Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Others have suggested that TCM leases titles as part of package deals to explain some of the films showing up on TCM Underground, so I wonder if Fear (1946) might be part of a similar deal.

Did anyone else notice Darren McGavin playing the role of ‘blonde student’ at the 31 minute mark?

fdzjFB9.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Others have suggested that TCM leases titles as part of package deals to explain some of the films showing up on TCM Underground, so I wonder if Fear (1946) might be part of a similar

I know Fear was made by Monogram, and that Warner Brothers owns the Monogram/Allied Artists film library.  Since WB and TCM fall under the AT&T umbrella, that could be why Fear was on Noir Alley. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

I think Eddie specifically mentioned the three lesser known stars in his "Summer Under The Stars" remark, because I would have been offended too if he mentioned Warren William in that way. In fact, if he wanted something good to say, I was wondering why he didn't mention William's performance. I didn't stick around for the outro remarks, so he might have mentioned him then. 

He actually did mention WW in his outro remarks, mentioning his performances in pre-code in the 30's as well as Perry Mason and The Lone Wolf.  Must admit, I am a WW fan!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Fear" was sort of a disappointment for me, although I'm glad I stuck through everything to the very end.  A lot of the dialog was really negative in this film, and even though the picture lasted just over an hour, the nastiness between several characters got old in a hurry.  Peter Cookson's interaction with his landlady and with Detective Schaefer was particularly noticeable and for some reason, it just wasn't very entertaining for me.  I did like Eddie Muller's post-picture wrap when he spoke of Warren William and the relationship of present-day actor Chris Pine to Anne Gwynne, who played Cookson's love interest in "Fear".  Peter Cookson went on to have a solid career on Broadway a few years after this film was made.  Another thing that struck me is the abrupt ending in which we didn't even get to see 'THE END' plastered on the screen.   The film just ended with some heightened music and a fade out....then, onto Eddie.  Then again, it was just a 'B' programmer, so it's probably foolish to expect it to be of award-worthy standards.

This was clearly an underfunded film, but I found it interesting and I wondered what "might have been" if it had been given more money.  Better sets, better lighting, better music, better direction....   I know that this can be said of almost any film, but this one had something going for it, and might have been cool if more effort had been made.  On the other hand, this is pretty much was Monogram did.  I was a bit chagrined to hear Eddie through shade on Warren William in his intro, as William is one of my favorite early actors.  He redeemed himself with his outro comments, however!  They can't all be great, and I find it fun to sometimes see a minor film that I haven't seen before.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

probably because we seen most of the good ones in the TCM library

I hope there aren't any Bigfoot private eye films. Eddie might have to start showing them.

I watched the whole thing, didn't remember any of it. Though I did have it marked as watched on my list.  Maybe I got it mixed up with that Ross Martin  Noir it's got a similar title. I looked at it as an inspiration for cheap bottom of the barrel creative filmmakers.

16 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Others have suggested that TCM leases titles as part of package deals to explain some of the films showing up on TCM Underground, so I wonder if Fear (1946) might be part of a similar deal.

Did anyone else notice Darren McGavin playing the role of ‘blonde student’ at the 31 minute mark?

fdzjFB9.jpg

Yes, I did! Was surprised that Eddie didn't mention it.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I know Fear was made by Monogram, and that Warner Brothers owns the Monogram/Allied Artists film library.  Since WB and TCM fall under the AT&T umbrella, that could be why Fear was on Noir Alley. 

Why don't they show more Monogram films then? In particular, I'd like to see Kay Francis' Monogram trio (minus Divorce, which was shown a few years back).

• Like 1
13 hours ago, midwestan said:

"Fear" was sort of a disappointment for me, although I'm glad I stuck through everything to the very end.  A lot of the dialog was really negative in this film, and even though the picture lasted just over an hour, the nastiness between several characters got old in a hurry.  Peter Cookson's interaction with his landlady and with Detective Schaefer was particularly noticeable and for some reason, it just wasn't very entertaining for me.  I did like Eddie Muller's post-picture wrap when he spoke of Warren William and the relationship of present-day actor Chris Pine to Anne Gwynne, who played Cookson's love interest in "Fear".  Peter Cookson went on to have a solid career on Broadway a few years after this film was made.  Another thing that struck me is the abrupt ending in which we didn't even get to see 'THE END' plastered on the screen.   The film just ended with some heightened music and a fade out....then, onto Eddie.  Then again, it was just a 'B' programmer, so it's probably foolish to expect it to be of award-worthy standards.

Yes, agree the ending was very abrupt!

44 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

probably because we seen most of the good ones in the TCM library

Yeah, I'm worried about that. How much longer Noir Alley will survive.

