Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

...The porsche has stalled out.

CJ, the car Meeker stalls out at the beginning of this film while trying to avoid hitting Leachman was a Jaguar XK120, not a Porsche.

(...amazing how I could spot this while reading your version of War and Peace up there, ain't it...but then again, I AM a gearhead, ya know)  ;)

• Like 1

Have mentioned this before, but if looking for noirish/mystery/crime type books, check out Hard Case Crime.  They specialize in publishing old "pulp" books as well as new books of the genre.  They have a new one coming out from Max Allan Collins and will be reprinting his older books as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Full review? That post wins "Longest Post Ever" on this board!

Can't find the post to quote, but I too sat with my mouth agape at the end of KISS ME DEADLY-shocked first time I saw it. It still impacts me every time even though I know it's coming-I imagine it's the long slow build up.

That was me.  That was exactly my response the first time I saw the film.  Still kind of is.

Another minor point. I found the cop played by Wesley Addy a real pain the the neck. He kept 

hassling Hammer for no very good reason. If I hadn't seen the movie before, I might have thought

he was somehow in on the whole thing. Kind of creepy. From what I recall, Addy often played slick,

unsympathetic characters, though he do so very well.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Dargo said:

When one considers all the different and strange other things that Dekker's body was found with and which could have only been applied to his body by another person, I've never been so sure if it could truly be said Carradine's death was of a similiar case and cause.

(...just saying, Your Honor)

Well, the autoerotic asphyxiation aspect of the deaths is what I was focusing on.  Whether we like to admit it or not, I think most people have deep-seeded fetishes and kinks within them that very few of the people they know, are aware of.

19 hours ago, Dargo said:

CJ, the car Meeker stalls out at the beginning of this film while trying to avoid hitting Leachman was a Jaguar XK120, not a Porsche.

(...amazing how I could spot this while reading your version of War and Peace up there, ain't it...but then again, I AM a gearhead, ya know)  ;)

Yea those beetle bug shaped  cars look alike until you see the side by side lol , of course the  Jag has a grill the Porsche does not and there is a fender line and a dip in the side of the Jag at the door. Thanks its  fixed. I think I caught all the references.

Jaguar XK140 - Wikipedia

1955 Porsche 356 Continental – The Grand Dame of Zuffenhausen's Sports Cars  | Heacock Classic Insurance

• Like 3
4 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Yea those beetle bug shaped  cars look alike until you see the side by side lol , of course the  Jag has a grill the Porsche does not and there is a fender line and a dip in the side of the Jag at the door. Thanks its  fixed. I think I caught all the references.

Jaguar XK140 - Wikipedia

Thought it was interesting that when Cloris Leachman was told to get in the car, she apparently could not find the door handle.  Because there was not an outside one.  Your picture  shows that very well.  Early Corvettes did not have outside handles either.

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Thought it was interesting that when Cloris Leachman was told to get in the car, she apparently could not find the door handle.  Because there was not an outside one.  Your picture  shows that very well.  Early Corvettes did not have outside handles either.

How weird! Spoiled the look?

51 minutes ago, ElCid said:

And neither does my Porsche 550 Spyder.

(...btw, and re Meeker's early model Corvette in this film...those have always been my least favorite Vettes, but I have to say director Aldrich shows that car off to great advantage in this movie)

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

How weird! Spoiled the look?

Maybe.  Not sure why they did not have outside handles, especially considering how hard it was to reach the inside handle if top was up and the plastic window covers were installed.  Lot of "sports cars" of that era did not have glass windows, just plastic ones that "snapped" into place.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Dargo said:

And neither does my Porsche 550 Spyder.

(...btw, and re Meeker's early model Corvette in this film...those have always been my least favorite Vettes, but I have to say director Aldrich shows that car off to great advantage in this movie)

I only like Corvettes from 62 and earlier.  Actually never really been a fan of any Corvettes that much.

5 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Maybe.  Not sure why they did not have outside handles, especially considering how hard it was to reach the inside handle if top was up and the plastic window covers were installed.  Lot of "sports cars" of that era did not have glass windows, just plastic ones that "snapped" into place.

LOL. Not good for winter driving.

10 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I only like Corvettes from 62 and earlier.  Actually never really been a fan of any Corvettes that much.

It'd be the C2's, the '63-'67 Stingrays which have always been my favs.

(...I'll never forget as a kid of 10 watching the cast of 'Bonanza' in Sept '62 introducing the new 1963 Chevrolet model lineup and being wowed by the new Stingray...I felt the future had arrived)

So I am about to buy PITFALL (1948) on Blu-Ray, but I can't remember what I thought of it.  I decided to stop by and read what I said when I saw it on NOIR ALLEY.  Scanned all my posts and PITFALL didn't catch my eye.  .....

Anyone remember what I thought of it? ..... 🤣😂🤣

I hope everyone is doing well, or as well as they can be.  Sorry I didn't read through the hundred or more pages since my last post to catch up on what I have been missing.  (I'm just glad my login still worked.)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Looney said:

So I am about to buy PITFALL (1948) on Blu-Ray, but I can't remember what I thought of it.  I decided to stop by and read what I said when I saw it on NOIR ALLEY.  Scanned all my posts and PITFALL didn't catch my eye.  .....

I hope everyone is doing well, or as well as they can be.  Sorry I didn't read through the hundred or more pages since my last post to catch up on what I have been missing.  (I'm just glad my login still worked.)

I clicked on your username and it showed all of your prior post going back to September of 2019 and I didn't find any about Pitfall.   (and most of the post where from the Noir Alley sub-forum).

• Like 1

Pitfall (1948) was broadcast as part of Noir Alley on June 17, 2018.  If you go back to page 58 of this thread you can pick up where the comments for the film start.  Don't see any 'Looney' comments there either, but haven't checked other threads such as 'I Just Watched...'

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Looney said:

Here's a discussion about Pitfall in an old thread. Perhaps it will help you in your decision making. I didn't go through the entire thread so I couldn't tell you if you give an opinion in it or not.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Looney said:

Actually here Looney, there's no need at all to go back and attempt to find what you said about this movie, and 'cause I remember DISTINCTLY what you said about Pitfall back then. I AM blessed with total-recall ya know...or did you somehow miss seein' that thing I said up there about watchin' AND rememberin' the cast of Bonanza introducing the new for 1963 Chevy model line from when I was just 10 years old?!

Okay now, YOU said you always had had a major case of the hots for Lizabeth Scott and so you didn't give a damn what anybody else might say, ANYTHING she was in would be a four-star flick in your book.

(...glad I could help)

;)

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

This coming Sunday's feature looks pretty damn interesting, a BONITA GRANVILLE film I have never heard of!

SUSPENSE 1946

EDIT- THIS CLIP IS OF BELITA AND NOT MISS GRANVILLE

I haven't seen this Monogram film either.     

Poster of the movie Suspense.jpg

• Thanks 1