Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RE Crawford shoulder padds and Michael Curtiz here is the story:  When Jack Warner, producer and the then head of Warner Bros. suggested Crawford for the lead role in Mildred Pierce, director Michael Curtiz reportedly exploded: “She comes over here with her high-hat airs and her go**amn shoulder pads…why should I waste my time directing a has-been?”. He forced Crawford to take a screen-test, surely a humiliating experience for an actress who had enjoyed two decades at MGM.

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Her ex-husband was trying to kill her while she was working as a counselor at a children's summer camp.  The ex had escaped from a mental hospital.  I seldom watch it anymore, but I do not recall Crawford actually involved with any children.  She mostly was around horses.  Picture from the show, Same Picture, Different Frame.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0690480/

Same Picture, Different Frame Poster

LOL. Keep Joan away from children! :D

13 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Wow, Bronxgirl,  that's some long list of actors you don't find attractive !  Let's see, that leaves...Cary Grant.  and, I guess,  Clark Gable  (but what about the ears?)

I find at least half of the guys on your list  (both lists)  quite attractive.  Actually, I'm not sure if you're talking about "attractive" or  "good looking", because they're not necessarily the same thing.

And, just about the only man on your list who you concede IS  good looking,  I can't stand !  Lawrence Tierney?  Yuck !  He's handsome like a load of granite is.

Just on your first list alone,  there are 4 actors I think are extremely attractive:  Robert Ryan  (he doesn't have beady eyes, he has sad eyes);  Robert Mitchum  (not bloated, at least not when he was young; and speaking of eyes,  I like his "sleepy" looking eyes)  ; John Garfield  - it's not so much his looks that are appealing, as his snappy energy;   and Dana Andrews - definitely sexy.  Maybe not so much in Laura   ( I love Laura, but let's face it,  there's almost as little chemistry between him and Gene Tierney as there is between Gene and Clifton Webb),   but Dana's pretty dishy in , say,  Fallen Angel.    Of course,  I don't know why I'm defending Dana Andrews, because we actually seem to agree about him.

But, damn !  you're tough on these poor guys !  One tilted eyebrow or biggish ear, and it's over !  I've always thought that perfection was dull, and that certainly applies to physical appearance.  Those two Roberts  (we'll leave poor boring Robert Taylor out of it, I'm talking about the other Roberts)  are maybe not traditionally handsome, but they're interesting looking.

And I had to laugh that Elisha Cook Jr. got a "pass".  No,  come to think of it,  you must have meant you'd pass on a chance to date him.

Ya wanna talk weak chins?  Zachary Scot's got the weakest chin in Hollywood,  I've never found him attractive.  (don't mind some of the films he's been in, though.)

Anyway,  of course we're all just having fun with this.  I don't want you to think I'm taking your lists too seriously.  But still !  list me some classic Hollywood actors who you DO think are attractive -  and no nit-picking about ears or chins,  it's got to be the whole package or nothing !

Hi!

My confession -- I was also attracted to Bugs Bunny.....in my twenties.   I'd been through a series of unfortunate relationships (nothing major, just....disappointing.  I know, you're thinking "Gee, I wonder why?" lol) and remember waking up one morning praying I'd turn into a female rabbit.  (because inter-species romance is just, well, not right, not that I'd ever consider such a horrible thing)  Now even though I'm constitutionally drawn to basically white-knight "good guys" as opposed to the supposedly irresistible "bad boys", Bugs always drew me in -- because he was funny, irreverant, and -- furry! (even though you know I loathe body hair on men -- you know, Henry Fonda's hirsuiteness, etc., lol)  But animals with fur are something else entirely.  You can stroke and cuddle them all day....

Now Lawrence Tierney.....I did say that if I thought about him too long I'd get the willies, like if I ripped off that handsome face there'd be some hideous, seething alien creature lurking within.

Yes, I'd "pass" on a date with Elisha. 

I didn't mention Alan Ladd -- (how could that have happened??)  A cutie-pie!  (I do prefer them on the short(er) side.  And he's a blondie, always my preference.  I'd carry Ladd in my pocket all day long then pull him out at night for those intimate romantic moments...

As a born and bred NYC kid I can understand the appeal of Garfield with that street-smart energy you speak of but something is lacking for me.....George Raft's ginormous ears don't bother me in the 1932 SCARFACE -- he's adorable! -- but they begin to annoy by 1940 in THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT.

I got excited seeing Barton Maclane in an undershirt.  (it was in some Universal mummy programmer I believe).

William Powell is my all-time favorite actor but unfortunately he looks like my Uncle Irving.  And Bill is also cursed with very thin and pasty wrists.  Plus he has always looked avuncular, even when young.  (although IRL managed to snag Carole Lombard and Jean Harlow)

I can spot Robert Young a mile away.  It's that sway back posture with the flat feet.  Robert Montgomery has reserves of malevolence (NIGHT MUST FALL, RAGE IN HEAVEN) in his favor.  Young couldn't be sinister if his life depended on it.

