Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

42 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Back to Noir Alley.

This is the second time I have seen Cause For Alarm and still not impressed with it.  Guess because I have a hard time with the Loretta Young role and/or her portrayal of it.  Also do not see it as Noir, but rather another 1950's drama.  After all, there is no crime in it, no criminals and so forth.  Just Barry Sullivan being paranoid.

This was my first viewing and I agree for the most part. It was sort of like The Donna Reed Show meets Alfred Hitchcock Presents.  I think it's really a reach to call this film noir.  

Now, I'm off to find CUTTER'S WAY somewhere.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
47 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Really, this neo-noir theme is...

WELL???????

WHAT IS IT???????

DON'T LEAVE US HANGING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(SORRY, after the ambiguity of CUTTER'S WAY and NIGHT MOVES, I don't think I can take any more mystery this weekend...)

• Haha 2

Just a really quick note about Cause for Alarm:  It's well-known,  and was even in 1950, that the more guilty you act, the more guilty people are going to think you are.  If you're innocent,  relax.  Running around acting guilty will only make you seem guilty.

Loretta should have said to the execrable Barry S.,  : "Yeah, so the letter was mailed.  Nothing you say is true, and I say,  I'm not worried.  And if you die-  and it won't be by my hand-  they can do an autopsy which will show there's no overdose of your medicine in your system. So nyah !"

Also, the worst thing she could have done was to remove the gun from Barry's hand.  The gun in his hand would have proved he was trying to kill her and that he was a nutter.  By removing the gun,  there'd be no evidence that Barry was bonkers and was trying to kill her.  

And yeah, Eddie's right...Loretta has no time to lose, and yet she takes several minutes to change her outfit and "get all dolled up", just to go to the post office and retrieve the letter  (which it turns out wasn't there anyway.)   The expectations in the 1950s of how women were supposed to look, no matter what the situation,  were ridiculous.

One more thing-  nosy neighbours and busy body aunts !  The flip side to the "we're all friends and we all help each other out in this neighbourhood" thing is the nosy neighbour who interferes or possibly threatens the person with their nosiness, well-meaning or not.  I would not have been able to stand living in a neighbourhood like that back then, with everyone standing around staring at everything I do.

And that little kid !  He'd have driven me crazy !  he's not cute,  he's a pain in the azz !   Get lost, kid !  And get your own cookies.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

WELL???????

WHAT IS IT???????

DON'T LEAVE US HANGING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I should read over my posts before hitting "Submit." Although the ending of  Cutter's Way is ambiguous, that ending worked for me. Something important has happened: Bone has accepted the role Cutter wanted him to take.

Arguably, John Heard, Jeff Bridges, and William Hurt (Body Heat) gave the three best performances by an actor in 1981.

• Like 3

Sounds like CAUSE FOR ALARM should be on the "Irritating Movies" list instead of Film Noir Movies List. 

@LornaH.Forbes:  I suggest you watch THE MIDNIGHT MAN (1974) with Burt Lancaster and Susan Clark.  It's verrrry complicated!  But I think it makes more sense than "Night Moves".   (I'm not saying it's a better movie, tho).

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Loretta has no time to lose, and yet she takes several minutes to change her outfit and "get all dolled up", just to go to the post office and retrieve the letter

Clearly an attempt to appear guilt free at the post office. Sadly, running true to form, she cracks again under the pressure. Had she spent more time watching Perry Mason and less time trying to please the big faker upstairs she’d have been better prepared.

The kid was a PITA, and a cookie hound. Did you see that two fisted grab of cookies when he finally left? Just take the whole box bogart! I was hoping to see the camera pan up after the gun shot to see  “Hoppy” sprawled across the sidewalk. 

• Haha 6
44 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Just a really quick note about Cause for Alarm:  It's well-known,  and was even in 1950, that the more guilty you act, the more guilty people are going to think you are.  If you're innocent,  relax.  Running around acting guilty will only make you seem guilty.

WELL, ACTUALLY : I THINK YOU MIGHT JUST BE SURPRISED!!!!

