Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I think you are mixing up the plot with another movie. Baxter's boyfriend doesn't die, he writes her a Dear Norah letter dumping her for some nurse he met. LOL. The cad!

My wording was somewhat ambiguous. The dreaded commie shrapnel sent him back to the nurses station

where he met the one, and then wrote a get lost letter to Norah. So she lost him. Yes, pretty low behavior

on his part. Of course that led her to agree to meet Burr and then it was all bad news. That pearl diver

drink is too complicated for me. Why not go with a simple rum and Coca-Cola? 

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I think you are mixing up the plot with another movie. Baxter's boyfriend doesn't die, he writes her a Dear Norah letter dumping her for some nurse he met. LOL. The cad!

I don't think Vautrin meant earlier to imply that her soldier boyfriend died Hibi, but just that because of being hit by the "commie shrapnel" she lost him to the nurse who convalesced him.

(edit: I see Vautrin just explained this himself)

On 6/21/2021 at 1:00 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Ah.  We disagree on this one,  Bronxie.  Although I suspect the majority are with you on the opinion that The Blue Gardenia  is one of Fritz Lang's lesser works.  And maybe it is.  I mean yeah,  when you compare it to  Scarlet Street or The Big Heat  or even Rancho Notorious  ( and many others) ,  T.B.G. might be perceived as coming up short.

Ok,  I guess it's not a great film.  But for me, it's an enjoyable one.  For one thing,  I think it's fun.  I get a kick out of that Polynesian bar .   Yes, Eddie mentioned "tikki" but I don't know anything about that,  I just thought the place was fun.  Exotic Chinese food  ( the stuff Raymond Burr ordered,  I've never even heard of !)  and those Pearl Diver drinks,  the over-done decor,  the blind lady selling gardenias,  and of course, Nat King Cole singing the title song ! 

Another feature I really enjoyed was the set-up of the three women sharing a flat like that.  They all three slept in the living room ! How's that for privacy !  And they had a schedule they'd worked out,  whose turn it was to do the dishes or "make the orange juice" in the morning.  They had it all worked out, right down to sharing their clothes.  In reality, such a situation would probably drive me crazy, but in movieworld,  it's fun to see a domestic solution like that.

I always like Richard Conte, and he and Richard Erdman make an entertaining team.  And I don't agree that Anne Baxter had little to do , I thought she gave a fine and sympathetic performance as the bewildered and frightened young woman who's not sure exactly what happened and has no way of really finding out.

The whole date-rape scenario was interesting.  Now of course,  we can see the set-up Burr's character was creating as the contemptible behaviour it is.  But back then, I guess a girl was supposed to look out for herself and be careful.  Funny the double standard they had then.   It's not clear what would have happened if Norah had not hauled off with that poker.  Would Harry have raped her?  

Also,  you have to wonder what happened after he was whacked with that poker.   SPOILERS   So, Norah hits him with the poker and then passes out , she can't remember anything when she comes to, and stumbles away.  But apparently she did not render Harry unconscious, since he was up and walking around when the record shop woman showed up.    And that record shop woman...it's clear that Harry got her pregnant and she now wants him to either marry her or "help her get rid of the problem".  This was pretty volatile stuff for 1953, but of course, it's all sort of coded.  Poor record shop lady,  they really picked an older,  not particularly attractive woman to play this character.  Guess we're supposed to think Harry couldn't get any of his usual girlfriends the night he went out with her.

Anyway,  as I said,  for me , The Blue Gardenia may not be a top-drawer Lang  (or even a top-drawer noir), but it's fun.  And I'm never bored, which is always something.

Yeah, missw, we'll have to agree to disagree.  No biggie!   But I thought the same thing as you with Harry's girlfriend-in-trouble -- not one of his "lookers";  in fact, the actress, who I recognized, was Ruth Storey, the plain, very New Yawk workmate of Judy Holliday in BELLS ARE RINGING, lol.   And by the way, Ruth was married to Richard Conte for twenty years!

