Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

18 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Hhmmpphh! I was stacheless in my early career......

I take it you're speaking for George.

Well,  Hibs,  we all know that regardless of how handsome  (or not)  George Brent may have been,  the effect is entirely spoiled by his rear end.

• Haha 2
17 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, me too! Censor must've taken the day off.  I have also heard that John Hamm is in that "club"! Also Forrest Tucker (I STILL would've turned him down!)

John Hamm is certainly a handsome man.  As for that other,  er,  attribute,  I haven't heard.  ( but I believe you if you've heard that rumour.)

However,  it is definitely implied about John Hamm's character Don Draper in "Mad Men".   

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Apparently George S .Kaufman belonged to that club too.   (I'm surprised that part of your post got past the OTTOCensor.)

Yes, Kaufman was also rumored to be a stand up member of that fraternity. I can't remember how much of.......ahem,

Mary Astor's diary was true and not a forgery, but I recall something about her enjoying George drilling away as she

looked up at the stars or something like that. There are some others who have been mentioned. Not being censored for

that makes up when I was censored a few days ago in the Pope John thread, which I thought was a possibility. I watched

East Side, West Side last night and Van looked okay until James Mason showed up. I will add Mason as one of the

best looking actors in Hollywood, often described as moody or saturnine. And then there's that voice. However, this

was not one of his better roles.

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

John Hamm is certainly a handsome man.  As for that other,  er,  attribute,  I haven't heard.  ( but I believe you if you've heard that rumour.)

However,  it is definitely implied about John Hamm's character Don Draper in "Mad Men".   

LOL.  i never watched that series and am sorry now I didnt. I also find him attractive.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I take it you're speaking for George.

Well,  Hibs,  we all know that regardless of how handsome  (or not)  George Brent may have been,  the effect is entirely spoiled by his rear end.

The ladies still went for me! :D

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

(I'm guessing, if you had a crush on a cartoon character who was at least human, it might be Clutch Cargo?? )

And I'm  guessing you must have forgotten that Bronxie a few pages back said the following, MissW...

Dan Duryea -- I'm partial to blondes but don't care for lantern jaws

And, if there ever was a character, regardless of being a real person OR an animated one who possessed a "lantern jaw", it sure was ol' Clutch here... clutch-cargo-clutch-cargo-8.7.jpg&ehk=Vw

(...btw, I've still never thought of ol' slimy Dan as having one...nope, just a long narrow face, that's all)

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And I'm  guessing you must have forgotten that Bronxie a few pages back said the following, MissW...

And, if there ever was a character, regardless of being a real person OR an animated one who possessed a "lantern jaw", it sure was ol' Clutch here... clutch-cargo-clutch-cargo-8.7.jpg&ehk=Vw

(...btw, I've still never thought of ol' slimy Dan as having one...nope, just a long narrow face, that's all)

Funny, Dargo, but your picture reminded me of this guy from one of my favorite cartoons as a kid:

Roger T. 'Race' Bannon (Jonny Quest) – Photos and Pictures, TV Series

13 minutes ago, Dargo said:

But then again,  she said she likes Lawrence Tierney  (albeit she also finds him scary),  and he's a bit of a lantern jaw.  At least, I always thought so.

image.jpeg.adf099114a2c795f42448e3c08554c18.jpeg

Oh, maybe not.  It's just that he always looks to me as though his face is carved out of rock.  

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

But then again,  she said she likes Lawrence Tierney  (albeit she also finds him scary),  and he's a bit of a lantern jaw.  At least, I always thought so.

image.jpeg.adf099114a2c795f42448e3c08554c18.jpeg

Oh, maybe not.  It's just that he always looks to me as though his face is carved out of rock.  

His wooden performances didn't help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, midwestan said:

Funny, Dargo, but your picture reminded me of this guy from one of my favorite cartoons as a kid:

Roger T. 'Race' Bannon (Jonny Quest) – Photos and Pictures, TV Series

Yeah, I suppose there's a bit of a resemblance between Clutch Cargo and Race Bannon here, midwesty.

