Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 hours ago, mr6666 said:
......While a few 2000s films would carry on the noir tradition—including Brick, Out of Time, Drive, Winter’s Bone, and Steven Soderbergh’s recent No Sudden Move—the genre’s popularity began a visible decline, at least among studio executives, thanks to the same culprit that slowed down the original noir streak in the ’50s: television.....................

Television and the younger audience demographic more willing to shell out money for men in tights Superhero action films. 

Noir fans might be interested in a black and white homage to the genre done on the old Moonlighting TV series, The Dream Sequence Always Rings Twice. Cybill Sherpherd plays a swanky nightclub singer and Bruce Willis is a trumpet player with attitude. Cybill looks terrific and very sexy singing "Blue Moon" with confidence. Orson Welles introduced the episode which was dedicated to him as it was his last appearance before a camera, dying suddenly before the episode aired on television. This episode can be found on You Tube.

Here's another song from the episode

That closeup hair toss that Cybill does in this scene. Anyone else think of Gilda when they saw it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Bruce Willis is a trumpet player

Looks like Bruce plays all instruments! Cybil brings it.

I loved Moonlighting. One off the few shows I followed.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Looks like Bruce plays all instruments! Cybil brings it.

I loved Moonlighting. One off the few shows I followed.

Moonlighting was funny, sexy, irreverent, full of clever homages to various film genres, and the two stars had great chemistry. For the first three seasons it was a great show. Everything seemed to slowly fall apart after that but at least the series ended on another clever, inventive finale in which the two lead characters, after learning that the series had just been cancelled, wander around the studio sets where it was filmed trying to see if there is a way to save the show. Those were the days when Bruce Willis gave a performance.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, mr6666 said:

......While a few 2000s films would carry on the noir tradition—including Brick, Out of Time, Drive, Winter’s Bone, and Steven Soderbergh’s recent No Sudden Move—the genre’s popularity began a visible decline, at least among studio executives, thanks to the same culprit that slowed down the original noir streak in the ’50s: television.....................

Watched No Sudden Move last week on HBOMax.  Didn't recognize it as Neo-Noir so much as just another crime movie.  Not sure, but I think I saw a Highway Patrol TV show with the same type bank robbery style or maybe some other TV show.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

It was Canada actually, far northern Canada...

OK. Somewhat better! :D

17 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Ah well, this'll have to be one of those "agree to disagree" things.  But anyway,  my feeling bad for the "unsympathetic" husband Nick is not the only reason why I don't like The Postman Always Rings Twice.  I don't really know why it doesn't work for me, it just doesn't.  But then,  I don't much like The Lady from Shanghai, another film often listed as one of the top 10 iconic noirs.  I am perverse.  sorry.

I do agree about THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI,  but think you "overthink" "Postman" in not realizing feeling bad for Nick IS a salient part of the story.   You asked if Nick being a bit dumb and naive was justification for murder.  Well, MOST Noirs that have a murder in them is also a case of the victim not deserving of being murdered.   That's the friggin' POINT! :rolleyes:  If Cora and Frank didn't kill Nick and simply ran off together then there'd have been no story worth the time it would take to film. 

As far as Lana goes, I could take her or leave her.  As both an actress AND a supposed "beauty".    I mean, she doesn't really turn me off, but doesn't really get the juices flowing.  ;)  But then...

My wife thought I was good looking, and I couldn't understand that either.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I do agree about THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI,  but think you "overthink" "Postman" in not realizing feeling bad for Nick IS a salient part of the story.   You asked if Nick being a bit dumb and naive was justification for murder.  Well, MOST Noirs that have a murder in them is also a case of the victim not deserving of being murdered.   That's the friggin' POINT!      If Cora and Frank didn't kill Nick and simply ran off together then there'd have been no story worth the time it would take to film. 

Sepiatone,  I get frustrated when I GO OUT OF MY WAY TO CLARIFY something,  only to have it disregarded.  Yes,  of course.  That's a big part of what film noir is all about-- people who don't deserve to be murdered getting murdered.  Do you really think I've become such a fan of this style of film all these years without knowing and accepting that?   OF COURSE I KNOW IT'S THE FRIGGING POINT  !    

