Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

28 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

The hood was heavy. 

my great aunt in MYRTLE BEACH, SC  had a POWDER BLUE late 70's LINCOLN CONTINENTAL and THE HOOD ON THAT THING WAS MASSIVE. I hope they had titanium rods to prevent 1970's mechanics from being snapped in two

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OH NO! You guys know about MITCH McCONNELL IN CANADA?

I was REALLY HOPING we were keeping him a secret.

I have been going through a strange period where I have not been watching classic movies. sometimes during the summer I switch over to more modern or off-beat fare.

Ah.  Hence your thread about TCM Underground.  

By the way, Lorna,  EVERYONE  knows about Mitch McConnell.  And his voice is almost as silly as his face.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

VERY EXCITED TO SEE THIS ON THE SCHEDULE AGAIN:

THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE

See the source image

They showed it a long time ago on TCM and I recall thinking that it's a pretty simple story, but MITCHUM is great and he invests himself into playing a TOTAL LOSER with the same intensity that RICHARD WIDMARK did in NIGHT AND THE CITY.

Oh yes, this is good one.  The pacing is so good.  Can’t remember the music, I’m sure it’s going to be great

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Thompson said:

Oh yes, this is good one.  The pacing is so good.  Can’t remember the music, I’m sure it’s going to be great

I’m thinking lots of “wah-wahs” and bass guitar. 

1 hour ago, Thompson said:

The music \ score for Friends of Eddie Coyle,  was by Dave Grusin.    A fine jazz pianist,  as well as composer,  record producer and arranger. 

The film is a first rate neo-noir and one I saw on the big screen in L.A.  CA,  in the 90s since,  at that time,  in La La Land,  the film was a neo-noir cult classic.

• Like 1

I don't remember which film critic it was who said something along the lines of  "Lana Turner effectively plays a woman who hides her sweaty, murderous impulses beneath an innocent white wardrobe and breathy baby voice"

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

WHO and I mean WHO could POSSIBLY HAVE FORESEEN A MAJOR GAS CRISIS ON THE HORIZON WHEN NAVIGATING OUR GREAT HIGHWAYS, BYWAYS AND ROADS IN THESE 35-FOOT LONG CHARIOTS OF STEEL?

See Veblen on "conspicuous consumption."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Surprised that the line up is this way tonight

July 9
    08:00 PM   Get Carter (1971)
    10:00 PM   The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973)
    12:00 AM   Chinatown (1974)

Get Carter has some nudity the other two don't the usual M .O.  for TCM is to show flesh late night. Maybe TCM is finally growing up, lol

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I don't remember which film critic it was who said something along the lines of  "Lana Turner effectively plays a woman who hides her sweaty, murderous impulses beneath an innocent white wardrobe and breathy baby voice"

Yes,  I find her breathy baby voice annoying.  As I think of other Lana Turner movies, though,  I don't believe she always sounded like that,  it seemed to be something she took on for that role.  I especially disliked her baby voice in the scene where she's obliquely suggesting to Frank that  "there is something we could do...",  meaning they could kill Nick, this while she toys with Frank's shirt buttons or something, all babyish and yet sexy.

Oddly enough, although Marilyn Monroe also exercised the breathy baby voice , in fact she used it a lot more than Lana Turner,  it doesn't annoy me when Marilyn does it.  Maybe because it seems less calculated,  although it probably was  (calculated.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Oddly enough, although Marilyn Monroe also exercised the breathy baby voice , in fact she used it a lot more than Lana Turner,  it doesn't annoy me when Marilyn does it.  Maybe because it seems less calculated,  although it probably was  (calculated.)

That's a great point.  Lana is sexy in TPART, no doubt about it. But there is a large 'use at your own risk' sign on her.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

lol, it's true, I am somewhat picky.

Okay, you can leave out the "somewhat".

That's my Venus in Virgo.  (see Star Sign thread)

No, dear, you are not picky.  You are discriminating.

9 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

You guys think I'm harsh on an actor's looks --  what about Pauline Kael, who famously (or infamously) once wrote that Cybill Shepherd looked like "Mussolini in drag".

For the record, I do not agree with her.

Wow, I doubt that Mussy ever got a compliment like that back when he was alive and being an a-hole.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I really wish they had let EDDIE MULLER host NEO NOIR NIGHT by himself. 

Yea Bennie doesn't seem too into them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Rewatched EDDIE COYLE last night and liked it, I still feel like the film could flow a little more, and it seems at times to be a detached movie,  watching the characters from a distance, as an outsider (maybe because the director is BRITISH.)

still, enjoyed all the DISMAL locations and GIANT CARS.

If that MERCEDES BENZ the robbers drove was a TURBO DIESEL, I bet you $100 it's still on the road today with 760,000 miles on it.

EDDIE COYLE SPOILERS BELOW!

MITCHUM was as great as I remember although he sits out large chunks of the film.

I also enjoyed the guy who looked like EVIL JAMES MASON.

but I kinda think that the best performance in the movie was from PETER DOYLE- he has scenes where he seems very stilted and awkward in his delivery, and then we discover that is because he is a disingenuous, underhanded ratfink selling out everyone and he then SEIZES the last 10 minutes away from MITCHUM and OWNS THEM.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Yea Bennie doesn't seem too into them.

Bennie doesn't seem too into a lot of them on or off Neo-Noir Friday. But I can give him a little pass, hard to maintain that facade of excitement after the 30th time.

6 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

But I can give him a little pass, hard to maintain that facade of excitement after the 30th time.

Maybe, but only if I still believed he was actually sitting there watching the film with me each time, between the (presumably pre-recorded) before + after comments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did appreciate Ben mentioning and describing what a human moment the scene was where Mitchum impulsively kisses his very average looking, middle-aged wife.  I don't think Eddie would have brought that up.  Sometimes Mankiewicz's out-of-the-blue, sensitive input can be an interesting counterpoint to Muller's gritty noir p.o.v. persona.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In my opinion Steven Keats as gun salesman "Jackie Brown" steals the show in COYLE.  

The only other film I've seen him in is HESTER STREET where he plays Carol Kane's Jewish immigrant husband in 1900's lower Manhattan.   That was an excellent performance as well from what I remember (it's been decades).

Terrific actor, gone too soon. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I really wish they had let EDDIE MULLER host NEO NOIR NIGHT by himself. 

Dig it!  It's like entertaining paired with annoying.  Or informative paired with distracting.  Or Cool paired with really? 

• Haha 2