Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

8 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

Wasn't there a reward? I assumed that was part of the motivation for turning them in to the police. 

Actually, that was the ONLY motivation for Tuttle turning them in, Hoganman.

(...and 'cause it's made clear that Tuttle actually likes the two, and then later is shown feeling very guilty and ashamed for doing it)

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

Wasn't there a reward? I assumed that was part of the motivation for turning them in to the police. 

Yes, the reward was Lurene Tuttle's entire reason for turning Cochran in. We still don't know, though, just how well any operation went for her husband. I guess we are supposed to assume that all went well with the reward money for top surgery. The reality is, though, I suspect most viewers at the end probably aren't giving it a lot of thought so the filmmakers felt free to just let it go.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Yes, the reward was Lurene Tuttle's entire reason for turning Cochran in. We still don't know, though, just how well any operation went for her husband. I guess we are supposed to assume that all went well with the reward money for top surgery. The reality is, though, I suspect most viewers at the end probably aren't giving it a lot of thought so the filmmakers felt free to just let it go.

Actually Tom, I think I know what ends up happening to Teal here.

After recouperating, he ends up walking through some kind of time warp and finds himself being the sheriff of a small Nevada old west town just east of Lake Tahoe.

(...and which was certainly a perferrable fate to his being punched into a large glass department store display case in Boone City right after WWII)

20 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

For those who would like to compare, here is Eddie’s introduction from January 2018 for Tomorrow is Another Day (1951):

And the wrap-up:

(These are not my videos, so thanks to the original posters.)

I didn't see the Mueller's intro but the wrap-up was identical to the wrap from two years ago.

16 hours ago, TomJH said:

For those who enjoyed Steve Cochran's performance in Tomorrow Is Another Day, for an idea of the actor's versatility, he reverts back to gangster killer form in Highway 301, a 1950 Warner Brothers melodrama that TCM occasionally shows. Steve plays the head of the Tri State Gang, a band of bank robbers who strike banks across three states. Cochran looks hunky and brooding in his beautifully tailored suits but his character is deadly for anyone who crosses him.

While the film has a cornball "Crime Does Not Pay" introduction and ending, it is quite an exciting gangster drama, highlighted by Cochran's incredibly casual attitude about shooting people down. One particularly suspenseful sequence involves Cochran looking for his girlfriend who he decides talk too much about the gang's activity.

US Highway 301 used to be a main route from the North to Florida.  Lots of restaurants, motels and so forth along the route in S.C. went bankrupt after I-95 was built.  Most of the smaller towns along the highway also declined dramatically.

On 12/6/2020 at 3:11 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Ruth was pretty good in Tomorrow is Another Day .  The reason I said her casting seemed "an odd choice" was because I have recently viewed  (for about the 10th time )  Strangers on a Train, in which she plays a very different kind of person from that of Cathy /Nicky in Tomorrow is Another  Day.  In the Hitchcock film, as I'm sure you're aware, Ruth plays a very classy young woman, the daughter of a senator  (or something like that.)  She is very elegant and poised.  Whereas in TIAD,  her character is tough and world weary.  Of course she changes as the movie's narrative progresses, but still, she's very different from the upper-crusty Anne Morton in Strangers.

I haven't actually seen her in much else.

She was good in another noirish film with Richard Todd from this time period, but the title escapes me. She did a lot of westerns in the 50s that I haven't seen (because I don't really like watching them).

I think it was called Lightning Strikes Twice or something like that.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

RUTH ROMAN is also among the cast of BEYOND THE FOREST (1949) OR SHOULD I SAY, she's among the SURVIVORS...

coincidentally, she survived a later literal shipwreck when she was aboard the LUXURY LINER The SS Andrea Doria when it struck a freighter, capsized and sank off Nantucket (I think.)

Yes, that's right! She was one of the passengers, and I think had her kid with her.

19 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I forgot about that.   So yea even if one says the clock starts at the time of his death,   they were in the state of NY or NJ (where the brother lived) when they went on the run and headed west.      Funny but what stood out the most for me in that scene was Lee Patrick (who was just featured a few hours before in The Maltese Falcon),  being the sister-in-law from hell!     

Anyhow,  I was just trying to find some "out" here for the screenwriter.    Guess there isn't one.

I didn't realize Lee Patrick played that shrew. I didnt recognize her in the longshots........

19 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Well, sure, I'm not arguing that point.  I was just explaining that I hadn't seen her in much else besides "Strangers On a Train", in which, as I said, she's like the polar -opposite of her character in "Tomorrow is Another Day".

But someone here mentioned  (sorry,  I forget who) that she was also in another noir ,  "The Window".  And yes,  I have seen that a couple of times, and it's good, and Ruth is very effective in it.

She was good in Champion as well with Kirk Douglas.

