Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

19 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I probably should have posted my BLACK WIDOW and SABOTEUR comments on there.   Wasn't thinking.  (typical for me, lol)

No,  stay here !  I hardly ever go on that Noir forum.  I mean,  it's good that it exists and all,  but this is pretty much the only thread I check out on a regular basis,  and I think it's just fine to discuss noirs and related topics here on this thread.  No need to stick rigidly to just the films featured on Noir Alley,  I feel like this thread is good for all things noir.  And I enjoy your posts here very much.  Please don't stray away from this thread !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Well, I suppose people can pronounce it anyway they want Hibi, but you'll never hear it being pronounced in that "old fashioned" manner much anymore at all.

(...I've heard, but don't know if it's really true, that the way Jack Webb pronounced it during his opening narration of his original Dragnet series, "This is the city...'Los AN-gel-us', California", went a long way toward "codifying" its pronunciation throughout the country)

It makes sense to me to pronounce Angeles like Angel with the soft G. Hearing it pronounce with a hard G in ANGLEles just sounds weird. Was wondering if it was the time period or what.

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It makes sense to me to pronounce Angeles like Angel with the soft G. Hearing it pronounce with a hard G in ANGLEles just sounds weird. Was wondering if it was the time period or what.

I have been born and raised and spent my whole life near L.A. I generally hear and use L.A., but if we were to say the whole word it would be Los An-gel-es.

On 6/13/2021 at 3:03 PM, misswonderly3 said:

txfilmfan, you've brought up a sore point.  It always bothers me when Eddie Muller, at the end of his Noir Alley  "outro" ,  invites viewers to comment  on either Twitter or Facebook.

I don't "do"  Twitter or Facebook, and don't intend to.  It definitely feels like a slight to those of us who like to post our ideas about movies on this forum,  which after all is the home discussion page for Turner Classic Movies, and Eddie's program is part of Turner Classic Movies.  He never even mentions this forum's existence.

And yet,  I suspect that the noir fans who do choose to discuss Noir Alley here,   as opposed to Twitter or Facebook, know their movies better, and go into more depth in the conversations about the films than T. or F.  

Switching gears:   did anyone notice that Eddie mentioned that Dennis O'Keefe had transitioned from light comedies and musicals in his earlier career to more serious, darker work?  And that he compared that career switch to that of Dana Andrews?   Was that a mistake?  Did he mean Dick Powell?

I'm not on Twitter or Facebook  either  and I totally agree with you on this. There was a discussion awhile back about Eddie never mentioning this forum. No one seems to know why.   The fans that post here are very knowledgeable. I've learned a lot in the two years I've been posting and reading.  It IS a slight that Eddie never talks about this site.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, I think it was especially up to and during the time period this movie was filmed in (the 1940s) and up until about 1960 or so, many people, especially it seemed to me those in and from the Midwest and such as my parent's family members who were from Indianapolis, would pronouce it with that hard-G as you said here, Hibi.

We had relatives who would visited us from Indiana almost every summer when I was a kid in the '50s and '60s and wanting us to take them to Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Marineland of the Pacific (which no longer exists) and Hollywood, and many of them pronounced "Los Angeles" with that hard-G. 

(...and with most of 'em I'm sure long gone now)

12 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

There was a discussion awhile back about Eddie never mentioning this forum. No one seems to know why.   The fans that post here are very knowledgeable.  It IS a slight that Eddie never talks about this site.  

Of course there are, but this board is often blanketed with trolls & illiterate posts. Worse, the criticism hosts endure here are uncalled for, often personal. Most celebrities I know steer clear of internet message boards because of that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Of course there are, but this board is often blanketed with trolls & illiterate posts. Worse, the criticism hosts endure here are uncalled for, often personal. Most celebrities I know steer clear of internet message boards because of that.

I heard that Dallas Cowboys Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman would anonymously take part on fan made team message boards during his playing career. Had more sense than to go by his real name.

A former kicker for my beloved Cincinnati Bengals, Shayne Graham, had a sister who would join team forums for whichever team he played for at the time. She'd share family photos, talk about things he'd do in the off-season and generally support both him and the team. For the most part everyone treated her well and with respect. Let the poor sap shank a field goal wide right on a Sunday afternoon though and they put that poor lady through seven different kinds of hell! Everything from how untalented her brother was to in one memorable instance cursing him to catch a virulent drug resistant STD and spreading it to the entire family at their next cookout. Sweet lady always took it in stride though.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Yes! You want a whole separate thread or Yes! discuss it here?

A whole separate thread! :D

16 hours ago, Stallion said:

I have been born and raised and spent my whole life near L.A. I generally hear and use L.A., but if we were to say the whole word it would be Los An-gel-es.

Do Spanish speaking people pronounce it with a Hard G???

5 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

A former kicker for my beloved Cincinnati Bengals, Shayne Graham, had a sister who would join team forums for whichever team he played for at the time.

Yes, it seems to be more successful when a relative. I think it illustrates how the public often views celebrities as "theirs" like a possession. There seems to be a bit more respect for a relative, maybe because of the idea they are a portal to that celebrity?

I recently mentioned WB animation director Art Davis, whose granddaughter was on a message board/forum decades ago. All we did was gush about how much his films meant to us.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

A friend of mine who  owned a bar once said "the problem with having a public place is sooner or later the public shows up".  I go to several golf forums and have found that one has to wade through a lot of idiotic banter as well. Actually, this site has less venom that some of those golf forums.  People are entitled to their opinions . As the saying goes "free speech ain't free". I just try to ignore the negative posts and sift through them to find the good stuff. 

