Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 4/8/2021 at 5:51 PM, cigarjoe said:

Angels Flight - HBO Perry Mason

Watched the first two episodes.  I liked Matthew Rhys in The Americans  and I like movies/TV shows set in the 30's through the 50's, particularly mysteries.  Just can't seem to get into this one.  Also, the "new" Paul Drake character just does not fit the books or the TV shows.  They should have given the character a new name.

I've read a a few different places that the color episode was done as a test for going to color

in the next season. Of course there was no next season, so that was that. I thought PM did

look good in color, though the episode itself was nothing special.

19 hours ago, ElCid said:

Watched the first two episodes.  I liked Matthew Rhys in The Americans  and I like movies/TV shows set in the 30's through the 50's, particularly mysteries.  Just can't seem to get into this one.  Also, the "new" Paul Drake character just does not fit the books or the TV shows.  They should have given the character a new name.

I've only seen the Raymond Burr TV show, and never read any of the novels by Gardiner, so I was amused to see Paul Drake as a black character P.I. this go round. It's part of the "inclusion for all Americans"  that we obviously didn't get  with the Hollywood stereotypes. If it brings new fans to Earl Stanley Gardner's works great. They should bring in some Asian characters too. I enjoyed the  Sister Alice McKeegan character which was obviously based on Aimee Semple McPherson. McPherson pioneered the use of modern media in religious services, using radio to draw on the growing appeal of popular entertainment and incorporating stage techniques into her weekly sermons at Angelus Temple, an early megachurch

You can just enjoy it as a parallel universe Perry Mason. It kind of like Spillane's Mike Hammer a New York Detective who in Kiss Me Deadly is set in Los Angeles, wearing no fedora  or trenchcoat, I don't even think he shoots a gun so no .45 Colt Automatic either. That story was changed a lot too but I'm not complaining it's the best Mike Hammer on film to date.

42 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I've only seen the Raymond Burr TV show, and never read any of the novels by Gardiner, so I was amused to see Paul Drake as a black character P.I. this go round. It's part of the "inclusion for all Americans"  that we obviously didn't get  with the Hollywood stereotypes. If it brings new fans to Earl Stanley Gardner's works great. They should bring in some Asian characters too. I enjoyed the  Sister Alice McKeegan character which was obviously based on Aimee Semple McPherson. McPherson pioneered the use of modern media in religious services, using radio to draw on the growing appeal of popular entertainment and incorporating stage techniques into her weekly sermons at Angelus Temple, an early megachurch

You can just enjoy it as a parallel universe Perry Mason. It kind of like Spillane's Mike Hammer a New York Detective who in Kiss Me Deadly is set in Los Angeles, wearing no fedora  or trenchcoat, I don't even think he shoots a gun so no .45 Colt Automatic either. That story was changed a lot too but I'm not complaining it's the best Mike Hammer on film to date.

I recently had free access to The Girl Hunters with Mickey Spillane as Mike Hammer.   Gave up about 1/3 of the way through it.

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

I recently had free access to The Girl Hunters with Mickey Spillane as Mike Hammer.   Gave up about 1/3 of the way through it.

Yeah he sucks as an actor, the establishing shots were NYC, but it was obviously shot in the UK. 

On 4/7/2021 at 10:50 AM, Cigarjoe cellph said:

I really enjoyed HBOs reboot of Perry Mason, the recreation on 1920's-1930s Loa Angeles, and Angels Flight was amazing. The scenario is Perry is. P.I. working on a child murder case for a lawyer E.B. who's secretary is Della Street. The Lawyer commits suicide a couple of episodes in and Perry passes the bar exam and takes over..

I've never read any of Earl Stanley Gardiner's novels so it was all fresh for me. 

It was well worth the $20 and change to buy the series streaming. A nice Noir-ish way to pass the time till the next Noir Alley.

BTW, Eddie didn't mention the longer cut of They Won't Believe Me on Noir Alley because he's hawking the new Blu i on the Noir City site, lol.

OK, are you saying that the new Blu of They Won't Believe Me will be the 95 minute version, or will it still be the 80 minute version? 

1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

OK, are you saying that the new Blu of They Won't Believe Me will be the 95 minute version, or will it still be the 80 minute version? 

the full 95

• Like 1

Erle Stanley Gardner— it’s in the crossword puzzles all the time.  I happened upon him at the main library, there he was, row after row of  “The Case of the . . .”,  so I sponged him up, maybe twelve or fifteen novels with a slew on the shelves left to go.  Library took his whole cannon away.  Put it in the basement.

17 hours ago, Thompson said:

Erle Stanley Gardner— it’s in the crossword puzzles all the time.  I happened upon him at the main library, there he was, row after row of  “The Case of the . . .”,  so I sponged him up, maybe twelve or fifteen novels with a slew on the shelves left to go.  Library took his whole cannon away.  Put it in the basement.