19 hours ago, ElCid said:

Ah yes, suicide doors, to be re-introduced in the 1960's Lincolns.   I thought it interesting that the keys were not tagged so that Roman had to try every key on the ring before finding the right one.  Of course this may have been done to add to the suspense of trying to hide before the driver comes out.  Interesting that the driver got up from counter and headed toward diner door but actually went to the jukebox.  Then he later came out and headed for the truck, but went around the corner to the restroom.

All did to heighten the suspense! That sequence was really filmed well.

18 hours ago, ElCid said:

Ironically I caught the last 15 minutes of an Untouchables episode with Ruth Roman this afternoon.  Apparently she was a narcotics dealer who killed her husband to go into business with Frank Nitti.  Then later she killed one of her drivers because he would not kill a woman she wanted dead.

Now that's mean! LOL.

16 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Yeah, one assumes the reward paid for the operation......

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

US Highway 301 used to be a main route from the North to Florida.  Lots of restaurants, motels and so forth along the route in S.C. went bankrupt after I-95 was built.  Most of the smaller towns along the highway also declined dramatically.

Yes, I was raised in a small town in central SC, but my mother was from Clermont Florida (near Orlando). We used Hwy 301 every time we went to visit my grandfather in Florida. I vividly remember all the diners, motels and Stuckey's along the way. It was a nine to ten hour trip back then and we usually spent a night in one of those small roadside motels.  In fact in February of 1964 I sat in our car parked outside of our motel room and listened to the first heavyweight fight between then Cassius Clay and Sonny Liston on the car radio.

52 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I didn't realize Lee Patrick played that shrew. I didnt recognize her in the longshots........

I didn't know she was in the film because the other time I saw it I missed that scene.   

But this time I watched it from the start and saw the credits and there was Lee Partick listed.     So I was looking-for-her.

I first recognized the voice since,  as  you note,  she was in the background for much of that scene.

36 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

RuthRomanWavesAtDickie.jpgruthromanholdinghersondickie.jpg

just in case any of you were curious, THESE ARE REAL LIFE PHOTOS of RUTH ROMAN being REUNITED with her young son. They were separted during the sinking of the Luxury Liner Andrea Doria. Pretty interesting story.

WOW. Thanks for those!

1 hour ago, Hoganman1 said:

Yes, I was raised in a small town in central SC, but my mother was from Clermont Florida (near Orlando). We used Hwy 301 every time we went to visit my grandfather in Florida. I vividly remember all the diners, motels and Stuckey's along the way. It was a nine to ten hour trip back then and we usually spent a night in one of those small roadside motels.  In fact in February of 1964 I sat in our car parked outside of our motel room and listened to the first heavyweight fight between then Cassius Clay and Sonny Liston on the car radio.

I remember when I was young we used to drive down to Georgia every few years to visit my dad's brother and his family. 71 wasnt finished then and we'd have to get on, was it 25? or 27? A 2 lane highway. And yes, I remember the diners and touristy places. Am sure most, if not all are gone now after 71 was finished. We'd stop in a motel overnight in TN, then arrive the 2nd day. Then the same deal on the way back. (to northern Ohio). I remember we'd get up before dark and leave (hated that!)

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Hibi said:

WOW. Thanks for those!

no prob, I tried to find newsreel footage but couldn't.

ps- you know if it had been JOAN AND CHRISTINA separated at sea it would have been the FIRST INSTANCE of someone WINNING BEST ACTRESS for APPEARING IN A NEWSREEL. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DIRECTED BY CUKOR WITH WARDROBE BY SHEILA O'BRIEN. 

• Haha 2
25 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I'd forgotten Ruth was in Joe Macbeth, a modern retelling of the Shakespeare play. I saw this once many years ago. Would love to see this again!

it was  WRITTEN by PHILLIP YORDAN, who wrote SUSPENSE! and JOHNNY GUITAR and some off-the-wall ****

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it was  WRITTEN by PHILLIP YORDAN, who wrote SUSPENSE! and JOHNNY GUITAR and some off-the-wall ****

Yes. I checked it out on imdb. Wish TCM would show it. Maybe they have.

3 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

If this is the one that ended in about a minute or less, I remember it.  Four of us high school guys were playing pool at one guys house and listening to the fight.  One guy took a shot and before the balls finished dropping the fight was over.  Or at least seemed that way.

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

I remember when I was young we used to drive down to Georgia every few years to visit my dad's brother and his family. 71 wasnt finished then and we'd have to get on, was it 25? or 27? A 2 lane highway. And yes, I remember the diners and touristy places. Am sure most, if not all are gone now after 71 was finished. We'd stop in a motel overnight in TN, then arrive the 2nd day. Then the same deal on the way back. (to northern Ohio). I remember we'd get up before dark and leave (hated that!)

Probably 25 which was part of the Dixie Highway.  I remember travelling across the South on US 80 for the most part in late 50's and 60's on two lane roads.  Rode from before dark until after sunset.  One irony was that each state had different sized coke bottles so you couldn't trade an empty in on a full one everywhere.

Kids don't know what they are missing.

3 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Which small town?  Probably been there.