Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Thompson said:

Dargo, try to catch if you can Yu Darvish on the hill.

Good suggestion, Thompson. Darvish does seem to be having a pretty good season so far with his new team down San Diego way, doesn't he.

(...they'll be hosting the Mariners the days we'll be there, btw...although, this old Angeleno here sure wishes the Dodgers were there instead, and which as you probably know has turned into a real rivalry of late)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cubs just took three of three, should help you some. Gotta worry about the Giants too though.  I lived in San Francisco for two weeks way back when and am still trying to get feeling back in my toes and fingers.  Cold as all get out in the middle of May.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thompson said:

Cubs just took three of three, should help you some. Gotta worry about the Giants too though.  I lived in San Francisco for two weeks way back when and am still trying to get feeling back in my toes and fingers.  Cold as all get out in the middle of May.

I'm sure you know the old line about this sort'a thing that's been attributed to Mark Twain, right?!

"The coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in San Francisco."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ElCid said:

What does all this sports talk have to do with Noir Alley?  Did I miss something?

You didn't miss anything.     With regards to the Mitchum Crossfire,   this was followed up by Out of the Past,  making Mitchum a major star.

Out of the Past (1947) | The Blonde at the Film

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You didn't miss anything.     With regards to the Mitchum Crossfire,   this was followed up by Out of the Past,  making Mitchum a major star.

Out of the Past (1947) | The Blonde at the Film

 

While I like Out of the Past, I prefer Mitchum and Greer in The Big Steal.  Not a Noir, but an entertaining mystery movie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ElCid said:

While I like Out of the Past, I prefer Mitchum and Greer in The Big Steal.  Not a Noir, but an entertaining mystery movie.

I really enjoy both but Out of the Past is the better film IMO.       Note that William Bendix would work with Mitchum,   3 years later in Macao.

  

The Big Steal (July 9, 1949) | OCD Viewer

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I really enjoy both but Out of the Past is the better film IMO.       Note that William Bendix would work with Mitchum,   3 years later in Macao.

  

The Big Steal (July 9, 1949) | OCD Viewer

No doubt Out of the Past is the "better" movie, but for me The Big Steal is more entertaining and one I enjoy watching frequently.  Sort of comedy/crime/road show movie and relatively short.  One interesting aspect is how much more femme fatale Greer was portrayed as in Out compared to role in Big Steal.  Of course, she was a femme fatale in Out.  Shows the contrast in make-up, wardrobe, script, directing and acting.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ElCid said:

No doubt Out of the Past is the "better" movie, but for me The Big Steal is more entertaining and one I enjoy watching frequently.  Sort of comedy/crime/road show movie and relatively short.  One interesting aspect is how much more femme fatale Greer was portrayed as in Out compared to role in Big Steal.  Of course, she was a femme fatale in Out.  Shows the contrast in make-up, wardrobe, script, directing and acting.

Yes,   the character Greer plays in The Big Steal is that of the girlfriend to a dishonest swindler,   played by Patrick Knowles.    

This is similar to Liz Scott and her character in Pitfall  (but at the end of that film Scott is behind bars).     But like Greer both actresses are known for their femme fatale roles than these girlfriend-of-a-cad roles. 

Pitfall3.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ElCid said:

What does all this sports talk have to do with Noir Alley?  Did I miss something?

Well Cid, if you'd really like a little recap about this, it started when the city of San Diego was mentioned earlier in this baby, and it just kind'a took off from there! ;)

(...saaay, and speakin' of that town AND the idea of "film noir", does anyone here know if there are any noirs that were ever set there?...can't think of any off the top of my head, anyway)

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well Cid, if you'd really like a little recap about this, it started when the city of San Diego was mentioned earlier in this baby, and it just kind'a took off from there! ;)

(...saaay, and speakin' of that town AND the idea of "film noir", does anyone here know if there are any noirs that were ever set there?...can't think of any off the top of my head, anyway)

The only films I can think of aside from the aforementioned Some Like it Hot are Citizen Kane and Dive Bomber... But none of those are film noir.  I am researching this as I also want to know the answer.

Does anyone know if the naval base in Dive Bomber is the same one that is next door to the Hotel Del Coronado? 

EDIT: Upon further research, it seems that The Breaking Point (1950) features San Diego.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, speedracer5 said:

The only films I can think of aside from the aforementioned "Some Like it Hot" are Citizen Kane and Dive Bomber... But neither of those are film noir.  I am researching this as I also want to know the answer.

Does anyone know if the naval base in Dive Bomber is the same one that is next door to the Hotel Del Coronado? 

Actually here speedy, I've always thought that Citizen Kane, and especially because of Toland's cinematography, could be viewed as an example of "proto-noir" lets call it. And so, maybe in this case you might not be too far off the mark here.

(...BUT refresh my memory here, and because I don't recall any part of CK being set in San Diego, as the Xanadu estate is located in Florida, as I recall)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

The only films I can think of aside from the aforementioned Some Like it Hot are Citizen Kane and Dive Bomber... But none of those are film noir.  I am researching this as I also want to know the answer.

Does anyone know if the naval base in Dive Bomber is the same one that is next door to the Hotel Del Coronado? 

EDIT: Upon further research, it seems that The Breaking Point (1950) features San Diego.

-

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Actually here speedy, I've always thought that Citizen Kane, and especially because of Toland's cinematography, could be viewed as an example of "proto-noir" lets call it. And so, maybe in this case you might not be too far off the mark here.

