Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

9 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I think the more times one watches Touch of Evil the easier it is to figure out the plot, which

is confusing on the first go round. Like Miss W I was amazed at how Heston would just leave 

his wife and not come back for hours. Well there he goes again. It's not like he just went down

to the ice machine to get some ice. As the advice columnists say That might be a red flag. 

I don't think it's as confusing as some other noirs, you just have to pay attention. I wonder if TCM will ever show the release version again. It would be interesting to compare them.

12 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

It was another Gabor in that film:  Zsa Zsa played a strip club owner/manager.

Yeah, I knew Zsa Zsa was in it, but Eddie said at the beginning that Eva Gabor was in it too.  I don't remember seeing her in it.

49 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Yeah, I knew Zsa Zsa was in it, but Eddie said at the beginning that Eva Gabor was in it too.  I don't remember seeing her in it.

DITTO. And I've watched the film many times.........

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, midwestan said:

Just listened to his intro (didn't watch it the other night), and he mentioned both of the Gabor sisters, so he's not confusing one for the other.  Only Zsa Zsa is credited.

Eva is listed in IMDb as "Stripper Sitting at Bar".  There is a blonde woman sitting at the bar just a few seconds before Zsa Zsa has her lines.  The same woman looks like she's sitting at the stripper stage later on.  Here's a partial screen grab I did from the first scene.  This is just before Zsa Zsa's entrance...

oOvEkMz.jpg

I guess that could be Eva?

• Like 2

I rewinded that scene to watch it again and noticed that woman, but it didnt look like Eva to me. Eva was petite when younger and that woman looked a bit "overripe"

8 hours ago, Hibi said:

I don't think it's as confusing as some other noirs, you just have to pay attention. I wonder if TCM will ever show the release version again. It would be interesting to compare them.

I agree. It's not as confusing as some other noirs, though it took me a while to figure it all out.

There are usually large time gaps between my viewings of the movie so I forget which is which.

I'd have to see them in close proximity to recall the differences. 

11 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I agree. It's not as confusing as some other noirs, though it took me a while to figure it all out.

There are usually large time gaps between my viewings of the movie so I forget which is which.

DITTO! Has been a long time since I've seen the studio version........

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

I rewinded that scene to watch it again and noticed that woman, but it didnt look like Eva to me. Eva was petite when younger and that woman looked a bit "overripe"

I think it is, because of the nose.  I try not to miss Green Acres at 8:30.  

17 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Did you catch FTN last night??? What a nutcase! Scary there are people like him around. LMREO over the letter to Obama!

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

Did you catch FTN last night??? What a nutcase! Scary there are people like him around. LMREO over the letter to Obama!

Is this a politics thread?

On 5/20/2021 at 6:18 AM, Hibi said:

I haven't looked but it seems like there would be a Criterion DVD with both versions.

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yeah. Talk about a person being totally delusional. And he received a reply from Obama or whoever handles

those things from the general public. Then goes in and shows it to the local gov't officials. I wonder if the

victim really danced around him making fun of him. Not that that excuses what he did, but this is the kind of

guy one should stay away from as far as possible. 

2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Yeah. Talk about a person being totally delusional. And he received a reply from Obama or whoever handles

those things from the general public. Then goes in and shows it to the local gov't officials. I wonder if the

victim really danced around him making fun of him. Not that that excuses what he did, but this is the kind of

guy one should stay away from as far as possible. 

Yeah, its possible that was another one of his delusions.......

3 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

Is this a politics thread?

No, Was discussing a crime show. One of the nuts sent a letter to Obama to intervene on a property dispute!

On 5/20/2021 at 9:18 AM, Hibi said:

So,  I'm confused, and I've seen the film at least 3 times.

What did the killing of that American millionaire  (the poor stripper in the car with him was just collateral damage),  you know, the guy in the car that had the bomb in it,  have to do with the Grandi family?  What did the young shoe-salesman, who was apparently married to the millionaire's daughter,  have to do with the Grandis?  Nothing?   I know Quinlan was convinced of the shoe guy's guilt, hence the frame-up in which he plants dynamite in a shoebox  (appropriately, I guess) so the young guy will be arrested.  and I also know we're supposed to think that the shoe-salesman/  husband of the murdered millionaire's daughter,  actually DID plant the bomb in the car  -  supposedly he confessed, later??

