Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

(Just to be clear, I could not disagree more with what Maslin wrote about TURNER’s performance AND soap opera acting! )

Yes, we're absolutely on the same page. Thank you for finding that quote, which perfectly illustrates how Body Heat was seen when it was first released.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kingrat said:

Yes, we're absolutely on the same page. Thank you for finding that quote, which perfectly illustrates how Body Heat was seen when it was first released.

(You probably don’t want to hear what Pauline Kael thought!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

CAUSE FOR ALARM Is in the public domain, but honestly I like it a lot. It plays like an extra good extra long episode of “the Loretta Young show“

THE ACCUSED (1949) is a paramount film, so don’t expect to see it on TCM anytime soon. However, it can often be found online. I have seen it a couple of times on YouTube and while it is very interesting, it starts out quite well, it loses steam and becomes a real mess. It also has some of the worst uses of voiceover narration I can think of in a film.

While I don't disagree about The Accused, I think I've seen Cause for Alarm at least 10 times and all of those times on TCM. would have preferred Eddie pick one that isn't shown as much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Walter_Wpg said:

>>>> It was chock full of cliches right off the bat. In the first scene, the older partner actually says “I’m getting too old for this sh$t”. We then find out that he’s only got 3 days left ‘til retirement so we know he’s gonna die. >>>

How do such plot elements become cliches anyway? Some time back in movie history, some film was the very first one in which a policeman or detective was just a few day from retirement, and later in the film he dies in the line of duty. Audiences back then may have been shocked or surprised or saddened by this plot element, since it was new to them. But now, because we modern audiences are so sophisticated, we pooh-pooh any re-use  of this plot device because we've seen it before, and declare it a cliche. So does that mean that any future film that includes a cop-dies-a-few-days-from-retirement story element will be criticized for using such a cliche, unless it has some new and fresh twist?

As film fans, we should endeavor to view films as if we were seeing them at the time they were made. If we apply 2021 standards to a film made in the 80's or earlier, many good films will appear cliched.

I've often thought that myself,  that it's unfair to call something you see in a film as "cliche", especially if the film was made some time ago.

Now, actually,  the plot detail of the main cop's partner being older and announcing that he's going to retire in a few days goes back a lot farther than 1981, you see it in "classic" noirs,  and even, I think, in some of the gangster movies of the 30s.    But I don't mind so-called "cliches" in movies, in fact I kind of like them.  I think it's all more about how the time-worn trope is woven into the story, and how well-done the film is in general, that's what matters.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Seriously though, I know she was/is a legit HUGE TALENT as an actress, But if Kathleen Turner had done a whole series of topless roles in the 1980s she would probably be one of the biggest box office stars of all time.

“KATHLEEN TURNER VACUUMS IN THE NUDE” would’ve BLOWN THE BOX OFFICE OF “E.T. “ OUT OF THE WATER!!!!!!

There's a really funny Seinfeld episode in which Jerry's girlfriend  starts hanging around his apartment in the nude,  all the time.  Jerry actually doesn't like it,  and not because he's sexually distracted by her doing this.

Not sure,  but I think there's a scene where the girlfriend starts to vacuum in the nude,  and Jerry tries to stop her.

The girlfriend is pretty and has a good figure....it's just that, well, even people with great bodies   (male or  female)  should maybe consider that not every thing they do is a great look if they're doing it naked.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

CAUSE FOR ALARM Is in the public domain, but honestly I like it a lot. It plays like an extra good extra long episode of “the Loretta Young show“

Yes, CAUSE FOR ALARM!* is very good and really pulled me in when I watched it online.  Someone on these message boards recommended it.  I think it was you,  LHF.

The movie is only about an hour and fifteen minutes.  

 

*  The exclamation point is part of the title just as it's part of the title of BOOM!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad I didn't see To Live and Die in LA back in 1985, because I wouldn't have appreciated the fantastic cinematography of Robby Muller, with almost every shot jaw-droppingly beautiful yet without stopping the film in its tracks. Direction, editing, and cinematography are all at the highest level. The story is good enough. There's a noticeable lack of women with jobs other than exotic dancer, informant, or low-rent femme fatale. Despite the female flesh on display, the most important relationships are between the men and are related to the jobs they do. This must be one of the few films without explicitly gay themes that shows the three top-billed male stars naked.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

There's a really funny Seinfeld episode in which Jerry's girlfriend  starts hanging around his apartment in the nude,  all the time.  Jerry actually doesn't like it,  and not because he's sexually distracted by her doing this.