(...BUT refresh my memory here, and because I don't recall any part of CK being set in San Diego, as the Xanadu estate is located in Florida, as I recall)

Apparently Kane's mansion, Xanadu, features a building from Balboa Park standing in for his mansion.  It might be a very tenuous connection to San Diego at best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, speedracer5 said:

Apparently parts of Citizen Kane were filmed in (or features) Balboa Park.

Ah, of course. I think I've heard this...that some of the scenes meant to portray parts of Xanadu in Florida were filmed in Balboa Park.

(...however, the question here remains if there were ever any noirs which were actually set in San Diego?...any luck with your search here?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ah, of course. I think I've heard this...that some of the scenes meant to portray parts of Xanadu in Florida were filmed in Balboa Park.

(...however, the question here remains if there were ever any noirs which were actually set in San Diego?...any luck with your search here?)

I haven't found any that were set in San Diego.  Apparently The Breaking Point features San Diego at some point, but I can't recall any specific parts of the film.  Another article I read kept talking about Tension, but I thought that film took place in LA.  I couldn't remember any San Diego specific scenes in that film.

From my research, it seems that San Diego was a favorite location for military films.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And so, after checking this Wiki source here:

Category:Films set in San Diego - Wikipedia

The only films I could find that were set either fully or partially in the city of San Diego were a few neo-noirs, with the more notable ones being the George C. Scott starring Hardcore (1979), and the film about the illegal drug trade industry Traffic  (2000) which was awarded a few Oscars. However, there were no classic film noirs that I could find on this list.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guilty Bystander (1950), with Max Thursday featured in four or five detective novels, were all located in San Diego, but in the film based on Guilty Bystander the action was all relocated to Brooklyn.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I did, and was following Eddie Mueller on Twitter.

Eddie Mueller live tweeted during the presentation highlighting the differences.

Specifics can be read by the dedicated with minimal effort at @EddieMuller, which @TCM retweeted, if you follow that account instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 5:40 PM, speedracer5 said:

The only films I can think of aside from the aforementioned Some Like it Hot are Citizen Kane and Dive Bomber... But none of those are film noir.  I am researching this as I also want to know the answer.

Does anyone know if the naval base in Dive Bomber is the same one that is next door to the Hotel Del Coronado? 

EDIT: Upon further research, it seems that The Breaking Point (1950) features San Diego.

Wouldn't The Wings of Eagles be set in San Diego?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 9:10 PM, speedracer5 said:

I haven't found any that were set in San Diego.  Apparently The Breaking Point features San Diego at some point, but I can't recall any specific parts of the film.  Another article I read kept talking about Tension, but I thought that film took place in LA.  I couldn't remember any San Diego specific scenes in that film.

From my research, it seems that San Diego was a favorite location for military films.

I believe The Breaking Point is set in Newport Beach's Balboa Island:  that is the port where the Garfield character keeps his boat.     When he goes to pick-up the Chinese trying to  enter the country illegally that is in the San Diego borderline area  (so your "at some point" would be on-target).    But I could be mistaken.

One other idea for your vacation:   go to Laguna Beach and the beach where Captain Blood was filmed (the scene where Flynn duels Rathbone ending their partnership). 

Laguna Beach is on your way when you go from Hollywood to San Diego.      I go there often (since it is 10 minutes from where I live) and one can recognize the rocks in the ocean shore (of course still there 70 plus years later after one of my favorite films (and yours I believe),  was filmed there.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I believe The Breaking Point is set in Newport Beach's Balboa Island:  that is the port where the Garfield character keeps his boat.     When he goes to pick-up the Chinese trying to  enter the country illegally that is in the San Diego borderline area  (so your "at some point" would be on-target).    But I could be mistaken.

One other idea for your vacation:   go to Laguna Beach and the beach where Captain Blood was filmed (the scene where Flynn duels Rathbone ending their partnership). 

Laguna Beach is on your way when you go from Hollywood to San Diego.      I go there often (since it is 10 minutes from where I live) and one can recognize the rocks in the ocean shore (of course still there 70 plus years later after one of my favorite films (and yours I believe),  was filmed there.

Cool! Thanks for the idea! I was trying to see if I could see Thelma Todd's Sidewalk Cafe which looks like it might be by Malibu?? But I'm not sure if it's out of my way or not.  Most of our activities are going to be centered around Hollywood/Studio City/La Brea ish.  I found out that the original location of Desilu studios is nearby some of the things that we're planning on doing, so I hope to maybe see that if I can. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Cool! Thanks for the idea! I was trying to see if I could see Thelma Todd's Sidewalk Cafe which looks like it might be by Malibu?? But I'm not sure if it's out of my way or not.  Most of our activities are going to be centered around Hollywood/Studio City/La Brea ish.  I found out that the original location of Desilu studios is nearby some of the things that we're planning on doing, so I hope to maybe see that if I can. 

I assume your husband and you will be driving south from Hollywood to San Diego.    Since Laguna Beach is about half-way it would be a great place for lunch.   Get off the 5 Freeway taking the 133.   This takes one right into downtown.    Find parking near Las Brisas (a corner where I believe a few films were made before this Mexican restaurant was build)  and walk north  along a very nice beach trail and you will find the spot where that scene was filmed.      This would be a nice break in your drive.      From Laguna it would be about 1 \ 1\2 to 2 hours and before you get to The Hotel del Coronado.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...