Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 4/26/2021 at 8:42 PM, Polly of the Precodes said:

Blaise Pascal, guiding genius of film noir?

You may be right.  Here’s another one — “If I had more time I would write a shorter letter.”

3 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

When is Noir Alley coming back? 

Noir Alley returns at midnight EDT on 16 May with A Touch of Evil

This coming weekend is the virtual TCM Film Festival, bumping Noir Alley a week.

• Sad 1

In case it hasn't been mentioned already, I thought folks here might want to know that Eddie Muller's excellent book Dark City is being reissued in a revised and expanded edition.  The publication date for the new edition is July 6, 2021. 

Here's the description found on a prominent online retailer's site:

"This revised and expanded edition of Eddie Muller's Dark City is a film noir lover's bible, taking readers on a tour of the urban landscape of the grim and gritty genre in a definitive, highly illustrated volume.

"Dark City expands with new chapters and a fresh collection of restored photos that illustrate the mythic landscape of the imagination. It's a place where the men and women who created film noir often find themselves dangling from the same sinister heights as the silver-screen avatars to whom they gave life. Eddie Muller, host of Turner Classic Movies' Noir Alley, takes readers on a spellbinding trip through treacherous terrain: Hollywood in the post-World War II years, where art, politics, scandal, style -- and brilliant craftsmanship -- produced a new approach to moviemaking, and a new type of cultural mythology."

1252153358_DarkCitycover.jpg.64fa6e0600d441d3658d2a423132f3c0.jpg

(Apologies if folks who keep up with this thread more thoroughly than I do have already mentioned the book's reissue.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, BingFan said:

In case it hasn't been mentioned already, I thought folks here might want to know that Eddie Muller's excellent book Dark City is being reissued in a revised and expanded edition.  The publication date for the new edition is July 6, 2021. 

Here's the description found on a prominent online retailer's site:

"This revised and expanded edition of Eddie Muller's Dark City is a film noir lover's bible, taking readers on a tour of the urban landscape of the grim and gritty genre in a definitive, highly illustrated volume.

"Dark City expands with new chapters and a fresh collection of restored photos that illustrate the mythic landscape of the imagination. It's a place where the men and women who created film noir often find themselves dangling from the same sinister heights as the silver-screen avatars to whom they gave life. Eddie Muller, host of Turner Classic Movies' Noir Alley, takes readers on a spellbinding trip through treacherous terrain: Hollywood in the post-World War II years, where art, politics, scandal, style -- and brilliant craftsmanship -- produced a new approach to moviemaking, and a new type of cultural mythology."

1252153358_DarkCitycover.jpg.64fa6e0600d441d3658d2a423132f3c0.jpg

(Apologies if folks who keep up with this thread more thoroughly than I do have already mentioned the book's reissue.)

I just ordered this through the Larry Edmunds Hollywood shop.  Apparently pre-ordered copies come pre-signed by Eddie Muller.  My husband and I are planning on visiting Los Angeles in October for part of our 10th wedding anniversary trip and I'm planning on hitting up the Larry Edmunds shop.  I've wanted to go there ever since I learned it existed.  I'm so excited to see it!

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I just ordered this through the Larry Edmunds Hollywood shop.  Apparently pre-ordered copies come pre-signed by Eddie Muller.  My husband and I are planning on visiting Los Angeles in October for part of our 10th wedding anniversary trip and I'm planning on hitting up the Larry Edmunds shop.  I've wanted to go there ever since I learned it existed.  I'm so excited to see it!

Great to see you're be going to Larry Edmunds Hollywood shop.      I love that place and it was part of the reason I really got into studio-era movies.    Before TCM,  I would see a movie on the local T.V.,  get into a new actor and head up to the shop to purchases a book or two about them,  and still photos (actual studio promo ones when I could find them, with an official studio stamp - used by permission only).      I was going about once every 3 - 4 weeks.     

I haven't been there in a few years,  and during Covid they did hold a fund raiser which was covered by the L.A. Times.   Anyhow I assume it is still the same great place and you will not be disappointed  (can't say the same thing for the Hollywood sign,,  oh well).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Great to see you're be going to Larry Edmunds Hollywood shop.      I love that place and it was part of the reason I really got into studio-era movies.    Before TCM,  I would see a movie on the local T.V.,  get into a new actor and head up to the shop to purchases a book or two about them,  and still photos (actual studio promo ones when I could find them, with an official studio stamp - used by permission only).      I was going about once every 3 - 4 weeks.     

I haven't been there in a few years,  and during Covid they did hold a fund raiser which was covered by the L.A. Times.   Anyhow I assume it is still the same great place and you will not be disappointed  (can't say the same thing for the Hollywood sign,,  oh well).

I've seen the Hollywood Sign (at least from a distance.  I haven't hiked up to see the back of it or anything).  I'm trying to fit in some other Old Hollywood things if they're located relatively close to the other activities we're planning.  We have 4 days/ 3 nights in LA, then we're headed down to San Diego.  I made a dinner reservation at Musso & Frank's.  We're planning on going to the Oscar museum.  I also want to eat at the Rainbow Bar and Grill and go to the Whisky-A-Go-Go.  We also want to go to Barney's Beanery.  I'm going to see if I can go to the Music Box Stairs, The Brady Bunch House (I know, not Old Hollywood), and the Double Indemnity house. 

