Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

45 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

I remember when that was called “having flowers delivered”.  
Some level of spoilage is to be expected having grown up like she did, not to mention looking like she did. I hope it hasn’t been too tough on old Phil these 40 odd years.

From all accounts they are happily married. I'm sure they have a great life together and why  not, all that money, fame and meaningful work. Marlo is  84 years old and looks like she's in her 40's. Only the best plastic surgeons in the world at her disposal. I don't have a problem with their privileged life. If I could afford to have fresh flowers delivered everyday, I would  LOL. the butler I believe  had nastier things to say about her though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

bf20094f00a5fbeeda4c4796cdfd1eb3.jpgMarlo's looks changed over the years.

EEEEEEKKKKKK!

Quick, pass the eye bleach!

DamFsyxW4AA3Cbn.jpg38d543b56b31772ad749d44486fb1b58.jpg

Ahhhh . . that's better.

Absolutely ZERO evidence of schnozzola tinkering. 

• Haha 3
23 hours ago, Dargo said:

And which reminds me here...

While I've noticed many around here stating their dislike of having Ben sitting in with Eddie during these Neo-Noir wraparounds, I have to say I haven't felt this being that much of a negative. I sort of like having Ben there for Eddie to bounce ideas and the specs of these films off of, and in a way think their conversations as a nice little divergent manner in which to impart the specs of these films and instead of having Eddie talking directly to us and as he does on Noir Alley.

However and with being said, what HAS surprised me the most about this is that it seems Ben isn't as knowledgeable about films, and especially this genre of film, as I would've thought he might be.

(...in fact, I've gotten the idea and often feel that Eddie is pretty much "schooling" Ben on these films, and films I would've thought Ben would have had at least a passing knowledge of from his past and not as it sometimes seems that Eddie has assigned these films as "homework" for Ben to watch before their conversations commence)

I like the two of them together, their conversation is interesting. They do not seem rehearsed but sill maybe they outlined it a little. Eddie is supposed to know more about Noir than Ben because of being the Czar of Noir. He is the official expert on TCM. And maybe the explains the deference of Ben in appearing to the "student."

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

in CHESS, the KNIGHT is by far the most confounding, UNPREDICTABLE, elusive  piece you have (well, the TWO KNIGHTS you have) when i first started out playing, i would often kill my opponents KNIGHTS while sacrificing my own EARLY IN THE GAME because I just did not want to think about all the various moves a KNIGHT can pull on you. While all the other pieces in chess have to respect moving in LINEAR PATH, the KNIGHT moves in an L-SHAPED MANNER, it can SKIP OVER other figures on the board, it's almost like having a piece that CAN FLY. It also is capable of landing in a spot where it can make three or more of your most valuable pieces vulnerable, it's like holding a gun on someone's QUEEN, ROOK and KING and saying "pick one to die"- and the fun fact is, THEY HAVE TO LET THE ROOK OR THE QUEEN DIE BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SACRIFICE YOUR KING!!!!!!!!! also, later in the game, THE KNIGHT can PURSUE THE KING in an infinite amount of ways, CONSTANTLY PUTTING IT INTO CHECK NO MATTER WHERE IT TRIES TO RUN!!!!!!

Beautiful !

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

I blame his parents. You deprive the little monsters of sweets then when they have a chance they gorge themselves into a sugar coma.

Then again, there was no evidence of parents. Loretta  didn’t engage with neighbors so she just assumed the kid lived nearby. For all she knew his folks got sick of him eating all their cookies and  dropped the baked goods bandit off in the first decent neighborhood they drove through. 

Or else the neighborhood dentist sends him out on sugar stuffing missions for his own interest. This was a

time when parents were more apt to let their children roam without constantly keeping in contact with them.

But if the grumpy mailman asks you to put your hand in his pocket for a "treat," don't do it. 

I was sure that when Loretta brought Hoppy's little toy TV up into the bedroom that it wouldn't survive one

of Barry's fits, but to my surprise it remained intact. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Dead of Winter was actually a pretty good in-disguise remake of My Name is Julia Ross, that is if you could get past the dead bodies that looked like they came from a wax museum

Jan Rubes as the doctor is really creepy in that movie.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Moe Howard said:

EEEEEEKKKKKK!

