Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yeah, a lot of dissatisfied customers exiting the movie. Dors was always properly dressed and very demure looking as I remember. It wasnt a sex bomb part, though she did  have that sexy vibe even back then.......

On 2/9/2017 at 11:04 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

used to they always showed a noir on Saturday mornings on TCM...and usually a really good one. they stopped around the time they brought on the serials...

Glad they're giving Eddie something to do, but i have to wonder by now if someone is working to keep him out of prime time....

He is on all the time in primo time on the wine ads.

• Haha 1
On 1/17/2018 at 3:12 PM, Hibi said:

Was hoping for some information on Faith Domergue. But with Mitchum's son there, all they talked about was Mitchum!!!

I had a similar reaction to the presentation for The Postman Always Rings Twice, in which John Garfield's daughter Julie was the guest and the discussion was primarily about John's acting methods.  I think TCM/Eddie are to be commended for having guests on the Noir Alley intros, but I also enjoy Eddie's discussion of the background of the making of the film and the other actors, so it's too bad there isn't enough time to do both.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

I had a similar reaction to the presentation for The Postman Always Rings Twice, in which John Garfield's daughter Julie was the guest and the discussion was primarily about John's acting methods.  I think TCM/Eddie are to be commended for having guests on the Noir Alley intros, but I also enjoy Eddie's discussion of the background of the making of the film and the other actors, so it's too bad there isn't enough time to do both.

I agree.  I watch the intros mostly to find out about the movie itself and something interesting about the actors as it pertains to the movie.  Or something special about the movie.   There is already a ton of information about actors such as Mitchum and Garfield.  Also having their relatives discuss them is too biased for me.  Not looking for dirt, but objectivity.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY (1951) this morning, Eddie (as always) gave it a good sell...although I quibble with his assertion that the second act followed GUN CRAZY to a suspiciously high degree...Eddie, I love you, but it didn't.

Now, if Steve Cochran and Ruth Roman had been casing the lettuce-picking operation in Salinas that they get jobs with in the second half and then knocked it over on payroll day in a balletic heist scene, I could maybe say okay- but as it was? Nah.

It was an uneven, rambling film- well-meaning but heavy handed, but interesting and well-acted (and i'm glad i watched it)

i also have to disagree with Herr Mueller's assertion that the film held no revelations for the viewer because:

1. I did not know you could say the word "pregnant" in a film in 1951

and

2. Steve Cochran was really good in this, he says a lot with his eyes and he seems to relish playing a character who has been in jail for 18 years since he was 13 years old. I'd never seen such a thoughtful, intelligent performance from him. apparently, this film was something of a hand-me-down from JOHN GARFIELD- it's tailor-made for him down to the slightly florid title...but i was glad to see Cochran in the role, he gave it an electricity and a youth that I don't think Garfield could have at that stage of his life....a physicality too.

00452839_medium.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I checked out TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY ....

2. Steve Cochran was really good in this, he says a lot with his eyes and he seems to relish playing a character who has been in jail for 18 years since he was 13 years old. I'd never seen such a thoughtful, intelligent performance from him. apparently, this film was something of a hand-me-down from JOHN GARFIELD- it's tailor-made for him down to the slightly florid title...but i was glad to see Cochran in the role, he gave it an electricity and a youth that I don't think Garfield could have at that stage of his life....a physicality too.

00452839_medium.jpg

I'll say ! What a hunk ! I'd forgotten Steve was kind of on the gorgeous side. You don't notice it so much in, say, "White Heat".

I agree, Lorna, I too was surprised when Ruth actually said the word "pregnant".I thought she was going to tell Steve she was "going to have a baby". That's how they usually said it back then.

I really liked "Tomorrow Is Another Day". I thought the love story was kind of sweet -well, half and half, pure noir in the first half, domestic bliss in the lettuce-picking shack in the second. I thought Ruth Roman was kind of good in this, she did a good job of turning from hard-boiled been-around-the-block a few times dance hall girl to loving devoted wife in the course of half an hour. I think it had something to do with when she changed her hair colour...

And  unlike Eddie, I didn't mind the happy ending. I was actually really rooting for these two, and glad when it all came out roses in the end. Sometimes noirs need to end with the hero's death, but this time I'm glad they gave him a break.("they" being the producers or whoever decides these things.)

