Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey Marty, wanna go down to Lowe's Paradise and  **** *** on the heads of those girls on the main

floor?

Nah, Ang, we just did that last week and remember the usher caught us and kicked us out.

C'mon Marty, it'll be fun.

Nah, they might call my mother. I don't want that Ang. Just last week she caught me in the bathroom.

You're gettin' to be a real drag, a real drag, you know that Marty.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Saaay Cid, gotta say that wasn't a bad Borgnine impression here at all!

(...although the harder one to do is Joe Mantell, ya know)  ;)

Actually I was thinking of Sam Cooke's Another Saturday Night with a change to the lyrics.

If you use a streaming service such as Sling to get TCM you won't watch "Kiss Me Deadly", as it is no longer licensed.   Another nail in the coffin for TCM unfortunately, as films increasingly disappear from their streaming menu and their overall film library loses its depth.  

I loved Kiss Me Deadly.  I've seen it multiple times and even own the Criterion,  but I watched it last night.  I thought that Eddie's guest looked like a skinnier Elton John.  Lol.  Anyway, the intro and closing comments were excellent, per usual.  I had no idea that the ending had been changed.  I've only ever seen the complete version of the film.

I'm a big fan of Ralph Meeker.  He is very attractive and I like his unique voice.  It kind of gives him a thug quality, but I enjoy it.  Meeker plays private investigator Mike Hammer very well.  I love how Hammer can be beating someone up in one scene and in the next, he's kissing some woman.  Every woman in this movie seemed to gravitate toward his lips.  I love how his girlfriend Velda is always throwing herself at him and he's too distracted by solving the mystery behind Cloris Leachman's character that he completely ignores her. 

This is such a unique film that I really like.  While the ending doesn't shock me now, it's still fantastic.  I like that this film doesn't possess any of the Hollywood glamour of the 1940s film noir.  I enjoy the grittiness of the mid-to-late 1950s film noir. This film has a sleazy quality that I enjoy.

I watched Kiss Me Deadly as part of a Ralph Meeker triple feature in honor of his 100th birthday.  I watched Jeopardy and Something Wild in addition to Kiss Me Deadly

I'm looking forward to next week's film: Suspense

• Like 3

Well SPEED, it's best(IMHO) to keep the "grittiness" of a Spillane book whenever making a movie based on any of them.   Now, I haven't seen this movie for many moons, and was miffed that I was unable to catch it this time.  But it wasn't because of any "streaming" issues, as I don't bother with that nonsense, it was a more personal reason that made me miss  it.  :(

And I'll take time to welcome ICSMITH to the boards.  :) 

Sepiatone

I watched Noir Alley and Kiss Me Deadly for about the third time.  More on the movie later.

I have read all of the Quarry series by Max Allan Collins and can recommend them.  WARNING!  He is retitling the early versions and re-releasing them.  So, if you read them under their original titles and order the "new" title, it is not a new book.  I have read some of Spillane's Mike Hammer novels and enjoyed them.  I read one that Collins "finished."  Not nearly as good.  He has done several of the "unfinished manuscripts."  Also, some of his books are graphic novels (comic books).

The movie.  To me, while there are a few good moments, it is mediocre.  Didn't care much for Meeker, but he was passable as a character.   His Hammer was somewhat wooden and far too evil.  As for the women, Leachman was good in a very brief role, but the others seemed to be caricatures of a film noir movie.   The ending seemed totally implausible.  I found the below on wikipedia.  It was not KMD as Spillaine wrote it and apparently he did not think much of what Aldrich and Besserides did with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_Me_Deadly  The original novel, while providing much of the plot, is about a mafia conspiracy and does not feature espionage and the mysterious nuclear suitcase, elements added to the film version by Bezzerides.

It further subverted Spillane's book by portraying Hammer as an amoral, narcissistic bully, perhaps the darkest anti-hero private detective in film noir. He apparently makes most of his living by blackmailing adulterous husbands and wives, and he takes an obvious sadistic pleasure in violence, whether he's beating up thugs sent to kill him, breaking a contact's treasured record to get him to talk, or roughing up a coroner who's slow to part with a piece of information. He also apparently has no compunction about engaging in acts such as pimping his secretary. Bezzerides wrote of the script: "I wrote it fast because I had contempt for it... I tell you Spillane didn't like what I did with his book. I ran into him at a restaurant and, boy, he didn't like me".[7]

Third time now that I've watched Kiss Me Deadly, and still found it to be a movie that could have possibly been written by Raymond Chandler...when he was about 15 years old, that is.

Other than once again seeing many of the sights of mid-century L.A. which no longer exist and the now classic sports cars which Ralph Meeker drives around the streets, I was reminded while watching it this time of what an overall preposterous storyline this Robert Aldrich directed film based on Mickey Spillane's book and screenplay contains, and in a way feels a bit amateurish in execution in many other aspects as well.