Quick, pass the eye bleach!

DamFsyxW4AA3Cbn.jpg38d543b56b31772ad749d44486fb1b58.jpg

Ahhhh . . that's better.

Absolutely ZERO evidence of schnozzola tinkering. 

I don't know if this is in that butler's tell-all, but I do remember reading somewhere that Marlo only wanted unattractive looking women as neighbors/other characters in That Girl.   It's funny, though, long before that particular rumor got around I remember watching the show when it first came out and sort of being vaguely aware of the fact that "Ann Marie's" girlfriends were kind of ugly.   Apparently Thomas didn't want anyone upstaging her in that department.   

Unlike godmother Loretta, Marlo did not grow up a beauty and this probably contributed to some of her insecurities.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
30 minutes ago, laffite said:

I like the two of them together, their conversation is interesting. They do not seem rehearsed but sill maybe they outlined it a little. Eddie is supposed to know more about Noir than Ben because of being the Czar of Noir. He is the official expert on TCM. And maybe the explains the deference of Ben in appearing to the "student."

Good point, laffite. This makes sense.

So maybe what I was earlier trying to say and perhaps didn't even realize it myself was that while I like this format of having another person around for Eddie to bounce off ideas, opinions and the specifics about these neo-noir movies and instead of having  Eddie talking directly to us and as he does in his Noir Alley series, IF say the other person couldn't been on equal or near equal footing as Eddie in regard to the knowledge of this genre, and so to elicit more a give and take and possibly even a difference of opinion about of the films being shown. You know, and like when Bob Osborne and Alec Baldwin would occasionally differ in their view about a particular film on the old Essentials series.

Yep, maybe THAT'S what I really meant to say earlier.

(...and so with THIS thought in mind, do ya know who comes to mind as someone who might be even BETTER in Ben's role in this series?...uh-huh, I think I'd LOVE seein' our own CigarJoe conversing it up with Eddie on that set...sure, fat chance of THIS ever happening, but still, I think that would make for some REALLY interesting wraparounds to watch, alright!)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ARTHUR PENN was the reason I kept watching NIGHT MOVES (And I actually turned it off after the midnight glass bottom boat/plane crash scene, but I went back this morning) 

that finale scene was brilliantly staged- he could have done some clever things as a full-on action film director. 

(On numerous instances watching “Night Moves” I couldn’t help but think to myself “wow this guy directed “the miracle worker.“ )

Arthur Penn had directed The Miracle Worker on Broadway, and he had already directed The Left Handed Gun, so he was able to do the film version as well. It's not the kind of film he's best known for. Hollywood is wasteful with talent. Penn could have capably directed a variety of films.

• Like 2
On 7/24/2021 at 8:41 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

How ON EARTH did CUTTER know what room of the ginormous mansion BONE and MR. EVIL CAPITALIST INDUSTRIALIST were meeting in at that exact moment or was it dumb luck them he chose that window to leap through? (and he did chose to, the film makes it clear it's not an accident.)

Who knows? The ending is absurd. Oh, lookie, here's a guy riding a white horse through a fancy garden party of the rich, a Romantic Hero. Bones holds the gun that is already in the grip of Cutter and yes he shoots Cord, no one else. Bone is doing it the way Cutter would have liked, dead man's grip is better than nothing. Bone is protected because his prints are not on the gun. Cord says, "So what what I did," which indicates that he did it. I suppose there is ambiguity in there somewhere, maybe I should keep looking. I may be missing ambiguity but one thing I do know, it is a stupid ending.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did not have the slightest idea that Miss Jones and her doctor friend were conspiring to murder her husband. Was that supposed to be in the mind of the viewer, this possibility? I'm surprised that Eddie even mentioned this much less saying, "Gosh every time I watch this movie [which is probably I lie, really now, the Czar of Noir is going to watch this movie multiple times?] I think that she or he is going to say 'Well, it worked."" the circumstances might make this plausible in theory but entirely implausible in this movie. Loretta's voice over, sparse though it was, does not indicate that she is the perpetrator of a crime. And the "Father Knows Best," comment indicating the innocuous 50s is a clue that there is nothing terribly untoward under the surface. Let alone the fact that a surprise ending like that would require serious (albeit subtle) foreshadowing, otherwise we have a Chekhov's Gun problem.

