Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tonight we've got SABOTEUR -- I'm fairly certain Hitch wanted Bob Cummings and Priscilla Lane as the romantic leads because of their all-American looks/personas which was needed in the story.  (and interestingly -- but inexplicably in my view -- cast him twelve years later as Grace Kelly's mystery writer lover in DIAL M FOR MURDER)  Otto Kruger is a wonderful villain.  Effectively sinister, especially interacting with both Cummings and the grandchild -- "No, no, Susie!"  That cottage scene with Lane's blind uncle always reminds me of THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, lol.

There's one particularly brilliant scene depicting the banality of evil -- those traitors in their car (including old Clem Bevans) singing "Tonight We Love" in droning, emotion-less voices.  They sound like the pod people in INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS.  

And, in that same car, wrapping up a character's pathology in less than five minutes, who can forget Alan Baxter's chillingly monotone speech as he describes the way his mother liked to keep his golden locks long and flowing as a child.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
15 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Tonight we've got SABOTEUR

I'm a little confused since Noir Alley is on on Sat. at Midnight and Sunday at 10.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Tonight we've got SABOTEUR -- I'm fairly certain Hitch wanted Bob Cummings and Priscilla Lane as the romantic leads because of their all-American looks/personas which was needed in the story.  (and interestingly -- but inexplicably in my view -- cast him twelve years later as Grace Kelly's mystery writer lover in DIAL M FOR MURDER)  Otto Kruger is a wonderful villain.  Effectively sinister, especially interacting with both Cummings and the grandchild -- "No, no, Susie!"  That cottage scene with Lane's blind uncle always reminds me of THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, lol.

YES!

16 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

There's one particularly brilliant scene depicting the banality of evil -- those traitors in their car (including old Clem Bevans) singing "Tonight We Love" in droning, emotion-less voices.  They sound like the pod people in INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS.  

And, in that same car, wrapping up a character's pathology in less than five minutes, who can forget Alan Baxter's chillingly monotone speech as he describes the way his mother liked to keep his golden locks long and flowing as a child.

No, actually he didn't want them (can't remember who he wanted for the parts). They were forced on him by Universal.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

No, actually he didn't want them (can't remember who he wanted for the parts). They were forced on him by Universal.

I never knew that!  Will have to check it out.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I never knew that!  Will have to check it out.  Thanks!

Yeah, I can't remember who he wanted but Universal overruled him...

On 6/14/2021 at 10:45 AM, Hibi said:

Right. We don't need more deadbeats here!

I and my fellow deadbeats resent that remark. I'd go into more detail, but we deadbeats

aren't really into that kind of thing. 

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, ElCid said:

I'm a little confused since Noir Alley is on on Sat. at Midnight and Sunday at 10.

Well its a Noir. Where else better to discuss it. Would you rather we started a whole separate thread?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Well its a Noir. Where else better to discuss it. Would you rather we started a whole separate thread?

No, I was confused as to whether or not it was a Noir Alley presentation or if Noir Alley was being moved.

Actually, this thread is about Noir Alley.  There is another thread/forum about Film Noir in general.  And yes, I know posters tend to stray from the thread topics.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Nancy Olson says it's noir, but what does Eddie say and has it ever been on Noir Alley? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, ElCid said:

No, I was confused as to whether or not it was a Noir Alley presentation or if Noir Alley was being moved.

Actually, this thread is about Noir Alley.  There is another thread/forum about Film Noir in general.  And yes, I know posters tend to stray from the thread topics.  

I probably should have posted my BLACK WIDOW and SABOTEUR comments on there.   Wasn't thinking.  (typical for me, lol)

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I probably should have posted my BLACK WIDOW and SABOTEUR comments on there.   Wasn't thinking.  (typical for me, lol)

I wouldn't worry. Black Widow sounds right up my ally since I'm a big Ginger Rogers fan.  I can't recall seeing it and the Wiki plot doesn't ring a bell. 

edit- After cruising the images, yep seen this.

• Like 1
On 6/14/2021 at 6:02 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

I'm fairly certain Hitch wanted Bob Cummings 

Hitchcock did not think Cummings was right for the part since he thought he had a "comical" face.

• Haha 1

Okay. I just now finished watching my recording of Walk a Crooked Mile, and first let me say that it reasonably held my interest for the entirety of it. 

Secondly, I thought all the acting in it, and yes even Dennis O'Keefe's, was pretty good.

