Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thompson, I usually do that if there is one of our frequent Florida storms which create outages but this unfortunately is not that.   I have power.  My Comcast technician unplugged a cord and the green vertical lines were still there.  He told me that's the way they test  to determine it's not a cable problem but a t.v. set on its last legs.

Farewell, Samsung!

• Sad 1

So yesterday evening (July 2) I tune at 7pm Central to watch the first in the neo-Noir film series, hosted by Eddie and Ben. I watch their interesting intro on the first scheduled film, which is Harper (1966), with Paul Newman. The intro ends, the movie begins... and instead of Harper, we see Undercurrent (1946) with Robert Mitchum, Robert Taylor, and Katherine Hepburn. Wha???  After about 2 hours, Undercurrent ends, and Eddie and Ben are back, and they do their wrap-up about Harper.  Anyone else see this?  (I get TCM on Shaw Cable, here in Canada.)

24 minutes ago, Thompson said:

And disconnect everything associated with the TV.  Recently did you get a station that talked Spanish?  Back in the day you called the guy out and he replaced that big ol’ tv tube bulb from the back of the tv.  Now they all have computer chips like cars do.

I live in South Florida; we have a lot of Hispanic soap operas.  Nothing in Esperanto, though....

In the words of Monty Python, I have a dead television set.  It has expired.  The electronic breath of life has gone out of it, lol.  It has flown up to Samsung heaven.

I'm watching THE THIRD MAN now.  Luckily any movie in black and white (or color for that matter) "tamps" the green lines down so I don't see them but they are there underneath, waiting to turn pitch black and send my set into eternity.

17 minutes ago, Walter_Wpg said:

So yesterday evening (July 2) I tune at 7pm Central to watch the first in the neo-Noir film series, hosted by Eddie and Ben. I watch their interesting intro on the first scheduled film, which is Harper (1966), with Paul Newman. The intro ends, the movie begins... and instead of Harper, we see Undercurrent (1946) with Robert Mitchum, Robert Taylor, and Katherine Hepburn. Wha???  After about 2 hours, Undercurrent ends, and Eddie and Ben are back, and they do their wrap-up about Harper.  Anyone else see this?  (I get TCM on Shaw Cable, here in Canada.)

Unfortunately Harper was replaced with Undercurrent for viewers in Canada.  That's weird that they would show the Eddie-Ben introduction for Harper anyway.  I guess they wanted to give some background on the Friday Neo Noir theme regardless.

I'm sure that must be very frustrating / disappointing.

2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

...Wasn't impressed with HARPER.  Paul Newman seemed to be slumming somehow.  Trying too hard to be "cool".   Robert Mitchum is cool.  Steve McQueen is cool.  Lee Marvin is cool.  Elliot Gould is cool (THE LONG GOODBYE).  Paul has always come across to me as a nice suburban kid playing at being a tough guy in a lot of his movies.  Shelley Winters and Strother Martin were just....embarrassing.   Poor Janet Leigh with -- what did Ben call them -- her "nerdy" eyeglasses.

Uh-huh, uh-huh, but the question STILL remains here Bronxie: What ANIMAL did Paul Newman always remind you of, HUH???  ;)

LOL

(...btw, I have to say I'm in a whole different camp from you about Newman...ya see, I'VE always thought he was just about as "cool" a customer as Hollywood ever turned out...uh-huh, just as much so as your aforementioned Messrs Mitchum, McQueen or Marvin, and way WAY more so than Elliot Gould ever was...Gould always seemed to me more the, lets say, "zonked out"  type than he was "cool")

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Thompson said:

This is terrible.  Can’t you find another one on the cheap, a dinky black and white one?

I've seen some Samsungs online (32 inch screen, which is what I have now; don't need larger and certainly couldn't afford) at Best Buy and Walmart for under $200.00 which would work for me in a couple of months when I can scrape that sum together. (unfortunately my stimulus check had to go elsewhere.....had I but known...)  Although I read that perhaps Walmart would not be the best place to purchase a television set.

About six or seven years ago I used to get intermittent green horizontal lines but it was only when I watched TCM on Shaw Direct satellite in Canada. Since I recorded films off the station I called Shaw to complain and got various customer service staff who all said the same thing: nobody else is complaining about any lines so the problem is on your end. They finally sent a technician to my house but he could find nothing wrong with my equipment.

The green lines continued for about another year and, fed up with them, I called again and was again told that no one else in the entire country was reporting any green lines. Just me. Finally I called again and got a customer service person who watched the channel on a monitor with me and, lo and behold, he saw the same green horizontal lines at his location that I was seeing on my television. He said he would report it. Time passed and I got a phone call one day from a Shaw Direct spokesperson who said that they found a faulty piece of equipment which they had replaced. I checked my TCM image and, sure enough, the green lines were gone!

