Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

16 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I just want to say, here and now:   Aaargh !

I was really looking forward to the upcoming Noir Alley pick,  Guilty Bystander.  I've never even heard of this one, let alone seen it,  and a fresh brand-new , never-before viewed noir for me is really a treat.

However !  due to July 4th Independence Day, and it's being a Sunday this year,  Noir Alley is only being aired in the Saturday night time slot,  not the Sunday morning one.

Now, it's true that I actually think Saturday night is the ideal time for noir viewing, Sunday morning  (especially sunny ones !)  is not a very film noir day or time.  And yes, I did say this when Noir Alley first began  ( dear lord,  4 years ago, it was ).   But actually, and    perhaps hypocritically,  I usually catch Noir Alley in its Sunday time slot.  But this weekend the Sunday one has been bumped,  I guess for some Independence Day -themed movie.

This would not be a problem, except that  1) 12:30  am is a bit late even for me to start a full-length movie    and  2)  my husband loves Saturday Night Live,  even the re-runs,  and would not be willing to sacrifice that last half hour of that show , not even for Noir Alley.

And we always watch Noir Alley in real time, and we have but one tv set.

Why don't I record it?  I'm looking into that.  I'm so low-tech, I'm not sure how to do that.  I think my television is a "smart" one with a dvr,  but believe it or not, I've never availed myself of this feature.

Go ahead and laugh at me, everyone,  I know I'm a dinosaur.

You've never recorded anything on your dvr? I think I'm up to 98% on there! You need to learn. It's great! :D

• Like 1

This movie was supposed to play in july during the summer film noir series i do not know what happened.

The Hidden Room aka Obsession 1949 directed by Edward Dmytryk with Robert Newton Sally Gray Stanley Baker has a uncredited role as a cop. It is a very good film , Newton and Gray are very good,the ending is quite surprising, Story is about the husband's revenge on the lover of his wife. 7.5/10. According to movie  collector and it was listed somewhere else before 

12:45 PM    Obsession (1949) july 6

A jealous husband plots to dispose of his wife's lover in an acid bath.

Dir: Edward Dmytryk Actors: Robert Newton,Phil Brown,Naunton Wayne
    Runtime: 96 mins .. Genre: Crime .. Rating: TV-14 .. CC: Y

obsession.jpg

• Thanks 2

I know my TV is a Smart TV because when I unplug it every morning because that’s the way you unstick the volume which will refuse to go either up or down.  When the TV resets it says smart tv.  Now the Noir Alley post says that if you get the app (good luck with that, Thompson) then they will make it available to view again.  Can I transfer the movie (if I succeed with the app) to my Smart TV?  ( I think at one point I lucked out and watched YouTubes that came from my phone).  I wanna see this one, gonna be right up my alley.

Never mind, there’s no keyboard associated with the tv, no way to command it.  The post from Noir Alley I’m assuming is wrong when the say the film is airing at 12:30 am eastern time Saturday.  That would be Friday night, right?  

1 hour ago, Thompson said:

Never mind, there’s no keyboard associated with the tv, no way to command it.  The post from Noir Alley I’m assuming is wrong when the say the film is airing at 12:30 am eastern time Saturday.  That would be Friday night, right?  

No, this often gets confusing for me as well.  But Noir Alley comes on Saturday night.  So, it this case, 12:30 AM is actually very early Sunday morning.

I always get a kick out of the scene when Charlie arrives at the train station and all the family take one

of his bags and he just strolls in back of them with his cane (maybe recycled from The Wolfman) like an

explorer watching the native bearers carrying his supplies. I saw Guilty Bystander several months ago

on YT just by chance. Fairly entertaining, though I thought Zachary Scott as a pathetic drunk was more

interesting than Zachary Scott as a repentant one going straight. I always watch NA on Saturday night.

No way I'm getting up at ten o'clock in the morning. It was good to see ol' Broadway Joe on TV, though

his ads are starting to go into overtime. NFL players have better retirement plans than they did back in

his day. I always thought of Bear Bryant's reaction to seeing Namath with his Fu Manchu mustache and

wearing a mink coat. Yikes. Jimmy JJ Walker. Now you can get dental and vision. Constipation? Dy-no-mite.

• Haha 1

Why even question that post.. Obviously 12:30am is literally Sunday morning, however to most of us 12:30 am is still nightime and that was what the poster meant. That 12:30 am showing would be considered the Saturday night showing of the noir., The Sunday morning time slot is 10:00 am that is the Sunday morning time showing of the noir. Not at all confusing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12:30 am is NOT the night before, it is the new morning.  I don’t know about “most” people but that’s not the way it works in crime dramas.  The narrator does not say 12:30 on a Saturday night, he says 12:30 on a Sunday morning.

