Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I forget the title too. It was remade in the 50s with Rod Steiger. (different title, I think, Odds Against Tomorrow?)

Which movie?

I never cared for Richard Boone's bulbous nose.  Fine actor, though.

Sterling Hayden had weird lips.  Just short of blubbery actually.  They moved in strange ways.

I don't remember ever seeing Wendell Corey's eyebrows.  Did he have any?  Still, every time  I watch HOLIDAY AFFAIR I keep hoping Janet Leigh will return to him and forget Robert Mitchum. 

Some of youse folks are pretty hard graders when it comes to these guy's looks, though I find it

entertaining to read. I never really noticed individual facial features like lips or eyes. Noses are

more obvious to the eyes. I take the face as a whole. That's why I consider Ty Power a very

handsome guy no matter what his eyes look like. I think Robert Montgomery was better looking

than Robert Young. Garfield does have that been knocked around a lot look, but to me he just

looks like he's been in too many of those street fights. How about Elisha Cook Jr. vs. Raymond

Massey. One of the few face offs Cook could win. I agree about William Holden. Very handsome,

especially in his 1950s heyday. John Ireland? Well, I've read that Ireland was a member in good

standing of the big dick club, along with Frank Sinatra and Uncle Miltie. But I'll let that pass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As humans we're hard-wired to appreciate symmetry, in objects and facial features.   It gives us that sense of well-being and stability connected with survival in what often seems like a chaotic universe.

Frank Sinatra was a great singer but made my skin crawl.

Ditto for Der Bingle.

Milton Berle, eek.

Interesting that these three men were the products of overbearing mothers.  Not sure about John Ireland's childhood history.

1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Which movie?

The original. Odds Against Tomw was the remake. I think the original was -Came Back. Five? There was a number in the title.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Joan Crawford and John Ireland were very good......friends.

LOL. During Queen Bee.......

• Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Some of youse folks are pretty hard graders when it comes to these guy's looks, though I find it

entertaining to read. I never really noticed individual facial features like lips or eyes. Noses are

more obvious to the eyes. I take the face as a whole. That's why I consider Ty Power a very

handsome guy no matter what his eyes look like. I think Robert Montgomery was better looking

than Robert Young. Garfield does have that been knocked around a lot look, but to me he just

looks like he's been in too many of those street fights. How about Elisha Cook Jr. vs. Raymond

Massey. One of the few face offs Cook could win. I agree about William Holden. Very handsome,

especially in his 1950s heyday. John Ireland? Well, I've read that Ireland was a member in good

standing of the big dick club, along with Frank Sinatra and Uncle Miltie. But I'll let that pass.

Yes, I've heard that too about Ireland........

I never cared for Richard Boone's bulbous nose.  Fine actor, though.

Sterling Hayden had weird lips.  Just short of blubbery actually.  They moved in strange ways.

I don't remember ever seeing Wendell Corey's eyebrows.  Did he have any?  Still, every time  I watch HOLIDAY AFFAIR I keep hoping Janet Leigh will return to him and forget Robert Mitchum. 

Ditto about Boone's nose. Didn't he have pockmarked skin too? LOL.

• Haha 1

Chester had nice muscular arms too.  There were tantalizing glimpses of them through a tattered shirt in -- here I go again with the memory lapse -- that 1939 movie with Lucille Ball of an airplane crash on some tropical island...I think it was a remake of something earlier (now I sound like Constance Collier in ROPE, lol)

Just looked it up -- FIVE CAME BACK.

YES! I didn't see this post! I knew a number was in the title......

Joan Crawford and John Ireland were very good......friends.

Until Joan spied a wire hanger in John's closet and saw him put a can of beer on her coffee table

without using a coaster. Nothing could save him then.

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I've heard that too about Ireland........

These rumors seem to be a common topic of gossip back in the studio era. As least Ireland had something

going for him. He didn't age very well. Then many people don't.

I have a chiseled jaw,  arms like Popeye, and perpetually furrowed eyebrows. If that excites any of the girls, I can post a picture. 

• Haha 4

To me Frank looked best back in the 1940s with that greasy kid's stuff and semi-pompadour look.

After that era nothing much to brag about. I always thought Dino was the best looking of the rat

pack.  

Elisha looks a bit like Audie Murphy here:

elisha-cook-jr-5-sized.jpg

If Cook were Dorian Gray that's the photo he should put up in the attic. Not bad. For

Elisha Cook that is.

On 6/7/2021 at 1:00 PM, Hibi said:

In response to lafitte (someone else's post slipped in before me).

The caddish part is coming back into Joan's life and romancing her stepdaughter, knowing full well this will upset her (and leads to her full blown dementia) And he even admits her money is part of it! He doesn't care who he hurts as long as he gets what he wants. I was quite happy to see him get plugged!

Okay, though I don't think he romanced the daughter expressly to irritate Louise. He had had quite enough for her to do that. Nor is there any indication that he married expressly for the money. This latter was more opportunism than rank calculation. It did not appear to me that he particularly was interested in marriage, at first anyway, there was no immediate calculation to that purpose ... was there?  Didn't that come about incrementally? Maybe I'm being to easy on him. But even at the end he seemed genuine when urging her to return to her husband, etc. He is a bit rough around the edges and perhaps insensitive and inconsiderate in some ways, but he is not an ogre. IMO. He did not deserve plugging. He was a sacrifice to the plot, the object of Louise's going over the top.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, laffite said:

Okay, though I don't think he romanced the daughter expressly to irritate Louise. He had had quite enough for her to do that. Nor is there any indication that he married expressly for the money. This latter was more opportunism than rank calculation. It did not appear to me that he particularly was interested in marriage, at first anyway, there was no immediate calculation to that purpose ... was there?  Didn't that come about incrementally? Maybe I'm being to easy on him. But even at the end he seemed genuine when urging her to return to her father, etc. He is a bit rough around the edges and perhaps insensitive and inconsiderate in some ways, but he is not an ogre. IMO. He did not deserve plugging. He was a sacrifice to the plot, the object of Louise's going over the top.

How one views such a character is a reflection on the individual doing the judging.      I agree with your take here.    

10 minutes ago, Thompson said:

Warren  Oates is the greatest actor ever.

I wonder what he eats for breakfast. Maybe they should put his picture on a cereal box.

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Thompson said:

Warren  Oates is the greatest actor ever.

Hopefully, this is a joke. Nothing against Warren Oates, but best actor ever? 

Hey, I just remembered here...

Nobody's answered my earlier quesiton as to how Joan got to L.A. from D.C. in this flick?

Or is it even ever explained?

(...and if NOT, how can I be the only one here who thinks it strange that it wasn't ever explained?)

47 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Hey, i just remembered here...

Nobody's answered my earlier quesiton as to how Joan got to L.A. from D.C. in this flick?

Or is it even ever explained?

(...and if NOT, how can I be the only one here who thinks it strange that it wasn't ever explained?)

Dargo, I've watched this one several times. It's actually one of my favorite Joan Crawford films. And yesterday, for the first time, I actually noticed she was in L.A. It was when she was looking in the bank window at the beginning and the window said something about the bank being in L.A. And no, I don't remember anything being said as to how she got there.  If she was in such a catatonic state after she shot David, you'd think it would take some heavy lifting for her to find a plane to L.A., get a ticket, get on the right plane, sit through the multiple hours it takes to get to LA from DC, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1