Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Why is Eddie perpetuating the "Loretta Young was raped by Clark Gable" story?  

She and Gable fell in lust during CALL OF THE WILD.   The result of that mutual attraction was Judy Lewis, born overseas and then "adopted" by Loretta, who later told her daughter "you are my mortal sin".  Lovely parenting.

I've always admired Young on-screen -- to me she was an underrated, naturalistic actress but as a human being not my cup of tea.  By all accounts and from everything I've read, a pretty unpleasant person.   Narcissistic, cruel, and hypocritical.

Yes, that annoyed me, too.  "Revisionist history" by Loretta to clean up her image in later life.  She also had an affair with Spencer Tracy (while he was married!)  The poor, long-suffering Mrs. Spencer Tracy! Loretta clung to the image of herself as the "pure and innocent Catholic girl" but her actions definitely did not reflect that.  I laughed out loud when Eddie mentioned that Robert Mitchum put a $50 bill in Loretta's "swear jar."  Good for him.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Characteristics of someone who might cry rape after an evening of regret?

Not sure about that, but Loretta also dallied with Spencer Tracy two years earlier, during filming of A MAN'S CASTLE.

So she wasn't pure as the driven snow when Clark came along.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

It's interesting that Marlo Thomas for TCM did a tribute promo for Loretta and it's been shown on TCM over the years. Loretta was her Godmother and she talks about how wonderful Loretta was. We've all heard how Loretta was far from wonderful. Co-stars called her "Attila the Nun".  Telling Judy Lewis she was her "moartal sin" was about the cruelist thing a mother could say to a child.

On the flip side, I've also always admired Loretta as an actress. A great beauty, one of the most beautiful ever on the screen and a wonderful actress. Most times, when one of her films is shown, I watch and enjoy her performance.

I love her pre-code films but she seemed to get more and more "self conscious" as an actress as she aged which made her performances (to me, at least) much less believable.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Yes, that annoyed me, too.  "Revisionist history" by Loretta to clean up her image in later life.  She also had an affair with Spencer Tracy (while he was married!)  The poor, long-suffering Mrs. Spencer Tracy! Loretta clung to the image of herself as the "pure and innocent Catholic girl" but her actions definitely did not reflect that.  I laughed out loud when Eddie mentioned that Robert Mitchum put a $50 bill in Loretta's "swear jar."  Good for him.

And there was an actress who also threw a lot of moolah into that jar, then told Young to "go bleep yourself".

• Like 2
3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

And that little kid !  He'd have driven me crazy !  he's not cute,  he's a pain in the azz !   Get lost, kid !  And get your own cookies.

Maybe that's why she tried to run him over  --  twice. I loved how after almost killing the brat, she backs out of the driveway just as fast the second time.

• Haha 5
8 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

It's interesting that Marlo Thomas for TCM did a tribute promo for Loretta and it's been shown on TCM over the years. Loretta was her Godmother and she talks about how wonderful Loretta was. We've all heard how Loretta was far from wonderful. Co-stars called her "Attila the Nun".  Telling Judy Lewis she was her "moartal sin" was about the cruelist thing a mother could say to a child.

On the flip side, I've also always admired Loretta as an actress. A great beauty, one of the most beautiful ever on the screen and a wonderful actress. Most times, when one of her films is shown, I watch and enjoy her performance.

I also wonder if Marlo believed or in some way wanted to deflect from any notion of scandal by showing us a clip with Loretta and Clark re-teaming in KEY TO THE CITY.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, lydecker said:

I love her pre-code films but she seemed to get more and more "self conscious" as an actress as she aged which made her performances (to me, at least) much less believable.

I love her pre-codes too. I thought she was great though later on in The Farmer's Daughter.

8 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Maybe that's why she tried to run him over  --  twice. I loved how after almost killing the brat, she backs out of the driveway just as fast the second time.

I really expected her to be rammed by another car at that point.

Ellen Jones (her name was Ellen, right?) sure comes across as a dingbat in this movie. A nice lady, but a real dufus.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I love her pre-codes too. I thought she was great though later on in The Farmer's Daughter.

My favorite is THE BISHOP'S WIFE.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

My favorite is THE BISHOP'S WIFE.

Yes, and The Bishop's Wife is a favorite of mine too. Loretta's performance was excellent in it and understated. I always watch it during the holiday season and look forward to seeing it.

• Like 4

Lavender, never heard she was mean (but do remember that Marlo Thomas piece).  She evidently had a TV show before my time (with the Rambo twins - one of whom was on All My Children and died of AIDS).    She is a good actress and a beauty (a great one - I'm not so sure.  As for Marlo Thomas, I remember That Girl and Free to be You and Me.  People on TCM don't tend to bad mouth other people.  But there was a great doc on Billy Wilder shown on TCM (partially with subtitles) where he explained how he didn't get along with several individuals (e.g., Bogie and Cooper) while directing them.  His wife told him that, at the end of the day, he didn't have to go home with them.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

in re: the whole "walking mortal sin" thing though

get mad at me for saying it, but I blame THE CATHOLICS for that moreso than Loretta.

There.

go downtown. file the paperwork. and sue me.

I said it.

(And I'd say it again.)

ps- and ON A SUNDAY NO LESS!!!!