(I apologize for any derailment that may incur by my veering off on this tangent.)

about a month ago, I went to my local grocery store around 6:00 pm to buy some groceries. i checked myself out at the self-checkout (don't know if they have those in CANADA, but they are EVERYWHERE HERE.)

full disclosure- i had been doing yardwork in someone else's yard and was too tired to go home and change, so i did do my shopping in a sweaty sleeveless "wife beater" tee shirt because I work out, Iook damn good for 43 and as long as I'm covered, this is America, I pay my taxes and I am allowed to shop dressed in a floor length ballgown if I so want.

I did not keep my receipt because it is my local grocery store and I am there upwards of 5 times a week, I have shopped there for myself and my family for three decades and spent thousands of dollars in that time,.

on the way out the door, I was physically accosted by the security guard who snatched the cart out of my hands and accused me of stealing. I of course did not have the receipt because I did not keep it.

she then pushed my cart in front of me and blocked my leaving while another employee took my groceries that I HAD PAID FOR away while WHILE THE POLICE WERE CALLED.

I was told to stop lying and when I said "check the system, I paid $41.06 at checkout two" I was told "it ain't gonna be in the system" by a bug-eyed  bag girl who bore a striking resemblance to BENITO MUSSOLINI.

FIVE MINUTES LATER, the manager who REALLY REGRETS TAKING THAT SMOKE BREAK FOR THAT PARTICULAR 15 MINUTES shows up, recognizes me AND GOES AND PRESSES THE BUTTON ON THE MACHINE WHICH INSTANTLY SPITS OUT MY RECEIPT FOR $41.06.

I promptly informed all present that every last inch of my *** could then be kissed and left.

SO...

if that manager had not shown up, they would have absolutely had me arrested by the police, THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD SAY THAT WOULD CONVINCE THEM I WAS INNOCENT

IT WAS DOWNRIGHT KAFKAESQUE.

long ramble ended.

my point being that, as with LORETTA IN "CAUSE FOR ALARM!" ANYONE'S LIFE, LIBERTY AND SAFETY CAN BE SNATCHED AT ANY MOMENT. FATE AND HUMANKIND TOGETHER WILL ABSOLUTELY BAND TOGETHER TO KNOCK YOU ON YOUR BUTT AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN LITTLE UNIVERSES IN WHICH WE ARE IN CHARGE OF OUR DOMAIN, BUT AT SOME POINT, 99.99999% OF US FORFEIT THAT THE MINUTE WE WALK OUT OUR DOOR OR THE MINUTE LUCK THROWS US ONE OF HER PATENDED B!TCH-GODDESS CURVEBALLS.

And there is nothing so galling or unsettling as that lesson to learn about life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Although the ending of  Cutter's Way is ambiguous, that ending worked for me.

SORTA SPOILER IN RE: CUTTER'S WAY

me too, in spite of my ranting.

in fact, I wish it had maybe been a teeny more ambiguous, I mean, the way it is it's 90% likely that the EVIL CAPITALIST DUDE DID THE MURDERS and 10% likely that it's all in CUTTER'S MIND.

I also felt like the VERY LAST SHOT of CUTTER'S WAY was how HITCHCOCK thought the ending to SPELLBOUND was gonna turn out (it's not, it's much better!)

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

The kid was a PITA, and a cookie hound. I was hoping to see the camera pan up after the gun shot to see  “Hoppy” sprawled across the sidewalk. 

We really LOVE KIDS here on the TCM MESSAGEBOARDS DON'T WE?

WC FIELDS would be right at home!!!!!

• Haha 6

The more I think about it, the more I realize how PROFOUND a movie CUTTER'S WAY really is, it rings so true after the last few years of watching BAD MEN get away with BAD THINGS.

SOCIETY really is nothing more than an onion- layers of increasingly small circles that exist to allow MEN AND WOMEN to get away with S***.

as each layer of the onion gets smaller, a more select group finds themselves allowed to commit acts  that would get the rest of us DRAWN AND QUARTERED.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Sounds like CAUSE FOR ALARM should be on the "Irritating Movies" list instead of Film Noir Movies List. 

@LornaH.Forbes:  I suggest you watch THE MIDNIGHT MAN (1974) with Burt Lancaster and Susan Clark.  It's verrrry complicated!  But I think it makes more sense than "Night Moves".   (I'm not saying it's a better movie, tho).