Wish I could find this movie entertaining but can't work up any enthusiasm for it.  Oh, well!

• Like 1

Commie Shrapnel

1 oz. vodka

1/2 oz. grenadine

1/2 oz. heavy cream

1 oz. metal shavings

Mix ingredients in blender for two minutes. Serve over ice in a highball glass

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Commie Shrapnel

1 oz. vodka

1/2 oz. grenadine

1/2 oz. heavy cream

1 oz. metal shavings

Mix ingredients in blender for two minutes. Serve over ice in a highball glass

Are those metal shavings chilled ?

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Hibi said:

Poor Anne in that movie.  That's rough--spending your birthday alone, building it up to be this romantic reading of your boyfriend's love letters, and then him breaking up with you.  I was trying to figure out if there was a female equivalent to a Dear John letter.  Dear Norah works.

• Haha 2
On 6/21/2021 at 1:24 PM, cigarjoe said:

Polynesian Pearl Diver

1 1/2 ounces Puerto Rican rum
1/2 ounce Demerara rum
1/2 ounce Jamaican rum
1 barspoon Velvet falernum
1 ounce orange juice
3/4 ounce lime juice
3/4 ounce Pearl Diver's Mix, (see Editor's Note)
6 ounces crushed ice
Garnish: an orchid

This is apparently the Pearl Diver Mix:

1 oz unsalted butter, softened

1 oz honey

1 tsp cinnamon simple syrup

1/2 tsp vanilla simple syrup

1/2 tsp allspice dram

---

I had to look up what velvet falerum was, I'd never heard of it.  This drink would definitely be a one and done for most people, with it's 2.5 shots + barspoon of liqueur of alcohol.  I have a feeling that this would be one of those drinks that could quickly get someone into trouble as it probably doesn't taste like all the alcohol that's in the drink.  

How many of these did Anne Baxter's character drink? Like 6? I'm surprised she was coherent and mobile enough to even get out of the restaurant.  I would have been a puking mess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Poor Anne in that movie.  That's rough--spending your birthday alone, building it up to be this romantic reading of your boyfriend's love letters, and then him breaking up with you.  I was trying to figure out if there was a female equivalent to a Dear John letter.  Dear Norah works.

Many men are such cads they just cheat but never officially break-up with a gal.    Their POV being:   What is gained by writing a Dear Norah letter?    (other than one's self respect for being honest).

• Like 1

I was actually able to watch last week's Noir Alley which was exciting.  I had seen The Blue Gardenia before, but it'd been a long time.  It was like watching it for the first time.

I really liked this movie.  For some reason, I always love movies that feature switchboard operator scenes.  The operator pushing the various cables into the board, seemingly randomly (but I'm sure it wasn't) fascinates me.  I loved Anne Baxter and Ann Sothern in this film.  I thought Raymond Burr was great as well--though I don't particularly see him as a lady killer.  Though at the same time, he was only trying pickup Ann Sothern (originally) so he could get her back to his place.  I assumed that he was going to ply her with Polynesian Pearldivers like he did to Baxter.  Burr's character seemed like the type that wanted action with anyone, it didn't matter who.

I laughed at how fast he had that coffee made.  It was literally done as soon as they arrived at his place.  I loved the struggle scene as one could assume what was happening, but it wasn't entirely sure what was going on.  I thought Baxter's scenes of struggling with remembering the events of the evening and the stress of small events (e.g. the woman's mirror breaking) that triggered memories of the struggle with Burr were well done.  The only scenes that I thought were a little hokey, were when Baxter was pretending to be "her friend" to Conte.  I thought for sure Conte knew she was talking about herself, so when he acted surprised, I was surprised.  I couldn't believe that he really thought that Baxter was advocating on behalf of her friend.