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I've seen the Hollywood Sign (at least from a distance.  I haven't hiked up to see the back of it or anything).  I'm trying to fit in some other Old Hollywood things if they're located relatively close to the other activities we're planning.  We have 4 days/ 3 nights in LA, then we're headed down to San Diego.  I made a dinner reservation at Musso & Frank's.  We're planning on going to the Oscar museum.  I also want to eat at the Rainbow Bar and Grill and go to the Whisky-A-Go-Go.  We also want to go to Barney's Beanery.  I'm going to see if I can go to the Music Box Stairs, The Brady Bunch House (I know, not Old Hollywood), and the Double Indemnity house. 

Musso & Frank's is like a step into the 1950s with the red leather banquettes. The menu is retro, too. You might check and see what's playing at the Egyptian, which is very close to Musso and Frank's. They often show classic films on the big screen.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kingrat said:

Musso & Frank's is like a step into the 1950s with the red leather banquettes. The menu is retro, too. You might check and see what's playing at the Egyptian, which is very close to Musso and Frank's. They often show classic films on the big screen.

I definitely want to see a movie at one of the old theaters if I have time. I’ll be keeping an eye out for the October schedule. 

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for “The Long, Long Trailer.” Lol

• Like 1
11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I definitely want to see a movie at one of the old theaters if I have time. I’ll be keeping an eye out for the October schedule. 

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for “The Long, Long Trailer.” Lol

You might have a wander through the Roosevelt Hotel as well, or have lunch there

• Like 1

Are some great movie palaces on Hollywood Blvd. Maybe they'll be open by then (some are now live entertainment). You could at least peek in.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

You might have a wander through the Roosevelt Hotel as well, or have lunch there

Yes. This is definitely something I've considered. I know it's haunted by Marilyn Monroe and Montgomery Clift and William Frawley lived there for years while he filmed "I Love Lucy."  I told my husband that we'll need to bring an extra suitcase just so I can fill it with all the awesome stuff I'm going to buy. 

I have a ton of things on my list. I just hope we have time. We're doing 4 days/3 nights in LA and then 7 days/ 6 nights in San Diego.  In San Diego, we splurged on the Hotel Del Coronado--I'm really excited about staying there.  It's been on my list of things I wanted to do at least once in my life.

41 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Are some great movie palaces on Hollywood Blvd. Maybe they'll be open by then (some are now live entertainment). You could at least peek in.

Yes. I'm hoping by October that things will be relatively normal.  My husband and I will be fully vaccinated and we want to travel and see things. Lol. 

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes. I have a ton of things on my list. I just hope we have time. We're doing 4 days/3 nights in LA and then 7 days/ 6 nights in San Diego.  In San Diego, we splurged on the Hotel Del Coronado--I'm really excited about staying there.  It's been on my list of things I wanted to do at least once in my life.

The Hotel Del Coronado is worth seeing.     There is a fair amount of Hollywood history on display there.    I tend to take the Italian relatives down to San Diego to see the hotel and Little Italy in downtown S.D.     

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The Hotel Del Coronado is worth seeing.     There is a fair amount of Hollywood history on display there.    I tend to take the Italian relatives down to San Diego to see the hotel and Little Italy in downtown S.D.     

We went to the hotel 10 years ago just to see it and sit on the beach, but we didn't stay there.  I'm excited that we're going to be staying there as guests.  I made sure to book a room in the original, Victorian building, and not in one of the newer buildings. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

We went to the hotel 10 years ago just to see it and sit on the beach, but we didn't stay there.  I'm excited that we're going to be staying there as guests.  I made sure to book a room in the original, Victorian building, and not in one of the newer buildings. 

The Hotel Del Coronado doubled for Miami in Some Like It Hot. L. Frank Baum also wrote some of the Oz books there.

7 hours ago, kingrat said:

The Hotel Del Coronado doubled for Miami in Some Like It Hot. L. Frank Baum also wrote some of the Oz books there.

Some Like It Hot | The 1959 comedy "Some Like It Hot" (top) … | Flickr

• Like 1

Speaking of Sandy Eggo...

Judie (that would be my wife) and I are headed there in two weeks from now and to celebrate our 30th anniversary. She grew up in Clairemont, just inland from Mission Bay.

We'll be staying in the Gaslamp Quarter and hope to take in a Padres game at one point.

(...and yeah and before someone else says it here...yeah yeah, she's a saint...for puttin' up with me for that length of time)

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Judie (that would be my wife) and I are headed there in two weeks from now and to celebrate our 30th anniversary. She grew up in Clairemont, just inland from Mission Bay.

We'll be staying in the Gaslamp Quarter and hope to take in a Padres game at one point.

(...and yeah and before someone else says it here...yeah yeah, she's a saint...for puttin' up with me for that length of time)

She must be! :D

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dargo said:

I'm hoping to have dinner one night in the Gaslamp Quarter. 

I've tentatively got a lot of Classic Hollywood-related activities planned in our trip (LA & San Diego), I hope my husband is ready. Lol. 

• Like 2