SUSAN CLARK was an interesting actress, I like her a lot in THE NORTH AVE IRREGULARS. Funny that NIGHT MOVES had a line making fun of ALEX KARRAS, I think they had not yet married (or met?)  when it was filmed.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

SUSAN CLARK was an interesting actress, I like her a lot in THE NORTH AVE IRREGULARS. Funny that NIGHT MOVES had a line making fun of ALEX KARRAS, I think they had not yet married (or met?)  when it was filmed.

They met when they both were cast in the TV movie Babe, which was aired in 1975.  Wikipedia says Night Moves was filmed in 1973, so it's unlikely they had met when she made the film.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, txfilmfan said:

They met when they both were cast in the TV movie Babe, which was aired in 1975.  Wikipedia says Night Moves was filmed in 1973, so it's unlikely they had met when she made the film.

KISMET!

And then they adopted WEBSTER....

• Like 1

Well, first off, my initial problem with Cause For Alarm is that the producer or director (or Loretta herself)  were clearly trying to make her look like she's ummm . . . 20something??  when she was really close to 40 in 1950.   What is it with actresses of this era (Crawford comes to mind) that they refuse to update their look and the result is that they look like very odd, "pretend" 25 year olds when they could be terrific looking 40 year olds?  Subtlety is not much in evidence in this noir.  Barry Sullivan might as well be twirling a mustache since he is a way over-the-top-creep from the moment he appears on screen.  In the annoyance pantheon he ranks only slightly above:  The Kid, The Postman and The Aunt.  The set designer for this film went way over the top with the "ivy-covered-cottage-with-a-picket-fence" look.   God.  Not even the Munchkins would live in a house this "precious."

Love Tay Garnett but this was not one of his best by any means.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Why is Eddie perpetuating the "Loretta Young was raped by Clark Gable" story?  

She and Gable fell in lust during CALL OF THE WILD.   The result of that mutual attraction was Judy Lewis, born overseas and then "adopted" by Loretta, who later told her daughter "you are my mortal sin".  Lovely parenting.

I've always admired Young on-screen -- to me she was an underrated, naturalistic actress but as a human being not my cup of tea.  By all accounts and from everything I've read, a pretty unpleasant person.   Narcissistic, cruel, and hypocritical.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Joe Gillis said:

Well, first off, my initial problem with Cause For Alarm is that the producer or director (or Loretta herself)  were clearly trying to make her look like she's ummm . . . 20something??  when she was really close to 40 in 1950.   What is it with actresses of this era (Crawford comes to mind) that they refuse to update their look and the result is that they look like very odd, "pretend" 25 year olds when they could be terrific looking 40 year olds?  Subtlety is not much in evidence in this noir.  Barry Sullivan might as well be twirling a mustache since he is a way over-the-top-creep from the moment he appears on screen.  In the annoyance pantheon he ranks only slightly above:  The Kid, The Postman and The Aunt.  The set designer for this film went way over the top with the "ivy-covered-cottage-with-a-picket-fence" look.   God.  Not even the Munchkins would live in a house this "precious."

Love Tay Garnett but this was not one of his best by any means.

As far as your questions about "what is it with actresses,,,";   I recommend All About Eve.   

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

By all accounts and from everything I've read, a pretty unpleasant person.   Narcissistic, cruel, and hypocritical.

Characteristics of someone who might cry rape after an evening of regret?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

full disclosure- i had been doing yardwork in someone else's yard and was too tired to go home and change, 

I've seen a lot of euphemisms in my day but that one's a first 😏

• Haha 4

If we are still talking about alternate Oscars for 1981, these are the people the Academy nominated.....

Warren Beatty --Reds{"John 'Jack' Reed"}
Henry Fonda --On Golden Pond{"Norman Thayer, Jr."}
 Burt Lancaster --Atlantic City{"Lou"}
Dudley Moore --Arthur{"Arthur Bach"}
Paul Newman --Absence of Malice{"Michael Gallagher"}

James Coco --Only When I Laugh{"Jimmy Perry"}
John Gielgud --Arthur{"Hobson"}
 Ian Holm --Chariots of Fire{"Sam Mussabini"}
Jack Nicholson --Reds{"Eugene O'Neill"}
Howard E. Rollins, Jr. --Ragtime{"Coalhouse Walker, Jr."}