Not sure,  but I think there's a scene where the girlfriend starts to vacuum in the nude,  and Jerry tries to stop her.

The girlfriend is pretty and has a good figure....it's just that, well, even people with great bodies   (male or  female)  should maybe consider that not every thing they do is a great look if they're doing it naked.

Sissy Spacek vacuums topless in Welcome to LA, and so does Melanie Griffith in Working Girl. That probably sparked the Seinfeld episode.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:


or maybe, I dunno...Love Shack, baby?

(I've heard that's where it's at. )

Thank you, Lorna, for this excuse to play  THE B-52S !  

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Yes, we're absolutely on the same page. Thank you for finding that quote, which perfectly illustrates how Body Heat was seen when it was first released.

WHEW! Nothing sets PANIC in my HEART moreso than THE DISTRESSED EMOJI.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kingrat said:

To Live and Die in LA  must be one of the few films without explicitly gay themes that shows the three top-billed male stars naked.

DAMMIT!!!!! NOW I'M  EVEN MORE ANNOYED IT HASN'T SHOWN UP ON ON DEMAND YET!!!!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Sissy Spacek vacuums topless in Welcome to LA, and so does Melanie Griffith in Working Girl. That probably sparked the Seinfeld episode.

I knew about MELANIE GRIFFITH but SISSY SPACEK i would never in ten million years have guessed....

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Yes, CAUSE FOR ALARM!* is very good and really pulled me in when I watched it online.  Someone on these message boards recommended it.  I think it was you,  LHF.

The movie is only about an hour and fifteen minutes.  

 

*  The exclamation point is part of the title just as it's part of the title of BOOM!

 

oh shoot! I'm sorry! I respect an exclamation point in a title!!!! (will edit)

Link to post
Share on other sites

also to add...

(pure speculation here, but...)

it is entirely possible that, much like myself, JANET MASLIN found herself personally conflicted by her own MOTH-TO-A-FLAME-LIKE REACTION to KATHLEEN TURNER'S MAGNIFICENT BREASTS.

Perhaps, like me, for days after seeing the film, she could not close her eyes without getting a clear picture of them in her mind.

and Perhaps, like me, she hated herself everso briefly for this strange new feeling as she lingered a little too long in front of the cantaloupes at the village market...

...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting that two female critics were the harshest on Kathleen Turner's acting. If people today were voting on which performance they preferred, Katharine Hepburn in On Golden Pond (which was conceded the Oscar as soon as the film opened)  or Kathleen Turner in Body Heat, I believe Turner would make a more than respectable showing.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Los Tallos Amargos — Patricia Highsmith would approve, there’s a bit of Ripley in there.  Oh man, I could watch this one again.  Only one bug was the mustache, but everybody is a slave to style I guess.  Was it believable?  Absolutely.  A psychological drama without the psychiatrist angle.  The viewer doesn’t have to suffer that.  The extreme action is what shocked me.  Didn’t see it coming and once it came it made the character even more interesting.  This is a good one all the way around.  The Live Horn Band sounded good to me, no lame  vocals by actresses that can’t sing.  You can dissect the movie, point out this and that, but is captivating to watch?  I thought this one was.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

A few things here, maybe a bit off discussion, but I saw both and felt BODY HEAT was way better.   And you mention the chase scene in THE 7-UPS, in which I anger many sheep-headed people when I say I thought it WAY better than the one in BULLITT.  And as for that movie in general, IMO, it should be "Bullitt" with a capital "BULL".  ;) 

And really, you can't have just ONE movie as an  " '80's defining flick."  due to there are many that define that decade GENRE-wise.  Like VALLEY GIRL for the "coming of age" genre, or the Indiana Jones franchise for defining the ACTION/ADVENTURE genre, etc.  And each member here too, will have what they consider any decade "defining" film picks.  And I doubt there will be any conscensus. 

