Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ha, ha oh my God, the Wine Club and the Backlot ads. Hey, I rarely watch TCM in the daytime. Are they as prevalent then, too? Because in primetime, holy cow, there is an ad for one or the other the last thing they show before every movie. I mean EVERY movie!

Does anyone remember back in the Robert Osborne days when a movie would end, he'd do his outro, and then they would IMMEDIATELY start the next movie? I always felt like a little bonus win when that happened. In primetime now, there will ALWAYS be an ad for Wine Club or Backlot before a new movie starts. .

Actually there has always been time between one movie and the next that had to be filled.  It was unusual for TCM to go from one movie straight to the next because of trying to start them on the half hour or at least the quarter hour.  Usually filled in with news from Hollywood in the good old days, promos for upcoming movies, the mini-bio commentaries or shorts.

It is just that the wine and backlot ads are so prevalent (and irritating) now.  Especially the wine ads.  I think it is interesting that your first order will be 12 bottles of wine.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

. I thought Ruth Roman was kind of good in this, she did a good job of turning from hard-boiled been-around-the-block a few times dance hall girl to loving devoted wife in the course of half an hour. I think it had something to do with when she changed her hair colour...
 

aka, when she took off that wig.

(I love when people in films give themselves full Jose Eber style makeovers in motel and gas station bathrooms. I'm capable of suspending disbelief for all sorts of plot holes and fantasy elements, but this is one thing i snort at)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

aka, when she took off that wig.

(I love when people in films give themselves full Jose Eber style makeovers in motel and gas station bathrooms. I'm capable of suspending disbelief for all sorts of plot holes and fantasy elements, but this is one thing i snort at)

 

YES. LOL!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheCid said:

Actually there has always been time between one movie and the next that had to be filled.  It was unusual for TCM to go from one movie straight to the next because of trying to start them on the half hour or at least the quarter hour.  Usually filled in with news from Hollywood in the good old days, promos for upcoming movies, the mini-bio commentaries or shorts.

It is just that the wine and backlot ads are so prevalent (and irritating) now.  Especially the wine ads.  I think it is interesting that your first order will be 12 bottles of wine.

Yeah, I'm to the point, I switch channels when they come on......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheCid said:

Actually there has always been time between one movie and the next that had to be filled.  It was unusual for TCM to go from one movie straight to the next because of trying to start them on the half hour or at least the quarter hour.  Usually filled in with news from Hollywood in the good old days, promos for upcoming movies, the mini-bio commentaries or shorts.

It is just that the wine and backlot ads are so prevalent (and irritating) now.  Especially the wine ads.  I think it is interesting that your first order will be 12 bottles of wine.

Well, yes, but once in a while, a movie would end at like :58 or :59, Robert would do his remarks, they'd show what the next three movies were going to be, and then they would just cue up the Now Playing opening for the next movie. That's what I meant by "extra win". It didn't happen often, but it did happen. I don't think that will ever happen anymore. They will always leave room for either Wine Club or Backlot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Well, yes, but once in a while, a movie would end at like :58 or :59, Robert would do his remarks, they'd show what the next three movies were going to be, and then they would just cue up the Now Playing opening for the next movie. That's what I meant by "extra win". It didn't happen often, but it did happen. I don't think that will ever happen anymore. They will always leave room for either Wine Club or Backlot.

 

Sadly, yes. I rarely watch what's in between anymore due to those 2 fillers! Plus there are pop ups on this site for that crap!  UGH.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of the in-between sections, did any of you catch the JOE DOAKES parody of Philip Marlowe stories that ran just before TOMORROW IS...?

The guy who played the lead mugged shamelessly (like Jerry Lewis levels of no shame mugging) , but aside from that there were some really funny parts. Especially when THE BIG BOSS  across town sent his “boys” to strongarm a Casino owner over moving in on their chewing gum racket.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the time between movies to use the facilities, or make a cup of coffee or get a glass of water or whatnot.

It's like the intermissions between periods of a hockey game, or worse, halftime in soccer.  (Since soccer has no natural breaks during the halves, halftime is loaded with ads.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I apologize if this seems like kind of a non sequitur, but I think it fits in with our discussion of TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY. 