. . . Oh, you’re gonna roast in hell for sure now.  But you roast with the satisfaction of having a valid point.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
2 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Yes, and The Bishop's Wife is a favorite of mine too. Loretta's performance was excellent in it and understated. I always watch it during the holiday season and look forward to seeing it.

It's a staple for me at that time of the year.   She's so radiant and lovely as Niven's down-to-earth, supportive wife -- how could "Dudley" resist?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Lavender, never heard she was mean (but do remember that Marlo Thomas piece).  She evidently had a TV show before my time (with the Rambo twins - one of whom was on All My Children and died of AIDS).    She is a good actress and a beauty (a great one - I'm not so sure.  As for Marlo Thomas, I remember That Girl and Free to be You and Me.  People on TCM don't tend to bad mouth other people.  But there was a great doc on Billy Wilder shown on TCM (partially with subtitles) where he explained how he didn't get along with several individuals (e.g., Bogie and Cooper) while directing them.  His wife told him that, at the end of the day, he didn't have to go home with them.

Interestingly, Marlo Thomas also had the reputation for being a "steel butterfly".

• Like 1

I like Cause for Alarm more as a portrait, somewhat superficial, of early 1950s suburbia than a

noir flick, though it has some interest as a look at the paranoid guy movie. The nosy neighbor, the

little kid with the early TV merchandising getup, the mailman, the demanding hubby, the vacuum

cleaner, doctors making house calls. Good stuff. Loretta's cookie box looked like one of those cheap

ones with loads of tasteless thin cookies in them, so I don't blame the brat for taking a handful of

them. But yeah, the next time I'd put some diarrhea causing ingredient in them and then let the tyke

take a handful. See what happens to your Hopalong Cassidy pants then bub. Might want to clean the

seat of your trike off too. I noticed in one scene, I believe the one at the beach where Barry is already

starting to steal Loretta away from Grahame, that they both say they never make love on an empty

stomach, Eve Kendall's line from eigth years later. Somehow they got away with it in '51. Well all's

well that ends well. Nutty old Barry dies and I'm sure Dr. Grahame will be making further house

calls to make sure Loretta is dealing with the loss of that creep. In like Flynn. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Interestingly, Marlo Thomas also had the reputation for being a "steel butterfly".

Yes, her butler or a man who  worked for her wrote a tell all type book a few years ago. He wrote that Marlo was a b--ch. I think she was thought of as being nice before that book came out. He said she demanded fresh flowers be ordered and delivered everyday to her! and some other things that made her sound like a pampered, spoiled woman. who knows ? Her work with St. Jude's is so admirable, it's confusing. She is probably a complicated woman with a few sides to her.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

And there was an actress who also threw a lot of moolah into that jar, then told Young to "go bleep yourself".

I'm answering myself -- it might have been Tallulah Bankhead.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

He said she demanded fresh flowers be ordered and delivered everyday to her! and some other things that made her sound like a pampered, spoiled woman. who knows ? 

I remember when that was called “having flowers delivered”.  
Some level of spoilage is to be expected having grown up like she did, not to mention looking like she did. I hope it hasn’t been too tough on old Phil these 40 odd years.

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I don't blame the brat for taking a handful of

them. But yeah, the next time I'd put some diarrhea causing ingredient in them and then let the tyke

take a handful. See what happens to your Hopalong Cassidy pants then bub.

I blame his parents. You deprive the little monsters of sweets then when they have a chance they gorge themselves into a sugar coma.

Then again, there was no evidence of parents. Loretta  didn’t engage with neighbors so she just assumed the kid lived nearby. For all she knew his folks got sick of him eating all their cookies and  dropped the baked goods bandit off in the first decent neighborhood they drove through. 

• Haha 3

A side note about Arthur Penn: When Night Moves was not financially successful, and neither was his follow-up film, The Missouri Breaks, Arthur Penn's career was in ruins. As one writer put it, Penn was neither taken up by the auteurist critics who were prominent at this time nor valued by the new Hollywood establishment. He did make a few other films--Four Friends, Target, Dead of Winter, Penn and Teller Get Killed, none of them widely known--and eventually became an executive producer for Law and Order.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

I remember when that was called “having flowers delivered”.  
Some level of spoilage is to be expected having grown up like she did, not to mention looking like she did. I hope it hasn’t been too tough on old Phil these 40 odd years.

bf20094f00a5fbeeda4c4796cdfd1eb3.jpgMarlo's looks changed over the years.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, kingrat said:

A side note about Arthur Penn: When Night Moves was not financially successful, and neither was his follow-up film, The Missouri Breaks, Arthur Penn's career was in ruins. As one writer put it, Penn was neither taken up by the auteurist critics who were prominent at this time nor valued by the new Hollywood establishment. He did make a few other films--Four Friends, Target, Dead of Winter, Penn and Teller Get Killed, none of them widely known--and eventually became an executive producer for Law and Order.

ARTHUR PENN was the reason I kept watching NIGHT MOVES (And I actually turned it off after the midnight glass bottom boat/plane crash scene, but I went back this morning) 

that finale scene was brilliantly staged- he could have done some clever things as a full-on action film director. 

(On numerous instances watching “Night Moves” I couldn’t help but think to myself “wow this guy directed “the miracle worker.“ )

11 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Dead of Winter was actually a pretty good in-disguise remake of My Name is Julia Ross, that is if you could get past the dead bodies that looked like they came from a wax museum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1