(...however, you know who this shot of Race reminds me of?...I think it looks like James Darren and when he got a little older and his hair went grey)

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I suppose there's a bit of a resemblance between Clutch Cargo and Race Bannon here, MissW.

(...however, you know who this shot of Race reminds me of?...I think it looks like James Darren and when he got a little older and his hair went grey)

Yeah, but did Darren have a pilot's license, know ju jitsu, could handle a semi-automatic rifle, make it with the ladies, AND mentor 2 young boys?  That's a full plate for anyone, regardless of their appeitite!

• Haha 1

And speaking of the handsome Mr. Darren...

Did I ever tell you folks about the time one of my agents at the LAX ticket counter, a very nice and friendly older women by the name of Stephanie Valentini, checked him in for a flight?

It was SO damn cute how when she met the actor who she later would tell me that she had had a major crush on since his old Moondoggie days, she began acting like a giddy star-struck teenager all over again as she issued him his boarding pass. Being raised in Italy, she spoke fluent Italian, and I remember him thanking her with a knowing wink after she called him by his given Italian surname which she had obviously known for years prior and being the big fan of his that she was.

(...I'll never forget this)

• Like 2

Hey everyone -- Ray Massey in all  his charismatic psychopathic glory is coming up tonight on TCM in ARSENIC AND OLD LACE!!

This is my favorite Capra film, even if Brooklyn is depicted as picturesque, quaint and Early American-historical.   As a Bronxite this always rankles, lol, but even I must admit that my hometown borough was never thought of in those glowing terms, at least in the movies.

CHARGE!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 6/7/2021 at 7:28 PM, LsDoorMat said:

He was a cad to the point that the height of my anxiety in that film was that Joan would stop shooting after just one bullet and not empty the gun into him. Good riddance!  He broke up with her - that was his right. She was obviously obsessed with him. He got that. And yet the next day after breaking up with her he marches into her employer's house and arranges for a job. And then keeps popping into and out of her life, always needling her like their relationship was one big joke. He should have given her time and distance to heal, but he didn't care. And then he woos her stepdaughter so he will be .... her son-in-law??? The guy had no regard for anybody but himself. 

Well, he might have strung her along and lied to her and whatever else so he could claim her good books when he approached her employer. But he didn't. And did he really break up with her? She seemed to have always expected a little more than was there, and she wouldn't let go. He didn't woo her so he could become Louise son-in-law, he knew that would be dynamite. The last thing he wanted was a rapprochement with Louise. He did not crash the party because he wanted to get married and especially to someone who was related to Louise. He married her because the script ordered it. Sometimes things like that in Hollywood movies. He clearly had regard for Louise when he implored that she accept that their relationship was not what she thought it was, and before she went bonkers and killed him, he urged her to go to her husband because he loved her and would help her. So he does have regard for someone but himself. He is not a stellar human being, but who is.

• Like 1

I'll return after ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, y'all.

Hi, Miss W.!  Thanks so much for getting back to me!  I didn't know you're Canadian!   (and thank you so much for your kind words; wow, that's generous)  A favorite romantic fantasy of mine involves a mounted policeman from one of those rugged Northern provinces....Nelson Eddy atop a horse.....ahhh!

See you later this evening.

• Haha 1
On 6/7/2021 at 2:20 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

Elisha looks a bit like Audie Murphy here:

elisha-cook-jr-5-sized.jpg

Wow, I've never seen a picture of Junior here where he tried to pass for an intelligent, respectable person.

• Haha 1

No no no no.  Are you kidding?  You eat hard boiled eggs and put the shells in with the coffee grounds into the coffee pot.  Now you can also do that with soft boiled eggs which gives your coffee a feminine touch.  Personally I like a raw one in my morning beer, no shell.

