Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

EDIT:  It was Polly of the PreCodes who mentioned the AFI seems to be the source of  info for the TCM schedule page.  Thanks, Polly.

Yes. I thought I had seen that and I'm certain that is the explanation. I tried to look for that post and couldn't find it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kingrat said:

I'm glad I didn't see To Live and Die in LA back in 1985, because I wouldn't have appreciated the fantastic cinematography of Robby Muller, with almost every shot jaw-droppingly beautiful yet without stopping the film in its tracks. Direction, editing, and cinematography are all at the highest level. The story is good enough. There's a noticeable lack of women with jobs other than exotic dancer, informant, or low-rent femme fatale. Despite the female flesh on display, the most important relationships are between the men and are related to the jobs they do. This must be one of the few films without explicitly gay themes that shows the three top-billed male stars naked.

I was a little stunned on another website when i found out that sweet-faced modest Jane Leeves from the sitcom Frasier had a role here as a drugged out lesbian who wears facepaint that seemingly was inspired by the band KIss. never would have expected that.....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I was a little stunned on another website when i found out that sweet-faced modest Jane Leeves from the sitcom Frasier had a role here as a drugged out lesbian who wears facepaint that seemingly was inspired by the band KIss. never would have expected that.....

She HIT PAYDIRT when she booked FRASIER. By the time the run of that show was over she was the highest paid British actress in history, I can’t remember how much it was she made a year but it was insane. Like over $10 million.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I knew about MELANIE GRIFFITH but SISSY SPACEK i would never in ten million years have guessed....

The scene from WELCOME TO L.A.  with Sissy Spacek  vacuuming starts  at around 2:39 in this video:

 

SALLY KELLERMAN   What are you doing?

SISSY SPACEK I'm cleaning.

SALLY KELLERMAN Linda! Put your shirt on.

SISSY SPACEK  Too sweaty! 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sissy Spacek stayed for 2 months at the hotel I used to work at and she was a pain in the behind (without meaning to be).  Had to have all these pots and pans and this and that so she could cook her own food.  She was not nice to the staff.  The nicest, most respectful movie actor that stayed at the hotel was by far Mickey Roark.  Just a pleasure to interact with, no ego at all,

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Los tallos amargos seems pretty deep into gay subtext. The meeting at the bar is like a gay pickup. Liudas (Vassili Lambrinos) stares at Alfredo (Carlos Cores), and Alfredo can't look away. Although Alfredo has a girlfriend, he doesn't seem all that interested in her, and he is clearly obsessed by Liudas. In the later scene with Alfredo, Elena, and a younger man, any woman like Elena who's been around would assume that a man behaving like Alfredo is attracted to the younger man.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kingrat said:

I'm glad I didn't see To Live and Die in LA back in 1985, because I wouldn't have appreciated the fantastic cinematography of Robby Muller, with almost every shot jaw-droppingly beautiful yet without stopping the film in its tracks. Direction, editing, and cinematography are all at the highest level. The story is good enough. There's a noticeable lack of women with jobs other than exotic dancer, informant, or low-rent femme fatale. Despite the female flesh on display, the most important relationships are between the men and are related to the jobs they do. This must be one of the few films without explicitly gay themes that shows the three top-billed male stars naked.

I hadn't seen it either when it came out and really liked it!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Pulp was the only dud in Neo Noir Night Friday. It started out well, but when it hit the Rooney part went downhill. Lisabeth Scott came out of retirement to do THIS? She must've had TEN lines!  Caine saved it from being a total miss. I'd seen Body Heat when it came out and liked it, still do. Like many noirs its far fetched, but engrossing. Think this was the first time I've seen it since then. I'd never seen Live and Die in LA and was prepared not to like it from the storyline, but it was my favorite of the evening! Great storytelling; acting; photography; editing etc. That chase scene!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kingrat said:

Los tallos amargos seems pretty deep into gay subtext. The meeting at the bar is like a gay pickup. Liudas (Vassili Lambrinos) stares at Alfredo (Carlos Cores), and Alfredo can't look away. Although Alfredo has a girlfriend, he doesn't seem all that interested in her, and he is clearly obsessed by Liudas. In the later scene with Alfredo, Elena, and a younger man, any woman like Elena who's been around would assume that a man behaving like Alfredo is attracted to the younger man.

I wasnt impressed with the film. SPOILERS. I was so happy when the co-worker got offed so I wouldnt have to listen to him TALK, TALK, TALK! I almost bailed on the film because of all the TALKING! (Boring beyond belief!)  Once he exited, the film got better. There was a germ of a good idea in the story, once the murder happened. Just wish it had been written differently or with a different plotline. What is so interesting about a Mail Order Journalism course????? The low budget sets didnt help either. And all the darkness. People dont even turn the lights on to READ!!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Robert Altman’s BREWSTER McCLOUD (1970) Was on this morning and they absolutely SKEWER “BULLITT.” 

It’s also got a lot of 1970s car chases too, if you haven’t seen it already you might like it a lot.

ps- after seeing VANISHING POINT I am “TEAM DODGE CHARGER” all the way. That thing was a BEAST!!!!!

Actually that was a 1970 Dodge CHALLENGER, not a Charger.  I had a 71 Challenger.  Great looking car, but a POS as far as quality and assembly.  The Challenger was Dodge's late entry into the pony car business.  It was similar to Plymouth Barracuda, but slightly longer.

