Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

36 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Probably 25 which was part of the Dixie Highway.  I remember travelling across the South on US 80 for the most part in late 50's and 60's on two lane roads.  Rode from before dark until after sunset.  One irony was that each state had different sized coke bottles so you couldn't trade an empty in on a full one everywhere.

Kids don't know what they are missing.

Which small town?  Probably been there.

Yes, I'd have to take dramamine (sp?) LIQUID (it tasted awful and I can still remember the taste) because I'd get car sick. Those were the days! LOL

• Like 1

It will be great to see The Burglar on TCM without commercial interruptions.     MOVIES-TV shows the film a lot (just did last night as part of their Sunday Noir series).   I try to make sure I see the Martha Vickers scene where she meets Duryea in a café and later at her home.

Duryea is great and yea,  I agree this is his best work.      I don't recall Muller ever showing the film so I can't wait to hear what he has to say about this noir released near the end of the noir cycle.       

The Burglar (1957): The last b-movie? – filmsnoir.netTHE BURGLAR DVD - 1959 Movie The Burglar - Film Noir Jayne Mansfield -  Burglar

• Like 1

THE BURGLAR is based on either a novel or novella (can't remember which) by DAVID GOODIS,  a Noir writer who is not mentioned in the same breath as HAMMETT, CHANDLER, THOMPSON AND CAIN.

[SPOILER]

And he shouldn't be.

I've read three of his books and was seriously underwhelmed in each case. 

no offense to any of you GOODIS fans.

edit- I see GOODIS wrote the screenplay for THE BURGLAR as well.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, ElCid said:

Probably 25 which was part of the Dixie Highway.  I remember travelling across the South on US 80 for the most part in late 50's and 60's on two lane roads.  Rode from before dark until after sunset.  One irony was that each state had different sized coke bottles so you couldn't trade an empty in on a full one everywhere.

Kids don't know what they are missing.

Which small town?  Probably been there.

My hometown is Winnsboro, SC. It's about 25 miles north of Columbia. It was once a thriving little community built around Uniroyal (formerly U S Rubber) which was the major employer during the 60s. I think the plant is still there but was downsized considerably when Michelin bought Uniroyal. Mack Trucks brought a plant there in the 80s, but that is gone too. I no longer have any family there, but do go back occasionally for high school reunions. It's a shame that so many small towns are dying all across the country.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, ElCid said:

If this is the one that ended in about a minute or less, I remember it.  Four of us high school guys were playing pool at one guys house and listening to the fight.  One guy took a shot and before the balls finished dropping the fight was over.  Or at least seemed that way.

That was the second fight in 1965. Clay had become Muhammed Ali by then. The 1964 fight ended when Liston stayed in his corner at the beginning of round #7.  It really did "shock the world" as Clay exclaimed.  Everyone thought Liston would win easily.  By the time the re-match occurred Liston wasn't in very good shape and Ali knocked him out in round #1. Ali went on to become arguably the greatest heavyweight champion  of all time. Also, he went from being called a loudmouth draft dodger to one of the most beloved athletes  in sports history.

43 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

My hometown is Winnsboro, SC. It's about 25 miles north of Columbia. It was once a thriving little community built around Uniroyal (formerly U S Rubber) which was the major employer during the 60s. I think the plant is still there but was downsized considerably when Michelin bought Uniroyal. Mack Trucks brought a plant there in the 80s, but that is gone too. I no longer have any family there, but do go back occasionally for high school reunions. It's a shame that so many small towns are dying all across the country.  

Been There!!

Drove through it a couple of times going to Columbia/Ft. Jackson.  Also visited with a couple there many, many years ago.  He worked for a paper company in their woodlands division.  Also been there to visit the S.C. Railroad Museum.  You are right about small towns dying.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

...It's a shame that so many small towns are dying all across the country.  

9 hours ago, ElCid said:

...You are right about small towns dying.

Here ya go guys.

Just for you two good ol' boys, I gotcha the perfect song here to help ya reminisce and lament this very thought...

Danny O'keefe ~ Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues (original version) - YouTube

(...and Cid...read the comments section after ya click on this YouTube video, as there's a moving little story posted second from the top by a guy named Bill Johnson who had recently returned from a tour of duty in Vietnam and who has a special memory of this song...think you'd especially like it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Dargo said:

Here ya go guys.

Just for you two good ol' boys, I gotcha the perfect song here to help ya reminisce and lament this very thought...

Danny O'keefe ~ Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues (original version) - YouTube

(...and Cid...read the comments section after ya click on this YouTube video, as there's a moving little story posted second from the top by a guy named Bill Johnson who had recently returned from a tour of duty in Vietnam and who has a special memory of this song...think you'd especially like it)

Thank you.  Don't think I heard that singer before.  The post you referenced was great as well.😊

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Thank you.  Don't think I heard that singer before.  The post you referenced was great as well.😊

I remember that song.  As Dylan once sang "the times; they are a changing".  It is amazing how many comments the video received.  There are a lot of sad  old songs that bring back memories. Rainy Night in Georgia is one I really liked. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

That was the second fight in 1965. Clay had become Muhammed Ali by then. The 1964 fight ended when Liston stayed in his corner at the beginning of round #7.  It really did "shock the world" as Clay exclaimed.  Everyone thought Liston would win easily.  By the time the re-match occurred Liston wasn't in very good shape and Ali knocked him out in round #1. Ali went on to become arguably the greatest heavyweight champion  of all time. Also, he went from being called a loudmouth draft dodger to one of the most beloved athletes  in sports history.