25 minutes ago, laffite said:

Well, he might have strung her along and lied to her and whatever else so he could claim her good books when he approached her employer. But he didn't. And did he really break up with her? She seemed to have always expected a little more than was there, and she wouldn't let go. He didn't woo her so he could become Louise son-in-law, he knew that would be dynamite. The last thing he wanted was a rapprochement with Louise. He did not crash the party because he wanted to get married and especially to someone who was related to Louise. He married her because the script ordered it. Sometimes things like that in Hollywood movies. He clearly had regard for Louise when he implored that she accept that their relationship was not what she thought it was, and before she went bonkers and killed him, he urged her to go to her husband because he loved her and would help her. So he does have regard for someone but himself. He is not a stellar human being, but who is.

It was probably just sex with him. She was in love. He broke up with her. Like I said, that was his right. It is everything past this point that makes him a cad.  Is that a misprint - I don't know how  "claim her good books" or "claim her good looks" would work in that sentence.  And you know how you MAKE her let go? Stay away. He was a talented engineer. There are other jobs. There are other employers. He didn't pick her boss as a boss for himself BECAUSE she was there. He simply didn't care about her feelings. He crashed the wedding party because - hey, free food and a party! So what if I am making a fool of my boss AND his new bride by my very presence at this event?  That was what he was thinking. He didn't do any of this as part of a plan. The romance with Louise' stepdaughter just happened.  But he never stopped to figure that marrying her stepdaughter would just humiliate her and send her over the edge. Like I said, good riddance. 

31 minutes ago, Thompson said:

No no no no.  Are you kidding?  You eat hard boiled eggs and put the shells in with the coffee grounds into the coffee pot.  Now you can also do that with soft boiled eggs which gives your coffee a feminine touch.  Personally I like a raw one in my morning beer, no shell.

Funny but in the movie Double Wedding TCM showed the other day,  William Powell goes to a bar (since that is where he has to take his phone calls)  and they ask him if he wants breakfast.     He gets a beer with a raw egg.      I wonder if anyone here has actually tried this and what they think about it.   

Paul Newman did it in that lawyer movie that was pretty good, where he plays an alcoholic.  That was just one egg, not fifty.  The old school way is to poke the raw egg with a pin and suck it all out with your mouth.  The noir girls seem to prefer it that way too.

1 hour ago, Thompson said:

Well,  I'm assuming you are familiar with that expression  (maybe not, one would have to be a certain age to remember this) :

"Real men don't eat quiche."    a term from the '70s,  I believe.

• Like 1

They probably do now.  Sterling Hayden back in the day didn’t ask Doll to make him a quiche, no, he said , “Doll, fix me two over easy with a side of toast, and a tourniquet.”

• Like 1

It's maybe getting a bit late to still be discussing Possessed,  but I did want to make 3 more comments about it.  I'll try and be brief   ( I know,  I know....)

1)  To be honest,  I'm a bit miffed that no one here responded at all to my observation about one reason why Joan's character would be so obsessed with Van's.  It's made as clear as was possible for a mainstream 1947 film that Louise  (Joan)  and David had been "intimate"; to put it bluntly, had had sex.  Possibly over the entire summer.  this would be a big deal for a "respectable" woman like Louise.  She was a nurse  (ie, relatively respectable ,  not a floozie), and she probably did not make the decision to go to bed with David casually.  Back then,  a "respectable" woman might have reasonably expected an offer of marriage, or at least,  a declaration of love from the man she was sleeping with.  It was not something a woman like Joan's character would have done lightly , back in 1947.   I truly think this could be one major reason why she was so shocked when David declared he did not   "feel that way" about her.    If you read nothing else in this paragraph,  read    PRE-MARITAL  SEX  in 1947 WAS A BIG DEAL FOR A WOMAN LIKE LOUISE

2)  Anyone else think that for a while,  Possessed kind of turned into a ghost story?  Those scenes where Louise thinks she sees Dean's dead wife,  especially the one in the lake house,  when Dean runs up to his dead wife's room and sees Louise, terrified,  backing against the wall and going,  "No---NO !  " , staring at something we can't see,  are really eerie.  We know it's Louise's mental illness,  but it's definitely scary and ghost -like.   Oh,   also in the lake house,  when Louise sees the buzzer ringing for "Mrs. Graham's room".   ghostly.