I know others mentioned having not been surprised by the reveal that Burr's death was caused by his jilted, pregnant lover; but I'd completely forgotten about her until she reemerged at the ending--so the ending worked for me.  I suppose it would have been a let down if Baxter really had been the killer and killed in self-defense.  That would hardly be the most exciting conclusion. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Many men are such cads they just cheat but never officially break-up with a gal.    Their POV being:   What is gained by writing a Dear Norah letter?    (other than one's self respect for being honest).

That's a shame.  Those are men who deserve what they get.  Norah will probably be better off with Casey Mayo.  Though I would really question a man who believed Norah, when she claimed to be "her friend." 

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

That's a shame.  Those are men who deserve what they get.  Norah will probably be better off with Casey Mayo.  Though I would really question a man who believed Norah, when she claimed to be "her friend." 

Yes,  indeed that is shame.      How do these cads sleep at night!    As for Norah and Casey Mayo;   I don't see that romance going very far.    Will Casey really give up chasing the gals now that he has meet Norah?      I just don't see it.    Mayo won't write Norah a Dear Norah letter.    Instead she will read about his latest romance in his column when having her morning coffee.      At least she has good gal friends to soften yet another blow to her self esteem.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  indeed that is shame.      How do these cads sleep at night!    As for Norah and Casey Mayo;   I don't see that romance going very far.    Will Casey really give up chasing the gals now that he has meet Norah?      I just don't see it.    Mayo won't write Norah a Dear Norah letter.    Instead she will read about his latest romance in his column when having her morning coffee.      At least she has good gal friends to soften yet another blow to her self esteem.

I agree.  I don't think Norah and Casey will last.  He'll drop her as soon as a new woman (and potential fodder for his column) comes along. I could also see him writing about the slow decline of their relationship in his column, but he obviously won't use names so Norah won't realize it's about her. At least initially, but by then it'll be too late. 

Speedracer - you hit the nail on the head with Conte not believing Baxter was the culprit, but rather “a friend.” I thought for sure he read through that.  It actually confused me when it became obvious he believed her story.  Talking to my bartender friend who knows Dargo, she didn’t see it as a problem.  She believed that he believed.  So he was immediately smitten and would believe anything?  Hard to swallow , but set us up another round and we’ll do our best.  No straws in our drinks thank you very much.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Are those metal shavings chilled ?

No, but they can be. People like to make their own changes to cocktail recipes.

Some substitute heavy duty motor oil for heavy cream.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Thompson said:

Speedracer - you hit the nail on the head with Conte not believing Baxter was the culprit, but rather “a friend.” I thought for sure he read through that.  It actually confused me when it became obvious he believed her story.  Talking to my bartender friend who knows Dargo, she didn’t see it as a problem.  She believed that he believed.  So he was immediately smitten and would believe anything?  Hard to swallow , but set us up another round and we’ll do our best.  No straws in our drinks thank you very much.

Yes. I thought that Conte was pretending to believe Baxter's story so he could gather material for his article.  At no time did I think that he actually believed her.  So when he acted shocked when she told the truth, I was confused and then thought "really? you believed that story?" I suppose I can see wanting to believe her because he was smitten, but he also immediately turned her into the police... how smitten was he?

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes. I thought that Conte was pretending to believe Baxter's story so he could gather material for his article.  At no time did I think that he actually believed her.  So when he acted shocked when she told the truth, I was confused and then thought "really? you believed that story?" I suppose I can see wanting to believe her because he was smitten, but he also immediately turned her into the police... how smitten was he?

No, actually speedy, Conte's character didn't turn her into the police. If you recall, George Reeves' cop character was tipped-off to the fact that Conte was meeting her again at that little diner by the bartender there. This was shown in a manner in which it appeared to be a total surprise to Conte.

(...Reeves even thanked the bartender for doing it as he and his fellow police officers lead Norah away, and with Conte ending up looking dumbfounded at what had just transpired as that scene fades out)

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

No, actually speedy, Conte's character didn't turn her into the police. If you recall, George Reeves' cop character was tipped-off to the fact that Conte was meeting her again at that little diner by the bartender there. This was shown in a manner in which it appeared to be a total surprise to Conte.

