Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

4 hours ago, ThePaintedLady said:

I'm bilingual fluent in Spanish. I always use the Spanish pronunciation even among those who don't speak Spanish. Here in the Bay Area (where I'm from), people always say "oh you have a slight accent! Where are you from?" From which I respond, "I do? I'm a 4th generation Californian. I've always spoken this way."  I just can't anglicize Spanish words when I can speak the language. Whether I hear a hard or soft g in Los Angeles, doesn't really bother me, but there are some pronunciations that make me cringe like San PEEdro.

So....how do you pronounce  "Los Angeles" ?

I liked it too. Great acting and though somewhat predictable, I wasn't really sure how it would end. Crystal was my favorite character played by Harriette Arlene Lake (better known as Ann Sothern). She reminded me so much of my mother.  A wisecracking career girl with a heart of gold. Crystal was the polar opposite of Norah yet they were great friends.  Jeff Donnell as the somewhat ditsy Sally offered just the right amount of comic relief. Richard Conte was good too. His character was obviously self centered and a womanizer but less so that Burr's character. To watch him soften and find some empathy was interesting. Also, it was great to see Superman, aka George Reeves, before he donned the famous blue tights and red cape.  All in all I think it's my favorite Noir Alley since THE THIRD MAN a few months ago. 

• Like 3

Harry Prebble may have been louche but he is hell on wheels with a brew. That was the fastest hot cup of coffee in the history of the world.

• Haha 3
38 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I liked it too. Great acting and though somewhat predictable, I wasn't really sure how it would end. Crystal was my favorite character played by Harriette Arlene Lake (better known as Ann Sothern). She reminded me so much of my mother.  A wisecracking career girl with a heart of gold. Crystal was the polar opposite of Norah yet they were great friends.  Jeff Donnell as the somewhat ditsy Sally offered just the right amount of comic relief. Richard Conte was good too. His character was obviously self centered and a womanizer but less so that Burr's character. To watch him soften and find some empathy was interesting. Also, it was great to see Superman, aka George Reeves, before he donned the famous blue tights and red cape.  All in all I think it's my favorite Noir Alley since THE THIRD MAN a few months ago. 

You didn't mention Miss Baxter, who was magnificent. She is wonderful at being tipsy.* (as well as just everything else about her). I kept waiting for George Reeves to ask if anyone knew where one could find as telephone booth. Oh, and it was nice to see Ann Southern taking a break from being a private secretary. Raymond is the party pooper as far as Tv stardom is concerned ; it was three years after this movie that he became Perry. Miss Donnell is a sweetie. What a face!

*Anne Baxter's tipsiness calls to mind, somewhat vaguely, a wonderful tipsy scene that Ann Southern did in a movie of which I don't know the name. She was amazing. I think EGR might have been in it. Perhaps someone might know it.

Speaking of tipsy scenes, Ann Dvorak in an early movie was attempting to get a boyfriend to buckle up and get out and look for a job. She was tipsy and positively brilliant. I have been wondering about this one for ages. Anyone know it?

• Like 3
5 hours ago, laffite said:

Speaking of tipsy scenes, Ann Dvorak in an early movie was attempting to get a boyfriend to buckle up and get out and look for a job. She was tipsy and positively brilliant. I have been wondering about this one for ages. Anyone know it?

A  movie where Dvorak has a tipsy scene,  but it isn't an early one,   is  the Lana Turner movie A Life of her Own (1950).  

Dvorak has a small role at the start of the film,  as an aging model,  and mentor of the up-and-coming Turner,  that is very gritty.   

A Life of Her Own (1950) - Photo Gallery - IMDb

I've always been a big fan of Jeff Donnell so I watched The Blue Gardenia,  yet again,  mainly for her.     

I assume Donnell is known by noir fans as the cop's wife in the Bogie\Grahame,  Nicholas Ray film In a Lonely Place. 

An interesting later role for Donnell was in the noir The Sweet Smell of Success as the secretary of scumbag Tony Curtis. 

I find Jeff to be a cutie who always played second fiddle to other actresses.   