Further uelsess thoughts:

How did they get that little kid to memorize so many line Was he dubbed? Is a child mentally capable of that kind mental acuity? What would Piaget say about this?

The helpful next door neighbor is a blast.  Forget it, no one's that nice. I wonder what she was up to?

I wanted to kill the postman.

Was that guy in the post office downtown Art Baker? Okay, Art, that's it, I'll never watch "You asked for it," again, even if it is never shown.

I rather liked the Aunt. She was rather pretty and well dressed. Of course only a geezer would say that. I won't even say anything about her most obvious shortcoming. Now, that's love.

I'll never watch this film again.

I wish Eddie would include one Neo-Noir a month for Noir Alley.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I don't know if this is in that butler's tell-all, but I do remember reading somewhere that Marlo only wanted unattractive looking women as neighbors/other characters in That Girl.   It's funny, though, long before that particular rumor got around I remember watching the show when it first came out and sort of being vaguely aware of the fact that "Ann Marie's" girlfriends were kind of ugly.   Apparently Thomas didn't want anyone upstaging her in that department.   

Unlike godmother Loretta, Marlo did not grow up a beauty and this probably contributed to some of her insecurities.

Isn't it SOP to not upstage the star? Samantha Stevens, Lucy, Mary Tyler Moore, etc, all had neighbors or sidekicks less attractive. If a rival came along that might be an equal in the looks department, they were always lacking in the character department.

Marlo appears to have had one of those awkward teenage things. She looks like a cute kid here. . . 

Little-Marlo-and-Danny-at-Night-Club-900

• Like 2

You've got a point there, Moe -- Gladys Kravitz, Rhoda Morgenstern... 

I think Lucille Ball wanted Vivian Vance to gain weight for the Ethel Mertz character....it might even have been in Vance's contract.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

THINGS♠

I thought it was Ethel Merman instead of Tallulah Bankhead who told Loretta to PYSSE OFFE.  😜

Well Ethel certainly had the mouth to say something like that, lol.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, lydecker said:

Yes, that annoyed me, too.  "Revisionist history" by Loretta to clean up her image in later life.  She also had an affair with Spencer Tracy (while he was married!)  The poor, long-suffering Mrs. Spencer Tracy! Loretta clung to the image of herself as the "pure and innocent Catholic girl" but her actions definitely did not reflect that.  I laughed out loud when Eddie mentioned that Robert Mitchum put a $50 bill in Loretta's "swear jar."  Good for him.

Gable knew about Judy Lewis for sure but a son was important for him and Gable did not need to rape any woman. He was  the Brad Pitt of his era. Women were throwing themselves at him,he prefered waitresses and secretaries by the way.  He had an on-off sexual relationship with Crawford for about 10 years,no he did not need to rape Loretta Young..   About Mitchum I do not know the $50 thing Eddie was talking about but i have read in a few books when Loretta Young was explaining the 'rates' for the fines  in the jar Mitchum yelled to her 'how much do you charge for a F$$$$ ?! I guess Eddie censored it for tv...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
13 minutes ago, nakano said:

...and Gable did not need to rape any woman he was  the Brad Pitt of his era.

He may not have NEEDED to ...

Not saying that he was rapist but it seems naive to say that because he was good looking, etc.  He could have just lost control. Rape is more about power than sex, so I read anyway. Famous and glorified people are often power mongers. We don't really know, do we? But I agree, Muller is a drip to bring it up.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, lydecker said:

Yes, that annoyed me, too.  "Revisionist history" by Loretta to clean up her image in later life.  She also had an affair with Spencer Tracy (while he was married!)  The poor, long-suffering Mrs. Spencer Tracy! Loretta clung to the image of herself as the "pure and innocent Catholic girl" but her actions definitely did not reflect that.  I laughed out loud when Eddie mentioned that Robert Mitchum put a $50 bill in Loretta's "swear jar."  Good for him.

