Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Hard to believe that a Kubrick film has been discussed for at least a page and there hasn’t been a massive fight yet. 

Well, Killer's Kiss is a lot shorter than some of Kubrick's other films, so it's got that going for it, even for those who may not be fans of it.

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Well, Killer's Kiss is a lot shorter than some of Kubrick's other films, so it's got that going for it, even for those who may not be fans of it.

THE WINDS OF WAR is a lot shorter than some of KUBRICK’s other films. Or at least it feels that way. 

I’M KIDDING! IM KIDDING! 

(I like to kid Stanley, in part because I get the feeling he would absolutely hate it.)

And before anyone gets too mad at me, I think “paths of glory” and “dr strangelove” are near-flawless films, two of the best ever made. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You know what? 

After posting the above, I went ahead and turned on KILLERS KISS on TCM ON DEMAND, It’s been on for I don’t know 30 minutes or so, and I am really, really, really liking it a lot.

Of course I’m also a lifelong aficionado of hairy chests....

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It’s a damn good looking film! 
Filled with period detail. 
why the creepy PHYLLIS DILLER DOLL tied to the lead actress’s bed frame though I wonder...

Yes, I don't know why the creepy doll is there, though perhaps it's supposed to be foreshadowing of the mannequin factory? That's a reach. The doll is too prominent just to be part of the scenery. It's supposed to be a link to Gloria's past? There was a line of dialogue about it that got cut?

And about the exposure of hairy chests: Gay life in the 1970s prominently displayed the glories of the hairy chest. A often-seen bar outfit was tight jeans, white shirt open halfway down to display chest hair, and (optional) a gold chain. It was said that there were toupees of chest hair for those with hairless chests, but I don't know if that is actually true.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, kingrat said:

And about the exposure of hairy chests: Gay life in the 1970s prominently displayed the glories of the hairy chest. A often-seen bar outfit was tight jeans, white shirt open halfway down to display chest hair, and (optional) a gold chain. It was said that there were toupees of chest hair for those with hairless chests, but I don't know if that is actually true.

Sadly, I could not find any images of JAMIE SMITH SHIRTLESS despite the whole combo of internet searches.

Killer%2527s_Kiss-1955-Stanley_Kubrick-f

I BET THIS FILM SAW ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT OF REPEAT BUSINESS IN CERTAIN AREAS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

skkillerskiss.jpg

I did not expect to like this film as much as I did, visually it was so well-done and the length so brief that the shortcomings of the story only presented themselves during THE BALLET SEQUENCE wherein my attention wandered as the female lead starting prattling about her two (three?) sisters and the KISS OF DEATH-like voice narration/story backfill at the end, but again- this film is SO VISUALLY COMPELLING and SHOT and LIT and FRAMED  and is such a delightful time capsule of THE CANYONS OF NEW YORK CITY CIRCA 1954/55 that they truly do not matter nor did the obvious dubbing and foley noise bug me,

IRENE KANE was gorgeous, the male lead wasn't bad, but I wondered- while watching it- if maybe this film was the one where STANLEY'S obsessive desire to force actors to do multiple takes began.

The music was great, but I wish the near-entire film had been scored.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, kingrat said:

Yes, I don't know why the creepy doll is there, though perhaps it's supposed to be foreshadowing of the mannequin factory? That's a reach. The doll is too prominent just to be part of the scenery. It's supposed to be a link to Gloria's past? There was a line of dialogue about it that got cut?

LMREO! Chest toupees?

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

skkillerskiss.jpg

I did not expect to like this film as much as I did, visually it was so well-done and the length so brief that the shortcomings of the story only presented themselves during THE BALLET SEQUENCE wherein my attention wandered as the female lead starting prattling about her two (three?) sisters and the KISS OF DEATH-like voice narration/story backfill at the end, but again- this film is SO VISUALLY COMPELLING and SHOT and LIT and FRAMED  and is such a delightful time capsule of THE CANYONS OF NEW YORK CITY CIRCA 1954/55 that they truly do not matter nor did the obvious dubbing and foley noise bug me,

IRENE KANE was gorgeous, the male lead wasn't bad, but I wondered- while watching it- if maybe this film was the one where STANLEY'S obsessive desire to force actors to do multiple takes began.

The music was great, but I wish the near-entire film had been scored.

I thought she was striking also. Too bad her acting career didnt pan out that well. But she did do other things per Eddie.

33 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I thought she was striking also. Too bad her acting career didnt pan out that well. But she did do other things per Eddie.

I vaguely recall EDDIE alluding that she wasn't really all that interested in pursuing one.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I vaguely recall EDDIE alluding that she wasn't really all that interested in pursuing one.

Can't really remember now.

it was perfect that IRENE KANE was a model. i say this as a compliment, there were parts of KILLER'S KISS that played like a PERFUME COMMERCIAL.

(in a whisper)

"Killer's Kiss, the scent to lure the prey..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it was perfect that IRENE KANE was a model. i say this as a compliment, there were parts of KILLER'S KISS that played like a PERFUME COMMERCIAL.

(in a whisper)

"Killer's Kiss, the scent to lure the prey..."

Good point, Lorna. 

There is an ethereal (for want of a better word) feel to both this Kubrick film and many modern perfume TV commercials, isn't there.

• Like 1