Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I haven't seen CUTTER'S WAY or NIGHT MOVES, although I've heard a lot of good things about both.

I apologize if this turns into a derailing or offends any of you COENITES out there, but I tried watching BLOOD SIMPLE the last time it aired and frankly I thought it sucked.

There. i said it.

author's note: I'm recovering from a late-night visit from the Migraine Fairy, so there is no governor on my mood today. get your knickers in as much of a twist as you want over it, but I hate the Coen brothers and I detested the half an hour of BLOOD SIMPLE that I was able to sit through.

Not a big fan of it myself, though I liked certain scenes. But you could see they had talent.

I've seen Night Moves a few times and its pretty good. I saw Cutter's Way many years ago and liked it, but have forgotten what it was about.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I saw Cutter's Way many years ago and liked it, but have forgotten what it was about.

JOHN HEARD is supposed to be really good in it, copy and pasted below is the first paragraph of the wikiPEDIA synopsis (NO SPOILERS, DON'T WORRY)

 

Plot

One rainy night in Santa Barbara, California, Richard Bone's (Bridges) car breaks down in a side road. He sees a large car draw up a little way behind him. A man throws something into a garbage can. At first, Bone thinks nothing of it and proceeds to meet his friend, Vietnam veteran Alex Cutter (Heard). The following day, a young girl who has been brutally murdered is found in the garbage can, and Bone becomes a suspect.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I've seen that commercial before several times; think I saw it late at night on my local MeTV channel during a break from "The Twilight Zone" or some such.  DOWN THERE! 

Don’t I get a “bad mark” or a warning or something?  I’m still free to come and go as I please?  Mr. Gorman, some high ranking official deleted the skin cream post.  Luckily you were there.  I apologize if I offended anyone but I find that hard to believe.  I’m certainly guilty of straying off topic and I apologize for that too, sort of

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I haven't seen CUTTER'S WAY or NIGHT MOVES, although I've heard a lot of good things about both.

I apologize if this turns into a derailing or offends any of you COENITES out there, but I tried watching BLOOD SIMPLE the last time it aired and frankly I thought it sucked.

There. i said it.

author's note: I'm recovering from a late-night visit from the Migraine Fairy, so there is no governor on my mood today. get your knickers in as much of a twist as you want over it, but I hate the Coen brothers and I detested the half an hour of BLOOD SIMPLE that I was able to sit through.

I've never seen Night Moves. Really looking forward to it because I've heard good things and Gene Hackman is always excellent ( a perverse part of me wishes he HAD gotten the role of Mike Brady in the Brady Bunch instead of  Robert Reed just to see that patented Hackman "Oh c'mon _____!" snarl. Just imagine, "Oh c'mon Bobby! You know there's no throwing the football inside!" , or , "Oh c'mon Greg! You know you don't need to smoke cigarettes to fit in!". The mind reels at the possible dynamics).

I agree about Blood Simple. I've tried numerous times but just can't get into it.

Cutters Way is an odd/baffling/infuriating film. It's good. The acting is top notch but the ending makes everything that took place previously absolutely pointless.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed some of the dialogue the first time I saw Blood Simple and so the rest of the movie was a bit

on the confusing side. Since then I got the full plot and the movie was much better. I saw Night Moves

a number of years ago and that was a bit confusing too. Someone is killed in a plane crash or something.

Couldn't figure out the whole thing. I don't think I've ever seen Cutter's Way or if I did it was so long ago

I don't remember it. I'll likely watch all three or else just the last two. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I missed some of the dialogue the first time I saw Blood Simple and so the rest of the movie was a bit

on the confusing side. Since then I got the full plot and the movie was much better. I saw Night Moves

a number of years ago and that was a bit confusing too. Someone is killed in a plane crash or something.

Couldn't figure out the whole thing. I don't think I've ever seen Cutter's Way or if I did it was so long ago

I don't remember it. I'll likely watch all three or else just the last two. 

I also remember the ending of Night Moves as very confusing, particularly whether one character ends up alive or dead. It has that very 70s "We're MUCH too cool, or too stoned, to craft a clear resolution for this film" way. On the other hand, it is fun to see the very young Melanie Griffith and James Woods.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, kingrat said:

I also remember the ending of Night Moves as very confusing, particularly whether one character ends up alive or dead. It has that very 70s "We're MUCH too cool, or too stoned, to craft a clear resolution for this film" way. On the other hand, it is fun to see the very young Melanie Griffith and James Woods.

Did you see the TCM presentation about Night Moves?     The main point was that the film was about the detective and what he is going through.   The overall who-done-it part of the plot is like a MacGuffin in a Hitchcock film.       Thus I don't think it was done to be confusing because "we're much too cool,,,, etc.),  but instead because "clear resolution" was not the main reason for making the film in the first place.   