Yes, Dana is indeed dishy in FALLEN ANGEL.   But as early as DAISY KENYON I felt his looks and appeal started to go downhill.  (could have been the booze)

Interesting about "attraction" vs. "good-looking".   I think we can all probably agree that Gary Cooper falls into the latter category.  But for me he's just a big plank.   The former is more subjective, n'est pas?  

Cornel Wilde floats my boat, even though he shares with Heflin the slightly buggy eyes...

William Holden -- perfection!  At the height of his all-American rugged small-town gorgeousness in APARTMENT FOR PEGGY and RACHEL AND THE HUNTER.  Now Miss W., if you were Loretta Young in that movie, would you really choose Mitchum over Bill?   Bob seems to be warming up for NIGHT OF THE HUNTER.  No contest.  

Yeah, Zachary has no chin but I actually do find him kind of sexy and charismatic.

So who do I love?  Who makes my heart go pitter-patter?  In no particular order: Rex Harrison but only as Capt. Gregg in THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, Roger Livesey but only as the Laird in I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING, James Shigeta (so dreamy in FLOWER DRUM SONG), William Holden (enough said), Tom Conway (one of the few actors who looks good in a mustache, along with Ronald Colman and Bill Powell), Brian Keith (yes!  and I can see a parallel with Van although Brian has a more beefy, John Ford-ish masculinity I never used to find sexy but now do), John Mills (cute short Englishman), John Shelton (Marjorie Reynolds' aristocratic, turncoat boyfriend in THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES; I love me a man in Revolutionary War gear), Nelson Eddy (the ultimate "good guy", and a blonde.  Corny I know, but I'd want him serenading me in a canoe), Leo Genn (Brit intellectual masculinity), Lew Ayres (sensitive and boyish but with interesting undercurrents....)

Must take a break.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a fan of googly eyes or blubbery lips, (i.e. Jimmy Stewart)  I'm drawn toward basically sharp-featured guys.   And actors who specialize in Westerns:  Roy Rogers, Tom Tyler, even Harry Carey SENIOR (not the Howdy Doody son).  Ben Johnson as aging Sam the Lion in THE LAST PICTURE SHOW is incredibly sexy to me, much more so than when he was younger in the Ford movies and MIGHTY JOE YOUNG. 

Other crushes:  Dennis Morgan (never more so than in that movie with Ida Lupino, Joan Leslie and Jack Carson; oh God I'm drawing a blank) and I'm obsessed over the obscure actor who plays that young Revolutionary War doctor coming to the aid of General Herkimer in DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK. 

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

I WOULD! :D

lol, well there is a bit of a froggy aspect to Van's countenance but his beautiful voice more than makes up for this imo.   

Don't tell me you'd prefer Raymond Massey.

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

lol, well there is a bit of a froggy aspect to Van's countenance but his beautiful voice more than makes up for this imo.   

Don't tell me you'd prefer Raymond Massey.

No, even Van beats Ray! :D

• Haha 2
29 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Not a fan of googly eyes or blubbery lips, (i.e. Jimmy Stewart)  I'm drawn toward basically sharp-featured guys.   And actors who specialize in Westerns:  Roy Rogers, Tom Tyler, even Harry Carey SENIOR (not the Howdy Doody son).  Ben Johnson as aging Sam the Lion in THE LAST PICTURE SHOW is incredibly sexy to me, much more so than when he was younger in the Ford movies and MIGHTY JOE YOUNG. 

Other crushes:  Dennis Morgan (never more so than in that movie with Ida Lupino, Joan Leslie and Jack Carson; oh God I'm drawing a blank) and I'm obsessed over the obscure actor who plays that young Revolutionary War doctor coming to the aid of General Herkimer in DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK. 

The Hard Way.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

No, even Van beats Ray! :D

Ha!  Thank God!

Now you wanna hear something supremely weird?  I've never seen Raymond Massey so appealing as when he was Jonathan Brewster in ARSENIC AND OLD LACE.     

• Haha 3
9 minutes ago, Hibi said:

The Hard Way.

Thanks, Hibi!   I seem to be having more and more senior moments which is scary considering I used to watch that movie a lot back in the day.   I love Dennis as Paul Collins.  He certainly had Ida's number!

Oh, more crushes -- Chester Morris (although by SHE CREATURE, fuggetaboutit) and Richard Dix.  Interestingly, they both have strong chins....

