Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

34 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Thanks.  Is Southern Gothic Noir really a category?  Other movies that fit into it?  Personally I never have thought much of A Streetcar Named Desire.

Christmas Holiday (1944)

The Spider (1945)

Moonrise (1948)

All The Kings Men (1949)

Flamingo Road (1949)

Storm Warning (1950)

Ruby Gentry (1952)

The Night of the Hunter (1955)

The Fugitive Kind (1960)

Cape Fear (1962)

• Thanks 1

I don’t know, Algiers is just a carbon copy of Pepe.  Why would you want to do that?  The Gypsy girl in Pepe has way more sprezzatura for sure.

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Christmas Holiday (1944)

The Spider (1945)

Moonrise (1948)

All The Kings Men (1949)

Flamingo Road (1949)

Storm Warning (1950)

Ruby Gentry (1952)

The Night of the Hunter (1955)

The Fugitive Kind (1960)

Cape Fear (1962)

For a moment I thought that these films were on during Oscar month. :( I should've known with Christmas Holiday!

1 hour ago, Thompson said:

I don’t know, Algiers is just a carbon copy of Pepe.  Why would you want to do that?  The Gypsy girl in Pepe has way more sprezzatura for sure.

I think they even used footage from Pepe 

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

For a moment I thought that these films were on during Oscar month. :( I should've known with Christmas Holiday!

He asked for Southern Gothic Noir. There's more, Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967), The Drowning Pool (1975), Body Heat (1981), Tightrope (1984), Angel Heart (1987), Wild At Heart (1990), China Moon (1994), Cold Around The Heart (1997), Palmetto (1998), The Badge (2002), The Notorious Bettie Page (2005). They're probably a few more that I haven't seen or have forgotten. Add  A Face In The Crowd

12 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

He asked for Southern Gothic Noir. There's more, Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967), The Drowning Pool (1975), Body Heat (1981), Tightrope (1984), Angel Heart (1987), Wild At Heart (1990), China Moon (1994), Cold Around The Heart (1997), Palmetto (1998), The Badge (2002), The Notorious Bettie Page (2005). They're probably a few more that I haven't seen or have forgotten. Add  A Face In The Crowd

Maybe add Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte  ? 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ElCid said:

Thanks.  Is Southern Gothic Noir really a category?  Other movies that fit into it?  Personally I never have thought much of A Streetcar Named Desire.

How about (neo)

Poor Pretty Eddie (1975)

Jackson County Jail (1976)

Both kinda similar and kinda good

13 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Body Heat and China Moon are two of my favorite movies.

I googled Southern Gothic Noir movies and it came up with a lot of Southern Gothic listings.  Below is a link to Wikipedia, which also lists some movies and TV series that are "Southern Gothic."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Gothic#Films

Would either or both versions of Cape Fear (1961 and 1992) qualify?

The original has some noir elements but the Southern aspect is somewhat coincidental.

The 1992 remake, I only saw once and hated it, mostly because of DeNiro's performance. He has a tendency in my opinion to play rural, or Southern characters as if they were mentally challenged. I also disliked his performance in Bang the Drum Slowly (1972) for the same reason.

1 hour ago, Herman Bricks said:

How about (neo)

Poor Pretty Eddie (1975)

Jackson County Jail (1976)

Both kinda similar and kinda good

Haven't seen those will watch for them

44 minutes ago, Herman Bricks said:

Would either or both versions of Cape Fear (1961 and 1992) qualify?

The original has some noir elements but the Southern aspect is somewhat coincidental.

The 1992 remake, I only saw once and hated it, mostly because of DeNiro's performance. He has a tendency in my opinion to play rural, or Southern characters as if they were mentally challenged. I also disliked his performance in Bang the Drum Slowly (1972) for the same reason.

I listed the first version since it was definitely filmed in the Noir Style. I don't like the remake either for exactly the same reason.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ElCid said:

Body Heat and China Moon are two of my favorite movies.

I googled Southern Gothic Noir movies and it came up with a lot of Southern Gothic listings.  Below is a link to Wikipedia, which also lists some movies and TV series that are "Southern Gothic."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Gothic#Films

Yes, now out of that list the ones filmed in a visually noir style would be the Southern Gothic Noir. I didn't mention Killer Joe since its got a more Trailer Trash Western feel to me. lol. The list leaves out The Badge.

