Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

VERY EXCITED TO SEE THIS ON THE SCHEDULE AGAIN:

THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE

See the source image

They showed it a long time ago on TCM and I recall thinking that it's a pretty simple story, but MITCHUM is great and he invests himself into playing a TOTAL LOSER with the same intensity that RICHARD WIDMARK did in NIGHT AND THE CITY.

Have wanted to see this also. Missed it last time was on TCM!

10 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Have wanted to see [THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE]also. Missed it last time was on TCM!

as i recall (and we ALL know how well I recall things) the movie itself is a little underwhelming, but it is worth it to see MITCHUM give such a confident, naturalistic performance (honestly, his every scene feels like it was all done in one take, and I mean that as a compliment.)

also, fans of 1970s LAND YACHTS are in for a treat.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Boy, when you guys hate you don't mess around about it. It's like you've seen too many Lawrence Tierney films.

I mean, old Nick wasn't that bad a guy. A little slow on the uptake, perhaps, and a bit insensitive, I suppose, but no worse than a thousand others guys I've met. I hope nobody leaves the cap off the toothpaste tubes in your homes.

lol, it's true, I am somewhat picky.

Okay, you can leave out the "somewhat".

That's my Venus in Virgo.  (see Star Sign thread)

12 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Are you sure that's all there is? Not anything else bothers you about Nick?

S23FX05.jpg

You're right!  But I never noticed this until now!   I mean, at least with Garfield and Gable there are other compensations in the overall desirability factors, lol.

• Haha 1
44 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

WHO and I mean WHO could POSSIBLY HAVE FORESEEN A MAJOR GAS CRISIS ON THE HORIZON WHEN NAVIGATING OUR GREAT HIGHWAYS, BYWAYS AND ROADS IN THESE 35-FOOT LONG CHARIOTS OF STEEL?

They look like small tanks to me!

On 7/7/2021 at 11:55 PM, Moe Howard said:

I saw The Heartbreak Kid when I was 15 and I haven't been the same.

tumblr_ppjrb6x3YN1tqmrgs_1280.png

You guys think I'm harsh on an actor's looks --  what about Pauline Kael, who famously (or infamously) once wrote that Cybill Shepherd looked like "Mussolini in drag".

For the record, I do not agree with her.

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

It could be worse, though --

Hume Cronyn.

Kellaway, for me, would be worse! Guess Jessica Tandy, didn't mind! At least Cronyn was in shape.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

You guys think I'm harsh on an actor's looks --  what about Pauline Kael, who famously (or infamously) once wrote that Cybill Shepherd looked like "Mussolini in drag".

For the record, I do not agree with her.

I thought it was John Simon? Either way a cruel thing to say and stupid. Like Kael was some prize? (Or Simon).

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

It could be worse, though --

Hume Cronyn.

I just saw Hume Cronyn  in a 1948 rom-com, The Bride Goes Wild.  He plays the publisher of a children's book company.  He's quite funny,  in an under-stated goofy Hume-Cronyn-ish way. 

And contrast that performance,  and maybe the one in Shadow of a Doubt,  with the evil sadistic prison guard in Brute Force.  Pretty versatile actor.

You know,  it would never even occur to me to think about actors like Hume Cronyn or that guy who played Nick in The Postman Always Rings Twice   ( Cecil Kellaway ) as possible romantic partners.  These guys were character actors, and were never meant to be discussed as  male eye candy  (or the opposite !)  -- the poor homely men never even aspired to anything like that.  So maybe it's a little unfair of us ladies to critique them as though they're in the same ball park as Burt Lancaster or Cary Grant  (wait,  I remember,  you're not too impressed with them either ! )

It would be like men making jokes about Hope Emerson or Mary Wickes  not being desirable enough...who expects them to be ?

I know you and Hibi are just having fun, and it is funny to contemplate the ridiculousness of someone like Cecil Kellaway ever playing somebody's sexy husband,  'cause it would just never happen !  But to me there's no point in putting actors like him and Hume Cronyn  - hey, let's add Wallace Beery to the list !    and Broderick Crawford !  oh, and Elisha Cook Jr !    (  all these guys are either too skinny or too fat, for starters)   to the list -  on anywhere even remotely near the category of leading men like ,  maybe ,  William Holden  (when he was young)  or  Clark Gable  ( I know !  the ears !)