Melinda Dillon -- Absence of Malice  {"Teresa"}
Jane Fonda --On Golden Pond {"Chelsea Thayer Wayne"}
Joan Hackett --Only When I Laugh {"Toby Landau"}
Elizabeth McGovern --Ragtime {"Evelyn Nesbit"}
Maureen Stapleton --Reds{"Emma Goldman"}

These are who I would pick (And I classify Atlantic City as a 1980 film, not 1981)

Actor:
Jeff Bridges/Cutter's Way
Robert Duvall/True Confessions
Henry Fonda/On Golden Pond
Dudley Moore/Arthur
Donald Sutherland/Eye of the Needle

Actress:
Faye Dunaway/Mommie Dearest
Marsha Mason/Only When I Laugh
Bernadette Peters/Pennies from Heaven
Meryl Streep/The French Lieutenant's Woman
Kathleen Turner/Body Heat

Supporting Actor:
John Gielgud/Arthur
Rutgar Hauer/Nighthawks
Robert Preston/S.O.B.
Howard E. Rollins Jr./Ragtime
Rod Steiger/The Chosen

Supporting Actress:
Coleen Camp/They All Laughed
Melinda Dillon/Absence of Malice
Lisa Eichhorn/Cutter's Way
Jessica Harper/Pennies from Heaven
Loretta Swit/S.O.B.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
19 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Loretta should have said to the execrable Barry S.,  : "Yeah, so the letter was mailed.  Nothing you say is true, and I say,  I'm not worried.  And if you die-  and it won't be by my hand-  they can do an autopsy which will show there's no overdose of your medicine in your system. So nyah !"

Also, the worst thing she could have done was to remove the gun from Barry's hand.  The gun in his hand would have proved he was trying to kill her and that he was a nutter.  By removing the gun,  there'd be no evidence that Barry was bonkers and was trying to kill her.  

And yeah, Eddie's right...Loretta has no time to lose, and yet she takes several minutes to change her outfit and "get all dolled up", just to go to the post office and retrieve the letter  (which it turns out wasn't there anyway.)   The expectations in the 1950s of how women were supposed to look, no matter what the situation,  were ridiculous.

One more thing-  nosy neighbours and busy body aunts !  The flip side to the "we're all friends and we all help each other out in this neighbourhood" thing is the nosy neighbour who interferes or possibly threatens the person with their nosiness, well-meaning or not.  I would not have been able to stand living in a neighbourhood like that back then, with everyone standing around staring at everything I do.

And that little kid !  He'd have driven me crazy !  he's not cute,  he's a pain in the azz !   Get lost, kid !  And get your own cookies.

That's why I was disappointed that Eddie picked Cause For Alarm and I wrote that last week and the fact that it's been shown many times over the years on TCM. I still would have rather he got his hands on Loretta's noir The Accused instead. 

• Like 7
33 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

I've seen a lot of euphemisms in my day but that one's a first 😏

HAH! It's legit tho, I used to have my own landscaping business but now I am just a very avid gardener. There is one former client of mine that I cannot seem to shake though, and I still do work for him.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

She and Gable fell in lust during CALL OF THE WILD.   The result of that mutual attraction was Judy Lewis, born overseas and then "adopted" by Loretta, who later told her daughter "you are my mortal sin".  Lovely parenting.

I've always admired Young on-screen -- to me she was an underrated, naturalistic actress but as a human being not my cup of tea.  By all accounts and from everything I've read, a pretty unpleasant person.   Narcissistic, cruel, and hypocritical.

Oh no.

sometimes we get in fights about LORETTA YOUNG here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

in re: the whole "walking mortal sin" thing though

get mad at me for saying it, but I blame THE CATHOLICS for that moreso than Loretta.

There.

go downtown. file the paperwork. and sue me.

I said it.

(And I'd say it again.)

ps- and ON A SUNDAY NO LESS!!!!

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

It's interesting that Marlo Thomas for TCM did a tribute promo for Loretta and it's been shown on TCM over the years. Loretta was her Godmother and she talks about how wonderful Loretta was. We've all heard how Loretta was far from wonderful. Co-stars called her "Attila the Nun".  Telling Judy Lewis she was her "moartal sin" was about the cruelist thing a mother could say to her child.

On the flip side, I've also always admired Loretta as an actress. A great beauty, one of the most beautiful ever on the screen and a wonderful actress. Most times, when one of her films is shown, I watch and enjoy her performance.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1