 Just last night I finished reading Edward Anderson’s 1937 novel THIEVES LIKE US Which was the basis for both the Robert Altman film and the Nic Ray movie THEY LIVE BY NIGHT. It was EXCELLENT, Brilliantly written and rich with detail, and like the very best art, What it says – especially about the disparity of wealth – is every bit as true today as it was then.

Years ago I got a really nice hardback  Library of America  edition that contained SIX complete novels- THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE, I MARRIED A DEAD MAN, THEY SHOOT HORSES DONT THEY?, NIGHTMARE ALLEY, THIEVES and THE BIG CLOCK. 

THIEVES was the ABSOLUTE BEST of the lot. 

Sadly, it was the final novel of the author, who only wrote one other book, In fact I think the only version of THIEVES LIKE US that IS still in print is the one included in this hard back with the other five books. However, it’s a great investment for all fans of noir.

 While I absolutely love the 1949 film THEY LIVE BY NIGHT,  The source novel may be even better. It’s more raw, and violent and has a lot of references to drugs and alcohol that of course they couldn’t bring up in the 1949 film version. 

The ending is also different. (And better)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, what’s sad?

That the guy who wrote it only wrote one other book?

That you haven’t seen the Altman version?

That it was such a non sequitur?

anyways, The book made me madder at the only thing about THEY LIVE BY NIGHT that I don’t like, which is that stupid **** title. That just had to be another one of H. Hughes’ harebrained ideas...In the book, it’s a common saying that the three outlaws have about bankers, lawyers, politicians and others they encounter-  “they’re thieves like us” It’s a motif that occurs throughout the novel, and most prominently in the ending.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

 

anyways, The book made me madder at the only thing about THEY LIVE BY NIGHT that I don’t like, which is that stupid **** title. That just had to be another one of H. Hughes’ harebrained ideas...In the book, it’s a common saying that the three outlaws have about bankers, lawyers, politicians and others they encounter-  “they’re thieves like us” It’s a motif that occurs throughout the novel, and most prominently in the ending.

I've been curious as to how some movie titles got their names, if the picture is an adaptation of a book or short story.  Maybe it was an arrangement between the studios and the author of the original story to avoid confusion between the film and the book, or perhaps it was a way to avoid copyright trouble?

In this particular case, maybe (and I'm probably reaching on this one) Howard Hughes didn't want the title "Thieves Like Us" to cast an unpopular light on politicians who were getting revved up with the House UnAmerican Activities Committee, lest he or anyone else in his circle be called to Washington to testify at those hearings?

Another possible reason could be that "They Live By Night" was released in 1948 by RKO.  Fox released "Thieves Highway" in 1949.  If the Fox picture was in production at the same time and RKO knew about it, they could have opted to change the title from "Thieves Like Us" to avoid confusion with the viewing public?  Like I said, it's probably a stretch on my part, but it's all I got!

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, midwestan said:

another possible reason could be that "They Live By Night" was released in 1948 by RKO.  Fox released "Thieves Highway" in 1949.  If the Fox picture was in production at the same time and RKO knew about it, they could have opted to change the title from "Thieves Like Us" to avoid confusion with the viewing public?  Like I said, it's probably a stretch on my part, but it's all I got!

from the wikipedia entry for the film:

Filming completed in October 1947. Despite an excellent preview, the studio didn't know how to market the film and Howard Hughes's takeover of RKO exacerbated the situation. Hughes shelved the film for two years, before releasing it to a single theater in the UK to enthusiastic reviews (one such rave review came from Gavin Lambert, who eventually became a screenwriter for Ray) and it was finally released in the US in November 1949 under the title They Live by Night, after being changed from Thieves Like Us (the source novel's name), The Twisted Road, I'm a Stranger Here Myself and Your Red Wagon. The title, chosen from an audience poll, was favored by Hughes.

(end citation)

There are many things I think, one that THIEVES LIKE US kinda sounds like it could be the title for a comedy so maybe that is why it was changed so as not to be misleading, two: that YOUR RED WAGON is a monumentally ****y suggestion for a title for this (or any) movie, three: they're lucky Howard Hughes had a lucid enough moment to take the kleenex boxes off his feet and allow this thing to be released period, so heck, I should just quit griping about the title and be grateful the reels aren't sitting in a salt mine out in the Yucca Flats, untouched and unseen for decades.)