It took over a year of perseverance dealing with an organization that refused to take my complaints seriously (because, they claimed, no one else was calling about any green lines). If it hadn't been for that one customer service guy who watched the channel with me and saw the lines for himself perhaps I would still have those green lines today (along with all other Canadian Shaw customers, apparently, since I was informed the faulty equipment had impacted their service across the entire country).

Either I was the only Canadian Shaw customer a n a l enough to repeatedly call about a green line issue (are Canadians so apathetic?) or Shaw was lying to me about it. If they had been receiving other complaints, though, the company would have taken the problem a lot more seriously and investigated it a lot sooner, I figure. But it sure is a pain in the azz to have to be a pain in the azz on the phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I've seen some Samsungs online (32 inch screen, which is what I have now; don't need larger and certainly couldn't afford) at Best Buy and Walmart for under $200.00 which would work for me in a couple of months when I can scrape that sum together. (unfortunately my stimulus check had to go elsewhere.....had I but known...)  Although I read that perhaps Walmart would not be the best place to purchase a television set.

I imagine you've already done this, but if you google "green vertical lines SamsungTV" you'll be treated with several articles. Apparently if you are connected via HDMI cable, and you gently wiggle that connection the back of the TV, you may see it disappear. If so, the fix is slightly more complicated but some have had success.  

• Thanks 1

And now in the same vein as the topic I brought up in this thread a few weeks back and where I questioned the sexual appeal of Van Heflin...

While watching Eddie and Ben's wraparound for Point Blank last night and where they both, but especially Ben, seemed infatuated with her, I have to say personally I've never gotten the whole "Angie Dickinson is hot as hell" thing at all. Sure, the point they brought up about her "being one of the guys" and maybe her being "down-to-earth" might be valid, but other than that, nope, she's never done a thing for me.

(...anyone here care to enlighten me about her so-called "appeal"?)

• Like 1

TomJH said "Either I was the only Canadian Shaw customer a n a l enough to repeatedly call about a green line issue (are Canadians so apathetic?)"

Tom I remember seeing those green lines as well,! I figured it was related to Shaw, and not my TV, but didn't take the initiative to do anything about it.  (sorry 🙄) I don't watch many other channels, so I never caught onto the fact that is was only on TCM. On behalf of all other Canadian TCM viewers on Shaw, a very sincere "Thank You!"

Now, since you appear to have a tech contact at Shaw, how about you get him/her to provide a high-definition feed of TCM? 😃😀

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And now in the same vein as the topic I brought up in this thread a few week back and where I questioned the sexual appeal of Van Heflin...

While watching Eddie and Ben's wraparound for Point Blank last night and where they both, but especially Ben, seemed infatuated with her, I have to say personally I've never gotten the whole "Angie Dickinson is hot as hell" thing at all. Sure, the point they brought up about her "being one of the guys" and maybe her being "down-to-earth" might be valid, but other than that, nope, she's never done a thing for me.

You can bet your life I can’t.  Same goes with Faye Dunaway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I never got it either. I'll chalk it up to her being able to hang with the guys. Jr.Soprano sure had it bad though.

zUSf9c6hw4pIjfUqTzqlc1iVRr5--Ilizzs_lAxb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Walter_Wpg said:

Well , clearly you are a newbie not only to these discussion boards,  but also to watching Turner Classic Movies.   In Canada.  

This is something I have been lamenting for a long time:  although most of the time the American and Canadian TCM schedules are the same,  every now and then TCM airs a movie which for some reason isn't allowed to be shown in Canada.  It seemingly has something to do with who has the rights to the film in question,  but beyond that,  I can't explain it.   It is extremely frustrating for Canadians when this happens.  I have often looked forward to some movie scheduled on TCM,  maybe one I've always wanted to see but  haven't had the chance,  only to discover that it is not allowed to be shown in Canada,  and has been replaced with something else,  usually something I've either already seen or am not interested in.

One way to avoid unexpected disappointment about this is to check the TCM schedule and hit the drop down box on the upper right and click on "Canada";  this will give you the Canadian schedule, so you will not expect the film listed on the American one and be unpleasantly surprised.  (Although actually it doesn't happen too often, fortunately....usually the same thing is aired in both countries.)

Welcome to the TCM boards !

9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I specifically like the gritty 1970s films.  There's just something about the aesthetic and how the films look.  All the films seem to have this flat, earth tones look that I find appealing.

Speedy, many 70s films do indeed have the flat, earth tones look, which I find very UNappealing and have named "Sepia Sludge"! However, the important thing is to notice that most of the 70s directors and cinematographers were gaga about this look.