And because of that,  I acknowledged that is often a major part of the story in a film noir.  Maybe you didn't read this part of my post:

20 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

But even aside from the  "poor guy doesn't deserve to be murdered"  thing I have   ( after all,  if I were repelled by every noir that featured the murder of an innocent person I'd watch precious few noirs),  The Postman  Always Rings Twice  is one of my least favourite  noirs.  It doesn't entertain me in the way most noirs do.  I find it kind of dreary.    I probably wouldn't be so negative about it if it weren't regarded as one  of the top ten most classic noirs of all time blahblah.  Not for me.

Now,  sorry to get all cranky and assail you with block caps and all,  but I would think that you'd know I was aware of that aspect of film noir by now:  innocent people getting killed.

....although, come to think of it,  there are many noirs where only the guilty get killed.  There are a lot of noirs about attempted murders of unsuspecting innocents,  but often they don't actually come off.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll apologize as well.  And I know the feeling as it can(with some adjustment) be companion to how I feel about BRINGING UP BABY.  You know, that "regarded as one of the top" thing.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I'll apologize as well.  And I know the feeling as it can(with some adjustment) be companion to how I feel about BRINGING UP BABY.  You know, that "regarded as one of the top" thing.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I once had to write an essay about "Bringing Up Baby".  It's funny, because at first I really disliked it and like you,  couldn't understand why it's considered such a great "screwball comedy".  I just found it annoying.

But I had to watch it about 3 times in order to write the essay,  and by the end of the 3rd viewing,  I'd come to like it,  mainly in self-defence .

I do get why you'd find "Bringing Up Baby" irritating, though,  and maybe find it even more irritating that a movie you dislike is elevated to  "one of the top in its genre" status.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking for myself I have always found Bringing Up Baby to be one of the most exciting of all film noirs. Let's face it, this film's got it all.

Gun molls

Best Bringing Up Baby GIFs | Gfycat

People Being Followed

Howard Hawks' BRINGING UP BABY (1938) Pains my Intercostal Clavicle – Once  upon a screen…

Reckless Driving

BRINGING UP BABY ( 1938 ) – In The Good Old Days Of Classic Hollywood.

Suspicious Characters

Cary Grant in “Bringing Up Baby”, 1938 | MATTHEW'S ISLAND

Sex Appeal

People Wearing Disguises

A Year With Kate: Bringing Up Baby (1938) - Blog - The Film Experience

Cat Burglars

Name the Last Movie You Watched in Your Home Theater - Page 2639 - Blu-ray  Forum

Attack Dogs

Bringing Up Baby | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

And, of course, Bodies Being Destroyed

Top 30 Bringing Up Baby GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

• Haha 12

How do you folks do all the stuff that you do on this board, all the pictures and videos?  Just super and very entertaining, first rate!

• Like 1

Woke up this morning and decided the bartender at Buffa’s had every right to 86 me, but he had no right to confiscate my five spot on the bar along with a full Budweiser.  The full Budweiser really stuck in my craw.  So I took the bus down to the Quarter to square things up.  I grabbed him by the arm and gave him a rope burn. He tried to twist away but I roped burned even harder.  I said, “Look here Hubsby (that’s what he’s called), I wouldn’t mess around with me these days if I were you, I gotta bunch of new tough customer friends just itching for a fight.”

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
9 hours ago, TomJH said:

...Those were the days when Bruce Willis gave a performance.

Didn't know getting Alopecia affected some actors this way sometimes, eh Tom???  ;)

(...yep, sometimes after the hair goes, that whole "I just don't give a crap anymore" attitude rears its ugly head, alright!)

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Thompson said:

Woke up this morning and decided the bartender at Buffa’s had every right to 86 me, but he had no right to confiscate my five spot on the bar along with a full Budweiser.  The full Budweiser really stuck in my craw.  So I took the bus down to the Quarter to square things up.  I grabbed him by the arm and gave him a rope burn. He tried to twist away but I roped burned even harder.  I said, “Look here Hubsby (that’s what he’s called), I wouldn’t mess around with me these days if I were you, I gotta bunch of new tough customer friends just itching for a fight.”

Saaay, I think I remember reading this very thing in one of Ross MacDonald's books?!!!

(....suuure, it was in 'Lew Archer Gets a Hickey'  if I recall correctly!)

• Haha 3
51 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Didn't know getting Alopecia affected some actors this way sometimes, eh Tom???  ;)

(...yep, sometimes after the hair goes, that whole "I just don't give a crap anymore" attitude rears its ugly head, alright!)

