Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

46 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The funny thing is, I’ve been to Santa Barbara and as I remember it, it’s really a MAIN STREET  town. Everything branches off of Main Street, and I didn’t get that sense from the film (It came off as a bit more labyrinthine) but at the same time I’ve only been there a couple of times in my life.

Just went back and checked. I totally missed them driving onto the pier. It's the Santa Monica pier.

23 hours ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

Cutter's Way is good for 4/5 of it's length then goes off the rails at it's denouement.

I think I have heard this complaint from others re: CUTTER'S WAY; maybe as a result of conditioning (or my natural contrarianism) I felt THE EXACT OPPOSITE! I was bored for the first hour, felt it was very aimless and meandering, AND THEN JOHN HEARD threw the stuffed animal off the pier and unloaded into it and from thereon, the movie accelerated for me to where I really liked the ending a lot

EXCEPT FOR....

(AND HERE BE A SMALL SPOILER)

How ON EARTH did CUTTER know what room of the ginormous mansion BONE and MR. EVIL CAPITALIST INDUSTRIALIST were meeting in at that exact moment or was it dumb luck them he chose that window to leap through? (and he did chose to, the film makes it clear it's not an accident.)

• Like 2
23 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ULL DISCLOSURE- THE ABOVE TRAILER FOR BLOOD SIMPLE APPEARS TO BE A MODERN TRAILER, NOT THE ORIGINAL.

There was a "director's cut" that was released to theaters maybe 20 years ago.

• Thanks 1

See the source image

in his book ALTERNATE OSCARS, author DANNY PEARY argues that JOHN HEARD should have won the 1981 BEST ACTOR OSCAR for CUTTER'S WAY. 

For the first hour, I wondered just what he was basing this on...and then came the scene where he and BRIDGES are watching THE POLO MATCH and he lets loose with some HARDCORE RENDING AND GNASHING, some TORTURED SOUL STUFF that in the hands of a lesser actor- say ROD STEIGER- would have been AWFUL, but HEARD makes it work.

There were numerous times thereon in the film where I looked into those piercing blue eyes of his and was sorry for THE POTENTIALLY GREAT LEADING MAN that the world of moviegoers lost out on...(HEARD, in real life, had some serious issues with drugs and abusive behavior, whether that was because of career difficulties or the cause of said difficulties, I dunno.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

also also,

the seeds of THE BIG LEBOWSKI sprouting from CUTTER'S WAY are obvious, but I would also like to note (and I apologize here) that I could not help but also see the genesis of the 1984-1993 NBC soap opera SANTA BARBARA of which, I think, it's just me and 20 million Russians who are still fans of....

click on this with caution, you will be ASSAULTED THE 1980S for a solid 35 seconds:

• Haha 1

I have seen the film first run in 84 or 85,what is the difference?  unfortunately i do not remember much of the film shown at the time,i watched the ending on TCM a few months ago.Is there many changes? Ithought the brothers did the film as they wanted it to be...

50 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Just went back and checked. I totally missed them driving onto the pier. It's the Santa Monica pier.

Really?

All right, I take your word for it. (wonder if they ran into MILDRED PIERCE...)

(I guess it makes sense that they would hang around LA waiting for the call from MR. EVILGUY)

No one reacting to the gun shots when he shoots into the water is ludicrous though.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

No one reacting to the gun shots when he shoots into the water is ludicrous though.

NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT THOUGH...

CUTTER keeps getting away with bad behavior throughout the film, it's a leitmotif...

in some ways, the most important scene in the film is the one early on where he comes home drunk and RAMS his neighbor's car repeatedly and the cops let him go with a warning because he's a NAM VET and WHITE and  A GUY JUST LIKE THEM.

In his own little universe, CUTTER was allowed to function and get away with bad behavior just like the evil millionaire in the film, it's once he decided to swim out of his lane that he ran into problems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The funny thing is, I’ve been to Santa Barbara and as I remember it, it’s really a MAIN STREET  town. Everything branches off of Main Street, and I didn’t get that sense from the film (It came off as a bit more labyrinthine) but at the same time I’ve only been there a couple of times in my life.

The main street in Santa Barbara is State Street.      I.e. most everything branches off of State Street. 

