Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

PALLETTE was (according to a couple things I've read) a HUGE RACIST and WHITE NATIONALIST. He went nuts sometime in the mid-forties and built some kind of a DOOMSDAY BUNKER, which made the news.

Yes, I remember reading something about that.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I had forgotten about THE GANGSTER- which was sort of fun in its arty, stagebound, DAMON RUNYONESQUE way.

BARRY SULLIVAN is one of those actors that you forget was "in things."

Or that you confuse with WENDELL COREY.

In regards to both Barry Sullivan and Wendell Corey usually being cast as the second male lead in so many of the films they were in and usually opposite and thus overshadowed by an A-list actor, I'd say your comment would be true here, Lorna.

(...however, I have to say that Barry Sullivan looks-wise always reminded me of Lee Van Cleef quite a bit, another actor who also never made A-list status)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I don't think so. He showed another Monogram with Barry Sullivan and Belita called The Gangster.

Yep, I mentioned this last night in my post to Arturo.

51 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

PALLETTE was (according to a couple things I've read) a HUGE RACIST and WHITE NATIONALIST. He went nuts sometime in the mid-forties and built some kind of a DOOMSDAY BUNKER, which made the news.

And word is Walter Brennan greatly enjoyed the times he spent up there with Eugene in his little Idaho bunker too.

(...they had SO much to agree about during their little chats, ya know)  ;)

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I had forgotten about THE GANGSTER- which was sort of fun in its arty, stagebound, DAMON RUNYONESQUE way.

BARRY SULLIVAN is one of those actors that you forget was "in things."

Or that you confuse with WENDELL COREY.

Never confused Sullivan with Wendell Corey.

However, I've often got Sullivan mixed up with  WARREN STEVENS.  ;) 

Sepiatone

39 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And word is Walter Brennan greatly enjoyed the times he spent up there with Eugene in his little Idaho bunker too.

(...they had SO much to agree about during their little chats, ya know)  ;)

No doubt they would’ve been the James Woods and Jon Voight of their day!

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

No doubt they would’ve been the James Woods and Jon Voight of their day!

LOL

But who'd be the Ward Bond of today???

(...Central Casting is calling)

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yes. He was convinced that the atomic bomb was going to blow up the world.  He built a huge fortress on 3500 acres of land in Imnaha, OR. He stocked the fortress with cattle, food, a canning plant, and a lumber mill.  Man Pallette didn't mess around.  He was all-in on protecting himself from the bomb.   However, he unloaded the fortress after a couple years and moved back to LA when the world annihilation didn't materialize.

I've never heard of Imnaha, OR.  I looked it up on a map and it's a tiny town (so small that apparently its population isn't even reported) in Eastern Oregon near the Idaho border. It's near Hells Canyon and Snake River.  I've been to Hells Canyon and Snake River... Maybe I was in Imnaha and didn't even know it. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes. He was convinced that the atomic bomb was going to blow up the world.  He built a huge fortress on 3500 acres of land in Imnaha, OR. He stocked the fortress with cattle, food, a canning plant, and a lumber mill.  Man Pallette didn't mess around.  He was all-in on protecting himself from the bomb.   However, he unloaded the fortress after a couple years and moved back to LA when the world annihilation didn't materialize.

I've never heard of Imnaha, OR.  I looked it up on a map and it's a tiny town (so small that apparently its population isn't even reported) in Eastern Oregon near the Idaho border. It's near Hells Canyon and Snake River.  I've been to Hells Canyon and Snake River... Maybe I was in Imnaha and didn't even know it. 

THANK YOU!  That is genuinely fascinating. Rural Oregon, Idaho, Washington State, Vancouver and the mountains of Appalachia are interesting to me because they are places of such extreme beauty that’re pocketed with SOME REAL NUTJOBS!!! Seems to me as if the populace is split right down the middle, you’re either far left or far right- not many middle of the road types. 

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Actually speedy, in a way I don't blame Pallette for his mindset.

You see, being a native Angeleno and growing up there during the height of the Cold War, it was commonly believed at the time that when those nasty ol' Ruskies started droppin' A-bombs on the U.S., Los Angeles being the hub of aircraft manufacturing in the U.S. at the time, we poor snooks in L.A. would be the very first to be obliterated by 'em.

(...in fact, I remember one family who lived right down the street from us, having a fallout shelter being dug out in their backyard)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THANK YOU!  That is genuinely fascinating. Rural Oregon, Idaho, Washington State, Vancouver and the mountains of Appalachia are interesting to me because they are places of such extreme beauty that’re pocketed with SOME REAL NUTJOBS!!! Seems to me as if the populace is split right down the middle, you’re either far left or far right- not many middle of the road types. 

I can't speak about Idaho--though the people in the metropolis of Boise seem fine.   Vancouver (not sure if you're talking about Vancouver, WA or Vancouver, BC... neither seem nutty to me.  Vancouver, WA is really just Portland on the other side of the river).  But I can say that all the nuts in Oregon seem to live in Eastern Oregon.  Maybe it's because there's nothing to do over there--unless you're into cows.  The best parts of Oregon are definitely west of the Cascades--The beach, Portland, the Willamette Valley, Southern Oregon...the highlights of Oregon.   The only exceptions to this are Bend and Crater Lake which are on the other side of the mountains, but seem to be nutjob free. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Actually speedy, in a way I don't blame Pallette for his mindset.

