Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 minute ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

Well the Hudson is navigable and has tides all the way up to Albany.

How far up the Hudson is it?

11 minutes ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

120 +- miles, and  Albany is about 150 miles. Remember Henry Hudson thought it was the Northwest Passage.

TRUE! LOL. Thanks.

13 hours ago, Thompson said:

Gunsmoke!! Only Louie (well, some others too) ever showed any effects from the whiskey.  Certainly Miss Kitty and her girls never did.  Another anomaly in the Trapper John bar scene is Ryan pouring himself a shot of Two Roses Bourbon from the bottle which is on the bar.  In Gunsmoke, quite okay, but I don’t think that was allowed in 1959.  I do like the showing of the brand name of whiskey, Two Roses. Brings to mind J.T.S. Brown - Fast Eddy’s drink of choice in The Hustler.

Yeah, Louie drank enough for all the other residents of Dodge, though he was, for the most part, a happy drunk.

Of course Kitty didn't make much money off him as most of his drinks were free. Maybe the bartender gave

Earle a break as he was a regular. It wasn't very polite for Trapper John to interrupt Earle right in the middle of his

boilermaker, leaving the beer behind. Also kind of funny considering how much booze Trapper John and Hawkeye

put away in MASH. 

I'm sure Hudson, NY is not quite as dreary appearing as it was in 1959. It likely has a coffee house

with some kind of punning name, a bakery, and an art gallery where local artists display their

masterworks, just like every small town has nowadays. My mom is from Amsterdam, NY, but

that's a different river. 

Did I miss something? I usually come to this site to discuss film noir. All of a sudden the conversation is about telephone poles, Miss Kitty from GUNSMOKE and whether Hudson NY has changed in sixty years. I guess I had higher expectations for this site. Silly me. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Did I miss something? I usually come to this site to discuss film noir. All of a sudden the conversation is about telephone poles, Miss Kitty from GUNSMOKE and whether Hudson NY has changed in sixty years. I guess I had higher expectations for this site. Silly me. 

Well that what happens when Eddie shows a repeat on Noir Alley;   I'm a big fan of Odds Against Tomorrow,  but I have already made many comments on it.

Those cool phones Cigar Joe posted were also repeats - he had posted them before.    So the only comment I could think of was that after all those decades the area still has a lot of over ground wires.      My area got rid of those over 20 years ago  (mainly to reduce fire risk).

As for Kitty:   in B&W she looked fine but in color, with the over done heavy make-up,   well she doesn't belong in Noir Alley,  but in the Horror thread!

Next week will be interesting. Kubrick is different. How can a movie man make a film like The Killing, turn around and make Dr. Strangelove, and then make huge mistakes like Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut?   Killer’s Kiss is only one hour and seven minutes. That’s enough time for any movie, and certainly enough time for Miss Kitty and Chester to build a telephone pole.

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Thompson said:

Next week will be interesting. Kubrick is different. How can a movie man make a film like The Killing, turn around and make Dr. Strangelove, and then make huge mistakes like Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut?   Killer’s Kiss is only one hour and seven minutes. That’s enough time for any movie, and certainly enough time for Miss Kitty and Chester to build a telephone pole.

Interesting choice for Eddie and Noir Alley.     Haven't seen this Kubrick film.   You make a great point about how Kubrick had his ups and downs.   

KillersKissPoster.jpg

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Interesting choice for Eddie and Noir Alley.     Haven't seen this Kubrick film.   You make a great point about how Kubrick had his ups and downs.   

KillersKissPoster.jpg

You are in for a real treat then, it really shows what you can do with a low budget and lots of guerilla filmmaking, Its one of my favorites.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
10 hours ago, Thompson said:

How can a movie man make a film like The Killing, turn around and make Dr. Strangelove, and then make huge mistakes like Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut?

Obviously you don't see the brilliance in Kubrick's filmmaking, to each his own. Usually a director's early works are pretty obvious & may enlighten you.

9 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

low budget and lots of guerilla filmmaking

Sounds like Hitchcock's M.O. for making PSYCHO '60 which worked perfectly.

11 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

You are in for a real treat then, it really shows what you can do with a low budget and lots of guerilla filmmaking, Its one of my favorites.

TCM shows it occasionally. Glad it's being shown on Noir Alley. Think I saw it for the first time around 10 yrs ago. I think they still use a clip from it on the overnight intros.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

The discussion of Hudson, N. Y. was linked to Odds Against Tomorrow. If you'd read the the thread you'd know that. Didn't realize this thread had a moderator.

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

It's amazing a small town like this would have so many brothels! I imagine they would've declined by the 60s anyway without the raids since attitudes about sex were changing...

• Like 1

What is film noir?  Well, I saw it today on my walk to the liquor store.  Sure enough, the telegraph poles are all over the place, big ol’ wires running from pole to pole, some poles about to fall down, and then it started to rain. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
4 minutes ago, Thompson said:

What is film noir?  Well, I saw it today on my walk to the liquor store.  Sure enough, the telegraph poles are all over the place, big ol’ wires running from pole to pole, some poles about to fall down, and then it started to rain. 

LOL

(...gotta say I like this new guy Thompson here, folks)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, Thompson said:

I’ll tell ya what I don’t like. I don’t like Judy Garland, or that other one Liza Somethingorother, they both have fat arms, Kitty has fat arms too, a bunch of fat armed dames trying to push their weight around and I’m not falling for it.

I hope you're kidding, (and it wasn't funny even if you were)  that's one of the weirdest posts yet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
20 hours ago, Thompson said:

I’ll tell ya what I don’t like. I don’t like Judy Garland, or that other one Liza Somethingorother, they both have fat arms, Kitty has fat arms too, a bunch of fat armed dames trying to push their weight around and I’m not falling for it.

Oh yeah?

*Crosses her big arms over her big chest*

Come here and say that to me, punk.

*Prepares to carve "Big Flora was here" into Thompson's forehead*

• Haha 3
On 3/2/2021 at 9:25 AM, Hibi said:

The discussion of Hudson, N. Y. was linked to Odds Against Tomorrow. If you'd read the the thread you'd know that. Didn't realize this thread had a moderator.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. You can discuss Hudson NY and the telephone poles all you want. I guess if you have to deal with my obsession with the Bogart Tree, I should shut up and go with the flow. 

16 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. You can discuss Hudson NY and the telephone poles all you want. I guess if you have to deal with my obsession with the Bogart Tree, I should shut up and go with the flow. 

Hey,  no problem.    Like I said,  I'm the one that started to get the thread off track with my comment about poles and wires,  and of course you weren't acting like a moderator.

14 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

That's ok. It sounded like you were lecturing us. Sometimes threads branch out into different areas sometimes.

44 minutes ago, Hibi said:

That's ok. It sounded like you were lecturing us. Sometimes threads branch out into different areas sometimes.

Yeah Hogan, just like that Bogart tree at the Riviera Country Club!  ;)

• Haha 1

It’s a fact that very few women are colorblind.  Ida Lupino was, or still is. You always talk about artists in the present tense.  I challenge Polly to a test of the red bandanna in a black and white western. It’s not “oh that might be it, let me guess.”  No, to the colorblind person it’s plain to see which is the red bandanna.  BTW, there are three n’s in bandanna. And my forehead hurts where you carved some gibberish into it.

• Haha 1