Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

:o WHAT!?!

No "rain lamps"?  Shag carpeting on the walls?  Fiber optic lamps?  Or clunky faux Mediterranean furniture?  Or those ugly square shaped wall hangings made with wood and yarn? (I forget what they were called).  Or even mirror tiled walls? ;) Or Z brick?

Sepiatone

Macrame:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmpirPhzbcfFFadIErd-6sXVhV5Nw4XWMaQRUQoKsqjpEIC9sToxLA3PiCA9I&usqp=CAc

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Shouldn't this type TV problem discussion be conducted on a stand-alone thread?  Others not reading Noir Alley may have experienced the same thing.

I didn't mean to veer off but was just so upset in the moment I needed any place to vent, not realizing it might be inappropriate.

Well, in any case I won't need a separate thread as my technician made it painfully clear the problem was not Xfinity/Comcast but the television itself, so any further discussion elsewhere would be for me like pouring salt on a wound.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Macrame:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmpirPhzbcfFFadIErd-6sXVhV5Nw4XWMaQRUQoKsqjpEIC9sToxLA3PiCA9I&usqp=CAc

Yeah, macrame too, but that's not what I was talking about.  What I meant were those square shaped thing with different colors of yarn wrapped around a couple of wood sticks that looked like a large "plus" sign.  ;) 

Sepiatone

20 hours ago, Dargo said:

Uh-huh, uh-huh, but the question STILL remains here Bronxie: What ANIMAL did Paul Newman always remind you of, HUH???  ;)

LOL

(...btw, I have to say I'm in a whole different camp from you about Newman...ya see, I'VE always thought he was just about as "cool" a customer as Hollywood ever turned out...uh-huh, just as much so as your aforementioned Messrs Mitchum, McQueen or Marvin, and way WAY more so than Elliot Gould ever was...Gould always seemed to me more the, lets say, "zonked out"  type than he was "cool")

Paul never reminded me of anybody but himself.  Beautiful man in every respect.   Symmetrical, even features, not a dangling earlobe in sight!

I've only seen Gould in one film and that's THE LONG GOODBYE.  I love it and him!  I know what you mean about "zonked out" but I think he plays it in a cool sort of way, if that makes sense, lol.

• Like 1

I must have dozed off for a few seconds during WARNING SHOT because I didn't spot John Garfield, Jr.   The credits revealed he was a "police surgeon".   In what part of the story did Junior show up (and did he look like Papa?)

10 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Yeah, macrame too, but that's not what I was talking about.  What I meant were those square shaped thing with different colors of yarn wrapped around a couple of wood sticks that looked like a large "plus" sign.  ;) 

Sepiatone

God's eye, maybe?

God's Eye Craft Tutorial: Make Your Own Craft Wall Hanging

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I didn't mean to veer off but was just so upset in the moment I needed any place to vent, not realizing it might be inappropriate.

I, for one, forgive you. Green lines in a TV is something that could happen to us all and we should all stick together. Solidarity in the face of green lines, hail to the cause!.  And despite it's greenness there is something noir about the very thing itself. Waking up one morning and finding green lines on a television screen is a plight for any noir hero/heroine. There is something quite fatale about it, male or female, depending on the gender your particular TV set. Here's hoping you're particular noir will have a happy ending. Surely there have been noirs with happy endings ... right? Despite noise to the contrary, do let us know when you are once again connected.

:)

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You guys that are letting this thread veer off in an odd,  non-noir direction are:

Guilty Bystander (1950) Film noir - YouTube

Eddie's intro and outro were the best parts, particularly his shout out to byNWR.com. The film itself was slow. The wife fell asleep and I got sidetracked so started over this morning and watched the whole thing. Locations are interesting, camera work acceptable but nothing especially remarkable,  Mary Boland stole the show, not a particularly high bar. 

• Like 3

Not a bad flick, but nothing exceptional. Some good visuals in the dark shadows dept., but some of

the dialogue was really clunky. And Boland's apartment building was enjoyably dumpy. Kay Medford,

who I've only seen as a middle aged woman, was really sexy as Angel. It checks most of the noir boxes,

but as Arbogast said It just doesn't jell and if doesn't jell....

I think my parents held on to most of their 1960s stuff so I don't recall 1970s styles all that well, but

on a personal note I had lots of fun during the 1970s.

I think it WAS bad. A bland and cliched screenplay. Zachary Scott tries really hard but it falls flat. It may not be his fault. I have seen (as we all have) good actors act badly and it is often the result of trickle-down ineptitude (e.g., badly directed or something) though I'm not sure who to blame here. Zachary proves himself elsewhere and this performance can be safely ignored. Mary Boland comes near to some really fine moments but it doesn't last. I had trouble getting through it but as often happens with me, movies can rehabilitate themselves with me through a sort of retroactive osmosis, a residual positive rehashing that gives way to an overall general feeling of "not so bad." (Although I wouldn't over emphasize that in this case).

• Like 4
3 hours ago, laffite said:

I, for one, forgive you. Green lines in a TV is something that could happen to us all and we should all stick together. Solidarity in the face of green lines, hail to the cause!.  And despite it's greenness there is something noir about the very thing itself. Waking up one morning and finding green lines on a television screen is a plight for any noir hero/heroine. There is something quite fatale about it, male or female, depending on the gender your particular TV set. Here's hoping you're particular noir will have a happy ending. Surely there have been noirs with happy endings ... right? Despite noise to the contrary, do let us know when you are once again connected.

:)

Thank you my friend!  Ha!   Those green lines go beyond noir -- they look to me like some of that faded, creepy color from 1932's DR. X.  ("Synthetic flesh!")  Terrifying!

Found GUILTY BYSTANDER on YouTube.

Bad print, murky all around, hard to get through.   I gave up halfway but will probably try again soon.

On the plus side, Zachary is shown a few times in an undershirt.   He's no Marlon Brando in that department but it was indeed a welcome sight, lol.

• Haha 2
29 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Found GUILTY BYSTANDER on YouTube.

Bad print, murky all around, hard to get through.   I gave up halfway but will probably try again soon.

On the plus side, Zachary is shown a few times in an undershirt.   He's no Marlon Brando in that department but it was indeed a welcome sight, lol.

So . . . good ears, right?

• Haha 2
48 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

On the plus side, Zachary is shown a few times in an undershirt.

A propos, I watched the beginning of Harper just this morning and I actually thought of you. The movie opens with Paul Newman in his skivvies. Thoughts?

; -- )

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Stallion said:

You are right about the colors in homes, in the 70's.  My parents covered up the beautiful natural wood flooring with an avocado green carpet. Then to not leave well enough alone, my mother painted much of the natural hardwood furniture an avocado green color and tried to brush stroke some textured look into it. Obviously today, the natural hardwood floors and genuine hardwood furniture are in and desirable. Our house, which was near the ocean, just south of LAX, had more of what I would guess as a middle America look and nothing like a beach area house. 

If you're talkin' about El Segundo here Stallion, then you probably know this city was often referred to as "Des Moines by the Sea" back in the day, don't ya.

(...this old fellow South Bay boy here clearly remember this)

19 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

God's eye, maybe?

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

If you're talkin' about El Segundo here Stallion, then you probably know this city was often referred to as "Des Moines by the Sea" back in the day, don't ya.

(...this old fellow South Bay boy here clearly remember this)

19 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Oh!  And hanging ferns and spider plants.  ;) 

Sepiatone

19 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

God's eye, maybe?

Time to start a thread about home décor and similar?