But thirdly AND perhaps most importantly...GREAT CAESAR'S GHOST!!! Did I hear Perry White, okay, actually actor John Hamilton who played the editor of The Daily Planet newspaper in the '50s TV program 'The Adventures of Superman' and who played the head of the FBI field office in San Francisco in this movie, pronounce the name of Los Angeles as "Los ANGLE-les" in this flick???!!! HELL, He's playin' the head of the FBI field office in San Francisco for cryin' out loud, NOT some damn HICK!!!

(...have I mentioned this sort'a thing has always grated on my ears???...oh, I HAVE?...never mind then)  ;)

LOL

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Hitchcock did not think Cummings was right for the part since he thought he had a "comical" face.

I also find Cummings to have a comical face;   I.e.  a look that for me makes it hard to take him seriously when the character he is playing is trying to be serious.

(great face for romantic comedy like Princess O'Rourke (and he aged well).

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Dargo said:

But thirdly AND perhaps most importantly...GREAT CAESAR'S GHOST!!! Did I hear Perry White, okay, actually actor John Hamilton who played the editor of The Daily Planet newspaper in the '50s TV program 'The Adventures of Superman' and who played the head of the FBI field office in San Francisco in this movie, pronounce the name of Los Angeles as "Los ANGLE-les" in this flick???!!! HELL, He's playin' the head of the FBI field office in San Francisco for cryin' out loud, NOT some damn HICK!!!

Like Jed Clampett ? Wilshire Blvd. = wellSHY-ER. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

YES! :D

43 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Okay. I just now finished watching my recording of Walk a Crooked Mile, and first let me say that it reasonably held my interest for the entirety of it. 

Secondly, I thought all the acting in it, and yes even Dennis O'Keefe's, was pretty good.

(...have I mentioned this sort'a thing has always grated on my ears???...oh, I HAVE?...never mind then)  ;)

LOL

I've noticed Los Angeles pronounced this way sometimes in old films. Can it be pronounced both ways? (Tomato; Tomahto?)

7 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Like Jed Clampett ? Wilshire Blvd. = wellSHY-ER. 

Yep! Just like THAT, Moe!  ;)

Btw, of course one can hear the "Los ANGLE-les" pronunciation being said in many an old movie, and seems the present "accepted" pronunciation of the city's name has only really come about within the last 50 years or so.

(...although,  I'll be even happier when someone can get young Brit James Corden to quit pronouncing it on his Late Late Show as "Los Angel-LEES", too!) 

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yep! Just like THAT, Moe!  ;)

Btw, of course one can hear the "Los ANGLE-les" pronunciation being said in many an old movie, and seems the present "accepted" pronunciation of the city's name has only really come about within the last 50 years or so.

(...although,  I'll be even happier when someone can get young Brit James Corden to quit pronouncing it on his Late Late Show as "Los Angel-LEES", too!) 

Many Brits pronounce Houston as Who-stun, rather than the American way: Hew-stun

To be fair, we mispronounce their place names with more regularity than they do ours...

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I've noticed Los Angeles pronounced this way sometimes in old films. Can it be pronounced both ways? (Tomato; Tomahto?)

Well, I suppose people can pronounce it anyway they want Hibi, but you'll never hear it being pronounced in that "old fashioned" manner much anymore at all.

(...I've heard, but don't know if it's really true, that the way Jack Webb pronounced it during his opening narration of his original Dragnet series, "This is the city...'Los AN-gel-us', California", went a long way toward "codifying" its pronunciation throughout the country)

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Many Brits pronounce Houston as Who-stun, rather than the American way: Hew-stun

To be fair, we mispronounce their place names with more regularity than they do ours...

Well then, I'd say it's a good thing that Dean Martin wasn't a Brit then, eh Tex?!

(...or else one of his big hits of the 1960s probably wouldn't have even made it into the Top 40, and 'cause no one would've known what city he was singin' about, huh!)  ;)

LOL

36 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well then, I'd say it's a good thing that Dean Martin wasn't a Brit then, eh Tex?!

(...or else one of his big hits of the 1960s probably wouldn't have even made it into the Top 40, and 'cause no one would've known what city he was singin' about, huh!)  ;)

LOL

That kind of stuff is all over....

I've always more often heard it pronounced, "Loss-ANN-jellus"  ;)    Now, we have a town and lake here in MI called HOUGHTON, pronounced, HO-ton.  But several out of towners, when first reading the name, usually say, "HOW-ton".   And I think it was in here I mentioned that it's always fun when an out-of-towner  tries to tackle  CADIEUX  ROAD.  ;)  ("Ca-jew") 

And "tomato-tomahto"?  Some in my family just say, " 'mater"  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I felt relieved knowing that Perry White was in charge. There is a county in Georgia

spelled just like the city in Texas--Houston. But it is pronounced House-ton. Whatever.