Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

22 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

SUSAN CLARK was an interesting actress, I like her a lot in THE NORTH AVE IRREGULARS. Funny that NIGHT MOVES had a line making fun of ALEX KARRAS, I think they had not yet married (or met?)  when it was filmed.

She always seemed to be on the verge of stardom in her career, but never quite made it for some reason.

22 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Why is Eddie perpetuating the "Loretta Young was raped by Clark Gable" story?  

She and Gable fell in lust during CALL OF THE WILD.   The result of that mutual attraction was Judy Lewis, born overseas and then "adopted" by Loretta, who later told her daughter "you are my mortal sin".  Lovely parenting.

I've always admired Young on-screen -- to me she was an underrated, naturalistic actress but as a human being not my cup of tea.  By all accounts and from everything I've read, a pretty unpleasant person.   Narcissistic, cruel, and hypocritical.

Eddie was very inaccurate in his Loretta update at the end of the film. Loretta adopted the child BEFORE she married Tom Lewis. There was never any secrecy about that. He adopted her later on when they married.  He acted like there was some sort of cover up. The only cover up was that Judy was Loretta's real daughter.  And this date rape thing is ridiculous! That is a second hand story from Loretta's daughter in law that she says happened before Loretta died. There is nothing to confirm this or that it ever happened. A way to make Loretta an innocent unwed mother after the fact? Gable could have had any woman he wanted in his heyday. Like he'd resort to that? And if it was rape WHY would Loretta appear with him in Key to the City years later? Also Gable DID know that Judy was his daughter and even met her during the Key to the City filming at her house. Judy was not aware of this until after he died. Very sloppy journalism from Eddie and was disappointed in his careless presentation of all this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
21 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Why is Eddie perpetuating the "Loretta Young was raped by Clark Gable" story?  

She and Gable fell in lust during CALL OF THE WILD.   The result of that mutual attraction was Judy Lewis, born overseas and then "adopted" by Loretta, who later told her daughter "you are my mortal sin".  Lovely parenting.

I've always admired Young on-screen -- to me she was an underrated, naturalistic actress but as a human being not my cup of tea.  By all accounts and from everything I've read, a pretty unpleasant person.   Narcissistic, cruel, and hypocritical.

Very true.

21 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Characteristics of someone who might cry rape after an evening of regret?

There is no evidence that she even cried. This is a story perpetuated by her daughter in law AFTER Loretta died.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, lydecker said:

Yes, that annoyed me, too.  "Revisionist history" by Loretta to clean up her image in later life.  She also had an affair with Spencer Tracy (while he was married!)  The poor, long-suffering Mrs. Spencer Tracy! Loretta clung to the image of herself as the "pure and innocent Catholic girl" but her actions definitely did not reflect that.  I laughed out loud when Eddie mentioned that Robert Mitchum put a $50 bill in Loretta's "swear jar."  Good for him.

This only came out AFTER Loretta died. It's revisionist history by her daughter-in-law.

• Thanks 2
20 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

And there was an actress who also threw a lot of moolah into that jar, then told Young to "go bleep yourself".

Tallulah. :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Yes, her butler or a man who  worked for her wrote a tell all type book a few years ago. He wrote that Marlo was a b--ch. I think she was thought of as being nice before that book came out. He said she demanded fresh flowers be ordered and delivered everyday to her! and some other things that made her sound like a pampered, spoiled woman. who knows ? Her work with St. Jude's is so admirable, it's confusing. She is probably a complicated woman with a few sides to her.

He made her out to be a complete control freak (I read it) If things went well, she was ok. If anything went wrong, watch out! There's a Thanksgiving dinner scene in there where Marlo goes off the rails about something with all her family there that's pretty scary if true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
18 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Dead of Winter was actually a pretty good in-disguise remake of My Name is Julia Ross, that is if you could get past the dead bodies that looked like they came from a wax museum

I'd forgotten about Dead of Winter.