Also,  there are noir\crime films from the classic-noir era that were confusing and had untidy endings.      Films like the 40s The Big Sleep were confusing and had contrived endings,  due to the Production Code.     So while they appear to be a "clear resolution" if one looks closely they're more contrived than clear.   E.g.  Eddie Mars wasn't the one that killed Regan,  it was Carmen! 

  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In regards to NIGHT MOVES that's one of those movies that leaves the viewer to decide what exactly is going on at the end.  Heck, the ending could make sense and that's all that matters!  :)

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Question re: CUTTERS WAY

So Jeff Bridges is driving this cute little convertible that looks kind of like a vintage Jag or Aston Martin, but apparently it is called a “Healy.”
 

I’ve never ever ever heard of one of those before, can somebody walk me through what it is?

ps- As far as I know it’s still sitting in that alley in Santa Barbara, he never goes back and picks it up.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m an hour into CUTTERS WAY. 
I can’t escape the feeling that the movie could easily have told the same story (this far) in half the time. 
 

it’s ok tho. 
(And beautifully shot too, it’s making me miss Southern California.)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Question re: CUTTERS WAY

So Jeff Bridges is driving this cute little convertible that looks kind of like a vintage Jag or Aston Martin, but apparently it is called a “Healy.”
 

I’ve never ever ever heard of one of those before, can somebody walk me through what it is?

ps- As far as I know it’s still sitting in that alley in Santa Barbara, he never goes back and picks it up.

Austin Healey 3000. Beautiful little cars. Bridges should be beaten to a pulp for letting one get in the condition his was in. Several pics of them over on the "Nice car" thread.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(And beautifully shot too, it’s making me miss Southern California.)

Yet not overtly Southern Cal. Other than the Santa Monica pier, not a lot of stereotypical landmarks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Yet not overtly Southern Cal. Other than the Santa Monica pier, not a lot of stereotypical landmarks.

I don’t think that was the Santa Monica pier tho, I think it was in SB...Also there’s no way on earth you could fire that many gunshots in downtown Santa Monica and not have a SWAT team on you in MINUTES, even in 1981.

**That said, the scene where Cutter throws the stuffed animal into the water and starts shooting at it was the exact moment I really took interest in this film. That was a great scene.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Austin Healey 3000. Beautiful little cars. Bridges should be beaten to a pulp for letting one get in the condition his was in. Several pics of them over on the "Nice car" thread.

Thank you!

Correction:  I actually posted that before I was done watching the movie, the car in question made a second appearance at the end so I guess Bridges called AAA or had someone jump it or some thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2021 at 9:41 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

...I tried watching BLOOD SIMPLE the last time it aired and frankly I thought it sucked.

 

Fan of some of their later work, but I found it hard to get through this one. I did, but I caught myself nodding off once or twice. Almost anticlimactic how Visser went to such great lengths for nothing.

Going to try catching Night Moves on watchtcm later though; seems like everyone has much better things to say about it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I don’t think that was the Santa Monica pier tho,

I wondered about that too. Tried comparing it to other pics. The incline bridge appeared more steep. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I recorded NIGHT MOVES Which is good because it hasn’t shown up on demand yet. Unfortunately I don’t have the option of fast forwarding through the host segment (the option to do so has literally been blocked)  so I’m having to sit through the Howdy Doody show right now.

it really irritates me when they do that. 
 

EDIT: Five minutes and 44 seconds I had to sit there with the mute button on.   Truly, with the birth of digital television I had SO hoped that the HOURS of my life spent with the mute button on for the host introductions would no longer be compiled to.
Guess I was wrong.

PS- Eddie is not the problem.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

I wondered about that too. Tried comparing it to other pics. The incline bridge appeared more steep. 

The funny thing is, I’ve been to Santa Barbara and as I remember it, it’s really a MAIN STREET  town. Everything branches off of Main Street, and I didn’t get that sense from the film (It came off as a bit more labyrinthine) but at the same time I’ve only been there a couple of times in my life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I recorded NIGHT MOVES Which is good because it hasn’t shown up on demand yet. Unfortunately I don’t have the option of fast forwarding through the host segment (the option to do so has literally been blocked)  so I’m having to sit through the Howdy Doody show right now.

it really irritates me when they do that. 
 

EDIT: Five minutes and 44 seconds I had to sit there with the mute button on.   Truly, with the birth of digital television I had SO hoped that the HOURS of my life spent with the mute button on for the host introductions would no longer be compiled to.
Guess I was wrong.

PS- Eddie is not the problem.

We tried that ‘cut the cord’ thing. Lasted one month. Streaming sucks. Back to DirectTV and DVR.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...