Costume note: I thought the scenes where Steve and Ruth were on the lam, hopping train cars etc, was kind of fun. And what about those dungerees? cuffs and all ! And then Ruth went all domestic and started wearing print dresses and making curtains.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Actually, Muller compared the second half of Tomorrow Is Another Day to Shockproof, not Gun Crazy.

REALLY?!

oooooooooooooookay. Now it makes more sense, although I’ve never seen SHOCKPROOF...I must’ve misunderstood the phrasing in the intro, thank you for the correction.

I checked out TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY (1951) this morning, Eddie (as always) gave it a good sell...although I quibble with his assertion that the second act followed GUN CRAZY to a suspiciously high degree...Eddie, I love you, but it didn't.

Now, if Steve Cochran and Ruth Roman had been casing the lettuce-picking operation in Salinas that they get jobs with in the second half and then knocked it over on payroll day in a balletic heist scene, I could maybe say okay- but as it was? Nah.

It was an uneven, rambling film- well-meaning but heavy handed, but interesting and well-acted (and i'm glad i watched it)

i also have to disagree with Herr Mueller's assertion that the film held no revelations for the viewer because:

1. I did not know you could say the word "pregnant" in a film in 1951

and

00452839_medium.jpg

Couldn't have said it better myself. All of it. Spot on review. 

I too was a bit taken aback when she said the word "pregnant".

I'm glad I watched too. I think Steve Cochran is a dreamboat.

• Like 2

I enjoyed Mueller's comments, although I too think he went overboard in his praise of the movie.  But, then he tends to do this since I assume he is somewhat invested in the choices.  Sorry, Eddie.

Glad I watched and can check it off my list, but not one I will watch again.

Ruth Roman did change her character pretty quickly didn't she?  A little too quickly, but then it was only a 90 minute "B" movie.  As for Cochran, not terribly impressed.  He did a fair job, but somehow he would switch from "too good" to "too bad" too quickly.

As for the series, I like it but it does seem that Muller finds some really obscure movies that are mediocre to show.  Maybe that is the purpose?

1 hour ago, ChristineHoard said:

He's a dreamboat, for sure.  Thanks for the pix of a shirtless Steve Cochran.  Perfect!

look up his death on Wikipedia- you and Janet and Miss W- and then tell me whether your  mutual use of the term “dreamboat”  doesn’t have a more sinister  meaning after learning about the details.....MWAHAHAHAHA

eddie  May have brought it up in his ending discussion of the film, but I missed it

8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

look up his death on Wikipedia- you and Janet and Miss W- and then tell me whether your  mutual use of the term “dreamboat”  doesn’t have a more sinister  meaning after learning about the details.....MWAHAHAHAHA

eddie  May have brought it up in his ending discussion of the film, but I missed it

I looked it up and, yes, the word "dreamboat" takes on a different connotation.  I had no idea.  Sadly, many of my movie heroes are tarnished as human beings - especially the "hotties."  :(

Still a great looking guy, though.

21 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

He did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, his mysterious death was brought up after the film. What a man.

• Like 1
On 1/10/2018 at 2:22 PM, RipMurdock said:

He is on all the time in primo time on the wine ads.

Ha, ha oh my God, the Wine Club and the Backlot ads. Hey, I rarely watch TCM in the daytime. Are they as prevalent then, too? Because in primetime, holy cow, there is an ad for one or the other the last thing they show before every movie. I mean EVERY movie!

Does anyone remember back in the Robert Osborne days when a movie would end, he'd do his outro, and then they would IMMEDIATELY start the next movie? I always felt like a little bonus win when that happened. In primetime now, there will ALWAYS be an ad for Wine Club or Backlot before a new movie starts. .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ha, ha oh my God, the Wine Club and the Backlot ads. Hey, I rarely watch TCM in the daytime. Are they as prevalent then, too? Because in primetime, holy cow, there is an ad for one or the other the last thing they show before every movie. I mean EVERY movie!

they're really getting out of control and i resent them more and more each time i see them.

i know TCM brags about the fact that they don't care about how many people are watching or the (admittedly bygone) importance of ratings, but there have been innumerable instances where i have simply turned off the tv or gone on to something else because i could not stand to watch another backlot/wine promo.

• Like 2