Jeff Donnell – Take Two | Vintage Venus - Beauty in classic Hollywood!The Windham Eagle Lifestyles: A Matter of Historical Record: Miss Jeff  Donnell - the film and television star from Windham by Walter Lunt

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

2 hours ago, laffite said:

You didn't mention Miss Baxter, who was magnificent. She is wonderful at being tipsy.* (as well as just everything else about her). I kept waiting for George Reeves to ask if anyone knew where one could find as telephone booth. Oh, and it was nice to see Ann Southern taking a break from being a private secretary. Raymond is the party pooper as far as Tv stardom is concerned ; it was three years after this movie that he became Perry. Miss Donnell is a sweetie. What a face!

*Anne Baxter's tipsiness calls to mind, somewhat vaguely, a wonderful tipsy scene that Ann Southern did in a movie of which I don't know the name. She was amazing. I think EGR might have been in it. Perhaps someone might know it.

I think the above say as much as I could.  I missed the outro.  Did Eddie say anything significant?

As a side note, what about all the telephone operators and switchboards.

3 hours ago, laffite said:

Could you be thinking of Housewife (1934)? In this movie Dvorak pours herself and her husband (George Brent) a few and urges him to go into business for himself.

1 hour ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Could you be thinking of Housewife (1934)? In this movie Dvorak pours herself and her husband (George Brent) a few and urges him to go into business for himself.

It could be. It was about this time. I would like to see this movie. There is a short clip of it on you tube, that flimsy little Bette Davis is actually red hot as she walks across the screen, oh my Bette I love you ... and then we get a shot of a fantastic looking Ann Dvorak sitting up in a bed looking luxurious as she lights a cigarette and bemusedly peruses George Brent who seems to be walking around near a door and doing nothing.

The short clip makes the movie have a glossy look to it that I don't associate with the one I am thinking of ... which  I think of as being early 30s but a sort of look that betray the learning process present in the very early ones. Maybe George Brent but not sure, Ann is tipsy and urging the guy to go out and find a job, all the while stumbling over herself, tying his tie, straightening the handkerchief in his breast pocket, brushing the lint off his shoulder, stuff like that. And it takes place in front of the door she is going to push him out of (much like the door in the clip). She is adorable. But the couple in my movie were poor, Ann in the clip looks anything but poor. She looks top drawer in that bed with stellar linens and a hairdo to die for, modern looking, not your average cut. Hot.

Thanks, Polly.

1 hour ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

You're likely correct that the Dvorak film where she gets tippy with a boyfriend is Housewife.    

This Dvorak \ Bette Davis 1934 film wasn't very good.     I believe that was due to the film being made in 1934 but not ready for release until August after the Code was being enforced in July. 

Nothing compared to the gritty pre-code Three on a Match that also featured Dvorak and Davis (along with Joan Blondell and Bogart).     

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I've always been a big fan of Jeff Donnell so I watched The Blue Gardenia,  yet again,  mainly for her.     

I assume Donnell is known by noir fans as the cop's wife in the Bogie\Grahame,  Nicholas Ray film In a Lonely Place. 

An interesting later role for Donnell was in the noir The Sweet Smell of Success as the secretary of scumbag Tony Curtis. 

I find Jeff to be a cutie who always played second fiddle to other actress.   

Jeff Donnell – Take Two | Vintage Venus - Beauty in classic Hollywood!The Windham Eagle Lifestyles: A Matter of Historical Record: Miss Jeff  Donnell - the film and television star from Windham by Walter Lunt

Miss Donnell's appeal for me is not a glamour bit like this, but rather that delectable sweetie-pie face.

BTW, I was disappointed in Tony Curtis in SSOS. His behavior assures him a place in the Scumbag Hall of Infame all right, but he was too much of the appearance of the pretty-boy and good humor to come across like that. Maybe he was miscast. Maybe the movie needed someone a bit more dire on the outside? I wouldn't write an essay about this or anything, just a thought.

6 hours ago, laffite said:

Harry Prebble may have been louche but he is hell on wheels with a brew. That was the fastest hot cup of coffee in the history of the world.

So yes or no on the Mickey Finn in the coffee ?

28 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

I was kind'a thinkin' this too, in fact.

This was now probably the third time I've watched The Blue Gardenia over the years and still found it an entertaining mix of drama with just the right amount of humor and humorous characters inserted occasionally into it. 