You see, being a native Angeleno and growing up there during the height of the Cold War, it was commonly believed at the time that when those nasty ol' Ruskies started downin' A-bombs on the U.S., Los Angeles being the hub of aircraft manufacturing in the U.S. at the time, we poor snooks in L.A. would be the very first to be obliterated by 'em.

(...in fact, I remember one family who lived right down the street from us, having a fallout shelter being dug out in their backyard)

That does make sense.  

This isn't related to Classic Film, but in the 1999 film, Blast From the Past, Christopher Walken and Sissy Spacek live in LA somewhere in a ranch house in 1962.  Walken is so certain that the Russians are going to bomb LA, that he builds an entire replica of their house underground--a very fancy bomb shelter.  He's got enough food and supplies down there to last like 35 years.  They go down there after hearing what they thought was a bomb (but it was actually a plane crashing in their neighborhood) and proceed to spend most of the 60s, 70s, 80s, and part of the 90s underground. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
27 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I can't speak about Idaho--though the people in the metropolis of Boise seem fine.   Vancouver (not sure if you're talking about Vancouver, WA or Vancouver, BC... neither seem nutty to me.  Vancouver, WA is really just Portland on the other side of the river).  But I can say that all the nuts in Oregon seem to live in Eastern Oregon.  Maybe it's because there's nothing to do over there--unless you're into cows.  The best parts of Oregon are definitely west of the Cascades--The beach, Portland, the Willamette Valley, Southern Oregon...the highlights of Oregon.   The only exceptions to this are Bend and Crater Lake which are on the other side of the mountain, but seem to be nutjob free. 

Yeah, but then AGAIN here speedy, maybe the reason all the nutjobs live in EASTERN Oregon is because of the lack of consistent rain and drizzle in their part of your state.  ;)

But then again I suppose it could be as you said here. They're farther from the ocean.

(...and I do have to admit that it does seem that most of the nutjobs throughout this great country of ours DO appear to live further away from vast bodies of water more than just a four or five hour drive, huh...and a place I've heard is often referred to as "The Heartland") 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, ElCid said:

I think others have covered highlights of Bonita Granville's career.  Surprised you "don't even know who Bonita Granville was."  As I noted earlier, her Nancy Drew movies are ones that my wife and I frequently watch.  Fairly short and very entertaining.  Too bad she did not make more.

She also had a major role in Hitler's Children (1943) which sometimes shows up on TCM.

I wonder how much her height (5'0") held her back.

Never watched the Nany Drew movies and I don't like Bette Davis all that much either, except for Beyond the Forest, and her two 60s films What Ever Happened to Baby Jane and Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte

P.S. I didn't even spell Bette Davis name right, lol shows you how much I  know about her. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
15 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

That does make sense.  

This isn't related to Classic Film, but in the 1999 film, Blast From the Past, Christopher Walken and Sissy Spacek live in LA somewhere in a ranch house in 1962.  Walken is so certain that the Russians are going to bomb LA, that he builds an entire replica of their house underground--a very fancy bomb shelter.  He's got enough food and supplies down there to last like 35 years.  They go down there after hearing what they thought was a bomb (but it was actually a plane crashing in their neighborhood) and proceed to spend most of the 60s, 70s, 80s, and part of the 90s underground. 

Yeah, I vaguely remember this movie. Never watched it, though.

It seemed to have a funny premise, and its casting of Walken sounded perfect.

(...maybe I'll seek it out sometime in the future)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Never confused Sullivan with Wendell Corey.

However, I've often got Sullivan mixed up with  WARREN STEVENS.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Yeah, I can kind'a see this too.

And, with Stevens' career also taking a very similar course to Sullivan's.

(...both of which starting out on the big screen, but then primarily becoming seen in  television roles during the same era)

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Never watched the Nancy Drew movies and I don't like Bette Davis all that much either, except for Beyond the Forest,

1. BEYOND THE FOREST is INCREDIBLE.

2. Not even THE LETTER tho? Or THE LITTLE FOXES?

3. You're missing out on THE NANCY DREW movies, seriously, if you have a DARK SENSE OF HUMOR they are a GOLD MINE OF COMEDY

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

2. Not even THE LETTER tho? 

OK, The Letter yes  a Noir also, lol.  Forgot about that one.  For me,  I'm just  not going seek out Nany Drew when there are too many forgotten  Noir to discover from here and around the world and not enough time to watch them. 

• Thanks 1

I keep trying to find a good clip of BONITA GRANVILLE in THESE THREE to post here, but they are all poor quality.

SPOILER IN RE: SUSPENSE (1946)

Literally, the ONLY reason for her character to exist in SUSPENSE is so she can shoot him in the end. I thought when she showed up, some kind of GLORIA GRAHAME like machinations were gonna emerge, but NOPE.

It would have made a lot more sense if her character had been a SHOWBIZ URCHIN of some sort- like daughter of the ICE CAPADES lighting guy or seamstress who BARRY seduces and uses and throws aside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

OK, The Letter yes  a Noir also, lol.  Forgot about that one.  For me,  I'm just  not going seek out Nany Drew when there are too many forgotten  Noir to discover from here and around the world and not enough time to watch them. 

THE LITTLE FOXES totters on the brink of NOIR.

• Like 1