13 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Eddie was very inaccurate in his Loretta update at the end of the film. Loretta adopted the child BEFORE she married Tom Lewis. There was never any secrecy about that. He adopted her later on when they married.  He acted like there was some sort of cover up. The only cover up was that Judy was Loretta's real daughter.  And this date rape thing is ridiculous! That is a second hand story from Loretta's daughter in law that she says happened before Loretta died. There is nothing to confirm this or that it ever happened. A way to make Loretta an innocent unwed mother after the fact? Gable could have had any woman he wanted in his heyday. Like he'd resort to that? And if it was rape WHY would Loretta appear with him in Key to the City years later? Also Gable DID know that Judy was his daughter and even met her during the Key to the City filming at her house. Judy was not aware of this until after he died. Very sloppy journalism form Eddie and was disappointed in his careless presentation of all this.

Yes, excellent points, Hibi.

Eddie seemed positively gleeful telling us "Loretta Young had a noir back story of her own".   

• Haha 1

I have mentioned before on here how much I look forward to Saturday night and Noir Alley. The favorite part of my week as far as TCM goes. I have seen many noirs in that time slot as a result. Cause For Alarm is the first time I turned a noir off and went to bed. I usually never turn off movies, no matter how uninteresting they are because I figure something can come about close to the end of a movie that makes the patience getting there worth it. Plus, I like to study the movies I watch and always find something even if it is a microphone shadow or an obvious lighting miscue, etc.  I couldn't get through Cause For Alarm, however. I couldn't take the attitude of the husband, for one. Also, Loretta Young's character was so accommodating to him through all his abuse. I know other movies can play out in a similar way, but I just couldn't take it in this movie. Oh well, I certainly still look forward to Noir Alley next week and remember how disappointed I was over the several weeks not too long ago when those movies were not on.

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Eddie was very inaccurate in his Loretta update at the end of the film. Loretta adopted the child BEFORE she married Tom Lewis. There was never any secrecy about that. He adopted her later on when they married.  He acted like there was some sort of cover up. The only cover up was that Judy was Loretta's real daughter.  And this date rape thing is ridiculous! That is a second hand story from Loretta's daughter in law that she says happened before Loretta died. There is nothing to confirm this or that it ever happened. A way to make Loretta an innocent unwed mother after the fact? Gable could have had any woman he wanted in his heyday. Like he'd resort to that? And if it was rape WHY would Loretta appear with him in Key to the City years later? Also Gable DID know that Judy was his daughter and even met her during the Key to the City filming at her house. Judy was not aware of this until after he died. Very sloppy journalism from Eddie and was disappointed in his careless presentation of all this.

Maybe next week he will reply and refute what he said.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

He should have been at LEAST nominated! Had the film done well, he probably would have.

I have no idea myself whether he should have been nominated or not, but I am not surprised that he was not. Maybe it depends whether berserker acting out like that is considered acting. What impressed me most was when he was sober. Those squinting eyes and penetrating dialogue, quite riveting.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, laffite said:

I have no idea myself whether he should have been nominated or not, but I am not surprised that he was not. Maybe it depends whether berserker acting out like that is considered acting. What impressed me most was when he was sober. Those squinting eyes and penetrating dialogue, quite riveting.

Who?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Gable's wikipedia page says they had a daughter from an affair and that only in 2014 did Young's son say to Buzzfeed that he was told by Young and Gable's daughter that she had been told herself in 1998 that Gable date-raped her mother.  Seems pretty risky to present that as fact now.

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, Stallion said:

I have mentioned before on here how much I look forward to Saturday night and Noir Alley. The favorite part of my week as far as TCM goes. I have seen many noirs in that time slot as a result. Cause For Alarm is the first time I turned a noir off and went to bed. I usually never turn off movies, no matter how uninteresting they are because I figure something can come about close to the end of a movie that makes the patience getting there worth it. Plus, I like to study the movies I watch and always find something even if it is a microphone shadow or an obvious lighting miscue, etc.  I couldn't get through Cause For Alarm, however. I couldn't take the attitude of the husband, for one. Also, Loretta Young's character was so accommodating to him through all his abuse. I know other movies can play out in a similar way, but I just couldn't take it in this movie. Oh well, I certainly still look forward to Noir Alley next week and remember how disappointed I was over the several weeks not too long ago when those movies were not on.