I’m sorry to be off topic, but after watching Pepe it got me thinking about poetic realism, which got me thinking about David Goodis, which got me thinking about revisiting this guy in print, so I ordered the Library of America’s five noir novels of David Goodis.  Started Dark Passage this morning at 7, looked up and it was past noon, hadn’t smoked one cigarette or taken one  hit of the moonshine for five hours — that’s how good he is.  He reads like more.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I listed the first version since it was definitely filmed in the Noir Style. I don't like the remake either for exactly the same reason.

Whups, sorry I missed that and now that I think about it I agree the original is very noir, and quite well done and disturbing.

Back to DeNiro and Bang the Drum Slowly, I find it amazing that he received so much acclaim for his performance. He portrays no depth or nuance, just annoying stupidity.  He also may be the worst baseball player in a movie, ever. Yes, worse than Madonna or Anthony Perkins.

Another annoying thing to me, in the flick he actually chews, his chewing tobacco. Which is inauthentic. Users pack a wad of the stuff in their cheek and don't chew it. They just let it get wet, suck out  some juice every now and then and spit. No chewing.

• Like 1

Absolutely right about the chewing, nobody chews it, maybe move the tobacco around in the mouth, which looks kinda like chewing, but it’s just shifting the tobacco to a different place.  

I really enjoyed HBOs reboot of Perry Mason, the recreation on 1920's-1930s Loa Angeles, and Angels Flight was amazing. The scenario is Perry is. P.I. working on a child murder case for a lawyer E.B. who's secretary is Della Street. The Lawyer commits suicide a couple of episodes in and Perry passes the bar exam and takes over..

I've never read any of Earl Stanley Gardiner's novels so it was all fresh for me. 

It was well worth the $20 and change to buy the series streaming. A nice Noir-ish way to pass the time till the next Noir Alley.

BTW, Eddie didn't mention the longer cut of They Won't Believe Me on Noir Alley because he's hawking the new Blu i on the Noir City site, lol.

• Thanks 2
On 4/7/2021 at 10:50 AM, Cigarjoe cellph said:

I really enjoyed HBOs reboot of Perry Mason, the recreation on 1920's-1930s Loa Angeles, and Angels Flight was amazing. The scenario is Perry is. P.I. working on a child murder case for a lawyer E.B. who's secretary is Della Street. The Lawyer commits suicide a couple of episodes in and Perry passes the bar exam and takes over..

I've never read any of Earl Stanley Gardiner's novels so it was all fresh for me. 

It was well worth the $20 and change to buy the series streaming. A nice Noir-ish way to pass the time till the next Noir Alley.

BTW, Eddie didn't mention the longer cut of They Won't Believe Me on Noir Alley because he's hawking the new Blu i on the Noir City site, lol.

The Earl Stanly Gardner books are available now from a couple of sources.  I found some at a remainder source.  Read one and it was very different from the TV series and  later TV movies.   Perry and Paul Drake were not above breaking the law, beating up people and so forth if it satisfied their ends.

Have not watched the new series since it seems too great a departure from the Raymond Burr series and TV movies.  My wife watched episode one and was totally disappointed.

Maybe if you had never seen the Burr version, the new one might be interesting.  I will watch it next time it is available on a source I have, but I would not pay for it.  Just to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Incidentally, we have the complete Raymond Burr Perry Mason series on DVD and watch an episode a few times each week.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ElCid said:

The Earl Stanly Gardner books are available now from a couple of sources.  I found some at a remainder source.  Read one and it was very different from the TV series and  later TV movies.   Perry and Paul Drake were not above breaking the law, beating up people and so forth if it satisfied their ends.

Have not watched the new series since it seems too great a departure from the Raymond Burr series and TV movies.  My wife watched episode one and was totally disappointed.

Maybe if you had never seen the Burr version, the new one might be interesting.  I will watch it next time it is available on a source I have, but I would not pay for it.  Just to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Incidentally, we have the complete Raymond Burr Perry Mason series on DVD and watch an episode a few times each week.

Do you have the color episode? I've never seen that one. They never run it on Me-tv.

On 4/8/2021 at 5:35 PM, Hibi said:

Do you have the color episode? I've never seen that one. They never run it on Me-tv.

That would be Episode 6 in Season 9 (final season), The Case of the Twice-Told Twist, 02/27/1966.  Have watched it a few times, but actually prefer the B&W episodes.   I don't think anyone liked it in color, so they went back to B&W.  Guess people were used to the show in B&W and that fit the old mystery genre better I guess.