Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Good point, Lorna. 

There is an ethereal (for want of a better word) feel to both this Kubrick film and many modern perfume TV commercials, isn't there.

KILLER'S KISS would make a good double bill with CARNIVAL OF SOULS,( although it's a better film than CARNIVAL. )

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

KILLER'S KISS would make a good double bill with CARNIVAL OF SOULS,( although it's a better film than CARNIVAL. )

Actually, I've always thought Carnival of Souls would be a good double bill with David Lynch's Mulholland Drive.

(...but I see what ya mean here)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The film stays with you that’s for sure.  There’s that angsty feeling that sort of settles in later.  Forget the revised ending of course.  Gloria never showed up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thompson said:

The film stays with you that’s for sure.  There’s that angsty feeling that sort of settles in later.  Forget the revised ending of course.  Gloria never showed up.

To be Honest, the fact that she DID show at the station at the end was more Film Noir than anything. 

I got the feeling OUR HERO was  gonna fall down a flight of stairs, several times in fact, within 2 years of their marriage. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A favorite for its time capsule to the Manhattan I remember as a kid in the 1950s , and there were still Taxi Dance joints in Times Square in the 1960s when Times Square was my after school playground. I went up a stairs like in the film to go to the Majestic Ballroom right next to a Playland Amusement Arcade, on 7th Ave they were all in the same building that housed The Latin Quarter.

X5IjYMO.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I enjoyed the scenes outside in Times Square. You could see brief glimpses of some movie marquees. The State; Astor: Globe etc. Most long gone. I think the Globe is now the Lunt-Fontanne with the entrance back on the side street.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

A favorite for its time capsule to the Manhattan I remember as a kid in the 1950s , and there were still Taxi Dance joints in Times Square in the 1960s when Times Square was my after school playground. I went up a stairs like in the film to go to the Majestic Ballroom right next to a Playland Amusement Arcade, on 7th Ave they were all in the same building that housed The Latin Quarter.

X5IjYMO.jpg

When did the Latin Quarter close, late 60s? I know they made a movie theater out of it. Cine Lido or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I enjoyed the scenes outside in Times Square. You could see brief glimpses of some movie marquees. The State; Astor: Globe etc. Most long gone. I think the Globe is now the Lunt-Fontanne with the entrance back on the side street.

Two shots from the TIMES SQUARE MONTAGE in KILLER'S KISS are still fresh in my mind- both of DRUGSTORE WINDOWS [or possibly an AUTOMAT in the case of the latter]- one is of a wind-up toy swimmer swimming in a plastic bin filled with water; the other is three revolving tiers of ICE CREAM SUNDAES, which I had to assume were rubber and plaster mock-ups, but DAMN they looked good.

(

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i can find an image of THE PHYLLIS DILLER DOLL, but not the SUNDAE WHEEL.

Killer%2527s_Kiss-1955-Stanley_Kubrick-f

(AKA EXHIBIT B IN MY CASE THAT OUR PUNCH-DRUNK HERO IS GOING TO TAKE SEVERAL FALLS DOWN SEVERAL FLIGHTS OF STAIRS SOMETIME SOON AFTER MARRYING MISS DIME-A-DANCE. IF YOU GO OVER TO SOMEONE'S APARTMENT AND YOU SEE THIS, YOU SAY YOU FORGOT YOUR PHONE IN THE CAR AND YOU RUN LIKE THE DEVIL IS AFTER YOU [BECAUSE HE JUST MIGHT BE!]. )

ETA- SERIOUSLY, WHO DOES THIS? WHO SLEEPS UNDER SOMETHING LIKE THIS?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it's SO AWFUL NOW!!!!

Yeah, I've seen pictures. Very touristy. They tore down most of the old movie palaces.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Times Square from the late 1960s and early 1970s, still a bit on the seedy side.

A couple of porno theaters. There was also a strip club that left its doors open and there

were always a few guys trying to peek in and see the action. In Killer's Kiss there was also

a sign for the Grand Union supermarket, I think that was the one. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

First time for me in Times Square:

It was 1972. I was 20 y/o and had just started working for TWA and so decided to take my first non-rev (free) flight from my stomping grounds of L.A. to see the sights of The Big Apple.