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The main street in Santa Barbara is State Street.      I.e. most everything branches off of State Street. 

Although I'm pretty sure the parade you see in this film went down the other main street in Santa Barbara...Mission Street.

• Like 1

I think I have heard this complaint from others re: CUTTER'S WAY; maybe as a result of conditioning (or my natural contrarianism) I felt THE EXACT OPPOSITE! I was bored for the first hour, felt it was very aimless and meandering, AND THEN JOHN HEARD threw the stuffed animal off the pier and unloaded into it and from thereon, the movie accelerated for me to where I really liked the ending a lot

EXCEPT FOR....

(AND HERE BE A SMALL SPOILER)

How ON EARTH did CUTTER know what room of the ginormous mansion BONE and MR. EVIL CAPITALIST INDUSTRIALIST were meeting in at that exact moment or was it dumb luck them he chose that window to leap through? (and he did chose to, the film makes it clear it's not an accident.)

That whole segment with the mansion party was what I was referring to when I said it went off the rails for me

24 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Although I'm pretty sure the parade you see in this film went down the other main street in Santa Barbara...Mission Street.

Ah yes, MAIN MISSION STATE STREET, running through the heart of sunny Santa Barbara!

I remember it well...

• Haha 3
25 minutes ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

That whole segment with the mansion party was what I was referring to when I said it went off the rails for me

Call me nuts, but I liked it- Which to be honest surprised even me, because I’m not often down with  sudden tone changes or shifts in direction in a film near the end.

(I see what you mean though...)

Did anyone ever have a high-class pool party, regatta, wedding, or  garden function In any film in the 1980s that wasn’t ruined by Rodney Dangerfield or a killer alligator or Freddy Krueger or George Burns as Satan or a runaway golf cart or Richard Pryor?

...Or in this case John Heard dressed as Snake Pliskin riding a white horse?

• Haha 5

I have to keep reminding myself to not call CUTTER'S WAY by its original title CUTTER AND BONE

I think they made a mistake changing it.

See the source image

BONE SAW ?!?!  CUTTER and BONE??!?! People had to lose their jobs over that.

• Haha 1

(sorry i keep prattling on)

but I MUST NOTE how FINE JEFF BRIDGES is in this film:

See the source image

In that case here Lorna, I must note that Nina van Pallandt who played the cougar who Bridges has just bedded in the opening scene, I thought was also pretty darn fine...

0041b02a.jpg

(...still with us at age 89, she seems to have led a very interesting life after I checked out her Wiki bio page)

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

BONE SAW ?!?!  CUTTER and BONE??!?! People had to lose their jobs over that.

I don’t think it’s a deliberate pun, the character of Bone saw the killer drop the body in the alley, literally.

But yes, one of the reasons the film was retitled was because people thought it sounded like it might be a slapstick comedy about two doctors!

• Haha 1

Tonight the film is Cause for Alarm.    A 1951 Loretta Young MGM film with Barry Sullivan.    Running at only 71 minutes which is rather odd for a 50s MGM film with a star as big as Young.

Cause for Alarm (1951) directed by Tay Garnett • Reviews, film + cast •  LetterboxdAmazon Update No. 13: “Cause for Alarm” | CharlesPaolino's Blog

• Like 2
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I don’t think it’s a deliberate pun,

Which is why everyone from copywriter to who ever signed off to the layout artist should be drawn and quartered in the studio parking lot.

• Thanks 1

The problem with films that are more about the detective than the detecting is that the detective

might be rather dull, like Moseby. A middle-aged cuckold. Not the most interesting tool in the shed,

though I guess there is a bit of world weary depression to latch onto. This time around was less confusing

and in general it's a pretty decent flick. I didn't really cared what happened to Mos at the end, whether he

just goes round and round and bleeds out or is rescued by the coast guard or is beamed aboard an alien

spaceship. The movie's over, who cares?

4 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

goes round and round and bleeds out

If only he had something handy to make a tourniquet out of. . . . boats so rarely have any spare line laying around. . . . 

1 hour ago, Moe Howard said:

If only he had something handy to make a tourniquet out of. . . . boats so rarely have any spare line laying around. . . . 

Maybe he's a hopeless landlubber.