3)  How did this movie get past the code?  I thought they had a rule then that a person could not get away with murder.  Ok,  I know Louise is bonkers,  and that will be taken into consideration at her trial.  But it's implied that the jury will be lenient on her  -  poor lady, she was crazy, she couldn't help it -- and who knows,  maybe she'll end up spending a year in the looney bin and then be back in Raymond Massey's arms  (ugh).    It does not show that she gets any "just desserts".  Also,  Carol  (Dean's daughter)  would never ever forgive her for killing David,  so the whole family would be messed up forever.  Maybe that IS the punishment.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Thompson said:

And don't forget those pickled ones in that jar over at the end of bar, Thompson.

(...you know, right over there on the end of the bar where those women you talk with about me usually sit!) 

;)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

It's maybe getting a bit late to still be discussing Possessed,  but I did want to make 3 more comments about it.  I'll try and be brief   ( I know,  I know....)

1)  To be honest,  I'm a bit miffed that no one here responded at all to my observation about one reason why Joan's character would be so obsessed with Van's.  It's made as clear as was possible for a mainstream 1947 film that Louise  (Joan)  and David had been "intimate"; to but it bluntly, had had sex.  Possibly over the entire summer.  this would be a big deal for a "respectable" woman like Louise.  She was a nurse  (ie, relatively respectable ,  not a floozie), and she probably did not make the decision to go to bed with David casually.  Back then,  a "respectable" woman might have reasonably expected an offer of marriage, or at least,  a declaration of love from the man she was sleeping with.  It was not something a woman like Joan's character would have done lightly , back in 1947.   I truly think this could be one major reason why she was so shocked when David declared he did not   "feel that way" about her.    If you read nothing else in this paragraph,  read    PRE-MARITAL  SEX  in 1947 WAS A BIG DEAL FOR A WOMAN LIKE LOUISE

2)  Anyone else think that for a while,  Possessed kind of turned into a ghost story?  Those scenes where Louise thinks she sees Dean's dead wife,  especially the one in the lake house,  when Dean runs up to his dead wife's room and sees Louise, terrified,  backing against the wall and going,  "No---NO !  " , staring at something we can't see,  are really eerie.  We know it's Louise's mental illness,  but it's definitely scary and ghost -like.   Oh,   also in the lake house,  when Louise sees the buzzer ringing for "Mrs. Graham's room".   ghostly.

3)  How did this movie get past the code?  I thought they had a rule then that a person could not get away with murder.  Ok,  I know Louise is bonkers,  and that will be taken into consideration at her trial.  But it's implied that the jury will be lenient on her  -  poor lady, she was crazy, she couldn't help it -- and who knows,  maybe she'll end up spending a year in the looney bin and then be back in Raymond Massey's arms  (ugh).    It does not show that she gets any "just desserts".  Also,  Carol  (Dean's daughter)  would never ever forgive her for killing David,  so the whole family would be messed up forever.  Maybe that IS the punishment.

Well MissW, first, yep, your earlier point about David and Louise gettin' it on hot and heavy in his lake house over that summer, was one I agreed with the first time you brought it up. This aspect of film seemed so obvious to me too that I didn't bother replying to it specifically, although I think I did give ya a "like" on the post you first mentioned it in.

Secondly, yeah, I can see what you mean with this "ghost story" thing. I kind'a got that feeling during that part of the film, too. But you sure didn't bring THIS up earlier, now DID you?! Heck, I might've RUN with THAT one, and 'cause as Ray Parker Jr. said in his one big hit, "I ain't 'fraid o' no ghosts!"  ;) 

(...and thirdly, yep, you're probably right again about how all the characters end up)

• Thanks 1