(...Reeves even thanked the bartender for doing it as he and his fellow police officers lead Norah away, and with Conte ending up looking dumbfounded at what had just transpired as that scene fades out)

Ah thank you. I must have misremembered. I recall though that he didn't try to prevent her from being arrested, right? If he really thought Norah was speaking on behalf of her friend, shouldn't he have informed the police that they had the wrong woman? If he didn't believe Norah, it would have made sense for him to not protest on her behalf.  That's why it surprised me later when he it turned out that he believed her story. 

38 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Ah thank you. I must have misremembered. I recall though that he didn't try to prevent her from being arrested, right? If he really thought Norah was speaking on behalf of her friend, shouldn't he have informed the police that they had the wrong woman? If he didn't believe Norah, it would have made sense for him to not protest on her behalf.  That's why it surprised me later when he it turned out that he believed her story. 

No, and because just before Norah was arrested at the diner in that scene, it was establisted that Conte had learned that it was indeed Norah who was the prime suspect the police were looking for.

(...remember when he first arrived there he walked to up to Ann Sothern who was seated in that booth, and it's she who informs him that it was Norah who is the prime suspect and to who Sothern then points to sitting at the next booth over from her)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

And btw speedy, Baxter (Norah) then mistakenly believes that it was Conte who had set her up to be arrested at that diner and even though he had talked her into giving herself up to the police and to where they were then heading just as Reeves entered the diner's door.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Dargo said:

And btw speedy, Baxter (Norah) then mistakenly believes that it was Conte who had set her up to be arrested at that diner and even though he had talked her into giving herself up to the police and to where they were then heading just as Reeves entered the diner's door.

I must be conflating the previous evening when Norah and Casey are talking with the next day when Ann Sothern is sitting in the diner.  

Thanks.  I suppose it makes a little more sense, but I still don't know how Casey bought the friend angle. Lol. 

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

I must be conflating the previous evening when Norah and Casey are talking with the next day when Ann Sothern is sitting in the diner.  

Thanks.  I suppose it makes a little more sense, but I still don't know how Casey bought the friend angle. Lol. 

I think that that's just a plot point that one has to take at face value.

I know it does seem incongruous that a guy as bright as Conte's character was in this film wouldn't or couldn't immediately figure out that the ol' "It's my friend" line wasn't true, but without him at first believing it, then the later scene we've been talking about and where Sothern enlightens him would have had to have been rewritten a bit.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What is gained is he IS honest with her, which is important.  He sets her free. He doesn't want her to keep on expecting him to come back and marry her.  I think they were engaged, he's not just a boyfriend.  So he owes it to her to let her know he's met someone else he'd rather marry and is breaking the engagement.  If he hadn't written her and let her know that,   she'd be wasting her time waiting for him to return to her and marry her, which was never going to happen.

I don't actually think he was a cad.  The film suggests they were engaged because they'd known each other since they were kids, maybe they just assumed they should get married.  Maybe he'd never dated anyone else.  He met someone else, fell for her, and that was that.  Stuff happens.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

What is gained is he IS honest with her, which is important.  He sets her free. He doesn't want her to keep on expecting him to come back and marry her.  I think they were engaged, he's not just a boyfriend.  So he owes it to her to let her know he's met someone else he'd rather marry and is breaking the engagement.  If he hadn't written her and let her know that,   she'd be wasting her time waiting for him to return to her and marry her, which was never going to happen.

I don't actually think he was a cad.  The film suggests they were engaged because they'd known each other since they were kids, maybe they just assumed they should get married.  Maybe he'd never dated anyone else.  He met someone else, fell for her, and that was that.  Stuff happens.

If you're talking about Norah's ex-boyfriend;  Uh,   he informed  her,  thus he is NOT a cad.    Again:  " they just cheat but never officially break-up with a gal.   

As you note;  he didn't do that.

• Like 1