Sepiatone

I have read that they went through a few Mustangs in Bullitt, but only needed one Charger as it held up much better.  I have seen the movie, but really never cared for it.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Lorna.

My television set is dying.   First green vertical lines all over the screen for two weeks, then about a half hour ago, the picture went black.   I still have sound but who knows for how long.    Had a Comcast repair guy in when I first noticed the lines and he quickly figured out it was not their cable causing the problem.   Oy!!

Have zero money in my budget.  And I'm not exaggerating.  A friend says she might be able to secure a used, "old-fashioned" one (i. e., not a flat screen) so I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Am very depressed right now. 

Had I known this would happen, I would have been more conservative with that third stimulus check.   It doesn't look like we're getting a fourth.

I know, TMI. 

The "good" news is that now, not diverted by Turner Classic Movies (sob!) I can concentrate on watching all these noir channels on YouTube.   Lots of movies.   

But I just can't conceive of not having a television constantly on in the background.

I'm getting very anxious also.

The silence will be deafening.

 

  • Sad 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kingrat said:

It's interesting that two female critics were the harshest on Kathleen Turner's acting. If people today were voting on which performance they preferred, Katharine Hepburn in On Golden Pond (which was conceded the Oscar as soon as the film opened)  or Kathleen Turner in Body Heat, I believe Turner would make a more than respectable showing.

The thought of KATHERINE HEPBURN in BODY HEAT now enters my imagination...

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Thanks, Lorna.

My television set is dying.   First green vertical lines all over the screen for two weeks, then about a half hour ago, the picture went black.   I still have sound but who knows for how long.    Had a Comcast repair guy in when I first noticed the lines and he quickly figured out it was not their cable causing the problem.   Oy!!

Have zero money in my budget.  And I'm not exaggerating.  A friend says she might be able to secure a used, "old-fashioned" one (i. e., not a flat screen) so I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Am very depressed right now. 

Had I known this would happen, I would have been more conservative with that third stimulus check.   It doesn't look like we're getting a fourth.

I know, TMI. 

The "good" news is that now, not diverted by Turner Classic Movies (sob!) I can concentrate on watching all these noir channels on YouTube.   Lots of movies.   

But I just can't conceive of not having a television constantly on in the background.

I'm getting very anxious also.

The silence will be deafening.

 

Luck has a funny way of turning around!!!

stay strong! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ElCid said:

I have read that they went through a few Mustangs in Bullitt, but only needed one Charger as it held up much better.  I have seen the movie, but really never cared for it.

Robert Altman’s BREWSTER McCLOUD (1970) Was on this morning and they absolutely SKEWER “BULLITT.” 

It’s also got a lot of 1970s car chases too, if you haven’t seen it already you might like it a lot.

ps- after seeing VANISHING POINT I am “TEAM DODGE CHARGER” all the way. That thing was a BEAST!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The thought of KATHERINE HEPBURN in BODY HEAT now enters my imagination...

Even better “BODY HEAT ON GOLDEN POND” Wherein Katherine Hepburn seduces William Hurt (with a Granny complex) to kill her husband Henry Fonda, thereby taking him MINUTES before his time by jumping out of the closet and yelling “BOO!”

Edited by LornaHansonForbes
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Luck has a funny way of turning around!!!

stay strong! 

Yes I can watch all the Chans, Wongs, Mr. Motos plus a boatload of other lesser-known mystery/horror/noir stuff on YouTube.

But of course I still feel discombobulated.

I wonder how long my sound will last....

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Even better “BODY HEAT ON GOLDEN POND” Wherein Katherine Hepburn seduces William Hurt (with a Granny complex) to kill her husband Henry Fonda, thereby taking him MINUTES before his time...

"Ned, let's not think about how much money the old poop has"

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Yes I can watch all the Chans, Wongs, Mr. Motos plus a boatload of other lesser-known mystery/horror/noir stuff on YouTube.

But of course I still feel discombobulated.

I wonder how long my sound will last....

Check out dailymotion.com too. It’s YouTube with even more lax rules. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...