(...but even with the above being said, this STILL doesn't mean I didn't find it a hoot to watch again, and perhaps because of this very preposterousness which in some cases verges on being a parody of its genre, if not outright so)

• Like 1

I've been MIA  from Noir Alley for a couple of weeks. KISS ME DEADLY was a nice way to return. Admittedly, (spoiler alert) the nuclear device thing was a little far fetched, but I guess it was plausible in 1955. I liked Ralph Meeker's portrayal of Mike Hammer and it was interesting seeing Jack Elam,  Percy Helton, Strother Martin and Cloris Leachman so early in their careers.  I wasn't as impressed with Maxine Cooper as Velda. Maybe that was how the character was supposed to be, but I thought she overplayed the role.  All in all I give it a B+ as it was entertaining. 

Edit: I do now realize Percy Helton was not that early in his career. 

23 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Hey Marty, wanna go down to Lowe's Paradise and  **** *** on the heads of those girls on the main

floor?

Nah, Ang, we just did that last week and remember the usher caught us and kicked us out.

C'mon Marty, it'll be fun.

Nah, they might call my mother. I don't want that Ang. Just last week she caught me in the bathroom.

You're gettin' to be a real drag, a real drag, you know that Marty.

Boy, that Mickey Spillane sure could write.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

I've been MIA  from Noir Alley for a couple of weeks. KISS ME DEADLY was a nice way to return. Admittedly, (spoiler alert) the nuclear device thing was a little far fetched, but I guess it was plausible in 1955. I liked Ralph Meeker's portrayal of Mike Hammer and it was interesting seeing Jack Elam,  Percy Helton, Strother Martin and Cloris Leachman so early in their careers.  I wasn't as impressed with Maxine Cooper as Velda. Maybe that was how the character was supposed to be, but I thought she overplayed the role.  All in all I give it a B+ as it was entertaining. 

Edit: I do now realize Percy Helton was not that early in his career. 

I do agree with you re: Maxine Cooper.  I wonder how the film would have been if the lady who played "Friday" played Velda instead.  The lady playing "Lily Carver" reminded me of Murray's wife from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." 

Did anyone else think Gaby Rodgers resembled a cross between Barbara Barrie and Guiletta Massina?

This was my first Mike Hammer.  I always enjoy Ralph Meeker, Albert Dekker never fails to deliver, and I appreciated the early outre Aldrich touches.  

That ending, uh, really blew me away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Did anyone else think Gaby Rodgers resembled a cross between Barbara Barrie and Guiletta Massina?

This was my first Mike Hammer.  I always enjoy Ralph Meeker, Albert Dekker never fails to deliver, and I appreciated the early outre Aldrich touches.  

I agree and good eye Bronxgirl, very strong resemblance to both.  LOL, blew us away and a  bang up ending

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I like Albert Dekker, but I can't help but think of *how* he died when I see him on-screen.

1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

No Bronxie, that was Paddy Spillane in this case, I believe. 

(...or maybe Mickey Chayefsky possibly)

• Haha 1

Btw, everytime I watch this movie I wonder if maybe this ending might have been where screenwriter George Lucas had gotten the idea for the ending of Spielberg's first Indiana Jones flick.

(...the only thing different here being that the evil little female in this one isn't a Nazi)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

YES! Barrie especially. Massina was due more to the hair.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I like Albert Dekker, but I can't help but think of *how* he died when I see him on-screen.

OK Speedracer5; you sent me to Wikipedia with your comment. What a horrible story.  It will take awhile to get that mental  picture out of my mind.

2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Sure could. That's one of my favorite lines in the movie. I laugh even though

I know it's coming. Hey, put that away, my mother might be around. 

• Like 1

I always get a kick out of Kiss Me Deadly. It's pretty out there for a 1950s p.i. flick; part horror

movie, part detective movie, and part advertisement for the 1950s Playboy life style--girls,

cars, music, though Hammer is not as sophisticated as Hef would have wanted. And yeah, who

knew Elton John would show up on Noir Alley. All those rundown apartment buildings are so

sad and lonely and creepy too. On a minor point I'm glad the untalented opera singer wasn't killed,

as I could just imagine the two hoods coming into his room and starting to smash all his treasured

opera records, a la The Blackboard Jungle. Lots of fun and I suppose people can speculate endlessly

about what the box, or as Velda called it the what's it, was about. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

To all  you supposed noir fans who were left indifferent to Kiss Me Deadly - I say, what is the matter with you people?  What does it take to impress you?  An incredibly unusual, riveting movie and all you folks can say is "meh" ??

Look, I could understood someone not liking the film; after all, it's got a lot of nastiness, the main character is not everyone's idea of a sympathethic protagonist, the plot is almost as convoluted as The Big Sleep,  and that ending, unforgettable though it is , is also , let's face it, a downer.   I get all that, I get someone not finding watching Kiss Me Deadly a pleasant experience.   But what I don't get is someone saying it's "Ok".  It's way more than "Ok".    Dislike it if you want, but don't damn it with faint praise--it deserves so much more than that.

This is a film that jumps off the screen and grabs you, right from the start.  Look at the credits---they're  backwards !  They run on the screen from the bottom up. What a great, imaginative way to show us, right from the get-go, that this movie is about a world where things can go very, very wrong.  And the way it begins:  we have a young woman desperately running barefoot - barefoot-  along a deserted highway in the middle of the night.  She stops an approaching car by standing right in the middle of the road, her arms up.  What's going on, what's going to happen next?