Vanishing Point is a very good movie.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I was a little stunned on another website when i found out that sweet-faced modest Jane Leeves from the sitcom Frasier had a role here as a drugged out lesbian who wears facepaint that seemingly was inspired by the band KIss. never would have expected that.....

THAT was Jane Leeves? Didn't recognize her! I thought her lips looked familiar though. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Check out dailymotion.com too. It’s YouTube with even more lax rules. 

Thanks, Lorna!  Never heard of that one.  Will check it out.

So I'm dozing late last night, wake up, and see that the t.v. screen isn't black anymore.  Has a picture.  Flickering, but a picture.   Then after about 20 minutes there is a "block" of black, but not all the way down.  It's as though the block is "hiding" the real picture, which is the movie or whatever I'm watching.   And on the bottom and sides those green vertical lines keep popping up.   They're all in it together, lol.   Still have sound.   I was able to "see" (with the flickering) those French Eric Rohmer films.   Good thing they are very talky.     All these weird "digital" thingies on my screen, it just doesn't really feel like the t.v. tube is ready to burn out or anything.   But it must be since my cable is working.   I have power.

Sorry to treat you or anyone else on here as some sort of repair person who can instantly tell me what the situation is with this crazy Samsung 32 inch set.  I talk to it in low, loving tones:  "Please, for Mommy, keep going...."

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Actually that was a 1970 Dodge CHALLENGER, not a Charger.  I had a 71 Challenger.  Great looking car, but a POS as far as quality and assembly.  The Challenger was Dodge's late entry into the pony car business.  It was similar to Plymouth Barracuda, but slightly longer.

Vanishing Point is a very good movie.  

DANG IT!

Thanks for schooling me, my knowledge of classic cars is regrettably spotty.

we're on the same page with VANISHING POINT tho.

ps- it kinds comes close to being a NeoNoir itself, would've made a fair enough entry in this series.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Thanks, Lorna!  Never heard of that one.  Will check it out.

So I'm dozing late last night, wake up, and see that the t.v. screen isn't black anymore.  Has a picture.  Flickering, but a picture.   Then after about 20 minutes there is a "block" of black, but not all the way down.  It's as though the block is "hiding" the real picture, which is the movie or whatever I'm watching.   And on the bottom and sides those green vertical lines keep popping up.   They're all in it together, lol.   Still have sound.   I was able to "see" (with the flickering) those French Eric Rohmer films.   Good thing they are very talky.     All these weird "digital" thingies on my screen, it just doesn't really feel like the t.v. tube is ready to burn out or anything.   But it must be since my cable is working.   I have power.

Sorry to treat you or anyone else on here as some sort of repair person who can instantly tell me what the situation is with this crazy Samsung 32 inch set.  I talk to it in low, loving tones:  "Please, for Mommy, keep going...."

well, I will also tell you that when it comes to electronic/digital/tech problems, forming it into a question and doing a bing or google search can yield surprisingly successful results!!!!

go to one or the other and type in "my [year, make and model tv] has audio but no picture" and you might get good news...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just cannot believe that Eddie (or whoever is really programming these Noir Alley and Neo Noir shows) didn't "pick" or suggest THE LONG GOODBYE.   This is a fabulous movie.   I love it.  Elliot Gould is wonderful and so is the supporting cast.  (I'm particularly fond of the condo guard who does impressions -- you have got to hear his Barbara Stanwyck!  "Walter, I don't understand.....")  

Further eroding my confidence in Muller's expertise in this genre -- he actually compares Bob Hoskins' screen presence to someone like Robert Ryan.   Is he kidding or what.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

well, I will also tell you that when it comes to electronic/digital/tech problems, forming it into a question and doing a bing or google search can yield surprisingly successful results!!!!

go to one or the other and type in "my [year, make and model tv] has audio but no picture" and you might get good news...

Oh I have, believe me, but have gotten no satisfactory answer!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Thanks, Lorna.

My television set is dying.   First green vertical lines all over the screen for two weeks, then about a half hour ago, the picture went black.   I still have sound but who knows for how long.    Had a Comcast repair guy in when I first noticed the lines and he quickly figured out it was not their cable causing the problem.   Oy!!

Have zero money in my budget.  And I'm not exaggerating.  A friend says she might be able to secure a used, "old-fashioned" one (i. e., not a flat screen) so I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Am very depressed right now. 

Had I known this would happen, I would have been more conservative with that third stimulus check.   It doesn't look like we're getting a fourth.

I know, TMI. 

The "good" news is that now, not diverted by Turner Classic Movies (sob!) I can concentrate on watching all these noir channels on YouTube.   Lots of movies.   

But I just can't conceive of not having a television constantly on in the background.

I'm getting very anxious also.

The silence will be deafening.

 

I went through a similar thing a few years ago with a rear projection HITACHI of mine. GOOD looking picture, but started getting green lines(horizontal in my case) and wide ones too.  Replaced it with an LG "smart" TV that can't give me the aspect options the Hitachi did.  :( 

But for a second the beginning of your post reminded me of how my Dad used to joke that we needed a new TV set because;  "I've already seen all the shows on this one!"  :D 

Sepiatone

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...