Loretta could not have acted any differently. I thought her behavior realistic. She appears to be very much in love with her husband and the very idea he expresses to her is so preposterous to her she hardly as the wherewithal to even deal with it. How would Barbara Billingsley or Donna Reed have responded to such a thing! Probably the same. This is why perhaps that Eddie threw out his Father Knows Best comment.  There is an earlier post where every action of Loretta is second guessed. She should have stood up to her husband as if to say, "Ah, gowan, you're full of crap," she shouldn't have touched the gun, she shouldn't have taken the time to fix herself (actually I admired her for this, she felt her chances improved not to go disheveled, she took the time didn't panic), as well as she should have done this or that ... but  she is just a housewife, not some modern, liberated, assertive, severe, kick azz, don't mess with me femme fatale type.

Further Useless Thoughts;

Maybe Eddie should change the name of the program, i.e., Noir Alley et al, this way he could air The Yearling if he wants to.

I wonder how much Loretta charges for bullcrap.

////

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Stallion said:

I agree about the beginning of Cause For Alarm, but when hubby conks out it takes off.  I was all in.  Hadn’t seen it before.  There was a particular scene that really worked — Young and Doctor are downstairs with hubby dead upstairs and the doorbell rings.  Doctor says to Young to answer it.  She tries but can’t do it, and shrinks back and admits it.  An example of acting behind behind the beat.

18 hours ago, laffite said:

I wish Eddie would include one Neo-Noir a month for Noir Alley.

This is a great idea. Especially if Eddie is running short on B&W noirs from the 40s and 50s. I'd rather watch a good neo-noir (like BODYHEAT) instead of weak melodramas like CAUSE FOR ALARM.  IMHO the last few films haven't been that great and classifying them as noirs was a bit of a reach.  I think CHINATOWN is probably my favorite neo-noir as well as LA CONFIDENTIAL and THE BLACK DAHLIA. 

• Like 1

Case for The Yearling as noir:

Actor Gregory Peck.  He was in a great, end-of-classic-era noir,  Cape Fear.

Family in peril:  mother , father,  and young son are isolated in the backwoods of the Florida wilderness.  Crops could fail at anytime, floods could occur...all kinds of scary stuff.

Murder of innocent victim is planned:  poor little Flag is  shot dead, and by someone he trusted.

Actually,  I love The Yearling, but would advocate for it being classified as a noir as much as I would  Meet Me in St. Louis  (well, maybe that Hallowe'en scene...throwing flour in someone's face when they come to the door, pretty violent ! )

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
1 hour ago, Thompson said:

I agree about the beginning of Cause For Alarm, but when hubby conks out it takes off.  I was all in.  Hadn’t seen it before.  There was a particular scene that really worked — Young and Doctor are downstairs with hubby dead upstairs and the doorbell rings.  Doctor says to Young to answer it.  She tries but can’t do it, and shrinks back and admits it.  An example of acting behind behind the beat.

Loretta was pretty good throughout. But particularly good in your scene here. Her anxiety is well done, palpable. Man, she was at the end of her rope. And who hasn't experienced in some form or other the immense relief she feels clutching that letter. I had an experience like that fairly recently, but not to worry, I am no TMI freak. This movie draws a lot of flack and yet there are saving graces here and there. They may not be wholly redeeming but they are there.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Samuel L Jackson.

Jackson would be a worthy competitor. I think these two should get into a cuss throw down and crown

the winner the king of the *************. 

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, Hibi said:

She always seemed to be on the verge of stardom in her career, but never quite made it for some reason.

Webster was huge... in Japan.

I recognized her from Porky's.

I think noir is now partly a merchandising ploy/brand name. Stick the label on anything and it is

likely to get more interest; plus Americans will fall for just about anything in French, though escargot

never quite made it. Another cause for alarm was all those flowers around Loretta's porch. They must 

have been a magnet for all sorts of bugs and things. Bzzzzzzzz.

• Thanks 1