Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Watched Red Light.  Enjoyed Eddie Muller's intro and outro.  My wife and I both found Raft to be "wooden" and have found him the same in other movies.  Virginia Mayo was very good, but not enough screen time.  Raymond Burr did his usual very good gangster role as he did in so many movies of the period.

We watch Perry Mason on DVD at least 3-4 times per week and interesting that Burr could do that role so well and then be as evil/mean as he was in noir and mystery roles.

Next week features Where Danger Lives with Robert Mitchum and Faith Domergue.  Not one of my favorites.  Somewhat similar to Mitchum's Angel Face with Jean Simmons.  To me in both, he is too serious, but also gets taken in too easily by the woman. While taken in in Out of the Past, it does not appear to be quite so easily.  Or maybe he shows he knows it but just doesn't care.

3 minutes ago, Arteesto said:

Any chance that Noir Alley can get moved to either Friday or Saturday nights...say...oh....10PM?

I believe that's happening in March (Saturday nights) . February is Oscar month, so it wouldn't be on, regardless.

• Thanks 1
On 1/8/2018 at 9:38 AM, TheCid said:

Watched Red Light.  Enjoyed Eddie Muller's intro and outro.  My wife and I both found Raft to be "wooden" and have found him the same in other movies.  Virginia Mayo was very good, but not enough screen time.  Raymond Burr did his usual very good gangster role as he did in so many movies of the period.

We watch Perry Mason on DVD at least 3-4 times per week and interesting that Burr could do that role so well and then be as evil/mean as he was in noir and mystery roles.

Next week features Where Danger Lives with Robert Mitchum and Faith Domergue.  Not one of my favorites.  Somewhat similar to Mitchum's Angel Face with Jean Simmons.  To me in both, he is too serious, but also gets taken in too easily by the woman. While taken in in Out of the Past, it does not appear to be quite so easily.  Or maybe he shows he knows it but just doesn't care.

Was that first film with Faith Domergue ever released? I heard this was rushed into release because the first film was a disaster, but I've never read anywhere whether it was ever released or not............

19 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Was that first film with Faith Domergue ever released? I heard this was rushed into release because the first film was a disaster, but I've never read anywhere whether it was ever released or not............

Are you asking if Faith Domergue's first movie was ever released or if Where Danger Lives was ever shown in theaters? And if so, WDL was released early because her first movie was so bad?  If so, what was her first movie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_Domergue  Wikipedia discusses Vendetta and WDL.

3 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Are you asking if Faith Domergue's first movie was ever released or if Where Danger Lives was ever shown in theaters? And if so, WDL was released early because her first movie was so bad?  If so, what was her first movie?

Faith Domergue's first substantial film role was in Vendetta, which was filmed in 1946, but not released until 1950. She had three other film roles, including Where Danger Lives, before Vendetta finally saw the light of day.

• Thanks 1

Yes, it was Vendetta. Unsure if it ever was released or not. I've never seen it ever being shown on tv. I think after a few films, Hughes gave up on her and she spent most of the 50s making horror flicks. I dont think she's bad in Vendetta, and she certainly was a looker.........

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

Faith Domergue's first substantial film role was in Vendetta, which was filmed in 1946, but not released until 1950. She had three other film roles, including Where Danger Lives, before Vendetta finally saw the light of day.

Thanks, I found some info on Wikipedia about both that is interesting.

Now, more importantly, how do you pronounce Domergue?  I have heard the d is silent and she got upset when people tried to use it.

Just now, Hibi said:

Yes, it was Vendetta. Unsure if it ever was released or not. I've never seen it ever being shown on tv. I think after a few films, Hughes gave up on her and she spent most of the 50s making horror flicks. I dont think she's bad in Vendetta, and she certainly was a looker.........

The Wiki article gives the impression she gave up on Hughes.

Brenty boy starred in the early 1950s British flick The Last Page, playing a

bookstore manager who, innocently, got messed up with all kinds of criminal

activities. And to top things off, the U.S. title was Man Bait. Now that has to

a noir.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, TheCid said:

The Wiki article gives the impression she gave up on Hughes.

That could be too. In any case, they parted ways after When Danger Lives.....

Its pronounced with soft g (with no ue sound at the end) I used to pronounce it DomerGUE. LOL) It's like DoMERGE sounding.........

15 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Brenty boy starred in the early 1950s British flick The Last Page, playing a

bookstore manager who, innocently, got messed up with all kinds of criminal

activities. And to top things off, the U.S. title was Man Bait. Now that has to

a noir.

Oh, that's right! I forgot about that. And Diana Dors was in it! (How could I forget HER??? LOL).

15 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I think I have seen Man Bait.  The description sounds familiar, but it has been a long, long time.  Probably on TCM or Fox Movie Channel.  Barely remember it.

Yes, TCM did show it once some years back. It may have been on since then. I think it was during primetime as I remember R.O. doing the presenting............Maybe 5 years ago?

It wasnt great, but interesting to see Dors in her early days. I dont remember much about it either except Dors' boyfriend caused problems..........

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Oh, that's right! I forgot about that. And Diana Dors was in it! (How could I forget HER??? LOL).

I'll bet George couldn't forget her either. Now if he had been younger... 

Not a bad picture, but nothing very special. I found the British bookstore

setting to be interesting, more so than if it had taken place in an Amazon

dsitibution center. 

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

A Hammer Production also.    I would like to see this film.   

Love the poster.    The Cards are Stacked....      (I don't think the poster is referring to cards!).

The Last Page FilmPoster.jpeg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL. I remember it being ok. As in not bad. Probably would watch it again (as I forgot the plot!)

I think I saw it two or three years back and I've forgotten a lot of the

plot details too. I remember that posed photo of Georgie dressed up

by a desk with a big shelf full of books in the background.

15 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

A Hammer Production also.    I would like to see this film.   

Love the poster.    The Cards are Stacked....      (I don't think the poster is referring to cards!).

The Last Page FilmPoster.jpeg

Talk about misleading advertising! Dors doesnt look like that in the film.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Talk about misleading advertising! Dors doesnt look like that in the film.

I get a lot of DVD catalogs and most have a noir or mystery or similar section.  The DVD covers or posters featured are nothing like the movie.

On a similar note, the pulp fiction books of yore were the same.  Many noirs were made from these books.  Hardcase Crime (http://hardcasecrime.com/) is a publisher who specializes in reprinting old mystery books and new books in the same style.  The covers are specially done for the new issues.  The covers are similar to above on almost all of them.  Cover of a new issue of an oldie below.  I have read most of the books from HC and pretty enjoyable, with some exceptions. Most recent covers are at http://hardcasecrime.com/books_bios.cgi

home_page_cover.jpg