Chloris Leachmans' character only has the one scene (unless you count that terrible torture scene,  which is mercifully short), but she packs a lot into those few minutes.  Who is she, where did she come from, why is she terrified?  The fact that these questions are at best, only partially answered -- well, not really answered at all -- doesn't matter.  She's ignited our curiosity, and she haunts the rest of the film.  

Something else really different about Kiss Me Deadly:  there's classical music all over the place.  We hear it a whole lot, not just when Mike Hammer turns on the radio in Christine's apartment, but later, when  Velda is practicing ballet  (?? how many secretaries do that?  there's more to this woman than luring men to help her boss's job), and of course, the opera-singer's scene.  Poor guy, Mike shouldn't have smashed his prized record like that.  But what an entertaining scene !

Also:  as Eddie pointed out in the intro, Mike Hammer may be nasty to a lot of people, but he's sincerely kind and respectful to his friends.  He's heartbroken when poor Nick gets killed;  he helps lighten the moving man's load  (and not just to get information);  he's bothered by the fact that Christine's "roommate" let her bird die;  he puts himself at risk to rescue Velda from the beach house  (little did he know how much risk).   And -let's remember this film was made in 1955-  he hangs out with Black people, and respects them.  I love the nightclub scene, where the Black lady is singing, with that great jazz/blues band backing her up.    He's not really so bad;  true, he's pretty violent with some people, but they're never the nice  people in the story.  The coroner took his money and still refused to help !  Also,  it doesn't hurt that much to get your hand jammed in a drawer.  It's not fun, but I wouldn't say it was sadistic of Mike to do that, he just wanted results, like so many noir protagonists.  And I'm pretty sure all the screaming was turned up and exaggerated  (as it was a few times in the film.)

The plot?  Sure, I've seen it four times now and I still don't know exactly what's going on and who everybody is.  I don't care.  The movie's so full of style and grit and surprises and oddball characters, I'm thoroughly entertained for all 106 minutes of it.  If we were to only wholeheartedly like the noirs where the plot makes sense, there'd be precious few noirs that we'd like.  Plot is not why I love film noir.

There's lots more to say about Kiss Me Deadly, I'll just wrap up by saying,  even if, inexplicably,  you're not sold on it for most of its running, time, shirley that ending grabs your attention.  The first time I saw this film,  I couldn't believe it.  I think I sat there, mouth agape in astonishment, for a full minute after "the end" appears on the screen. Some people say they like noir because it's so dark - well, it don't get much darker than this.   Apocalyptic.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I watched The Girlhunters1963 directed by Roy Rowland with Mickey Spillane playing Mike Hammer,the writer playing his fictionnal character.Spillane was credited with some of the screenplay. A neo Noir a good effort featuring the sultry Shirley Eaton,one year before Goldfinger,in the movie she wears 5 different bikinis...my favorite Bond Girl with Luciana Paluzzi. 7/10, the bikinis are not rated.   I know it was not on Noir Alley but since Spillane was heavily featured  in the show

girlhunters.jpg

Sorry MissW, but it's not any of the violence in this film and of which really isn't all that graphic and even given that it was filmed in the still movie coded year of 1955, nor is it its convoluted plot involving all those many characters thrown at us, but the reason I'll never place it among the better noirs films ever made (and a little side note here...I couldn't believe I saw 4 stars next to its title last night on my cable's guide page and discovering just now that the IMDb website gives it a "7.6" rating ) is simply because, and as I mentioned above, it seemed almost amateurishly made in many aspects, and with first among them being its stilted and clipped dialogue, which sure while this sort of thing being a mainstay of the noir genre, seemed excessively so in this film's case and enough so to as give me the impression that, and as I also said either,  its screenplay might have been written by a 15 year old attempting to channel Raymond Chandler.

I suppose I'll never be a Mickey Spillane fan, in other words. 

Secondly, I also found some of the acting in  it rather amatuerish and unbelieveable too, and especially so by actress Maxine Cooper who played Hammer's girl friday Velda. I also got the feeling that a few more of those acting in this film were either way over the top in their performances or were just phoning it in, and to be honest with ya, the latter being what I felt the usually reliable Albert Dekker did.

I also thought that while some of Aldrich's direction seemed somewhat innovative, much of the time the film's editing let it down.

And don't even mention that obviously over-dubbed and overdone scene of Percy Hilton sceaming in pain as Meeker closes that desk drawer on his hand. No, it wasn't "too graphic" for me more than it was just pain funny because of it being overdone and obviously NOT coming out of little Percy's own mouth. And thus, another little bit of amatuerism in my book.

(...however and like I also said earlier, I've STILL always been able to get some enjoyment out of it by thinking it as more a parody of its genre than by any other means, and so there's that...in other words, yeah, "meh")

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hoganman1 said:

OK Speedracer5; you sent me to Wikipedia with your comment. What a horrible story.  It will take awhile to get that mental  picture out of my mind.

It is absolutely horrible; but oddly fascinating in a macabre sort of way.