So, in other words:

The Case of the Langushing Library Logistics 

(...Paul Drake should investigate this)  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Well  tell me how to get to the basement,” I told the library lady who was restocking uninteresting books by uninteresting authors on the same shelves that last week held Erle Stanley Gardner.  “You’re not allowed in the basement,” she said, “but if you know the title and author I might can find it for you.”  “How ‘bout I kinda sneak along behind you and we can look at the books together?”  I mumbled. “Okay,” she said.

• Like 2

“They all begin with The Case of,” the librarian said in the basement of the main library.  “The one we want,” I said, “is The Case of the Languishing Library Logistics.”   “This might take a while,” she said, “I hope you’re not in a hurry.”  “Normally I’m not, no.  I don’t suppose you know a fella named Dargo.” I asked.  “All of us girls know Dargo,” she answered.

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

Anybody watch Ladies in Retirement, the other day, another Victorian Era Noir. I've caught parts of it before, so it was all fresh.

I've seen it before and caught a few minutes yesterday. Would like to see the whole movie again. Good cast, unusual story. A must for fans of Ida Lupino.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

Anybody watch Ladies in Retirement, the other day, another Victorian Era Noir. I've caught parts of it before, so it was all fresh.

Only watched part of it since I have seen it many times.     Good early example of a film with noir undertones but set in the Victorian era and jolly old England (well not so jolly).

Ladies in Retirement - Wikipedia

Our patience has been rewarded - according to the newly-released schedule for the TCM Classic Film Festival, the restored version of They Won’t Believe Me (1947) will be shown at 8 PM ET on Saturday, May 8.

Also of interest, TCM has scheduled the premiere of I Love Trouble (1947) on Saturday, May 8 at 8 AM ET.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Our patience has been rewarded - according to the newly-released schedule for the TCM Classic Film Festival, the restored version of They Won’t Believe Me (1947) will be shown at 8 PM ET on Saturday, May 8.

Also of interest, TCM has scheduled the premiere of I Love Trouble (1947) on Saturday, May 8 at 8 AM ET.

Do you mean its being shown at the Festival or on tv?

4 minutes ago, kingrat said:

The Festival is on TV and HBO Max this year.

Really? The films are being shown on TCM simultaneously???

31 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Really? The films are being shown on TCM simultaneously???

There's no in-person festival this year, so TCM is hosting a 'virtual' festival May 6 - 9, with some content on HBO Max as well.

They have announced the programming for the TCM channel at:

https://filmfestival.tcm.com/schedule/

The HBO Max content is listed at:

https://filmfestival.tcm.com/on-hbomax/

5 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

There's no in-person festival this year, so TCM is hosting a 'virtual' festival May 6 - 9, with some content on HBO Max as well.

They have announced the programming for the TCM channel at:

https://filmfestival.tcm.com/schedule/

The HBO Max content is listed at:

https://filmfestival.tcm.com/on-hbomax/

OK. Thanks! I haven't been keeping up on festival news (obviously) Hope we arent all disappointed and they run the edited version. Really looking forward to this!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Hibi said:

OK. Thanks! I haven't been keeping up on festival news (obviously) Hope we arent all disappointed and they run the edited version. Really looking forward to this!

I wouldn't get my hopes up to much, I remember reading that a lot of the cut material was in just extended scenes of stuff we've already seen. Like one of the dinner scenes. I don't think we'll get completely new stuff for the most part. X your fingers, lol.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Hibi said:

They are advertising They Won't Believe Me as the longer version.

15 hours ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

I wouldn't get my hopes up to much, I remember reading that a lot of the cut material was in just extended scenes of stuff we've already seen. Like one of the dinner scenes. I don't think we'll get completely new stuff for the most part. X your fingers, lol.

We'll see, I guess. I think there was a concert or party scene with Susan Hayward cut. I don't think that scene was in the movie at all.

I watched Crack Up on MOVIES-TV last night.     This 1946 RKO noir is a very good fairly early in the cycle film that has a solid cast  (Pat O'Brien,  first rate noir dame Claire Trevor, but in a good-gal role,  and Herbert Marshall),  with   good direction by Irving Reis (director of many of the Falcon films).

Robert De Grasse was the Cinematographer and there are many nice noir visuals;   E.g. the use of shadows is excellent,  as well as the train scene and use of window reflection and an on-coming train light.     The film is a psychological crime film and De Grasse and Reis make good use of the camera to explore the inter-working's of O'Brien mind and torment.

Also staring the fine actors Ray Collins and Wallace Ford.      I can't recall if Muller has shown this on Noir Alley.    Either way,  check this film out if you haven't seen it.  

Crack-Up (1946 film) - Wikipedia

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1