Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

4 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Knowing what the movie is about, I think you'd be smarter to run over a gal like Ann!

Could you see her and Lawrence Tierney being married to each other?  Every day would be like the 4th of July!💣 

Yea,  those two would have been perfectly cast in a 40s \ 50s version of Natural Born Killers.

Just look at that expression Ann is giving and the look on that guy's face.    To paraphrase Rick from Casablanca:  of all the hitchhikers in the world,  I have to stop and pick up this dame!

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, nakano said:

After Irving Thalberg died,Norma Shearer was i would say a 'merry widow' for several years in a  competition with La Crawford it seemed, Well Bette Davis(i think) said the only male star Crawford was not involved at MGM was Lassie ! Lassie was a female though,Bette probably did not know this

I remember reading that George Raft was in love with Norma.  Georgie got around.

Bette too, though of course she wasn't in the same league as Cranberry.

On 12/23/2020 at 3:32 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

YES!

THANK YOU! 
I don’t know why, but since one of the redesigns it’s become kind of tricky posting photos here. Sometimes it doesn’t accept them because it says they’re not the right format. 

Another site that I frequent started to require people to use images server over Secure HTTP about 2 years ago.  Perhaps the TCM forum now requires this after the redesign. It is becoming more common since the major browser maker are tightening up security wherever possible now.

When posting images just look for URLs that start with https://  instead of http://

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hoganman1 said:

I like DETOUR. Obviously it was made on the cheap.  It was, however; very entertaining. My question for all is: (SPOILER ALERT) at the end was the highway patrol arresting Robert or just giving him a ride?

Not knowing how the short story/magazine article ended (I'm guessing the movie was an adaptation of one or the other), I'd say what we see on screen is something that's left to our imagination.  In the strictest sense today, hitchhiking is not legal in most states.  Was it the same way in the 1940's?  I don't know.  I doubt the cops picked up Al Roberts (Tom Neal) out of the goodness of their hearts.  At best, they took him in just to get him off the road for hitchhiking.  At worst, they were able to put 2 and 2 together and put out an APB on him once Vera's body was discovered by the landlord/landlady.  It's sketchy, but that's the nature of many Poverty Row films, as "Detour" begins at the Nevada Diner in Reno, and ends with Neal walking along a lonely stretch of road where the narration intimates he could be in the Bakersfield, California area.  Yet, we don't know how Neal got to South Central California from Reno.  He blew his chance for a lift from the trucker at the diner after he ticked off said trucker for playing the song on the jukebox that reminded him of his relationship with Sue.

1 hour ago, Hoganman1 said:

I like DETOUR. Obviously it was made on the cheap.  It was, however; very entertaining. My question for all is: (SPOILER ALERT) at the end was the highway patrol arresting Robert or just giving him a ride?

I think that was Al imagining himself being arrested by the police for not only Haskell’s murder, but Vera’s as well. 

::spoilers::

I’ve seen “Detour” four times now, and what I’ve been trying to figure out is how Vera dies. Did she strangle herself with the phone cord, or did she just happen to succumb to consumption (as we saw her coughing throughout the film) at that moment when she was wrapped up in the cord? 

23 minutes ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

There is a quick shot of her seen in the mirror strangled on the bed if you blink you miss it.

Did Al inadvertently strangle her when he pulled on the cord?

This whole question of what exactly happens to Vera is one of the weaknesses of the film. Others are the boring opening of the film until Tom Neal gets on the road and the extremely drawn out scene with the telephone and the hotel rooms (I know, it was a low low low budget film). The part of the film from the appearance of Ann Savage until the overlong hotel room scene is very good, however. One of the great noir films? No. Worth seeing? Absolutely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was clear from watching "Detour" that Al doesn't inadvertently strangle her with the phone cord.  He strangles her on purpose, with his hands.  Look at the way he's holding his hands when he tells the story.  "Detour" is the 'unreliable narrator' trope in action.  Al killed the guy in the car as well.

16 minutes ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

Did Al inadvertently strangle her when he pulled on the cord

Yes.

Thank you. That makes more sense than the two scenarios I described earlier. There was no way that Vera could have strangled herself, the cord was too loose. Drunken Vera grabs the phone, wraps herself up in the cord, then passes out on the bed. Al accidentally strangles her when he pulls on the cord. 

Has anyone noticed that Ann Savage’s eyelids flutter in the scene where she’s dead on the bed when Al walks into the room? 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Vidor said:

I thought it was clear from watching "Detour" that Al doesn't inadvertently strangle her with the phone cord.  He strangles her on purpose, with his hands.  Look at the way he's holding his hands when he tells the story.  "Detour" is the 'unreliable narrator' trope in action.  Al killed the guy in the car as well.

Hmm. I hadn’t noticed his hands. I’ll have to give the film another watch with this perspective in mind. 

4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Thank you. That makes more sense than the two scenarios I described earlier. There was no way that Vera could have strangled herself, the cord was too loose. Drunken Vera grabs the phone, wraps herself up in the cord, then passes out on the bed. Al accidentally strangles her when he pulls on the cord. 

Has anyone noticed that Ann Savage’s eyelids flutter in the scene where she’s dead on the bed when Al walks into the room? 

Well, they couldn't do a re-shoot of the scene speedracer5...that would have blown the budget, and Ulmer would have been called on the carpet for it! 😉

• Haha 2

Question:  Why is Detour considered the number one or penultimate Film Noir?  Always thought that Out of the Past was supposed to be that.

This is the 3rdor 4th time I have seen Detour and the quality was much better due to the restoration.  As for the deaths, I take it that Vera wrapped the cord around her neck and Al pulled too hard and strangled her.  It was around her neck.  As for his hands at the beginning I never noticed that, but would think it is how he reimagines it since he couldn't take a cord from the telephone wherever he was to reenact it.  The driver is more confusing.  If asleep, he should have woken up when Al pulled the door open.  I always thought he was already dead.

As already noted, being picked up by patrol does not make any sense at all. 

The car appears to be a 1941 Lincoln Continental.  Very expensive at the time and selling for $25,000 to $60,000 now.  The $1,850 for a used car in 1945 would sound high except that is was a Continental Cabriolet (convertible) and cars of any kind were high priced after the war.  The one below is selling for $55,000.

1941 Lincoln Continental (CC-1416688) for sale in Rogers, Minnesota

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

It was meant to pave the way for DETOUR 2: THE RETURN OF VERA, sadly un-produced.

"Some women are TOO MEAN to DIE!"

• Haha 5

SERIOUSLY, how great would it be for TOM NEAL to turn his back in that scene only to hear "Oh, so you like to STRANGLE PEOPLE WITH TELEPHONE CORDS?"

He turns around,

and there's VERA, cigarette dangling from her purple lips.

"Sorry, baby, you got the wrong number" she says and then commences to  WHIP HIS *** WITH THE RECEIVER.

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Compared to his sordid personal life, Tom Neal had it pretty good in Detour.

Everything was good for him until he got sentenced to prison!  I think I read where Franchot Tone, the guy he put in the hospital 15 years earlier, testified on Neal's behalf at his trial.