"..........It was in 1998 — in the wake of Judy’s memoir — that Young, by then in her eighties, first heard the term “date rape” on Larry King Live, at home in Palm Springs with Ed Funk. “She asked me what that meant and I explained to the best of my ability,” Funk told me. The next night, Linda was over for dinner, and Young brought up the term again, asking for further explanation. Linda recalls telling Young that it was “basically when you’re with someone that you trust, or literally on a date with them, and you’re not compliant, or you’re saying no, and they’re not listening. And they either can’t hear it or believe the old myth of ‘Oh, you really want that.' I said, ‘It doesn’t have to be violent, it doesn’t have to be rip-your-clothes-off. It’s when your no isn’t no.'”

...........“Like, suddenly there’s a category that this thing that happened to her fits. And she was a good actress, but this was not fake.

She said, ‘That — that’s what happened to me.’

We talked about it, and it didn’t make her angry at him, it just gave her a new frame that I think lifted a lot of her guilt.”........

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/annehelenpetersen/loretta-young

:unsure:

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

HAH! It's legit tho, I used to have my own landscaping business but now I am just a very avid gardener. There is one former client of mine that I cannot seem to shake though, and I still do work for him.

I've seen a lot of euphemisms in my day but that one's a first.

(...sorry Lorna AND Ed...I JUST couldn't resist borrowing the line as it seemed to fit so very well here again for some reason)  ;) 

LOL

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

bf20094f00a5fbeeda4c4796cdfd1eb3.jpgMarlo's looks changed over the years.

Yes.   She was in the first season of The Joey Bishop Show (a show that went through almost as many permutations as Doris Day's show later on), and when I saw it for the first time a few years back, I didn't recognize her.  Her look changed in just a few years between that show and her own sitcom.

As far as flowers go, I don't think having flowers ordered in every day quite reaches the b*itch level, but it's subjective.   Not having read the book, I presume there were other actions she took to have the butler/gofer/assistant form that opinion of her.

The Joey Bishop Show (sitcom) ~ Complete Wiki | Ratings | Photos | Videos |  Cast

2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

You've got a point there, Moe -- Gladys Kravitz, Rhoda Morgenstern... 

I think Lucille Ball wanted Vivian Vance to gain weight for the Ethel Mertz character....it might even have been in Vance's contract.

Believe early on she was required to keep a few extra pounds on, and of course, her wardrobe and hairstyle was dowdy and/or more matronly than Ball's.   Apart from Ball's vanity, they were trying to give the impression Ball was at least 10 years younger than Vance to fit the character (Ball was supposed to be playing a woman in her early 30s, and she was 10 years older than that, and just 2 years younger than Vance).  Desi also touched up his hair starting sometime in the middle of the series run to cover the gray to make him appear younger (though he was still in his 30s when the series started, being 6 years younger than Ball)

Vance and Ball didn't exactly get along upon first meeting, but became friends over the course of the first series.   There's a quote attributed to Vance that went something like "if this show's a success then I'm going to learn to love that b*itch."

By the time her second series came about, from what I've read, Vance would only do it if she could have a better wardrobe and a more stylish hairdo.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Well Ethel certainly had the mouth to say something like that, lol.

I also heard that Merman made a big donation to Loretta's swear jar.   But I wouldn't be surprised if Tallulah also did it.

6 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I like Cause for Alarm more as a portrait, somewhat superficial, of early 1950s suburbia than a

noir flick...

Why Vautrin! Haven't you heard? Didn't you get the memo???

Evidently almost ANY movie from the 1940-'50s filmed in B&W and which contains at least ONE crazy *** character in it that isn't playing that charcater for laughs, is NOW considered a "film noir"! Uh-huh, and especially if someone which as a noted expert on the subject such as The Czar of Noir, aka one Eddie Muller SAYS it is, then brother it MUST be one!

(...OR in other words here folks...IF Cause for Alarm, a movie which contains absolutely NO visuals which even MILDLY suggest the story taking place in some dark and dangerous urban environment NOR a film in which the protagonist is vaining fighting against a rigged and corrupt system in which they have little chance to survive from NOR a protagonist who's attempting to get away with something that would be deemed a larcenous or generally antisocial behavior,well, IF this movie is a "film noir" and which one would THINK it should be for Eddie to present it on his series titled, wait for it, "Noir Alley", I'll EAT MY FREAKIN' FEDORA!!!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1