But what did all that have to do with "Uncle" Joe Grandi and his thuggish nephews?  I did get the point, which I've missed on earlier viewings,  that Grandi wanted Quinlan to think that Vargas and his wife were both hooked on heroin -  possibly to discredit Vargas' motivations as a police detective.   I think...I guess..

But how does it all connect?  If you or anyone else here can concisely 'splain the plot to me, in an  A  B C  manner  (so I won't get confused again),  I'd really appreciate it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

I haven't looked but it seems like there would be a Criterion DVD with both versions.

Criterion has not released Touch of Evil.  I believe that Kino Lorber is set to release a 4K version this year sometime.  The new release will have all three cuts of the film.

https://www.wellesnet.com/touch-of-evil-4k-uhd/

56 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

What did the killing of that American millionaire  (the poor stripper in the car with him was just collateral damage),  you know, the guy in the car that had the bomb in it,  have to do with the Grandi family?  What did the young shoe-salesman, who was apparently married to the millionaire's daughter,  have to do with the Grandis?  Nothing?   I know Quinlan was convinced of the shoe guy's guilt, hence the frame-up in which he plants dynamite in a shoebox  (appropriately, I guess) so the young guy will be arrested.  and I also know we're supposed to think that the shoe-salesman/  husband of the murdered millionaire's daughter,  actually DID plant the bomb in the car  -  supposedly he confessed, later??

But what did all that have to do with "Uncle" Joe Grandi and his thuggish nephews?  I did get the point, which I've missed on earlier viewings,  that Grandi wanted Quinlan to think that Vargas and his wife were both hooked on heroin -  possibly to discredit Vargas' motivations as a police detective.   I think...I guess..

But how does it all connect?  If you or anyone else here can concisely 'splain the plot to me, in an  A  B C  manner  (so I won't get confused again),  I'd really appreciate it.

The opening scene crime is kind of a MacGuffin.   It's just a way to get Vargas meddling into Quinlan's doings to get the story going and to illustrate Quinlan's corruption, and since the crime crossed borders (bomb planted in Mexico, but exploded in the US), it's sort of reasonable for Mexican police (Vargas) to be involved.   There had to be some mechanism to get both sides involved in order for the flipped corruption angle to be explored (corruption in the US police instead of the usual trope of Mexican police corruption)

My question is why would you honeymoon in a dump of a town like that (on either side of the border)?  What's wrong with Acapulco (the tourist hotspot in Mexico at that time)?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, its possible that was another one of his delusions.......

He had a bag full of them. I own the house next door. I own the whole block. I own the whole city.

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

4th time was the charm for me. 

Sanchez plants the bomb because he thinks he's going to marry the daughter, Marcia Linnekar. She is in cahoots with her attorney though and he anticipates Quinlan eventually becoming involved in the investigation. Once that happens, Sanchez is the ready made patsy. It's just a subplot and has nothing to do with the Grandi crime family.

You have the scheme to discredit Vargas right. But I don't think they actually use heroin. The hot-rod hellcats make her believe they used the real stuff but there's mention that it was sodium pentathol, as Vargas had suspected. 

There's several  plots going on that intersect with Quinlan , the bombing, the Grandi arrest and who will be head of the crime family, Quinlan's history of planting evidence and Quinlan's relationship with his partner, candy bars, hooch and Tanya the fortune teller.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

4th time was the charm for me. 

Sanchez plants the bomb because he thinks he's going to marry the daughter, Marcia Linnekar. She is in cahoots with her attorney though and he anticipates Quinlan eventually becoming involved in the investigation. Once that happens, Sanchez is the ready made patsy. It's just a subplot and has nothing to do with the Grandi crime family.

You have the scheme to discredit Vargas right. But I don't think they actually use heroin. The hot-rod hellcats make her believe they used the real stuff but there's mention that it was sodium pentathol, as Vargas had suspected. 

There's several  plots going on that intersect with Quinlan , the bombing, the Grandi arrest and who will be head of the crime family, Quinlan's history of planting evidence and Quinlan's relationship with his partner, candy bars, hooch and Tanya the fortune teller.

My favorite character in the film was Ray Collins as District Attorney Adair.      While not close to being as corrupt as he was as a DA in The Racket,    Collins is great at these type of  roles.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

that was her sister Eva.

It was a joke, Nip. Glad you got it.