So you figure it's a hair follicle issue, do you, Dargo? Then someone give Bruce Willis a toupee quick so he can start earning his pay again when he takes on a film role.

Bruce willis GIF on GIFER - by Nizilkree

On the other hand, maybe that isn't such a good idea.

• Haha 2

Kind of a similar topic, but the Criterion Channel is currently offering a 26-film "Neo-Noir" collection; several movies from the 70s, 80s, and present day. I am very excited to watch all 26 (minus the four I've already seen). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, TomJH said:

Speaking for myself I have always found Bringing Up Baby to be one of the most exciting of all film noirs. Let's face it, this film's got it all.

Gun molls

People Being Followed

Howard Hawks' BRINGING UP BABY (1938) Pains my Intercostal Clavicle – Once  upon a screen…

Reckless Driving

BRINGING UP BABY ( 1938 ) – In The Good Old Days Of Classic Hollywood.

Suspicious Characters

Cary Grant in “Bringing Up Baby”, 1938 | MATTHEW'S ISLAND

Sex Appeal

People Wearing Disguises

A Year With Kate: Bringing Up Baby (1938) - Blog - The Film Experience

Cat Burglars

Name the Last Movie You Watched in Your Home Theater - Page 2639 - Blu-ray  Forum

Attack Dogs

Bringing Up Baby | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

And, of course, Bodies Being Destroyed

Top 30 Bringing Up Baby GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

17967-Audience-Clapping-Gif.gif?1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 7/7/2021 at 4:40 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Actually,  I'm going to come right out and say The Postman Always Rings Twice, iconic noir though it is supposed to be,  leaves me cold.  I don't like the two main characters,   -- and I'm generally a Garfield fan -- and their story is not interesting to me.  I don't know why,  theoretically it checks all the boxes.  I think it's partly because I feel sorry for Lana's husband,  the poor guy just doesn't deserve to be offed like that.  You'd think they would have taken it as a sign to leave him alone when the carefully calibrated plan to do him in doesn't work the first time....but no,  if at first you don't succeed, try, try , again.   I mean poor old Nick,  he trusts Frank and likes him.  Ok,  maybe he's a bit dumb and naive,  but since when were those qualities justification for murder?

It's a bit different with the slightly similar plot device in Double Indemnity  (  ok,  very different story but the trope of murdering the femme fatale's husband for cash is the same).  This is because unlike poor NIck Smith the diner owner in Postman,  Stanwyck's  husband is quite nasty and ill-tempered and dislikable.  So although he doesn't deserve the fate  Babs and Fred dole out to him,  you don't feel sorry for  him the way you do for Nick.  That's my take, anyway.

But even aside from the  "poor guy doesn't deserve to be murdered"  thing I have   ( after all,  if I were repelled by every noir that featured the murder of an innocent person I'd watch precious few noirs),  The Postman  Always Rings Twice  is one of my least favourite  noirs.  It doesn't entertain me in the way most noirs do.  I find it kind of dreary.    I probably wouldn't be so negative about it if it weren't regarded as one  of the top ten most classic noirs of all time blahblah.  Not for me.

I hate Nick!  Clueless, cheap, probably a dud in the sack, and not as amiable as he appears.

LOL

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I hate Nick!  Clueless, cheap, probably a dud in the sack, and not as amiable as he appears.

Are you sure that's all there is? Not anything else bothers you about Nick?

S23FX05.jpg

• Haha 3

VERY EXCITED TO SEE THIS ON THE SCHEDULE AGAIN:

THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE

See the source image

They showed it a long time ago on TCM and I recall thinking that it's a pretty simple story, but MITCHUM is great and he invests himself into playing a TOTAL LOSER with the same intensity that RICHARD WIDMARK did in NIGHT AND THE CITY.

On 7/7/2021 at 5:28 PM, Hibi said:

Lana's hubby wasn't so nice. He was going to uproot her and take him to his (sisters?) and make her work and take care of her in the Ozarks somewhere. I would've offed him for that!

12 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

LOL

Boy, when you guys hate you don't mess around about it. It's like you've seen too many Lawrence Tierney films.

I mean, old Nick wasn't that bad a guy. A little slow on the uptake, perhaps, and a bit insensitive, I suppose, but no worse than a thousand others guys I've met. I hope nobody leaves the cap off the toothpaste tubes in your homes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

LOL

Could you imagine sleeping with that dork???? LOL.

• Haha 1