22 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

A national ad can be quite lucrative for an actor.  Minimal work and residual pay.

Even A-listers today do them.  Some only do print ads.  Some of them only do ads for non-U.S. markets, because they are afraid it will hurt their image here.

Oh yeah! Lost in Translation.

(...good movie) 

;)

• Like 1

12:30 am is NOT the night before, it is the new morning.  I don’t know about “most” people but that’s not the way it works in crime dramas.  The narrator does not say 12:30 on a Saturday night, he says 12:30 on a Sunday morning.

Oh well, it's really not too hard to figure out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are talking about how TCM shows movies. Are you purposely being dense? You purposely mixing up Hitchcock's leading ladies was bad enough. It showed a lack of respect  and disregard for classic film stars. Now you are taking issue with someone's post who is disappointed because the Sunday 10 am noir is not being shown. For your information, TCM considers the 12am  Saturday NIGHT showing just that. NOT a Sunday morning showing but a Saturday night showing. The 10 am showing on Sunday is the Sunday morning showing. Got it now?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

We are talking about how TCM shows movies. Are you purposely being dense? You purposely mixing up Hitchcock's leading ladies was bad enough. It showed a lack of respect  and disregard for classic film stars. Now you are taking issue with someone's post who is disappointed because the Sunday 10 am noir is not being shown. For your information, TCM considers the 12am  Saturday NIGHT showing just that. NOT a Sunday morning showing but a Saturday night showing. The 10 am showing on Sunday is the Sunday morning showing. Got it now?

Well, I dunno about Thompson here lavender, but I think I'VE got this all straight now anyway and thanks to you.

And NOW if you could explain the plot of this British flick to me, I'll be even MORE in your debt...

saturdaynightsundaymorning.jpg

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Saaay, and speakin' o' which...

Are there any British "kitchen sink dramas" that could legitimately be called a "film noir"??? Seems to me they share more than a few aspects, don't ya think?!

(...Gee, I wonder what Eddie would say?...too bad the guy doesn't hang with us folks around here anymore, ain't it...aah, but I think we covered THIS subject a few pages back in this thing, didn't we...damn Facebook and Twitter!!!) ;)

LOL

• Like 2

Purposely.  I get it that it’s Saturday night for Noir Alley.  I also assume that the post was from a “moderator “ of the board, and not some gal with the moniker “noir alley.”  The moderator made a mistake, an error, and should live up to it.  (Sticks out tongue to mrsW and blue19 and challenges them both to a game of three cushion straight billiards at 12:30 tomorrow morning at Axel’s Pool Hall).  That’s on the south side of town next to Albert Finney’s Diner.  Albert’s a friend of mine by the way.  Very good billiard player.

10 hours ago, Hibi said:

You've never recorded anything on your dvr? I think I'm up to 98% on there! You need to learn. It's great! :D

Lol.  Mine's at 96% and I have over 500 movies recorded. 

10 hours ago, Hibi said:

Is Guilty Bystander a rerun? I think I may have seen this one.

Eddie Muller said that it was a premiere.  This film was recently restored.   I read that it was considered lost because only poor quality fragments of the film could be found.  Finally the only 35mm print in existence was found in Britain and it went through a restoration. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Dargo said:

Are there any British "kitchen sink dramas" that could legitimately be called a "film noir"??? Seems to me they share more than a few aspects, don't ya think?!

(...Gee, I wonder what Eddie would say?...too bad the guy doesn't hang with us folks around here anymore, ain't it...aah, but I think we covered THIS subject a few pages back in this thing, didn't we...damn Facebook and Twitter!!!) ;)

LOL

Yes I am sure a few could be called Kitchen Sink Noirs

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Well, what's with this "British kitchen sink drama" emphasis here, Dargo? Does an American gal doing the dishes qualify for interest too?

Here's Lana in Postman.

(And I betcha it won't be long before Garfield comes sniffing around here, too).

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) YIFY - Download Movie TORRENT - YTS

• Like 1
11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol.  Mine's at 96% and I have over 500 movies recorded. 

I just checked I'm at 97%! Just dont have time to watch them. LOL.

11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Eddie Muller said that it was a premiere.  This film was recently restored.   I read that it was considered lost because only poor quality fragments of the film could be found.  Finally the only 35mm print in existence was found in Britain and it went through a restoration. 

Yes, after checking the plot, I haven't seen it. I was thinking of another noir Eddie showed awhile back with Scott. Can't remember the name of it.

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, after checking the plot, I haven't seen it. I was thinking of another noir Eddie showed awhile back with Scott. Can't remember the name of it.

Probably Danger Signal ,  although Eddie's shown a few  noirs starring  Zachary Scott.  But I think Danger Signal was the most recent one.