I went to the Ali-Foreman fight on closed circuit TV. I knew Foreman was going to win but I bet on Muhammad, who was my sports hero, and I was going to stick by him no matter what. One of the great evenings of my life as I was shocked to see  Ali shake up the world for a second time in ten years. Years later, after Foreman got over his bitterness from his loss, he and Ali became good friends and Big George has nothing but kind and gracious things to say about Muhammad today, both as a man and fighter.

Speaking of which, why doesn't Noir Alley show any boxing noirs, Body and Soul, Champion, The Set Up? The movies have brought us some powerful dramatics in those films.

The-Set-Up-1949-Review.gif

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I went to the Ali-Foreman fight on closed circuit TV. I knew Foreman was going to win but I bet on Muhammad, who was my sports hero, and I was going to stick by him no matter what. One of the great evenings of my life as I was shocked to see  Ali shake up the world for a second time in ten years. Years later, after Foreman got over his bitterness from his loss, he and Ali became good friends and Big George has nothing but kind and gracious things to say about Muhammad today, both as a man and fighter.

Speaking of which, why doesn't Noir Alley show any boxing noirs, Body and Soul, Champion, The Set Up? The movies have brought us some powerful dramatics in those films.

I do not watch boxing movies.  It is not a sport, it is one of the dumbest things men ever created.  Ranks just above dog fights, dog racing and chicken fighting.  Sorry, but that is how I feel.

And don't say it has anything to do with learning self defense because it does not.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, TomJH said:

The-Set-Up-1949-Review.gif

They showed The Set Up not too long ago......

47 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I do not watch boxing movies.  It is not a sport, it is one of the dumbest things men ever created.  Ranks just above dog fights, dog racing and chicken fighting.  Sorry, but that is how I feel.

And don't say it has anything to do with learning self defense because it does not.

The brutality of the sport will always make it controversial so I understand your viewpoint. However, there have been some exemplary sports legends in the history of the sport whose skill and courage have made them stand apart from others. But it is also an exploitive, cruel sport that does not take care of the vast majority of those who try to make a living in it. There is far too much tragedy associated with the squared ring.

I found Muhammad Ali to be a towering figure whose shadow loomed outside the sport. In 1992 when, with shaky arms, he lit the flame at the Atlanta Olympic cauldron, his courage and "I am a proud Olympian" determination was an inspiration to all those around the world with physical afflictions.

At the same time, if you haven't seen any of the three boxing films I named, I highly recommend you give them a chance because some great drama and performances are contained in them. John Garfield, Robert Ryan and Kirk Douglas all did some of the best work of their careers in them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, ElCid said:

While I respect your opinion of boxing as being brutal and because there's no getting around it, it is, I believe it is a "sport" as it is in fact an athletic endeavor involving two individuals.

(...now on the other had, I've never considered hunting or target shooting a "sport", as there is almost no athleticism involved in that endeavor, save perhaps during an Olympic Pentathlon competition)

I was a huge fan of boxing many decades ago, but have since lost interest. In fact I do not even know who is the current heavyweight champion.  I've seen the boxing movies you recommended and they are very good but I wouldn't put them in the noir category.  

Moving on, MOVIES is showing AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD today. I watched again just to see Ms. Rita. 

I am not a fan of boxing but, being an avid sports watcher for many years, saw some fights on TV (the Olympic matches were often very questionable).  As far as movies, some I've enjoyed but I have no inclination to see any of the Rocky movies (maybe it is because I'm not a fan of Stallone).  I find the negative comments about boxing in the Noir Alley forum rather ironic knowing how Eddie M. has talked about his affinity for noir plus boxing due to his father (was a sports writer I think).

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Don't forget to watch The Burglar this Saturday \ Sunday on Noir Alley.     1957,  Columbia film with Dan Duryea,  Jayne Mansfield and Martha Vickers.  (and of course Eddie Muller).

The Burglar (1957) — The Movie Database (TMDb)

Bet you wish you were Danny boy here, don't ya James. ;)

(...btw, I just noticed after reading her Wiki profile just now that she was only 5'3''...funny, but I always thought she was a lot taller)

• Haha 1

Note that Mickey Shaughnessy is one of the gang in The Burglar.      Since Boxings is a topic here,   Mickey was Golden Groves boxer:  The Golden Gloves is the name given to annual competitions for amateur boxing in the United States, where a small pair of golden boxing gloves[1] are awarded.       While often Mickey plays light hearted character in The Burglar he is rather dark,  giving a fine performance.       

Mickey is best known for Jailhouse Rock,   From Here to Eternity,  Designing Women and How The West Was Won (well everyone was in that film!).

Mickey did another film with one the the "IT" blondes of the era;   Sex Kittens Go to College,  1960,  with Mamie Van Doren.

Mickey Shaughnessy in Jailhouse Rock trailer.jpg