. The woman who is at Errol's side in that film is rather boring and it seems hard to believe that he'd be that interested in her.

3) Dr. Silva.  I don't know what was up with this character.  But I did like seeing Rosemary DeCamp in a role other than that of nagging housewife, like in Nora Prentiss (no wonder Kent Smith ruined himself for Ann Sheridan.  His wife sucked.  Lol). In Danger Signal, I thought the character was a bit weird and I didn't understand why she was speaking in an accent.  I didn't realize that she was speaking in a European accent.  For some reason, I thought she was supposed to be Hispanic. 

4) The race to the beach house.  Throughout the entire scene, I was wondering how Zachary Scott seemingly got there so quickly via bus, but apparently it took Bruce Bennett and Rosemary DeCamp a million years to get there.

5) I liked the idea that Emerson would poison Scott and I wish the production code hadn't interfered in that plot point.  I did like seeing Scott squirm, especially when he realized that he may have been beaten at his own game by a woman he underestimated.  

6) The sister.  I found it weird that her mother would be okay with her high school-aged daughter (I'm guessing? Maybe she was in college?) dating an adult man, at least 10 years her senior.  She comes home drunk announcing her engagement and the mother was rather nonchalant about it.  And she seemed okay with him living in their home when he's obviously involved with both of her daughters. 

7) The ending.  Ugh! What was this ending? Scott's lame death via exposed tree root, and then the happy ending.  It was like the film had suddenly segued into the ending of a rom-com.  Between all the laughter and the bouncy music.  I think that Scott's death could have been more impactful had more of a struggle ensued between the first deceased woman's husband; or perhaps between Bruce Bennett and Scott or something.  Tripping and falling is kind of lame. I got the idea that the first deceased woman's husband found Scott through investigation--like he was probably tailing him throughout the entire film.  There was that scene earlier in the film where the police told him that their research determined that the woman died via suicide and he objected to their verdict.  The police told him that they would need more evidence. I figured he was tailing Scott in an effort to find more evidence--then maybe he decided to pursue some vigilante justice? 

Overall, this movie was okay, but I don't think it's one that I would need to own and watch again and again.

As an aside, did anyone catch those George Washington bust lamps that Scott had in his bedroom?  Those were hideous! Speaking of hideous, Rosemary DeCamp's dress with the tassle-coated sleeves was also really ugly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Did you miss the part when Scott had Emerson write that suicide note? He said he was having trouble writing it in his story and asked if she could come up with something. He was obviously plotting her suicide, but it seemed a stretch to off her when no money was involved and in the house they all were living in! (just because she objected to him getting involved with her sister).

Yes, the mother seemed ok with her daughters fighting over the same man while living in her house! Something off about that mom. (LOL). And that dress WAS hideous!

Watched Nobody Lives Forever last night and Faye Emerson was in it.  She looked more alluring and had a much stronger role, although not as much screen time.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Did you miss the part when Scott had Emerson write that suicide note? He said he was having trouble writing it in his story and asked if she could come up with something. He was obviously plotting her suicide, but it seemed a stretch to off her when no money was involved and in the house they all were living in! (just because she objected to him getting involved with her sister).

Yes, the mother seemed ok with her daughters fighting over the same man while living in her house! Something off about that mom. (LOL). And that dress WAS hideous!

I must not have paid attention to why he was having her write.  The bird started screaming while I was watching this movie.  That makes more sense. I wonder if it was part of Scott's MO to specifically target women who had some sort of interest in writing; which could be why he used the short story writer occupation as a cover for his true intentions. He didn't seem happy about having his story published, but it did bring him income to use to woo the sister.

20 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I realize I'm a few days late, but I watched Danger Signal last night.  I think this is a movie that I started watching the last time it was on, because the beginning seemed familiar.  Then, I must have fallen asleep or something, because the remaining 3/4 of the film was new to me.

Anyway.

Zachary Scott.  I can't decide if I think he's attractive or not.  Sometimes he is, and sometimes he's goofy looking. 

Dr. Silva.  I don't know what was up with this character.  But I did like seeing Rosemary DeCamp in a role other than that of nagging housewife, like in Nora Prentiss (no wonder Kent Smith ruined himself for Ann Sheridan.  His wife sucked.  Lol). In Danger Signal, I thought the character was a bit weird and I didn't understand why she was speaking in an accent.  I didn't realize that she was speaking in a European accent.  For some reason, I thought she was supposed to be Hispanic.