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

what about Pauline Kael, who famously (or infamously) once wrote that Cybill Shepherd looked like "Mussolini in drag".

This Pauline Kael ? EEEEEEEKKKKKKK! I'll take "Mussolini in drag" any day over Paul Ford in drag.

3783cb34f2773ff963fe54be6cdf45740f-06-pa

• Haha 4

I can ID some of the cars in the pictures above.  That cream-colored car is a Buick.   The brown car is a 1970 Ford and the yellow-ish car to its right looks like a Plymouth.  I've always liked "Land Yachts" . . . I used to own one:  A 1967 Lincoln Continental with the suicide doors.  I wished I didn't have to sell it, but I didn't drive it enough and it's hungry 'n' thirsty '462' needed to be driven.

Contrast that with the '170' in my '64 Falcon. 

I'm a sucker for big ol' cars from the mid-60s through the late '70s. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

My God she looks like Mitch McConnell.

She does  !   That's really funny,  Mitch McConnell  has such a silly-looking face. 

Hey, Lorna,  I've been meaning to ask you, now that you're back on the Noir Alley thread ....I know you're a big fan of Joan-o-dramas, yet no posts from you  when Eddie M. aired Possessed a few weeks ago.  Did you catch it?  Whad'ya think of it?

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

as i recall (and we ALL know how well I recall things) the movie itself is a little underwhelming, but it is worth it to see MITCHUM give such a confident, naturalistic performance (honestly, his every scene feels like it was all done in one take, and I mean that as a compliment.)

The Friends of Eddie Coyle is so good, and a perfect example of a "neo-noir".   And that trademark Mitchum thing,  that air of weariness and resignation,  of "what's the use?",  is on display more than ever in this latter -day Mitchum vehicle  ( no pun intended there.)

Bob looks all sort of crumpled up in this one.  Psychologically and physically.   But then, he always looked a little crumpled,  even in his hey-day.  I always liked that about him.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I thought it was John Simon? Either way a cruel thing to say and stupid. Like Kael was some prize? (Or Simon).

You're right, Hibi, I'm wrong!  It was John Simon, just looked it up.    

On 7/7/2021 at 3:09 PM, TomJH said:

Garfield said, "Our eyes would meet and we both knew we were going to have to do it. It was like you couldn't let the home team down. Everyone was waiting for it."

According to author Robert Nott's He Ran All the Way the "it" happened after director Tay Garnett went on a bender in the middle of production after the cast and crew located to San Clemente Beach. Filming came to halt, Garfield and Turner were hanging out together and, . . . well. Though it turned out to be a one night stand the two actors remained on friendly terms with one another. Garfield's wife may have had suspicions and showed up at the beach site on a number of occasions. There is even a picture of Lana and Garfield relaxing on the beach together, with a woman in the background who maybe, just maybe, was Mrs. Garfield observing them.

John Garfield and Lana Turner in Laguna Beach, filming THE POSTMAN – Once  upon a screen…

I'm not certain if this is the photo to which Nott referred. One source said this is actually Laguna Beach, where they first started filming the beach scene.

Wow, thanks for this info, Tom.   And I have never seen that photo.   Lana I believe was between husbands at the time but Garfield was still married to his childhood sweetheart.   These actors, no impulse control at all.  

17 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

This Pauline Kael ? EEEEEEEKKKKKKK! I'll take "Mussolini in drag" any day over Paul Ford in drag.

3783cb34f2773ff963fe54be6cdf45740f-06-pa

lol you watch your phraseology!  Ye gods!

Wallace Beery. UGH. Even worse than Cecil Kellaway!

I think its fair game for Kellaway, though, as we are supposed to believe LANA TURNER would marry this guy??? GET REAL! I know it's not really LANA, but someone who looked like her would've never sold herself THAT short whatever the circumstances!

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

You're right, Hibi, I'm wrong!  It was John Simon, just looked it up.    

Kael could be cruel, too, in her way........