• Thanks 1

Van Heflin is sort of a sissy in Possessed-Obsessed.  I find it unbelievable that women could possibly be attracted to him.  He’s got no masculine “juice.”  All that chit chat, he should have punched Joan right in the face and knocked her out.  But I guess to each his own.  Haven’t heard mention Sterling Hayden (what guy wouldn’t like to look like him?), Burt Lancaster, Victor Mature, and not sure he’s been in a noir but Richard Boone.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Thanks, Hibi!   I seem to be having more and more senior moments which is scary considering I used to watch that movie a lot back in the day.   I love Dennis as Paul Collins.  He certainly had Ida's number!

Oh, more crushes -- Chester Morris (although by SHE CREATURE, fuggetaboutit) and Richard Dix.  Interestingly, they both have strong chins....

Don't feel bad. It happens to me too. I've always found Chester Morris attractive, though can understand people feeling otherwise. I think it's his nose......

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Joan was in ROUTE 66??? What kind of part did she play???

Actually it was just her face on a billboard. Buzz got a look at her and drove off the highway.

Of all the discussions of this movie I have seen, David Sutton comes out relatively unscathed. Generally there is a whole host of sutton bashers, and they always overdo it.  He has some bad boy traits but he not so bad overall. Crashing a reception for food and drink makes him neither a cad or a heel. These terms relate to unsavory treatment of women. That attachment to the younger woman was necessary to the plot and comes across a bit forced. Puzzling is his remark about spending the money, It may be a little out of character, I don't remember elsewhere in the movie where he reveals himself capable of anything so dire. I have tried to convince myself that he uttered that statement as a throwaway line as he left Louise in the room. I did feel sorry for Louise when she was relieved to learn that she did not really kill her husband's first wife. She was excellent in that scene and I was able to feel what it would be like to deranged as she was and be grateful finding she didn't do it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

In response to lafitte (someone else's post slipped in before me).

The caddish part is coming back into Joan's life and romancing her stepdaughter, knowing full well this will upset her (and leads to her full blown dementia) And he even admits her money is part of it! He doesn't care who he hurts as long as he gets what he wants. I was quite happy to see him get plugged!

Thompson --  I'm certain Richard Boone has been in a few noirs but the only one my poor Baby Boomer brain can come up with for now is VICKI, the remake of I WAKE UP SCREAMING.   And speaking of Victor Mature, lol, he's not my physical type but definitely an underrated actor.  I've never been drawn  to Sterling Hayden yet can't give you a reason.   Burt's not my cup of tea either....Go figure. 

And, apropos of nothing, I never understood Bette Davis' attraction (and ultimate marriage to) Gary Merrill.  That persistent five o'clock shadow, ugh!   Hairy ape! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

In 'Vicky" the remake of "I Wake Up Screaming", and "The Garment Jungle" and maybe "I Bury The Living"

Thanks for this info.  I didn't see your post!

12 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Don't feel bad. It happens to me too. I've always found Chester Morris attractive, though can understand people feeling otherwise. I think it's his nose......

Yeah, it looked like Chester was possibly engaged in some boxing activity during his youth....

4 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Thompson --  I'm certain Richard Boone has been in a few noirs but the only one my poor Baby Boomer brain can come up with for now is VICKI, the remake of I WAKE UP SCREAMING.   And speaking of Victor Mature, lol, he's not my physical type but definitely an underrated actor.  I've never been drawn  to Sterling Hayden yet can't give you a reason.   Burt's not my cup of tea either....Go figure. 

And, apropos of nothing, I never understood Bette Davis' attraction (and ultimate marriage to) Gary Merrill.  That persistent five o'clock shadow, ugh!   Hairy ape! 

Yeah, looked like he'd have to shave 3x a day to keep it in check. Bette must've got a lot of whisker burn........

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Yeah, it looked like Chester was possibly engaged in some boxing activity during his youth....

Yeah, that could be........

16 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, that could be........

Chester had nice muscular arms too.  There were tantalizing glimpses of them through a tattered shirt in -- here I go again with the memory lapse -- that 1939 movie with Lucille Ball of an airplane crash on some tropical island...I think it was a remake of something earlier (now I sound like Constance Collier in ROPE, lol)

Just looked it up -- FIVE CAME BACK.

Re: Van's "David" -- doesn't the character reveal to Joan that his world-weary cynicism and lack of commitment might be the result of his experiences in the war, with resultant ennui and perhaps trauma?  There could be every reason to believe he was a much more sensitive and idealistic person beforehand.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Re: Van's "David" -- doesn't the character reveal to Joan that his world-weary cynicism and lack of commitment might be the result of his experiences in the war, with resultant ennui and perhaps trauma?  There could be every reason to believe he was a much more sensitive and idealistic person beforehand.

I forget the title too. It was remade in the 50s with Rod Steiger. (different title, I think, Odds Against Tomorrow?)

5 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I doubt it. LOL.

• Haha 1