The sister.  I found it weird that her mother would be okay with her high school-aged daughter dating an adult man, at least 10 years her senior.  She comes home drunk announcing her engagement and the mother was rather nonchalant about it.  And she seemed okay with him living in their home when he's obviously involved with both of her daughters.

As an aside, did anyone catch those George Washington bust lamps that Scott had in his bedroom?  Those were hideous! Speaking of hideous, Rosemary DeCamp's dress with the tassle-coated sleeves was also really ugly.

I apologize, because I know I bring this up every time you mention ZACHARY SCOTT, BUT:

OIP.HX84qNKWp2wBxduQlAMJDwAAAA?pid=Api&r   I can't be the only one to see the resemblance, no?

The name SILVA comes from, I think, LATIN for FOREST. It's not a specifically Hispanic name though (like the name Sylvia or Transylvania)

re: The family shenanigans, do you guys not get MAURY or BRAVO in the Pacific Northwest?

the lamps- I LOVE HIDEOUS LAMPS IN 1940S AND 50S MOVIES! Usually they are the boudoir or dressing room of a lady.

if you're going to cite an UGLY DRESS from a movie, you should include a pic!

ETA:

original-film-title-danger-signal-englis

SISTER MARY FRANCIS THOSE SLEEVES ARE FUGTACULAR!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I apologize, because I know I bring this up every time you mention ZACHARY SCOTT, BUT:

OIP.HX84qNKWp2wBxduQlAMJDwAAAA?pid=Api&r   I can't be the only one to see the resemblance, no?

The name SILVA comes from, I think, LATIN for FOREST. It's not a specifically Hispanic name though (like the name Sylvia or Transylvania)

re: The family shenanigans, do you guys not get MAURY or BRAVO in the Pacific Northwest?

the lamps- I LOVE HIDEOUS LAMPS IN 1940S AND 50S MOVIES! Usually they are the boudoir or dressing room of a lady.

ETA:

Lol.

I do see the resemblance between Scott and the weasel (?) photo that you posted. I didn't realize that Silva was Latin for forest.  Even Rosemary DeCamp's accent didn't strike me as European.  I honestly thought she was doing a Mexican accent or something of that nature-- so I didn't pick up on the stereotype re: European psychiatrists.

Yes. We do get Maury.  Honestly though, I haven't watched since Maury decided to devote his show to paternity tests and stopped doing the shows about out of control kids and doing the "my wife used to be hot, but now she's not" makeovers, or the "guess who's a man and who's a woman fashion shows." I never watch Bravo, so I don't even know what programming is on there, but I do have the channel.  I don't watch "reality" shows. 

The lamps were amazingly gaudy.  Everything back then, especially in the 30s and 40s was so ornate and over-the-top--even in the homes of characters who supposedly were poor. 

That dress is hideous.  Another of my favorite things about old movies--the wild dresses and hats that ladies wore. 

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ETA:

She wants to kiss her!!!  :D That look in her eyes.

• Thanks 1

I just can't get past those tassel sleeves.  This would be such an annoying dress to wear.  

And how do you wash this? Can this thing be dry cleaned? 

21 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Would think [ALL THOSE TASSLES ON THE SLEEVE]  would catch on things and tear off eventually...

I'm envisioning someone wearing it and getting absolutely ATTACKED by their HOUSE CATS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I knew Eddie Muller’s effusive praise of Janis Carter’s performance in Night Editor was not hyperbole.  I had seen Carter in Framed (1947), and was impressed by her femme fatale bona fides.  Carter acts with her eyes,  always in control, and several moves ahead of everyone else. Now, for that much-discussed scene Muller went to great lengths to highlight. Cochrane knew she was sexually aroused by violence. Being a cop, he must have seen her react that way before, liked it, and hated himself for liking it. The scene did not last long, but Carter, with her breathless excitement, sold it as well as possible given the limitations of the production code.  I guess the filmmakers decided showing Carter actually see the badly beaten corpse, and getting turned on, was a bridge too far. I’m happy they showed Night Editor, a noir gem.

I'm envisioning someone wearing it and getting absolutely ATTACKED by their HOUSE CATS.

Yeah, cats would be ALL over that thing!

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Would think they would catch on things and tear off eventually...

A dress with missing tassels seems even worse somehow.

• Haha 1

My bird would be obsessed with this dress if I wore it.

• Haha 1