(...I remember it was during my first viewing of it a few years back as being when I began rating Ann Sothern much higher on my "Watch-o-meter", as I think she's terrific in this film)

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

I would say no. If yes, the movie would have indicated that, even if in some small way.  She didn't seem to need one anyway, she was already pretty far gone. Prebble is a bad guy he did not necessarily come across that way with her at first. Definitely a womanizer, make no mistake, but he didn't really get rough with her until she finally resisted him. I was thinking all of this at the time but yeah, I know, he is considered to be rotten.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

(...I remember it was during my first viewing of it a few years back as being when I began rating Ann Sothern much higher on my "Watch-o-meter")

Unless I'm mistaken she say's a much when trying to replay the evenings events to the reporter. Something to the effect of getting sleepier after the coffee.

13 minutes ago, laffite said:

If yes, the movie would have indicated that, even if in some small way.

Found it. . . .

Mayo: Go on.

Norah: He gave her some coffee.

Norah: It only made her groggier.

• Like 1

Eddie immediately got defensive at the top of his intro  to THE BLUE GARDENIA by telling us that many Lang fans (and I include myself) think it's one of the director's lesser efforts, and I must unfortunately agree.  The only interesting thing Muller could drum up to say about it was that hipsters who are into "Tiki culture" would enjoy the kitschy Polynesian mise-en-scene at that Chinese restaurant where Baxter has her fateful meeting with Burr.     

Waste of a fine cast -- Conte (his role was woefully underwritten), Sothern (blossomed into a wonderful character actress; I've always liked her), Baxter (not a part she could sink her teeth into) , Burr (just not believable to me as any sort of ladies man) and Donnell (she impressed me with naturalistic performances in SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS and IN A LONELY PLACE but here Jeff's pulp mystery book lover seems almost like a cartoon.

I don't think Fritz had his heart in this one, I truly don't.  Plodding all around, even dull in spots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
11 hours ago, ElCid said:

I think the above say as much as I could.  I missed the outro.  Did Eddie say anything significant?

Nope, not really. I thought it was one of Eddie's shorter and least interesting outtros he's done in quite a while.

(...in fact, it even seemed as if he might have been in a hurry to get back to his Facebook and Twitter feed!) ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Eddie immediately got defensive at the top of his intro  to THE BLUE GARDENIA by telling us that many Lang fans (and I include myself) think it's one of the director's lesser efforts, and I must unfortunately agree.  The only interesting thing Muller could drum up to say about it was that hipsters who are into "Tiki culture" would enjoy the kitschy Polynesian mise-en-scene at that Chinese restaurant where Baxter has her fateful meeting with Burr.     

Waste of a fine cast -- Conte (his role was woefully underwritten), Sothern (blossomed into a wonderful character actress; I've always liked her), Baxter (not a part she could sink her teeth into) and Burr (just not believable to me as any sort of ladies man)

I don't think Fritz had his heart in this one, I truly don't.  Plodding all around, even dull in spots.

I agree and they plugged the title song 3 times during the film....

On 6/18/2021 at 9:41 PM, ThePaintedLady said:

I'm bilingual fluent in Spanish. I always use the Spanish pronunciation even among those who don't speak Spanish. Here in the Bay Area (where I'm from), people always say "oh you have a slight accent! Where are you from?" From which I respond, "I do? I'm a 4th generation Californian. I've always spoken this way."  I just can't anglicize Spanish words when I can speak the language. Whether I hear a hard or soft g in Los Angeles, doesn't really bother me, but there are some pronunciations that make me cringe like San PEEdro.

Well,  what IS the Spanish pronunciation?

1 hour ago, nakano said:

I agree and they plugged the title song 3 times during the film....

And it wasn't that good! :D

8 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Waste of a fine cast -- Conte (his role was woefully underwritten), Sothern (blossomed into a wonderful character actress; I've always liked her), Baxter (not a part she could sink her teeth into) , Burr (just not believable to me as any sort of ladies man) and Donnell (she impressed me with realistic performances in SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS and IN A LONELY PLACE but here Jeff's pulp mystery book lover seems almost like a cartoon.

Agree. Have seen this before several times. Conte seemed too gullible believing Baxter was NOT the woman. LOL. Oh, it was a friend. Yeah, right.....I also found Baxter too over the top.

On 6/17/2021 at 10:19 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Good point, TikiSoo,  but I venture to guess that trolling and illiteracy is not limited to this TCM discussion site.  In fact,  I would not be at all surprised if Twitter and Facebook were at least equally blanketed with such undesirable behaviours.     Can't say for sure, though, since I never visit Twitter or Facebook.  Maybe they are havens of intellectual sophistication and decency.

Hardly! LOL.

• Haha 1