11 hours ago, overeasy said:

This was clearly an underfunded film, but I found it interesting and I wondered what "might have been" if it had been given more money.  Better sets, better lighting, better music, better direction....   I know that this can be said of almost any film, but this one had something going for it, and might have been cool if more effort had been made.  On the other hand, this is pretty much was Monogram did.  I was a bit chagrined to hear Eddie through shade on Warren William in his intro, as William is one of my favorite early actors.  He redeemed himself with his outro comments, however!  They can't all be great, and I find it fun to sometimes see a minor film that I haven't seen before.  

The film really dragged and felt longer than 68 minutes. Had they put more effort into the script; camera work; better ending, etc. it could've been better. But it's Monogram as you say.....

I don't know how expensive it would be, and I'm not sure if these have been shown in the past, but there are some excellent British noirs out there - October Man, Upturned Glass, Dear Murderer,  and Appointment with Crime for example. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched Fear 3 or 4 years ago on TCM. The print was in bad condition,i  I watched again to see if it was cleaned-up a bit..hélas no..The movie was cut to 28 minutes for tv in the fifties this explained probably the Motion Pictures for Television logo in the opening credits.I stopped watching and came back for the outro.Eddie could have mentionned the 40 minutes cut... the  'The End 'shot' did not survive the reconstructing surgery I guess.  Eddie should have done a double bill...

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Why don't they show more Monogram films then? In particular, I'd like to see Kay Francis' Monogram trio (minus Divorce, which was shown a few years back).

I would like to see the Monogram 60 or so minute westerns.

2 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I don't know how expensive it would be, and I'm not sure if these have been shown in the past, but there are some excellent British noirs out there - October Man, Upturned Glass, Dear Murderer,  and Appointment with Crime for example. 

I have watched some British Noir in the past and they are different from American Noir.  Not sure what, but seem to be more complicated (requiring more thinking), slower paced and less action.  Just the way I perceive them.

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

I have watched some British Noir in the past and they are different from American Noir.  Not sure what, but seem to be more complicated (requiring more thinking), slower paced and less action.  Just the way I perceive them.

In the British Noir the police also always seem to figure things out way too quickly one way or another and always get their man. There are never any dumb British coppers at least in the ones I've seen. 

26 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

In the British Noir the police also always seem to figure things out way too quickly one way or another and always get their man. There are never any dumb British coppers at least in the ones I've seen. 

I wondered about this and was going to ask since the British coppers in the Rathbone Holmes serial (and some horror films I have seen) are generally incompetent and often there for comic relief (their incompetent is the butt of the humor).

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I wondered about this and was going to ask since the British coppers in the Rathbone Holmes serial (and some horror films I have seen) are generally incompetent and often there for comic relief (their incompetent is the butt of the humor).

Well yea, in Sherlock stories he's the worlds greatest detective, cant have the coppers as smart as Holmes, or fill in the blank  Agatha Christie etc., etc.

Another Saturday night and I ain't got nowhere to go.  Actually I'll probably watch Kiss Me Deadly on Sunday morning at 10:00.

I have seen it a couple of times, but not really impressed by it.  Just read the article about it on Wiki and apparently most people are impressed with it.  Also, it was majorly changed from the book by Mickey Spillane, but that is not unusual for Hollywood.

On 11/16/2020 at 10:23 AM, Hibi said:

Yes, I did! Was surprised that Eddie didn't mention it.

Maybe because Darren wasn't his Father's buddy or didn't once have dinner at his house.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

I love Kiss Me Deadly so I definitely plan on watching this tonight. I loved the grittiness of it and how brutal Mike Hammer was.  I'm also a big fan of Ralph Meeker, so he's always a bonus.  Today also would have been his 100th birthday.  Maybe tonight will be a Meeker marathon. 

• Like 2

I enjoy Kiss Me Deadly.     What I really like about the film are the character actors,  especially the hoods played by Jack Lambert and Jack Elam.   These two were in a few noirs and they are fine here.    There is also Percy Hilton,  Strother Martin and Cloris Leachman.        Paul Steward and Albert Dekker also add their degree of slime.

Kiss Me Deadly - Bristol Festival of Ideas

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ElCid said:

Another Saturday night and I ain't got nowhere to go.  Actually I'll probably watch Kiss Me Deadly on Sunday morning at 10:00.

I have seen it a couple of times, but not really impressed by it.  Just read the article about it on Wiki and apparently most people are impressed with it.  Also, it was majorly changed from the book by Mickey Spillane, but that is not unusual for Hollywood.

Saaay Cid, gotta say that wasn't a bad Borgnine impression here at all!

(...although the harder one to do is Joe Mantell, ya know)  ;)

• Thanks 1