(there is also the possibility that they didn't want the PRODUCTION CODE office to get the idea that they were "on the side" of the thieves, which of course, they kinda are...)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

from the wikipedia entry for the film:

Filming completed in October 1947. Despite an excellent preview, the studio didn't know how to market the film and Howard Hughes's takeover of RKO exacerbated the situation. Hughes shelved the film for two years, before releasing it to a single theater in the UK to enthusiastic reviews (one such rave review came from Gavin Lambert, who eventually became a screenwriter for Ray) and it was finally released in the US in November 1949 under the title They Live by Night, after being changed from Thieves Like Us (the source novel's name), The Twisted Road, I'm a Stranger Here Myself and Your Red Wagon. The title, chosen from an audience poll, was favored by Hughes.

(end citation)

There are many things I think, one that THIEVES LIKE US kinda sounds like it could be the title for a comedy so maybe that is why it was changed so as not to be misleading, two: that YOUR RED WAGON is a monumentally ****y suggestion for a title for this (or any) movie, three: they're lucky Howard Hughes had a lucid enough moment to take the kleenex boxes off his feet and allow this thing to be released period, so heck, I should just quit griping about the title and be grateful the reels aren't sitting in a salt mine out in the Yucca Flats, untouched and unseen for decades.)

(there is also the possibility that they didn't want the PRODUCTION CODE office to get the idea that they were "on the side" of the thieves, which of course, they kinda are...)

Your Red Wagon sounds like the name of a Shirley Temple movie or something.  I'm glad they didn't choose I'm a Stranger Here Myself, what a lame title. 

For some reason, the title Thieves Like Us makes me think of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i think the term "that's your little red wagon" used to be used in the same sense as we use "emotional baggage" or "issues" nowadays- ie, it was something you were going to be dragging behind you all your life.

i may be wrong.

Hmm.  I guess that makes sense.  I don't know if that would click for me instantly when I see the title, but I guess that's also not a saying that is in vogue these days.  Isn't there an Alicia Silverstone movie called Emotional Baggage

EDIT: Okay, I looked it up.  Silverstone's movie is Excess Baggage.  Lol.

Edited by speedracer5
Correcting my lack of knowledge of Alicia Silverstone's 1990s film output
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Edited 10 minutes ago by speedracer5
Correcting my lack of knowledge of Alicia Silverstone's 1990s film output

-aka Alicia Silverstone's film output.

Lol.  I do have a special place in my heart for Clueless, The Crush (I don't know why) and the Aerosmith music videos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Wait, what’s sad?

That the guy who wrote it only wrote one other book?

That you haven’t seen the Altman version?

That it was such a non sequitur?

anyways, The book made me madder at the only thing about THEY LIVE BY NIGHT that I don’t like, which is that stupid **** title. That just had to be another one of H. Hughes’ harebrained ideas...In the book, it’s a common saying that the three outlaws have about bankers, lawyers, politicians and others they encounter-  “they’re thieves like us” It’s a motif that occurs throughout the novel, and most prominently in the ending.

Sad that he never wrote another novel.......well, yes, I guess not seeing the Altman version either. (LOL!) Has TCM ever aired it anyone?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like they’ve shown the Altman version of THIEVES on TCM; it’s got Keith Carradine and theY LOVE showing BOUND FOR GLORY...The main reason I have never seen it is that, & please  forgive me because I know she has fans- I CANNOT STAND SHELLEY DUVALL. 

Judge me if you must

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I think they have too, once at least. I'm not sure why I didnt record it, unless no room on the DVR or I forgot. :(

 

But Shelly was SO GREAT in 3 Women! Have you ever seen that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It seems like they’ve shown the Altman version of THIEVES on TCM; it’s got Keith Carradine and theY LOVE showing BOUND FOR GLORY...The main reason I have never seen it is that, & please  forgive me because I know she has fans- I CANNOT STAND SHELLEY DUVALL. 

Judge me if you must

I'm a bit confused by this post. What does Bound for Glory gots to do with it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...