Arrived in JFK on a nonstop from LAX and got on a bus headed to Midtown. As soon as I got off the bus and started walking around Times Square, I remember Harry Nilsson's 'Everybody's Talkin' (at me)' kept rattling around inside my head...and for obvious reasons. 

(...and no, if you're wonderin', I wasn't sportin' a cowboy hat, but I do remember feeling much like how Jon Voight seemed to feel in this movie once he arrived there too)

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Endings.  Next up for Kubrick, The Killing.  Dargo made a good point about Sterling Hayden’s somewhat stilted delivery of dialogue.  I challenge the memory of his last line — what did he say when the cops nabbed him at the airport exit?  Likewise,  in Strangelove, what did Peter Sellers say when he rose from his chair and did that weird Hitler salute  at the very end of the movie?   Nobody knows.  It’s like a Bob Dylan song from his prime, the words don’t really matter.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Thompson said:

Endings.  Next up for Kubrick, The Killing.  Dargo made a good point about Sterling Hayden’s somewhat stilted delivery of dialogue.  I challenge the memory of his last line — what did he say when the cops nabbed him at the airport exit?  Likewise,  in Strangelove, what did Peter Sellers say when he rose from his chair and did that weird Hitler salute  at the very end of the movie?   Nobody knows.  It’s like a Bob Dylan song from his prime — it just sounds good, it doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

 

If I recall correctly here Thompson, Hayden's last lines in The Killing were, "Mein Fuhrer! I can walk...to the patrol car", and Sellers' last line in Strangelove was, "Eeh, what's the difference...we're all gonna die anyway once the bombs start dropping."

(...wait...sorry...I think I mixed those up somehow...never mind)  ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

THAT’S IT!  “What’s the difference.”  I was searching for that.  The greatest ending line of all time — “What’s the difference.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Thompson said:

THAT’S IT!  “What’s the difference.”  I was searching for that.  The greatest ending line of all time — “What’s the difference.”

Well, MAYBE not quite as great as say, "Well, nobody's perfect" or maybe "Louis, this looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship", or maybe even "T'was beauty that killed the beast", BUT it's certainly a good one anyway, Thompson ol' boy!  ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thompson said:

Going where the weather suits my clothes.

AND, the funny thing about your quote of Nilsson's lyrics here Thompson is that I remember the aforementioned first time I ever visited NYC when I was that young man of 20, and with that visit taking place during a winter month, I remember freezing my butt off much of the time as I walked around Times Square and other parts of NYC, and because being a Californian, I didn't bring nor even own at the time warm enough clothing for it.

(...all I had was a corduroy sportcoat, as I recall)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have had that cowboy hat on Dargo.  Can you still feel the cold?  The brain does not remember pain, I’m almost positive of that.  It remembers it was in pain but not the actual pain itself.  Likewise, the brain only feels one pain at a time.  Got a sore muscle? Just get a proper toothache and the muscle pain is gone.  The brain, however, does remember pleasure.  It wants more and more of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thompson said:

Should have had that cowboy hat on Dargo.  Can you still feel the cold?  The brain does not remember pain, I’m almost positive of that.  It remembers it was in pain but not the actual pain itself.  Likewise, the brain only feels one pain at a time.  Got a sore muscle? Just get a proper toothache and the muscle pain is gone.  The brain, however, does remember pleasure.  It wants more and more of it.

Well, MAYBE not specifically the cold I felt 49 years ago in NYC that time, but I think I CAN tell ya that I STILL have back in the deep recesses of my mind a vivid memory of the freezing cold this ol' Californian felt every January when Northwest Airlines would send my sorry butt to their old headquarters in Minneapolis MN for that two day seminal that I as a supervisor for that airline was required to attend each and every freakin' year.

AND, how every year as I stepped out the MSP terminal to get on my shuttle to the hotel they had set us up in, would think to myself the thought of WHY in the WORLD would ANYBODY choose to live in this frozen freakin' tundra of a place???!!! 

(...and THIS would be during the years AFTER I'd acquired a wardrobe which would contain such items as a hooded parka just for such occasions!)  ;)

LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...