BTW I really like SABOTEUR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Hibi said:

I am not quite sure but I asked my wife and we both think a soft "g" is used. That's not to say there isn't variations with Hispanics, since we know all people don't pronounce it the same. All I can say is I have primarily heard a soft "g"  used but I think people around here mainly say L.A.

1 hour ago, Stallion said:

I am not quite sure but I asked my wife and we both think a soft "g" is used. That's not to say there isn't variations with Hispanics, since we know all people don't pronounce it the same. All I can say is I have primarily heard a soft "g"  used but I think people around here mainly say L.A.

Interesting. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Stallion said:

An aspirated H sound. AHN-heh-less. Like in the name Angel, pronounced AHN-hel.

On 6/16/2021 at 5:53 PM, misswonderly3 said:

No,  stay here !  I hardly ever go on that Noir forum.  I mean,  it's good that it exists and all,  but this is pretty much the only thread I check out on a regular basis,  and I think it's just fine to discuss noirs and related topics here on this thread.  No need to stick rigidly to just the films featured on Noir Alley,  I feel like this thread is good for all things noir.  And I enjoy your posts here very much.  Please don't stray away from this thread !

Thank you, misswonderly.   

I didn't mean to create any divisions or disputes, though.  

I'll go with the majority on this.

• Like 1
On 6/16/2021 at 8:40 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Hitchcock did not think Cummings was right for the part since he thought he had a "comical" face.

Ha!  Interesting....

13 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Good point, TikiSoo,  but I venture to guess that trolling and illiteracy is not limited to this TCM discussion site.  In fact,  I would not be at all surprised if Twitter and Facebook were at least equally blanketed with such undesirable behaviours.     Can't say for sure, though, since I never visit Twitter or Facebook.  Maybe they are havens of intellectual sophistication and decency.

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Good point, TikiSoo,  but I venture to guess that trolling and illiteracy is not limited to this TCM discussion site.  In fact,  I would not be at all surprised if Twitter and Facebook were at least equally blanketed with such undesirable behaviours.     Can't say for sure, though, since I never visit Twitter or Facebook.  Maybe they are havens of intellectual sophistication and decency.

LOL

Well MissW, even though I'm in the same boat as you are here by never venturing into the whole "Twitter-sphere" thing, but I DO know that for about four years there was ONE regular contributor to that social media site which in NO manner of speaking could have EVER been described as EITHER an "intellectual sophisticate" OR of practicing "decency"!!! 

(...but enough about...well...YOU know!!!)  ;)

LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

AND, seein' as how we're on the subject of Eddie never mentioning this "rabble" around HERE...

I'm sure I've made MY feelings known about this whole thing. Nope, I can't agree with those who sound as if we already have a nice little group of knowledgable cinephiles and so don't need any "new blood".

Nope, I say BRING ON the "new blood", as we core members around have ALWAYS found a way to weed out the "less-desirable element" who have occasionally shown up on these boards. Well, EXCEPT for maybe in MY case, anyway! LOL

(...and so in OTHER words, HEY EDDIE, how about mentioning THIS place TOO, you ol'  Czar of Noir, you?!)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Even though I never use either of those social media platforms, I don't believe that is now the case. MissW. Donald Trump has been banned from them.

• Haha 1

I use Twitter and Facebook, but like any of these platforms, and even with this forum and Reddit (which I'm also on), you choose what content you want to look at. With Twitter, you can casually block users if their content annoys (which is usually my case) or offends, or whatever.  There's no need for an altercation. Just do it and move on.  You can choose whose content you "follow" or read.  With both Twitter and Facebook, I have followed or "liked" a myriad of different things that I like so my pages are peppered with interesting things related to Classic Hollywood, board gaming, or what have you.  With Reddit, you can subscribe to specific communities, presumably full of people with like interests.  I am also not one to pick fights with people, nor do I participate in fights.  If the discussion starts going south, or someone is rude to me, I ignore and don't continue the conversation. 

And for me, I always follow my personal rule for social media conduct: If I wouldn't say it to someone's face, I wouldn't say it to them online. 

I get the impression Eddie is focused on promoting Noir first,  TCM secondly.  He has his own site with no forum and that's a bit telling. Why bother when you can direct traffic to other portals and utilize their bandwidth and maintenance personnel.

But Eddie does have some lovely personal. 

"Yvonne says: If you think all Eddie Muller does is sit in his office writing books, let me clue you in, friend! I'm constantly getting him tangled up with all sorts of side projects: documentary films, stage shows, designing and packaging books, doing commentaries for those cute little DVDs—and that's in addition to running his film preservation foundation, or programming and hosting his annual film noir festivals! Things are always hopping around here, because I don't like to see Eddie sitting still. My job is to keep that boy busy!"

yvonne_wcap.jpg

• Haha 1

I'm really looking to The Blue Gardenia this weekend.  I've seen it a few times, and always enjoy it.  It has fun  settings like the nightclub that serves the Blue Gardenia drink    - or maybe  The Blue Gardenia is a song, performed by Nat King Cole at the elegant  nightclub where Raymond Burr takes Anne  Baxter. And I like the scenario of the 3   ( or 4 ? )  young women sharing a flat and talking about their love lives or lack of same.  Plus Richard Conte's in it,  and he's always good.

In my own subjective categorizing,  I classify The Blue Gardenia as a "fun" noir.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:26 AM, Hibi said:

I'm bilingual fluent in Spanish. I always use the Spanish pronunciation even among those who don't speak Spanish. Here in the Bay Area (where I'm from), people always say "oh you have a slight accent! Where are you from?" From which I respond, "I do? I'm a 4th generation Californian. I've always spoken this way."  I just can't anglicize Spanish words when I can speak the language. Whether I hear a hard or soft g in Los Angeles, doesn't really bother me, but there are some pronunciations that make me cringe like San PEEdro.