3 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Speedy, many 70s films do indeed have the flat, earth tones look, which I find very UNappealing and have named "Sepia Sludge"! However, the important thing is to notice that most of the 70s directors and cinematographers were gaga about this look.

I like the "sepia sludge" (lol).  It has a certain aesthetic that gives the film a grittiness and griminess that I find appealing.  Perhaps it's just the juxtaposition between that and the overly stylized, produced, and romanticized classic films that I typically watch. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kingrat said:

As I recall, it was a kind of drab decade in real life too.  Lots of beiges, browns and earth tones everywhere.  It must've been a recoil against all the wild colors of the 60s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

As I recall, it was a kind of drab decade in real life too.  Lots of beiges, browns and earth tones everywhere.  It must've been a recoil against all the wild colors of the 60s.

Maybe that's why the 80s brought color back with a vengeance and everything was neon! 

The 1970s drab in colors?  I think not.  There was no shortage of wild outfits in the 1970s and hairstyles and the colors of cars were sometimes outlandish.  I remember a neighbor had a Pea Green CHEVROLET VEGA amongst other wild colors and styles available on cars of the '70s. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

The 1970s drab in colors?  I think not.  There was no shortage of wild outfits in the 1970s and hairstyles and the colors of cars were sometimes outlandish.  I remember a neighbor had a Pea Green CHEVROLET VEGA amongst other wild colors and styles available on cars of the '70s. 

I was thinking of home decor, buildings, etc.   The only colors that seemed to be used, other than earth tones, were the now well-known avocado green, harvest gold, and a bright orange.  Otherwise, everything seemed brown, brown brown.   Even TV cabinets, though now made of plastic, were still make to look like wood, with fake wood grain.

Some clothes were wild, patterns were anyway, with stripes and checks but unflattering lines.   I was not much of a fan of the 70s, even though I spent most of my childhood and teen years  in that decade.   Shortages, fuel crises, Watergate, inflation, ugly clothes (to me), ugly cars (again, to me), recession, Olympics hostages, Iran hostages.  The only bright spot to me was the Bicentennial.

The Best Decorating Trends From the 70s - 70s Decorating Ideas

Massachusetts Home For Sale - 1970s Interior Design

20 Photos of 1970s Home Décor to Overwhelm You With Nostalgia | Best Life

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I was thinking of home decor, buildings, etc.   The only colors that seemed to be used, other than earth tones, were the now well-known avocado green, harvest gold, and a bright orange.  

Deep blue was a thing there for a while, too. My mom rented a townhouse in North Dallas that had blue formica countertops and blue wall-to-wall shag carpet. I thought we were really living high. Maxwell Smart's apartment had similar coloring. 

211572.jpg

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I was thinking of home decor, buildings, etc.   The only colors that seemed to be used, other than earth tones, were the now well-known avocado green, harvest gold, and a bright orange.  Otherwise, everything seemed brown, brown brown.   Even TV cabinets, though now made of plastic, were still make to look like wood, with fake wood grain.

Some clothes were wild, patterns were anyway, with stripes and checks but unflattering lines.   I was not much of a fan of the 70s, even though I spent most of my childhood and teen years  in that decade.   Shortages, fuel crises, Watergate, inflation, ugly clothes (to me), ugly cars (again, to me), recession, Olympics hostages, Iran hostages.  The only bright spot to me was the Bicentennial.

You are right about the colors in homes, in the 70's.  My parents covered up the beautiful natural wood flooring with an avocado green carpet. Then to not leave well enough alone, my mother painted much of the natural hardwood furniture an avocado green color and tried to brush stroke some textured look into it. Obviously today, the natural hardwood floors and genuine hardwood furniture are in and desirable. Our house, which was near the ocean, just south of LAX, had more of what I would guess as a middle America look and nothing like a beach area house. 

19 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Shouldn't this type TV problem discussion be conducted on a stand-alone thread?  Others not reading Noir Alley may have experienced the same thing.

Back to Noir Alley:

I watched Guilty Bystander this morning (recorded it) and was pleased.  Not a great movie or even a great noir, but interesting.  The restoration was very well done.   Thought it was interesting that the producers decided it was easier and cheaper to bribe NYC cops that it was to get permits for filming in certain areas.

In his outro Eddie mentioned byNWR.com as company restoring lots of pictures and then streaming them for free.  They did this one.

You may now return to discussions of '70's and '80's home decore and problems with TV sets.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

:o WHAT!?!

No "rain lamps"?  Shag carpeting on the walls?  Fiber optic lamps?  Or clunky faux Mediterranean furniture?  Or those ugly square shaped wall hangings made with wood and yarn? (I forget what they were called).  Or even mirror tiled walls? ;) Or Z brick?

Sepiatone